handedness? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 02-07-2002, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When did you first notice your kids favoring one hand over the other? My mom is a leftie as is dh's sister and the rest of us are righties - so of course everyone is looking for the first sign!
#2 of 24 Old 02-07-2002, 01:17 PM

i am a righty. but my dad is a lefty (well, they made him a righty in school, but he does everything but write with his left hand) and quite a few people are leftys on dhs side, so we were looking. i think i had read it was around a year they begin to show preference. but it hink it was around 10 months when we noticed aidan reaching for things and taking steps with predominately his right hand/foot. i think that it can be anywhere btwn 6 or 7 mnths to a year.
#3 of 24 Old 02-07-2002, 01:26 PM

I am a lefty
My dh is a righty
All of our 6 kids are RIGHTYS:
I think it was around a year they really showed perfrence...I did not care all long as they could learn how to write
#4 of 24 Old 02-07-2002, 01:30 PM

I think I read somewhere that handedness is not really set until about 2 yrs. old. Which seems late to me but who knows? Dd is 10 months and still uses both all the time, as soon as I think she is using one more than the other she switches on me
#5 of 24 Old 02-07-2002, 01:34 PM
PM
Banned

My dd (21 mos) uses both, but prefers the left when pulling on something hard or picking up something heavy. She draws and eats with her right, though. I read that you can't *really* tell until they begin to write. I'm an under-developed ambidextrous, meaning that I *could* write or do anything with both if I worked at it. For example, I favor my right, but I can write legibly with my left, and could do it even better if I got more practice. Dh is a southpaw.
#6 of 24 Old 02-07-2002, 01:39 PM

(lilypad) No, this is not right (ha ha ha).

It turns out that "handedness" is genetic. That is to say, right handedness is genetic. There is a gene that carries righthanded ness. Those missing the right-handed gene have a 50-50 chance of becoming either.

There is no left-handed gene.

Those interested in helping their children avoid problems with hand-writing in their early years, should consider "weighting" the handedness to the right as soon as their children can sit up.

a

The anti-Ezzo king
#7 of 24 Old 02-07-2002, 02:06 PM

Hi I have 6dd (5 living) and so far we have 2 lefties. the 16y is rght handed, the 13y is lft handed, the 11y is left, the 2 1/2 still switches between the 2 hands but seems to be dominantly rght, and the 5 month old is who knows. Of course the 13y and the 11y old like to say "left handed people are the only people in their 'right' minds"

#8 of 24 Old 02-07-2002, 03:27 PM

Hi, Have you heard of the book Loving Lefties: How to Raise Your Left-Handed Child in a Right-Handed World by Jane Healey?

I checked it to see when children begin showing which handedness they have. It said that there is evidence that children who have one or two lefthanded parents are more likely to switch back and forth before tehy develop a consistent hand preference. The average age that handedness becomes clear is 3 years. Girls usually develop their preference earlier than boy. The author suggests that you notice your own behavior: Do you tend to place a toy or spoon in your child's right hand? And then place objects near the center of your child's body and allow him or her to reach for them.

This is from that book too: Right-handed babies, when placed on their stomachs, tend to turn their heaads to the right. Lefties usually turn their heads to the left or don't show any preference at all.

Scribbling and drawing are common early indicators of handedness. But the gist is, it takes time to determine because kids, both righties and lefties, switch a lot before settling down to using one hand for most things.

Anyway, if you are raising a lefty, I recommend the book because it lists a lot of useful places to get utensils etc. for lefties, as well as has a lot of information. I am not raising a lefty (as far as I know) but I thought it was interesting just in terms of thinking about how difficult the world can be for a lefty child (just think about sports equipment!) and how much just a little understanding can help.
#9 of 24 Old 02-07-2002, 04:57 PM

My SIL is in med school and she said that if a child favors a particular hand too early (I think under 8 0r 9 mo but I can't remember) they look for developmental problems. Children use both hands interchangably until 10 mo- 1 year then start to develop a preference.
My brother is a lefty as is dh, one of his sisters, and his dad. Dh does most things with his left, but anything he learned from his brother (a righty) he does right handed. His brother (the righty) uses his left for anything he learned from dh. Its neat how it all works We're curious to see which hand ds favors

#10 of 24 Old 02-07-2002, 05:29 PM

My dh and I are both righties, as are our oldest two sons. #3 is now 4.5 and still using both hands for everything - writing, eating, drawing, toothbrushing, etc. He sometimes begins writing or eating with one hand and switches in the middle. He seems perfectly comfortable with both hands. We just let him be, but he starts school next year and I know teachers tend to be uptight about these things. I am not really comfortable attempting to influence his use of one hand over the other. Anyone have any insight?
#11 of 24 Old 02-07-2002, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We tested dd's when they were about 6 months (very unscientific). by then it can be pretty apparent but of course it can be wrong. You don't really know I think untill they start using a pencil.

