More than one gift from Santa????? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2006, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Growing up my parents gave us the "pratical" gifts.. clothes and things like that, Santa gave us toys.. not alot but there was always at least a few, mostly just something we really wanted.

I do the same with my kids.. well DH wont give the boys clothes but we buy them something special from us. and Santa brings the rest.

My oldest (8) doesnt believe in Santa, but he plays along for his younger brothers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2006, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer mom View Post
but you are implying that there is something bad about more than 1 gift. And what about the families that don't do Santa at all? I guess they would now have to. There is nothing wrong with having Santa give one present, just like there is nothing wrong with Santa giving 10 presents, or however many the parents decide, but that's the thing--it's up to the parents to decide. It's not up to the neighbors, the teachers or the government to decide. I guess I see this as so ironic because many people at MDC are so concerned about individual rights and freedoms, yet here is someone saying that we should have a rule about 1 present. Irony?

And the other thing is that there are so many ways to "explain" the number of Santa gifts to your dd, I wouldn't tell my dd about Santa if that was my only reason. Also, as long as your dd got the thing that made her happy--then why worry about the number of presents?
I think you are taking her comment too seriously. She wasn't actually speaking of setting a Nation Wide Santa Gift Guideline.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 12-18-2006, 02:18 PM

Do you think this comes down to geography, ancestory, religion, tv time?

Santa brings lots and lots of gifts to our house. He brought lots and lots of gifts to both my dh's house and my house when we were little. (early 70s) He also brought many gifts to my parent's houses when they were little. (1930s) We are from the Northeast, Catholic (some recovering), and of Irish descent. We did not have a tv growing up, my kids watch tv here and there.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:31 PM

My kdis are 9, 8, 3 and 1 .

They ALL believe in Santa.

Santa brings all the presents to our house. The kids get presents from grandparents and from my brother and SIL. They get one from my dh and I.

My kids dont get anything but new clothes throughout the year, so I spoil them on Christmas. They make a list, and I try to stick to it within my means.
I dont buy guns or cell phones, and I try to get books and learning toys.
But i dont put a limit on how much they get.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:41 PM

We have a similar tough situation. Our daughter has sisters who are fostered with my sister who goes WAY over the top IMO. and because all 3 girls were fostered by her at one time she tends to give them each the same thing. Like each a china doll and each a stuffed animal in different colours etc. S! I said we are keeping it simple as we always have and I called my sister to make a suggestion for a gift. She wanted to give her some sort of robotic pet that you have to respond to all the time and i said NO. My daughter would like one of course but we have cats and dogs and sheep and she is getting a bunny so NO. I don't belive in those kind of toys. DD also wants a game boy game so I asked my sister to give her that because she has a long bus ride everyday and likes to play her game on the bus in the morning. I haven't figured out how many from Santa. I have always given just one handmade gift to my nieces and nephews and they really appreciated it.

As for knowing about Santa, well she is 12! but she supervises the kindergarten class at her school at lunch time and she told us they are so excited that it makes her believe. In our family Santa still brings us presents but they are little things for our stockings. And I am 53! and I LOVE my stocking. Santa is alive in our family as a spirit and particularly likes to give a wonderful stocking. We all get stuff and secretly put it in the stockings and it is lots of fun. Tops and tiny puzzles and windups are particularly important and there is a formula. Mandarin orange in the toe, handful of nuts in the shell, hard candy that gets all hairy in the stocking and then the little gifts, some wrapped and some unwrapped. We don't question why! Terry's chocolate oranges are usually coveted too.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:46 PM

Wow, I've never even heard of anyone getting just one gift from Santa, I admit. As a child, once we started to "count" gifts amongst friends, we already knew that there was no Santa. Prior to that, we didn't count. Well, by then, it was always obvious that my 5-10 gifts were far less than what any of my friends got (and cheaper, too). On Christmas Eve, we would go to my grandparents' house and get to open any gifts from aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, there.

