Mothering Forum banner

Girls in science?

500 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  lalaland42 
#1 ·
My daughter is 7 and at this point wants to be an entomologist. Of course, she's only 7, but this has been an interest for 2-3 years now. She watches bug shows, has an insect collection, reads books about insects, etc. However, in the first grade she is already experiencing other girls telling her "bugs are yucky; you shouldn't like them" and that sort of thing.

I was hoping the women in science on this forum could point me in the direction of resources for keeping girls interested in science!

Thanks in advance.

PS I hope this is in the right forum - it was hard to figure out exactly where to put this thread.

#2 ·
When I was a kid they had subject-specific "kids' university" at both of the colleges in my town during the summer. Many of them were specifically designed for girls who were interested in science or engineering. I would look for enrichment programs in biology for her with people who will build her scientific curiosity.

Of course, as her mother, you are in a great position to encourage her by expressing interest in her interests and giving her a "leg up" when she seems down about being a smart girl (or whatever).

I hope your daughter can follow her dream to become and entemologist. It's important to follow your dreams and enjoy your profession!

#3 ·
Do you have a local science museum or children's museum? They might be able to point you in the direction of programs or like-minded people.

I would check with the univeristies and high schools in your area. They might be able to pair you up with a high school or college student who could do some mentoring for you. What a great question!

There are a number of programs in academia to encourage more women into science fields. The older programs might be able to put you in touch with younger programs. Even something informal like her meeting a woman entolologist (like in the x-files! - geek alert) informally once or twice would provide her a lasting model that she is unusual, but not completely alone. Perhaps they could talk about what it was like for the professional when she was little.

#4 ·
Thanks for answering and for your support!

I think meeting a woman entomologist (or man for that matter!) would be great. She is really into Buggin' with Ruud and wants to send him a fan letter. It's pretty cute, actually.

Also, come to think of it, I think the local eco center has an insect program sometimes. Thanks for reminding me.

I would also be interested in hearing what women in science found inspiring/encouraging when they were kids and what helped them keep their interest.

#5 ·
I'm not a woman in science, but I have a dd like yours *she's almost 10). The one thing that helped her with this peer pressure thing is my attitude of "Well, what a silly way to think. Those girls seem to be saying that girls can't do EVERYTHING! Isn't that silly?" Totally got her back up!
We do all the getting involved with science in the summer (always send cool women scientists) and local museums. I like the idea of writing to the bug person. Any resource that helps a child imagine themselves in an adult role someday is great for spreading horizons.
And keep on pointing out how science exists in the everyday...observing her bugs is science, and cooking is science and asking why is science.

#6 ·
I'm not a scientist....but my sister is!
I did, however, have a strange job working with insects for a few years....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragana View Post
However, in the first grade she is already experiencing other girls telling her "bugs are yucky; you shouldn't like them" and that sort of thing.
I wouldn't worry so much about her losing her interest in science. Science is interesting! Encourage her and provide lots of opportunities to explore and learn. I would focus more on her response to statements such as the above....peer pressure stuff. Because there will always be other kids telling your child that [insert interest] is wrong in some way.

My response to that is, "Oh? Well, do you like bugs? Ok then! We all don't like the same things, do we?" And we talk a lot about how it is ok to be different--that is what makes us each so special. And that the most important thing is that *she* likes [insert interest]. Her friends don't have to share the interest. Dd has heard all of this enough times that I don't have to tell her anymore.....she just says "So-and-so doesn't like [interest], but I do!"

Get her the book "A Bad Case of the Stripes", about a girl who loves lima beans....but pretends she doesn't because her peers don't approve. In the end, she is enjoying her limas

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragana View Post
My daughter is 7 and at this point wants to be an entomologist. Of course, she's only 7, but this has been an interest for 2-3 years now. She watches bug shows, has an insect collection, reads books about insects, etc. However, in the first grade she is already experiencing other girls telling her "bugs are yucky; you shouldn't like them" and that sort of thing.

I was hoping the women in science on this forum could point me in the direction of resources for keeping girls interested in science!

Thanks in advance.

PS I hope this is in the right forum - it was hard to figure out exactly where to put this thread.
http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/local/scisoc/womensci/

Here's a compendium of stuff from my alma mater
Maybe some useful stuff for you and your daughter.

(For the record, bugs are nowhere near as yucky as snakes.)

#8 ·
I have the best memories of catching bees in peanut butter jars when I was about that age. We lived on an old rhododendron farm so there were plenty of flowers in the spring and I would see how many bees I could catch in one jar. I learned a lot about bee behavior by stalking them and waiting for the right time to catch one, did you know that bees fly straight back out of a rhododendron flower? I caught and released, so don't worry I didn't kill any. I also never got stung and my record was 10 in an Adam's pb jar.

I would just give your DD opportunities and keep encouraging her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.