WWYD of your child did this to your home EVERY DAY? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-30-2006, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCostello View Post
And so has everyone else's. And so has Satori's excuses for living in a sty.
That was pretty rude. Judge much?

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2006, 08:02 PM

Those magnet locks are awesome! My best friend has them in her kitchen and they are so handy!
Old 12-30-2006, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post

Ooh,those are the same ones I was talking about and I think cheaper than the One Step Ahead Catalog too! I haven't tried them yet but want to buy a whole bunch. We have the kind you have to drill in and after the hole dh left in my kitchen drawer I am not happy about the possibility of more accidental drill holes if ykwim

I can't see why these wouldn't work the same as the kind you have to drill. Give them a try- maybe someone has some locally on craigslist for real cheap?

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
Old 12-30-2006, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoTwo View Post
I would tell her to pick it up, if she didnt, for every item she trashed and refused to pick up I would take away a toy. If she still didnt do it I'd throw the toy in the garbage in front of her.
No, don't throw it away. I would tell her that since she refused to properly care for her things, they were being donated to someone who would be greatful for them and care for them as they should be.

Just saying that 'cause trashing good toys is so wasteful and all that....:
Old 12-30-2006, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
No, don't throw it away. I would tell her that since she refused to properly care for her things, they were being donated to someone who would be greatful for them and care for them as they should be.

Just saying that 'cause trashing good toys is so wasteful and all that....:
ITA. I tell my son that his things will be donated to someone who will appreciate them. I have started a bag and when the bag is full, out goes the stuff. Of course his response was that he doesn't want all the toys he has anyway.:

Mom to DS (16), DD (7), DS (5), and excitedenergy.gif about my final baby due October 2014. Love fluffy mailheartbeat.gif, appreciate midwives, and can't wait to wear a baby againjoy.gif!
Old 12-30-2006, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
All hail space bags! I've made a dent in this mess over the last 2 days and now I've got my 1 and only lockable closet back! It was full of extra blankets for cold nights but dd was creating a nightmare with them so I locked them up. I managed to get my hands on some huge space bags for dirt cheap and vaccum packed them to hide in the back of the closet so now I can lock up a few things! My moms took both kids for an hour so I could get rid of a bunch of stuff in that nice huge blue dumpster outside Listed several things on freecycle too

Seriously?
Old 12-31-2006, 12:52 AM

Well done, Satori!

I hope you feel at least a little better (I think you should feel a lot better!) now. Every bit helps! I always feel so much lighter when I go on a donation/declutter purge. (though not enough to keep doing it as often as I should. ;>)
Old 12-31-2006, 12:54 AM

Yeah for you!!
Old 12-31-2006, 01:51 AM

Way to go!
Old 12-31-2006, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCostello View Post
And so has Satori's excuses for living in a sty.
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.

-Janna, independent mother of dd, Ms. Mattie Sky born on my 25th birthday, 06*23*2000. My Mama Feb.21,1938-Sept.10,2006
Old 12-31-2006, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerchild View Post
Well done, Satori!

I hope you feel at least a little better (I think you should feel a lot better!) now. Every bit helps! I always feel so much lighter when I go on a donation/declutter purge. (though not enough to keep doing it as often as I should. ;>)
: ITA

So, I don't mind dust but I HATE clutter. Our living room has a hardwood floor and a lot of hanging toys (monkey bars, etc) but our ONLY furniture in this humongous room is a couch and a small table w/4 chairs. My kids can go hogwild and then when it's over I get out the broom & w/in minutes it's all put away.

Too, I seriously limit how many toy "tubs" I allow out of the basement at once; ie. now we have only 5 sets of toys upstairs. They're in a nook set next to the kitchen--which is also empty (on the floor) except for a Learning Tower.

Even our basement strives to look minimal... freecycle.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:47 AM

Satori, I'm glad you have made some progress!

I have a 7yo on the autistic spectrum--he is high-functioning but I have had to "babyproof" for a large, strong, fully-mobile, intelligent child who just so happens to damage and destroy things all around without hesitation or much regret. He enjoys poking holes in walls, scratching things with tacks or nails, putting his feet on things even if they are delicate, and generally testing all materials to the breaking point. He balances dishes on his head and then says it is an "accident" when they fall. He just can't resist hitting the ceiling fan, or jumping across the room onto other furniture, and spitting and sloshing the bathwater EVERYWHERE... He dumps toys and laundry and walks on it without noticing. He forgets things the moment they drop from his hands and never notices them again. He falls on his siblings or steps on their fingers...

