The eroticization of children. - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2007, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by majazama View Post
unschoolin'ma~ so do you *buy* that stuff for your kids??? if so... If you understand why some of us are so against these child-sexualizing toys, why support them by giving them your money?
I do buy my kids some of that stuff. If by that stuff you mean Bratz and Barbies, some clothes and music. Dd just got a new Bratz doll and the Pussycat Dolls CD for Yule for example. She's been enjoying doing the dolls hair in crazy ways and dancing all over to the CD. We've giggled over some lyrics together. Buying some of that stuff is not a problem for me.

Quote:
when I was growing up, my mom was totally against barbies, and their ilk, but I got some for my birthday and x-mas, and she wouldn't take them away from me, but told me why she didn't like them... but still, as I grew up, I was horrified as I started getting wide hips, and had compulsive overeating for years during my teenage years. I was starting to not look like barbie (I am a tall blonde) and that made me start to *hate* my body.
I am so sorry that you struggled that way as a young woman. It's unfortunate no doubt. My Dd is not perfect or immune from the messages media has regarding weight, sexiness, and etc and I don't think refusing Bratz or Barbie will make her so. In fact, Dd kind of does look like a Barbie. She's leggy (5'3"), slender (100 lbs give or take), blonde, and blue eyed. Well she has black streaks in her hair at the moment, but whatever. She said once that she wasn't worried about wanting to be like a Barbie because who wants to be that short? LOL I think just being able to talk about the issues with the kids is the big thing really. Tricky stuff this parenting business.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2007, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
I agree that having a caring, mindful parent/someone around to discuss and help navigate these issues is really key.

ITA. Even if you forbid the stuff from your home and don't let your dd buy it, you can still have problems if you aren't talking about these issues. It's not the things that are the problem it's the messaging behind it or the marketing whichever you prefer.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:25 PM

well, to everyone there own.

I'm not wanting my girls to go through what I did, so, I'm being very cautious in what they are exposed to. That is how I am dealing with it... if some barbies slip in as they get older, I will talk with them about it.

The thing is, at this age (4 and 2) they have no filter for things... so I'm very careful of what they see on t.v.... and they sure know how mommy hates commercials. I mute them every time they come on. those 'seductive' shampoo commercials and such are pretty bad sometimes, IMO. and they don't watch any cartoon channels that have commercials.

What my mom always taught me was how women are/were objectified in the commercial world. I think that helped me to understand ads and such better, with a discriminating eye. I think things would have been even worse had she not said anything about that stuff.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:59 AM

But with the Bratz doll craze, there comes the Bratz movies and Saturday morning cartoon. There are evil twin girls who get plastic surgery and are silly heads, and an evil magazine editor that they all work for always out to get them. The girls are boy crazy, the boys are like boys--they're in a whole different movie. It's awful... and yet, so true to life for some situations. I put the kibosh on it and told her why. Basically, I said these are ridiculous characters who behave stupidly and that kind of stuff has nothing to do with the life of a seven year old. "Oh yes it does! you don't know Mom."

She wasn't too happy, but, there it is. She's got the dolls... and the Polly Pocket craze, and the Littlest Pet Shop. She's just a kid.

Today she came home and reported that some kids were chasing her, calling her names, in a good way, like "Paris Hilton." Her hair is like Paris': long and blonde. So, gotta be careful not to be too harsh on Paris Hilton, and to explain the relationship between attractive looks and associations to preconceived ideas...and, and, oh my Goddess! She'll be so confused... or no, wait, she'll explain it to me!
Old 01-03-2007, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow, is there seriously a cartoon? I should see if my friend's Dd has it. She's a Bratz collector lol. It sounds like a strange trip.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    

User Tag List