Forum Jump: 

#61 of 80 Old 11-09-2006, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalou View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-...=baby-products

As for my opinion I love it over the Britax b/c the bottom of the seat is lower. DD's legs don't fall asleep like they did in the Britax and the seat is easy to get on and off an airplane and travel with. It also makes it much easier for dd to get in and out of. It's convertible although we didn't need it to be. And cheaper than Britax. At least for now.

:

I love our Radians. They were $50 cheaper each than the Britax that goes to 65 lbs, the girls are very comfortable, I can get them in tight quickly which is important since I use my mom's car. I haven't used them rear facing (baby is still RF but in the evenflo) but I have been very happy with them FF and I am thinking of turning the girls back around if they will let me (they are only 24 & 28lbs)

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#62 of 80 Old 11-09-2006, 05:39 AM

I'm calling our local Chevy place tomorrow to see about tethers. We have a Chevy Blazer ('96) so I'll be surprised if they can do it, but it's worth looking into.

I'm looking at a safety 1st Apex - or something like that (has a 5pt. harness that works for bigger kids, too, then goes to a highback booster?).

Jenn
#63 of 80 Old 11-09-2006, 01:49 PM

My take? Current reccomendations are that a child needs to be 4 before they are in a booster, this poor baby was barely 3. 3yos are NOT mature enough to use boosters. Who knows if his seat was even buckled in. My oldest had to ride in a booster once (terrifying for me) and the first thing he did was unbuckle the seatbelt. Many cars are in crashes several times before they are no longer used. Whose to say however they determined that the seatbelt had been buckled during the crash wasn't from a previous one? No matter what happened, I still strongly believe things would've been different had he been in a 5pt harness. He needed a higher weight limit since he was 40#, but not all children do, so keep that in mind. That being said, AJ is getting a Regent next year, but it has nothing to do w/ this video.

We have the Radian, you can see my pics there. It's worked out well for us despite installation issues in some cars.

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...Kids%20Radian/

Quote:
There needs to be a better gage of when to have a child sitting in a 5 point. There are many skinny/thin people out in this world.
There is, it's called the 5pt test. If you couldn't pass this as an adult, technically you should still be in a booster. Average height is 4'9" when you can pass this test.

http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm

Quote:
As a result I did go out and buy (2) 5 point harness boosters from ToysRUs for 69.00 each. They are rated up to 100lbs and have a double latching back up system that latches to the the mounts between the back of the seats and the couch as well as being Teathered and also Lap Belted.
Like someone mentioned, these only go to 40# harnessed, so would not have helped a child Kyle's size. Also, you can only install a seat using LATCH OR the seatbelt, not both so your seats are NOT properly installed. You also must unhook the seat from the car (including tether) when you go to use them as a booster. Please have your seats checked. www.seatcheck.org

Quote:
I'm looking at a safety 1st Apex - or something like that (has a 5pt. harness that works for bigger kids, too, then goes to a highback booster?).
You need high back seats or headrests to use this seat, but if you have them it's an o.k. seat.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#64 of 80 Old 11-11-2006, 02:40 AM

Hi,

Just FYI: I found and purchased a Britax Regent today at a new website, that actually had them in stock with free shipping. I paid $249. It is www.macrobaby.com

I used to be really anal about carseats. I can tightly fit a Britax into any car! And am eager to tell all parents to put their infant carseat handle down while driving!

But, after 4 children, I got lazy. My 4 1/2 year old daughter is/was in one of the Graco Boosters...I always buckled her in, and fought with the belts! She is only 34 pounds, and squirmy! It just doesn't fit her right.

My 6 and 7 year olds are in the graco bases only with the shoulder belts. They fit well!

My baby 10 months is in a Britax roundabout! I will now keep her rear-facing longer. Then, I am going to move her to my Maxi-Cosi Priori. It is a European carseat that I fell in love with when they were still importing them to the states...lock off clips and teather as well as a one-hand multiple position recline. They are still selling them overseas!

I say the more information the better! If you can buy it, great! If not, then make sure that you are using that convertable until 40 pounds, and then make sure that you are buckling in your child in her booster seat!