You know, he has made so much progress. I put so much effort into helping him--we have had this surreal level of child-proofing for several years. I remember him getting onto the top of the refrigerator, things like that. I don't encourage him to be very careless, clumsy, shortsighted, experimental, and all the other things that make him harder to care for alone than my three other children are together. I still have to check on him constantly if he is at the other end of the house or in the next room. Because he is almost always getting into something he shouldn't. No matter what positive options I offer--he doesn't take suggestions very well.

I know he is not messy and destructive because I set that example (he barely learns from example in that way anyhow unfortunately) or because I don't bother to set limits. He just isn't that moldable. The level of attention to prevent it all is generally truly impossible. Just impossible.

So I am sorry people point fingers at you. Sure you are responsible for your house and messes. But there are children who just pull every sense of order to pieces, day after day.

The best I am able to do is setting up tasks that have to be completed before the next thing. Like we can't eat treats because each person needs to get their meal dishes off the table first. Or we can't watch a video until this play area is cleaned up. Or get out another new thing until... The tasks have to be small.

It sounds like your dd doesn't even have a sense of pleasure in seeing things in right places. Does she? All my kids do seem to enjoy being able to find things, having space to play, knowing exactly where to put shoes and dirty clothes, knowing that each drawer will have just what they are looking for in it. I don't know what they would be doing if they didn't even want that.

When it is crazy with stuff, I have always gone minimalist. I pack up toys, though I don't find it is best as a threat/punishment toward them. I would have trouble living with those boxes stacked, and those plastic drawers. That feels so crowded, and like a potential topple-over.

I also try to lead some positive activities, read out loud, play playdough together, go to library, going on walks where we talk about stuff we see or anything that gets some good connection going. This has meant not cooking dinner and just eating something ultra-quick or skipping kids' baths sometimes, but I get to feeling I have to break the negative cycle with some very deliberate relaxed and positive stuff. I don't like to spend all my time on the frustrating stuff.

Well, I just found out my ds broke a window earlier. Just accidentally crashed his feet into it while standing on his head. SIGH and it is not the first--actually I think this is the fourth or fifth time he has cracked/broken a window in this house.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

Old 12-31-2006, 02:56 AM

I'm glad you are making some progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
I would suggest buying 1 or 2 first and test them out. Owen's grandpa put these on drawers on his entertainment center to keep Owen out (he has autism and would just open them and throw all the movies that are kept in there around the room. Constantly). He can now give it one good yank and open it. And he's only 3 Trust me, mama, I know what it's like to have that child just running around destroying everything in minutes. By the end of the day it looks like a tornado struck. I try hard to get it cleaned after he goes to bed but some days I'm just so darn tired I can't keep my eyes open another minute. That means the next day it's just worse and worse.

Hang in there, you're doing great!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Old 12-31-2006, 05:18 AM

Satori!! CONGRATS on making a dent

Quote:
And so has everyone else's. And so has Satori's excuses for living in a sty.
As for you I find some of the worst critics in life are those with things wrong in their own life. I pity you
Old 12-31-2006, 06:04 AM

your DD sounds like a livewire, WOW! I can just feel it, in your posts! And I can tell you are exhusted too.

My suggestion is maybe to get her out in nature... that energy needs to be let out, and nature is the best place to do that, no messes that you have to clean up... take her for a nice walk every day to a park with a stream and lots of trees.

good thatyou are making decluttering progress.

p.s., she sounds like an indigo child
Old 12-31-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisteal View Post
Satori!! CONGRATS on making a dent

As for you I find some of the worst critics in life are those with things wrong in their own life. I pity you
I don't need your pity. But yeah, thanks anyway. All throughout this thread everyone was saying that Satori couldn't clean her apartment because of A, B, and C. I (and some others) said she could in fact clean her place. And she did. She still had some control over her situation. We all need to make changes in our lives, I am not exempt, nor did I ever say I was. Part of parenting is adjusting our worlds so our kids are safe. If a child is special needs or an "indigo", then there are some bigger adjustments. And that's okay. But to just throw in the towel and say "There's nothing I can do!!" Well, I think that's more negative than anything I could ever say.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majazama View Post
My suggestion is maybe to get her out in nature... that energy needs to be let out, and nature is the best place to do that, no messes that you have to clean up... take her for a nice walk every day to a park with a stream and lots of trees.
:
Old 12-31-2006, 09:09 PM

This thread is locked for mod review

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all

User Tag List