scary car seat info -- PLEASE READ!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-02-2003, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is now 5 months old and outgrowing his infant seat, so DH and I went to purchase a new convertible seat for him. He needs to be rear-facing until he is *at least* a year old, and we had chosen the seat we wanted when the sales lady came up to us and said "That seat is only good up to 40 pounds, let me show you something else."

She showed us a combination forward-facing carseat/booster seat and said "This is 22 to 100 pounds, why don't you get this one?" I told her that it wasn't good rear-facing, and she said "Oh, sure it is!" This wasn't printed *anywhere* on the box or on the information sheet, and the seat did not have a warning label on it (rear-facing seats have a label warning that they cannot be placed in a front seat with an airbag.)

This woman became *extremely*offended when I argued with her! She actually had the nerve to storm off in a rage, after trying to sell me an inappropriate seat!

**PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY A CARSEAT!!** I hate to think that a misinformed salesperson had hurt or killed someone's child. Visit carseat manufacturer's websites, call the companies, do whatever you have to do, but *make sure that you are informed*. Keep you kids safe!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2003, 07:39 PM

Wow, that is scary. I would write a letter to the manager of the store detailing this woman's actions. Mention in the letter that if you had bought the carseat on her advice, and if you had been in an accident, and if the car seat had not protected your child because it was installed in an unsuitable position, the store would have been liable in court for damages based on its employee's misrepresentations.

You should also tell them that the store needs to contact all parents who have bought this carseat, and let them know that it cannot and should not be used rear-facing. That way maybe the parents who weren't as cautious and informed as you were can be warned before the worst happens.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 05-02-2003, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to mention: I did speak to the manager of the baby department and the store manager before I left, and I intend to write a letter to the CEO of the store, as well as to every parenting magazine I can find. People rely on salespeople to be more knowledgable than that!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 05-02-2003, 08:42 PM

Good for you! With any luck the store will pay attention...nothing like the idea that they might be held financially liable for the actions of their salespeople to get their attention!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 05-04-2003, 06:58 PM

The really scary thing is that the combination seats(like the one you described) have been seen in cars installed rearfacing!!! If you include the words "possible lawsuit", the manager is more likely to listen(sad, but true)
Old 05-04-2003, 08:06 PM

That's terrible! Stores that sell carseats should make sure their employees are more knowledgeable than that!

I have a combo carseat/booster, and the thing is, HOW could it even be installed rear-facing? There is no pathway for the seatbelt in that position! In a rear-facing seat, there are slots for the belt to slip under the seat cushion, but in a booster, the only pathway is through the back of the seat. How exactly would someone do this, by putting the seat belt through there in a rearfacing position? Is that even physically possible? Scary that PARENTS would be ignorant enough to think that it can be used in this way.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:08 PM

I WAS SO LUCKY TO HAVE A GOOD FRIEND WHO IS A
'CARSEAT NAZI" COME WITH ME. WHEN WE GOT TEHRE THEY HAPPENED TO BE HAVING A CARSEAT INFO SESSION. BE CAREFUL IS RIGHT I CHOOSE THE GRACO COMFORT SPORT. IF I HAD THE MONEY I WOULD GET THE BRITAX MARATHON.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:32 PM

amen to the Britax! i am a convert and would sell my bike to buy one if I had to...
Old 05-15-2003, 09:53 AM

Which Britax do y'all like?

in an emily litella voice: nevermind-I see it's Marathon :LOL!
Old 05-15-2003, 03:17 PM

Actually, mine's the Roundabout... we'll be trading up to a booster soon, but it, too will be Britax.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:52 PM

We have the Marathon for both cars, and I like it. In hindsight, I might have gotten a Roundabout for DH's car, a VW Golf - big carseat, little car!

You may also want to check out the boards at the Baby Bargains Book website, which I believe is www.babybargainsbook.com - there's a great carseat discussion board there with CPS techs/carseat gurus who post all the time. You can get some great advice on whether a carseat is right for you and your car.

Old 05-18-2003, 03:23 PM

Roundabout.

But, I sold a friend on the idea also but her son was a month early and 6#, so she had to go out and buy a "bucket" seat for the first couple of months.
Old 05-18-2003, 04:29 PM

At least in this town, bucket seats with 5-point restraints are available at consignment shops for a deal...

User Tag List