I hope this finds you all well,
Stephanie
#65 of 80 Old 11-11-2006, 02:54 AM

Like someone mentioned, these only go to 40# harnessed, so would not have helped a child Kyle's size. Also, you can only install a seat using LATCH OR the seatbelt, not both so your seats are NOT properly installed. You also must unhook the seat from the car (including tether) when you go to use them as a booster. Please have your seats checked. www.seatcheck.org

I am so glad that you pointed this out! A lot of times, people think they can buck the system, and be smarter/safer than safe. Convertable booster seats that transition from 5 point harness to lap-positioning booster seats....do just that TRANSITION!

You cannot double buckle or teather after the transition. It makes the seat less safe, and your child in more danger. Seats are designed specifically to absorb impact and also to protect your child.

In a crash, the seat back moves with your child against the belt, and thus protects his head and neck. If the booster is teather or latched to the seat, it cannot move with the child. Thus the child violently moves forward, then slams back against the seat ....that has remained stationary. It is like hitting a brick wall.

Read and follow your carseat's instructions! Front to back!

NOTE: How many of you know to put your carrying handle, on your infant carseat, down resting against the front seats? It is in the manual!

Hope all is well,
Stephanie
#66 of 80 Old 11-11-2006, 02:58 AM

Thanks for the video link...so sad

Dd is long ways away from moving to a booster but I'm wondering does anyone know the name of the car seat that was in the Mothering magazine Cool Picks section? It was several issue back. It looked like a convertible or booster seat. It had a dial on the front to adjust the straps...it looked really nice. It wasn't a Britax. It was a name I've never heard of...wondering what that one fits up to and it's safety rating?

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#67 of 80 Old 11-11-2006, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniebrookeh View Post
NOTE: How many of you know to put your carrying handle, on your infant carseat, down resting against the front seats? It is in the manual!
Good point! I read my manual front to back so I knew this but I see car seats with them up sometimes...using them to put toys on for baby to play with.

Also I never thought about it before until I read it somewhere that you shouldn't have loose article inside your car in case of them becoming missiles during a crash. This is hard/impossible to do at times and I don't know how real of a threat this is.

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#68 of 80 Old 11-11-2006, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniebrookeh View Post

Stephanie....this is no longer the case. Handles can be in any one of many positions now. Refer to your car seat manual for your recommended handle position while driving. In addition, it is not recommended that an infant carrier handle be touching the backs of the seats in front of it. This prevents the infant carrier from moving as designed and would affect its performance in the event of a crash.

Dallaschildren
CPS Instructor and momma to 2 sons in seats
#69 of 80 Old 11-11-2006, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
You need high back seats or headrests to use this seat, but if you have them it's an o.k. seat.
I thought you needed a highback booster if you DIDN'T have a headrest in the car? We have a headrest on the seats behind the passenger and driver seats.

Jenn
#70 of 80 Old 11-11-2006, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabrog View Post
I thought you needed a highback booster if you DIDN'T have a headrest in the car? We have a headrest on the seats behind the passenger and driver seats.

Jenn
The Apex specifically requires high back seats or headrests to support it - it isnt just a high back booster tho.. it harnesses to 65 lbs.
#71 of 80 Old 11-11-2006, 08:21 AM
WNB

Another car seat thread!

I am looking for a convertible carseat that needs to meet two major criteria:
1) will fit in a Subaru Forester
2) is FAA certified for use on an airplane

Is it worthwhile for me, with just a 4-month old, to seek out seats that go to 65 pounds, or would the seat be too old anyway by the time DD is that weight?

Thanks in advance!

(I'm going to x-post on the car-seat-safety.org site too.)
#72 of 80 Old 11-11-2006, 10:39 AM

Well, here's my dilemma. Maybe someone else can help with it. We have our 2.5 year old in a convertible car seat (forget what brand) in the middle spot of our back seat, as that is said to be safer than a side seat. He is still rear-facing (weighs less than 30 lb.). However, the car seat is installed with the seat belt as our car (Subaru Legacy) only has LATCH on the side seats. What is more risky, being in the side seats or using a seat belt to install the car seat? We had it installed by an inspector, so I'd assume she'd tell us if she thought that using LATCH vs. seat belt was more important than being in middle spot.