As for us, we have always given the children 10-20 Santa gifts and we don't even bother with gifts from us. We take care of birthdays, Santa does Christmas. Actually, we do get each child one gift for opening on Christmas Eve, and those are always pajamas. We also, get family to come over on Christmas Eve and the children get to open any gifts from them, or gifts that have been sent in the mail from family or friends.

I'm Canadian...does that account for the difference?

No...because my American born DH always got huge, massive piles of gifts from Santa, as did his 7 siblings. All the gifts would fill a room, nothing would be wrapped, just stacked in 8 piles around the room with a name tag on each huge pile.

I do like the idea of one gift from Santa and the rest being from family, it makes sense, it's just too late for us to change our traditions now, since our children still strongly believe in Santa and are old enough to remember if we change anything. I always loved the magic of Santa when I was a child.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:59 PM

The kiddos ask for one gift from Santa. Anything else they get is from us, and it's never much. This year it's about half a dozen items each, total. Most very small. We're completely broke, and the only way we are able to get them anything is that my ILs sent both DH and I $100 each, which we immediately spent half of on the girls. The other half will go towards paying bills, unfortunately. It would be nice to be able to take the family out to dinner with the other $100, but it's just not possible this year!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 12-18-2006, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Santa gives only one toy to each child in our house.

As children, my sister and I were given 8-10 gifts each from Santa, and I just think that is OVERLOAD. But our kids only get about 5-6 things each all together for Christmas.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:25 PM

We've kind of solved this issue by telling the kids mom and dad have to help pay for what Santa brings them. After all, there are so many kids out there, Santa is not a bizillionaire, so we have to help him a bit.

Some kids get more because mom and dad can afford to spend more. Some kids get less rom Santa because they can't afford a lot or because they'd rather get the gifts for their kids rather than have Santa bring them.

My kids get one biggish gift from Santa, stockings and maybe some new books. The nicest gifts never come from Santa, always from mom and dad.

Not sure if this helps, but it's how we do it here.

Janis

:
Old 12-18-2006, 05:58 PM

We always had tons of stuff from santa and mom and dad. Heck we sometimes had gifts from Santa Mouse or from our cats or dog too.

THEN Santa went to Grandma's house too....

-Angela
Old 12-18-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Heck we sometimes had gifts from Santa Mouse or from our cats or dog too.
-Angela
Me too and I carry on the tradition. We give gifts to and from our 2 dogs. Santa also does stockings for the dogs. (as a kid our cats always got a can of tuna fish! ) As a kid my mom always received important gifts from "the phantom" and we received gifts from Rudolph. I think I need to do a Rudolph gift for my son this year. We bought too much and I can't break the 3 from Santa rule now...

Pardon me while I puke.gif

Old 12-18-2006, 06:17 PM

We're thinking that Santa will fill stockings (one per person in the household, including us), and the rest is tagged from family members. For example, the husband's stocking stuffer for this year is the Darth Tater toy he wanted badly for his Star Wars collection, and I had asked for some kitchen stuff (a new whisk being my #1 item). Abby's too little for small parts, so she doesn't get a stocking this year.

2 happy kids makes for a happy mother.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

So crazy to think that all this time I thought people did things the same way!
How...small of me?
Interesting to see how everyone does it!
Peace,

Mamasoleil
Old 12-18-2006, 10:35 PM

I'm here in BC too and Its one present and a stocking here. The kids each get one larger present from Santa and a stocking of fun little gifts and then one gift plus a pair of pajama and slippers from us. The other gifts come from family and friends.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:51 PM

We do multiple Santa presents . . . I think here is the first place I heard of people doing only one. I actually sorted today and each kid is getting 5 from Santa and five from us . . . just worked out that way, as the little one is too young to care about them getting equal numbers.

