Does/can anyone watch tv if kids are awake? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-04-2006, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I only watch tv if my boys are asleep. So many reasons why- I need to listen to them to make sure they're not getting into things, most of the time tv is crappy anyways (we don't have cable), I'd rather them see me doing other things, etc. A few times I got really bored and tried to watch the news but the boys kept jumping on me and asking for one of their videos. So I am really bored right now, there is no good news on the radio, and dont feel like doing housework. Dare I put a video on for myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 11-04-2006, 02:48 PM

Do it. If the kids jump on you and demand one of their videos, tell them "no".

The word "no", in moderation, is not a bad thing. LOL!
#3 of 11 Old 11-04-2006, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reading works better for me because it doesn't draw attention. Otherwise, it has to be something that ds and I both find interesting which is amazingly quite a bit. He likes stuff like This Old House, Nova, and National Geographic in addition to more typical kid stuff (Cyberchase, Pokemon, etc). You could also check out whether your library has anything interesting in their audio book section.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#4 of 11 Old 11-04-2006, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sure! We watch TV and videos a lot over here. You can always take frequent pause breaks to check on everyone or if they need you.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#5 of 11 Old 11-04-2006, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelle View Post
Do it. If the kids jump on you and demand one of their videos, tell them "no".

The word "no", in moderation, is not a bad thing. LOL!
:

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#6 of 11 Old 11-04-2006, 04:17 PM

my ds is 8 months and i don't watch tv at all if he is awake. i don't want him to watch it and i don't want him to hear it, so dh and i only watch movies after he's asleep for the night.

i don't normally use the internet during the day when i'm the only one with him, either.
#7 of 11 Old 11-04-2006, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

All great answers. I actually decided to read them some books while waiting for responses. But next time I get bored, I am going to put something on for myself!
#8 of 11 Old 11-04-2006, 04:33 PM

When I was home nursing a newborn and pretty much just doing that I would just sit in my bed or the rocking chair and nurse away watching my soaps, FoodTV, Daily show...etc. It was very relaxing, just trying to get the whole nursing thing down (was not easy for me) and to heal from 2 traumatic births (yes, 2 within 11 months of each other).

As we all got older as a family the TV hardly comes on anymore during the day. Once in a while we watch a movie together, but we are too active and busy. Nevermind watching something I want to watch! Never will happen with 2 toddlers running around. They wouldn't let me get away with it!
#9 of 11 Old 11-05-2006, 03:19 PM

I don't. But that's because I don't want dd exposed to tv very much. This is a rare moment right now that I'm able to even get on the computer. But that is increasing. (not comp time...just time to myself). It's not even the tv stuff that bothers me as much as the commercials. I would read...I love to read.
#10 of 11 Old 11-05-2006, 05:31 PM

When my lo was a newborn I watched TV a lot! (and read a lot too as he pretty much nursed 24/7 for 3 months!)

Now my lo is nearly 2. I do still watch TV but I find I have to read to him or play at the same time, which is fine - I got good at multi-tasking!lol

ETA - I do only watch about an hour, tops, of TV now per day!
#11 of 11 Old 11-06-2006, 12:57 PM

I watch TV while DS is awake but I have to get snatches of a movie from the TV in my bedroom because DS rules the TV in the family room.

It stays on Noggin or PBS Sprout or Boomerang and because I don't feel like wathcing Thomas or Noddy, I might sip into my bedroom for about 5 minutes.

It gets easier as DS gets older. Every New Year's Eve (and Day), the Sci Fi channel runs The Twighlight Zone Marathon.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the The Twighlight Zone with Rod Sterling so I am going to watch IT!!!

I don't ask for much but this year is Non Negotiable

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page