We do not use the tether as that is only for forward-facing, according to the car seat instructions. Thanks!
#73 of 80 Old 11-11-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie29 View Post
Well, here's my dilemma. Maybe someone else can help with it. We have our 2.5 year old in a convertible car seat (forget what brand) in the middle spot of our back seat, as that is said to be safer than a side seat. He is still rear-facing (weighs less than 30 lb.). However, the car seat is installed with the seat belt as our car (Subaru Legacy) only has LATCH on the side seats. What is more risky, being in the side seats or using a seat belt to install the car seat? We had it installed by an inspector, so I'd assume she'd tell us if she thought that using LATCH vs. seat belt was more important than being in middle spot.

We do not use the tether as that is only for forward-facing, according to the car seat instructions. Thanks!
There is nothing inherently risky about securing a seat with the seat belt...as long as the seat is properly installed.
#74 of 80 Old 11-11-2006, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie29 View Post

It is always safest practice to install a CRS in the rear center seat position assuming one child. The only thing that trumps that, is if the car seat is not compatible there (ie: pull down arm rest or cupholder and the manuf. states do not install a rear facing car seat there, or vehicle belt incompatibility; (an example of that is lateral lift) or even size of center seat which does not accomodate a car seat at all.
Here is a past thread in more detail. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=155867
LATCH and seatbelt installs are just two different methods. One is not safer than the other. HOW you install it is the key.

Dallaschildren
CPS Instructor and momma to 2 sons in seats
#75 of 80 Old 11-11-2006, 02:16 PM

OK, I think I get it now. Thanks so much. I appreciate it. Thanks also for the link to the other thread, DC, I've wondered how to position once we have a second child.
#76 of 80 Old 11-11-2006, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugginhippie View Post
Also I never thought about it before until I read it somewhere that you shouldn't have loose article inside your car in case of them becoming missiles during a crash. This is hard/impossible to do at times and I don't know how real of a threat this is.

I just learned this also. It makes perfect sense.

The other day I went to a climbing store nearby and bought some webbing to tie into short (2 foot) loops connected to the tether tie-in in the way back of my Sienna (the kids are in the 2nd row). I got some carabiners to attach to the webbing loop that I use to clip anything into that is back there (diaper bag, clip-on high chair, etc). I also created one to tie down the stroller which lives in the back of my car. Now if we get in a crash or roll-over the stuff won't fly all over the car.
#77 of 80 Old 11-11-2006, 04:53 PM

okay did I read that right that you should have either latched or seatbelted.
#78 of 80 Old 11-11-2006, 08:26 PM

So the Apex should work fine in our car - thank you! I want it because it harnesses to such a high weight!

Jenn
#79 of 80 Old 11-12-2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moochie Mamma View Post
I just learned this also. It makes perfect sense.

The other day I went to a climbing store nearby and bought some webbing to tie into short (2 foot) loops connected to the tether tie-in in the way back of my Sienna (the kids are in the 2nd row). I got some carabiners to attach to the webbing loop that I use to clip anything into that is back there (diaper bag, clip-on high chair, etc). I also created one to tie down the stroller which lives in the back of my car. Now if we get in a crash or roll-over the stuff won't fly all over the car.

We use bungee cords.

DC
#80 of 80 Old 11-12-2006, 07:58 PM

Yeah we have a Subraru Forester and I recently started closing that back cover each and every time I drive, b/c the stroller also lives back there, and there is a flashlight as well and maybe a tub of wiper fluid. Although, now that I think about it, I wonder if that could come undone in an accident? I'm a little confused by your description (me not you, don't worry) I should just get some of those caribeaner thingies, and some kind of cords and attach them to something back there? I also don't leave ANYTHING loose in the front seat if I can help it, save for a sling and baggie with diaper in it. I'm assuming a flying hotsling wouldn't kill us in an accident. But MDC posters made me aware of not having anything loose in a car.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page