Do you bathe with your children? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 02-09-2002, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I often bathe with my children (one is 4 other is 17 months...both boys).

I love it and they do too. But i often wonder??????

Does anyone else and at what ages are your children?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 37 Old 02-09-2002, 01:32 AM

Yes. In fact, he has never bathed any other way. He is 13 months and always bathes or showers with me or dh. I never wondered about it, I suppose that one day we won't be doing it anymore, but I think it'll just be over when it's over.
#3 of 37 Old 02-09-2002, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Heck yeah! Most of 18 month Bonnie's bathing or showering has been with either Poppa or me or both. Lately she sometimes bathes alone just because she wants to when I don't.
#4 of 37 Old 02-09-2002, 01:58 AM

dh showers with ds sometimes, less often now that he is getting bigger. The one time I showered with him (we are not bath people) he fell down and hit his head. All I heard for about a month was "mama go boom" with his hand hitting his head. Like I didn't feel guilty enough already.

jtsmom
#5 of 37 Old 02-09-2002, 02:36 AM

I often hop in the shower with 8 year old DD when we are pressed for time. Or even when we are not and I feel the urge. She doesn't mind, I don't mind so no problem. I pretty much always have 10 month old DS with me also. I figure we're saving water and DS gets a kick out of showering with DD.
If the day comes that DD feels uncomfortable I will respect that. I will be sad (inside) but I will respect her wishes.

~Jennifer
#6 of 37 Old 02-09-2002, 09:02 AM

DW or always bathe the kids. I have insane fun, variously eating strawberries, phonics games or painting, (the walls and each other.

We never wash!

Ugh!

Waht an idea!

a

The anti-Ezzo king
#7 of 37 Old 02-09-2002, 04:30 PM

Yup Dh or I or both always bathe with dd and have never done it any other way - she loves her bath and I think part of the reason is because she has us with her!
#8 of 37 Old 02-10-2002, 04:14 AM

Both my husband and I bathe with our daughter, though not together (only cause our tub isn't big enough). She'll be 7 months in about a week.

Heather
Mama to two tween girls and a stillborn baby girl (7/1/12)... and now expecting baby #4 in April 2014.

Writer at The Destiny Manifest: http://www.thedestinymanifest.com

#9 of 37 Old 02-10-2002, 05:54 AM

When the boys were little babies, they always got a bath or shower with one of us big people. Then, when they were old enough to enjoy the tub alone, sometimes they'd take a bath without me, if I just didn't need a second (or third) wash-down in a day. For the most part though, the only time I get a bath or shower by myself is if they are both asleep.

Recently, I quit trying to get into the tub with both boys at the same time, only because it's getting crowded, and I was tired of being poked, kicked, splashed and played over/on. Jadon was very dissapointed, and made a point of inviting me back into the tub, with promises not to kick or poke me.

....living, learning and loving everyday with the Sweet Pea Bridgade
#10 of 37 Old 02-10-2002, 05:46 PM

Yep, we bath with our son. We didn't used to but we moved to a house where our water is charged by the litre and so got really really water-conservative!!

I nearly always bath with Thomas (he's 2 and 3/4 now) and sometimes then daddy gets in after and has his bath with Thomas. If I want a long soak on my own then he's happy to go in on his own.

I think it's good fun to bath with him and to be matter of fact about bodies and so on. I certainly think the time will come when he will want to bath on his own and having moaned (occasionally!) about having to squeeze into half a bath with him, I have no doubt I'll be sad about not being able to get in with him any more!!!!
#11 of 37 Old 02-10-2002, 05:54 PM

I used to when they were babies. Now the tub is full of toys, and with the two of them splashing around, there isn't room left to spare. I can't remember the last time I took a shower without both of them in the bathroom playing on the floor, opening and closing the bathroom door and letting all the hot air out. I must admit that I look forward to the day that I get to take a nice hot shower without someone dropping who knows what into the tub with me. If I had a nice big tub I'd go for it.
#12 of 37 Old 02-10-2002, 06:30 PM

Yes, Dh or I always bathe with the boys. Though now that #1 is 4 we usually bathe first then He gets in and we wash him than dh or i get out and he plays for as long as he wants. I'm looking forward to being able to put the boys in together, but I worry about the baby and Nick playing too rough.
#13 of 37 Old 02-10-2002, 06:57 PM

I have bathed with my almost-4-year-old dd almost every night since her unbilical cord fell off. We have so much fun (well, the hair washing has been somewhat challenging.) It usually takes a whole hour. Then we snuggle for another hour of books.

The best advice I heard about when to stop is when the child(ren) start getting modest, self-conscious about nudity and bathing with the parent(s). I guess it will happen one day, but now I just enjoy it.
#14 of 37 Old 02-10-2002, 07:50 PM

My DS is 2 and he has never had a bath or a shower without me or his dad, its fun and just a lot more convenient than bathing him separately, not to mention the savings on the water bill!!