Here is what we did.

Get a block.
Put it directly in front. Which hand does she grab with.
Put it to th right. Which hand does she grab with.
ut it to the left. Which hand does she grab with.

If all three don't line up I go with two out of three. Not that it is important at that age, but I enjoy guessing about stuff like that.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#12 of 24 Old 02-07-2002, 07:40 PM

We have no idea what hand 14-mo-old DS will favor, as he still switches constantly. I don't care, although I kind of hope he's lefty so that we have something in common as he gets older (and it would be nice to be conspiratorial with someone at the dinner table). I am one of only two known lefties on either side of the family, at least within a reasonable degree of closeness.

I know nothing about the genetics of handedness determination, but I will say that ability to write or have "pretty handwriting" has more to do with the teacher than anything else. Lefties taught to write by people who know how to teach lefties shouldn't have any more problems writing than the average righty. Now, as to all those kitchen tools geared to righties, that's another story. ;-)

I second the suggestion that parents of lefties learn about how to parent lefties and teach them to perform certain skills. I wish I'd had teachers better equipped to work with me than I did.
#13 of 24 Old 02-08-2002, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Celestial
Alexander, nothing personal, but I hope you were kidding.
Kidding, Which part?

No, this is straight up.

a

The anti-Ezzo king
#14 of 24 Old 02-08-2002, 12:05 PM

Alexander, do you have any children?
#15 of 24 Old 02-08-2002, 12:12 PM

Oh I see that your profile says that you do. We should allow children to use what ever hand they want. There is no need yo force right handedness. I have 2 left handed children who do wonderfully being left handed. In fact I like them being left handed.
#16 of 24 Old 02-09-2002, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kykarraliv

We should allow children to use what ever hand they want. There is no need yo force right handedness.
Why?

And

Why not?

a

The anti-Ezzo king
#17 of 24 Old 02-09-2002, 11:43 AM

Choosing a child's handedness for the child (which is what 'encouraging' a preference is) has inherent risks if you've chosen the child's nondominant and now are treating it as the dominant hand. You could create brain confusion, and you are setting the child up for a lifetime of being less skilled than they could be at everything they do. They may have self-esteem issues if they are not as good at certain skills (such as in PE class), but you'll never know if the child was "supposed to be" less good at those skills or if it is because you chose the wrong hand. More importantly, people who use their nondominant hands as their dominant hands are at greater danger of physically harming themselves.

Of course, the same self-esteem and danger risks exist if a lefty is forced to try and deal with a righty world without first being given the proper skills and training by someone who knows how to teach lefties.

It's practically impossible to completely avoid our own lefty/righty preferences in our interactions with our children, but I do think it's a good idea to try to let the child self-select handedness as much as possible. Our DS is lucky in this regard because he has one lefty and one righty parent, so hopefully DH and I balance each other out in how we interact with DS.

K.
#18 of 24 Old 02-09-2002, 12:19 PM

This is pretty interesting.... I recently read a book(ok...looked at...) called brain dominance..talks about handedness and also brain dominance,eye,ear and foot dominance and a persons combination of these=their learning styles.i.e based on their profile some may learn better sitting on the left side of the classroom, toward the front and need hand stimulation (playdo or somrthing) while learning, others learn better with visuals or some may need 15 min after a lesson to sit quietly alone to process info. pretty interesting.
Anyway I know w lilttle 1yo who would copycat with one hand what ever the other hand was doing. for example if he was pointing to something with one hand, the other hand, although not outstretched like the one he's using, is doing the same thing. same with waving, or even if he's handling something with one hand the fingers on the other hand were doing the same movements. I wonder what thats all about? btw he didn't crawl or walk untill pretty late.... I wonder if this is related?
also, I am a lefty but don't remember being taught anything differently as a child. Also don't remember having any difficulties with the "right-hand world". What difficulties do lefties have to face?
#19 of 24 Old 02-09-2002, 12:26 PM

oh, alexander....I need to ask, in the fashion of your response.....
Why? why WOULD you want to have a righty over a lefty?

Does it have to do with the gene thing?