I bought a lot this year . . . there was just a lot I wanted them to have.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
Old 12-19-2006, 11:18 PM

In our home, Santa fills the stockings. Presents are from family. Except sometimes my MIL sends presents and marks them from Santa. Usually the grandparents send something and sometimes aunts/uncles. Then DH and I give one or two small or moderate gifts to each child. This year we are planning on giving each of them a sleeping bag.

I haven't had any questions from dds. She seems to take it in stride that each family is different.

We really try to be careful at Christmas - one year the kids really got too many gifts and ended up in tears with overstimulation. Now we try to just enjoy the season and take it easy with gifts.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:51 AM

This is the first time I've ever heard of Santa only giving one gift! No one I grew up with (and we were poor) got one Santa gift. Even if the presents were cheap and not that exciting, my parents always made "Santa's" visit look festive and rich. Having a bunch of things to unwrap was magical.

I wonder if this is a regional thing, the different ways of doing Santa?
Old 12-20-2006, 01:20 AM

We don't do Santa here. But I have asked around to my friends how they decide which gifts are from Santa and which ones are form parents just because I was curious, and the majority of them said ALL were from Santa. A few said just the big ones, etc. but none of them said one. When I grew up almost all of my gifts were from Santa. My mom and dad got the boring stuff like clothes, etc. but Santa brought all the good stuff.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

Old 12-20-2006, 01:53 AM
Dar

I've honestly never considered counting Christmas gifts for my child. Actually, I remember my own parents emphasizing that the number of gifts wasn't important... I'm sure they tried to be generally equitable, but sometimes one of us wanted a big thing, and another wanted more, smaller gifts.

For Rain, the stocking gifts are "Santa gifts", but they're generally small things... nuts, hair stuff, chocolate, socks, stuff like that. For the rest, I've always just put my name on a few and Santa's on a few, and out mine out earlier and Santa's for Christmas morning. I'm pretty sure my parents did things the same way.

This year we sent my brother and sister a lot of smaller gifts - my brother in in Kuwait and needed small and/or edible things - and they each sent us one gift each... and that's okay.

I'm not comfortable with legislating or judging how people give or don't give, as long as the giving is out of love...

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 12-20-2006, 07:38 PM

This will be ds' third Christmas. Last year I decided it would be one Santa gift, and it will always be wooden or handcrafted Well, in my perfect vision at least; we'll see how long I can get away with that. When I was little I was very suspicious that the elves were making the same darn plastic thing that could be bought in stores.

I'm with ya, one gift from Santa. But, it will probably always the "big" gift. Santa is far too busy to to do more than one per child.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:41 PM

Oh, the stocking is stuffed by Santa as well. And when he gets a little older, Santa will be sneaking in and putting the stocking on the bed, ds will be allowed to open it as soon as he wakes up in his bed. A little tradition contrived by Mom to get a more sleep.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:09 PM

All of DDS gifts are not really labled...she doesn't even like Santa
Old 12-21-2006, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky View Post
As for us, we have always given the children 10-20 Santa gifts and we don't even bother with gifts from us.
20 gifts? For each child? Wow!

A fellow Canadian

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
Old 12-21-2006, 05:41 PM

For anyone dealing with their kids being overwhelmed by presents by well-meaning grandparents or whatever, we do two things that have REALLY helped this situation (we have a HUGE family plus my kids are the first grandchildren so my kids do get lots of presents, something we are both grateful for and find challenging as being deluged by STUFF is definitely not consistent with our values)...

1. Prior to Christmas, the kids and I go through their toys and books and fill at least one good-sized box EACH with toys etc. they no longer play with regularly. We talk about giving to other families and what this means. Then they come with me to Goodwill to donate it.

2. The day after Christmas, I put away HALF of their presents in a big storage bin in the attic. The older ones help choose what goes in. Then we bring out a toy or book every few weeks or so, or if we go on a road trip or something. When one toy comes out, another one goes in. This really helps for those "rainy days" and also helps keep clutter down.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:40 PM

In my house Santa is bringing the things I know my DD would love, but just can't bring myself to buy her -

The pink sparkle WEDGIES for a 3 yo are coming from Santa. She will absolutely adore those shoes, but mother can't bring herself to give her 3 yo high heeled shoes. Mom has bought her black sparkle shoes, black sparkle purse and matching headband. These can be worn with her christmas dress.