R.
#15 of 37 Old 02-11-2002, 02:17 PM
Deb

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
My 5.5yo son loves his bath by himself, but does take occasional showers with me. We have a hand-held shower massager and he just loves to "spray mommy in the face." So far he's not uncomfortable at all (and neither am I), so we'll keep doing it until he doesn't want to anymore.
#16 of 37 Old 02-11-2002, 03:21 PM

Till ds was 6, we did this every day. Now it is only showers occasionally when we are hurrying or low on hot water. I loved it when we did baths, it was our *special* time together where we could relax and play. I never thought of it as sick at all.
#17 of 37 Old 02-11-2002, 11:37 PM

Donnie bathes with his dad every night. I rarely bathe with him because this is what happens...
"Mom can I have the breast?"
~No, honey. Not right now. Let's play boats.
"Mom, I love to have the breast."
~You can have the breast when we go to bed.
"I need milk!"
(sigh)
"Mom, sometimes big boys need the breast too."
~Yes they do.
"Mom, I'm not a baby, I'm a big booba boy."
~Let's relax and listen to the silence.
"Mom..."
~Yes Donovan,
"I really miss the breast."

It kind of goes on like that until I get out and put a towel over the coveted breasts.
Whats a mom to do?! Does child led weaning really work?!
#18 of 37 Old 02-12-2002, 12:49 AM

My oldest is 7 he bathes by himself because that is the way he wants it. He does occassionally get into the bath with my 3 yr old girl in his underwear.

I do not bathe my girls. That is Daddy's job. And he gets into the tub with them. They are 3yrs and 18mths. He will most likely bath with them until they no longer want him to get into the tub with them.
#19 of 37 Old 02-12-2002, 02:19 AM

I usually bathe with our six month old son. I get into the tub with him then my DH takes him when I'm done washing and playing with him. DH dries him and dresses him while I soak in a hot bath. I absolutely love it.

Christi
mama of Gareth 8-13-01
#20 of 37 Old 02-12-2002, 02:40 AM

Forest Sage,

I nurse my almost-4-year-old when we bathe together. Usually, however, she is too busy playing with me.

Child-led weaning really works. I am 40 and may not have another child so I probably will never nurse again and I am the one that gets sad at every moment that she needs the breast less.
#21 of 37 Old 02-12-2002, 06:19 PM

I take a bath with my 1 yr old and my 3 yr old takes his showers with Daddy.

#22 of 37 Old 02-12-2002, 06:46 PM

We have a family bed and a family tub. It is the best way to wind down together!!
#23 of 37 Old 02-12-2002, 07:17 PM

no i dont
it is ok if you do though

i like my PRIVATE space
and i like to keep myself private from family

the only one i want seeing me naked is my husband

i doubt it will do any harm either way.

also. the thought of baby urine in my bath water grosses me out! : )
#24 of 37 Old 02-12-2002, 09:05 PM

fun posts here!

Yes ds (20mo) bathes with me often, shower or tub

He thinks my bum is hilarious (so do I)

he has started to notice my anatomy is different to his and pulls on my pubic hair squealing with delight. Other than yelping a few times (it hurts!) we both have a big laugh about it
#25 of 37 Old 02-12-2002, 09:09 PM

Oh, sleepies!
You reminded me. We did have a floater once! Eeeeew! I had to take an antibacterial shower and scrub the tub with an antibacterial. Gross.
#26 of 37 Old 02-13-2002, 02:38 AM

Too funny. I never remember her pooping in the bathtub. But even though I don't remember, she probably did pee in the water because itsy bitsy babies pee all the time.

We did do EC (even though I didn't know it was called EC then). That's probably why I don't remember it being a problem.

As far as nudity. I think it is healthy for children to see their parents nude. Again, I will start covering up when she starts covering up. For now, I take it as an opportunity to discuss all kinds of things from how to use tampons to how to avoid and report child molestation. (She is almost 4 now so this is more appropriate than when she was leeeeetle.)
#27 of 37 Old 02-13-2002, 09:43 AM

I love bathing with my kiddo! Not knowing anything in the beginning i tried one of those stupid plastic baby baths...what a waste of time, energy, money, etc. So i hopped in the tub with her and have been doing it ever since. (DD is ~7mo.) Here I've been closet bathing because i thought everyone would think it was weird....These boards are so great!
DH doesn't like to bathe with her because of the chance she might pull on things she's not supposed to. He's done it a few times in a bathing suit.
#28 of 37 Old 02-13-2002, 11:25 AM

DH baths with our 5 1/2 mo dd. It is something special they can share together. Of course, he has had to protect certain body parts as they were fast becoming her "bath toys"
#29 of 37 Old 02-13-2002, 06:09 PM
m&m

either dh or I would bathe with dd1 until one day she told him thatb his penis looked sad. he now only takes a bath with our 6 month old dd.

I bathe with both girls, or dd1 will have a bath by herself - when I try to have one by myself I get watched - my back gets rinsed, hair gets scrubbed, and water gets played in, but at least I get to sit in a tub by myself once in a while.
#30 of 37 Old 02-13-2002, 11:52 PM

That's what Dh sang to Dd, until she started making sounds in relation to our conversations, and he imagined her going off to school singing 3 in a tub, and us getting the weird police after us.

Guess we'll have to homeschool.

Biggest problems is Dh has gotten kicked in strategic areas several times. But she's been in the tub since right after she was born. Having read all the posts, we no longer worry about when to stop.

Thanks all.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page