I ask not in a defensive tone (being a lefty and all) but you seem to have some knowledge that we are missing....do tell....
#20 of 24 Old 02-09-2002, 01:38 PM

I am happy with my children they way they are. I do not need to force an ideal of right handedness on them. Nor do I want them to think that there is something wrong with the way they were created. My grandfather was forced to use his right hand (the teacher tied down his left his right hand) to this day he is angry and defensive about it, well, at least he was until he got Alzhiemers but that is a different story.

#21 of 24 Old 02-09-2002, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You just can't change who you are. even if they learn to do things in an acceptable manner with thier right hand it will have almost always have been eiier with thier left. I think it would also really mess with thier mind. It isn't nearly as hard to be left handed no as it used to be. Since teachers have stopped forcing childrento do it "right" and school supplies are redily available for left handed people. i just can't imagine why someone would get thier panties in a not over something so small and go to all the troble of trying to change a way God made a child. Good grief.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#22 of 24 Old 02-09-2002, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

This is more interesting than I'd thought! jempd's loving lefties book sounds neat - I definitely will check it out if she does turn out to be a lefty (in her right mind - hee hee - I like that!) My mom was one of those lefties who was forced (with a teacher smacking her with a ruler! :mad: to go rightie )

lilyka - are you saying Alexander wears panties?
Poor guy, lets cut him some slack - he's been blinded after all! I'm sure he'll be back to briefs once he gets his sight back!
#23 of 24 Old 02-09-2002, 08:15 PM

Wow, I had not really put any thought into this. My 27 month old hasn't really shown a preference, but then I haven't really been looking. I have always considered myself right handed although largely ambidextrous.

I also learned in archery in college that while right handed I am left eye dominant (most people have one side dominant for both eye and hand). My dad is right hand, left eye also. But I have always been very clummsy (and bad at sports.) so I wonder scribblerkate?????Maybe something funny is going on.
#24 of 24 Old 02-10-2002, 04:50 AM

jempd's book supports the genetic handedness supposition. Those babies who are carrying the righthanded gene, will turn to the right. Those that are not will turn to the left, or fight, or not determined.

The issue of "training out" lefthandedness should not come about as a result of my postings. The reason is, that I am not suggesting that anyone try to re-train a lefthanded child. But I am suggesting that if a child has parents or grandparents that are lefthanded, then there is a chance >= .25 that they too will be missing the righthanded gene. No harm will occur in attempting to influence such a child before it has determined which handedness it prefers. Trying to change the handedness after the brain has settled on a preference is inadvisable.

3boysmom Anyone have any insight?

Your son may be ambidextrous. This is when the brain shares out the job of co-ordination. Usually, ambidextrous people lack the right-handed gene, but have had the oppotunity to more or less develop both sides of the brain for co-ordination and motor neuron control. Thus, encouraging him to use the right hand, while he feels comfortable will not be harmful.

BAU3 oh, alexander...why WOULD you want to have a righty over a lefty?

Of course, I am not prejudiced against lefties. (In fact, I married one) and I am not trying to "make the world right", (LOL) but I teach children who have encountered great difficulty being a lefty here in Japan. This is a country where you absolutely must fit in. These children have never been given any kind of special attention to look after their handedness, and very often (always?) I am the first teacher / person that approaches them in a way that suits their individuality, rather than throwing them into the pot with every one else. Now, japan is an extreme case, but most countries either lack the facilities, training or education to properly handle these children. I was lucky about knowing about the righthanded gene before my own children were born. Thus when I observed ambidextrous tendencies in my babies, I realized that this was probably due to the lack of the gene. Encouraging righthandedness has probably saved them from a great deal of trauma in a country that has no facilities for such people. Like it or not, at the moment, the world is a right-handed place.

Actually, this is likely to last only a dozen or so more generations. Chimpanzees are exclusively righthanded, and our common ancestor was around 2.5 million years ago. From this we can see that non-handedness is epidemic in our species, and probably this change in our genetic make-up happened as recently as pre-history. The genie is out of the bottle (LOL) and our society is much more tolerant than say when they burned witches, so the world will soon loose all righthanded genes.

lilyka - are you saying Alexander wears panties?
Poor guy, lets cut him some slack - he's been blinded after all! I'm sure he'll be back to briefs once he gets his sight back!

Anyway, they are knickers! (LOL)

Yes, Still blind : ! So I have not been able to get the {quote} and {/quote} in properly. (Or my knickers! )

a

The anti-Ezzo king

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page