When my sibs were little santa brought and decorated the TREE as well. That tradition went out the year the trees sold out and my father had to buy two sad looking shrubs. He drilled holes in one and glued extra branches onto to fill it out. (You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried!). I think mom convinced Dad that Santa could decorate the tree, and that tradition had dried up by the time I came along!

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:14 PM

I haven't read all the replies, but my family was definitely on the poorer side when I was a child, and we always got several gifts from Santa, plus full stockings. We might only get one gift or maybe two (usually clothes) labeled as from the parents, but "Santa" brought several things (his were left around the tree unwrapped, and were toys and fun stuff).

I think my mom saved up and bought stuff whenever she could find it on sale through the year, and stored it at my grandparents house next door. One year we all (3 of us) got bikes, plus some other smaller toys. It was usually one "main" toy (like a Cabbage Patch Kid, Barbie house, bike, something like that) and a few other less expensive toys. I know Santa brought more than one toy each to her family when she was a child, too. One of my grandmothers said she only ever got one toy a year, but she's the only one I'd ever heard the one-toy thing from!

We never got much of anything through the rest of the year, anything we wanted had to wait until Christmas or birthdays. She might buy us a small inexpensive toy or book if we were sick and needed something quiet to occupy us, and maybe put a small book or toy in our Easter baskets, but that was it!
Old 12-23-2006, 10:30 PM

For now, things are simple here. DS1 is not old enough to even "get" santa... all he will care about is the excitement and fun on Xmas morning. We bought a ton of toys, but at this age they are more for me than him. I get bored playing with the trains all the time... I like some variety in my play. And all he wants is someone to play with him, so my present to him really is toys I'll like playing with him with which will make it more fun all the way around.

I'm begining to think we won't "do" santa at all. Twice we were in positions where DS was given the opportunity to sit on "Santa's" lap, and twice we were proud that DS was not about to sit on some strangers lap.

I think I'll read him the Frank L Baum version of Santa and tell him that when he gets gifts from "santa" it is really just a gift from a person who is trying to be like Santa in spirit. That all Santa gifts come from the most generous part of people, the part that loves to see someone else smile and be happy. That way if the relatives or school wants to give Santa gifts, my boys won't be confused or disapointed.

But we'll see.

ETA: One year I was so "bad" I got a lump of coal in my stocking and no gifts. I was around five y o . They did give me gifts eventually but they hid them at first. All my brothers presents were still under the tree. My parents still think it was funny though. I guess at the time I didn't care as much as I think I did. I didn't even remember it until they told the story, but now I will always feel sorry for that little girl.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:14 AM

In my family, Santa filled stockings, he didn't bring presents. I only heard a few years ago of the idea of Santa bringing wrapped presents, and I still find it bizarre! Oh, and we never actually believed in Santa, although it was always a mystery to us how our parents could fill the stockings without our noticing. One year I woke up too early and they were still empty when I checked. We got miscellaneous stuff ... candy, nuts, fruit, small toys, jewelry for me, basically anything small enough to fit. There was usually an apple or an orange from grandma's fridge in the toe, which went right back into the fridge and didn't get eaten because we didn't like fruit that much.

My husband's family apparently does wrapped gifts from Santa, though, so I don't know what we'll be doing with our kids. My son is only 21 mos. and doesn't really understand the concept of Christmas yet.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:19 PM

We have 3 gifts that are from us - the rest are all from Santa. I dont get why its a problem.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
was what my mom did now i do is one main gift then a stuffed toy then a thing or two small then things in stocking cheep stuff bday packed stuff from dollar store

User Tag List