cutting down TV time - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-10-2006, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am not quite there yet, but hopefully will after the new year. Before Oct, DD1 (she'll be 4 next month) just watched a video once in a while, and maybe a cartoon or two a week, and that just started this year. We could easily go a week or more without turning on the TV. I would turn it on when I needed to sit down or etc... DD1 never asked for TV.

Fast forward to Oct, DD2 was born, TV time got increased alot, then we all got pertussis. DD1 couldn't run around and play for several weeks without throwing up, more TV time. Now DD2 has a bad case of pertussis, I literally do nothing all day but sit on the couch holding her while she is coughing and nurse her, which equals DD1 being parked in front of the TV for hours.

DD1 isn't able to entertain herself anymore, it's not like she was that great about it before. If DD2 isn't vomitting everywhere for once and the TV is off, I try to play with DD1, she just begs for it to be turned back on. I know this will be a weaning process, DD2 is still pretty sick, I know it is going to be a couple more weeks before our house feels somewhat normal again. DD1 still isn't fully herself yet either, so my goal is to start in the new year.

Any tips, suggestions from moms who have been here?

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#2 of 2 Old 12-10-2006, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I, too, worried a great deal about the amount of TV DD was watching and that she wasn't learning to entertain herself but was becoming dependent on the TV (videos, actually. We don't get good tv reception out here). I was really agonizing over how hard it was going to be to cut down on TV and how in the world we were going to do it.

Then the power went out for three days. We had no choice about the TV. DD asked several times for the TV, but eventually stopped, and found other things to play with.

I realized that it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be, and for us, anyway, the best thing was cold turkey. Maybe even put the TV in storage somewhere out of sight. Its not really good for Mama to become the entertainment instead of the TV, I don't believe, because then she would be just as dependent on me as she had been on the TV. I would make sure she has activities (playdoh, crayons, etc) and even set some things up for her, but not become the TV replacement.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page