happy meal did you know you can?!?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 134 Old 01-09-2007, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
when you go McDonalds you can order a happy meal for your dc and ask then to add on other toping like lettuce, tomatos or whatever else dc loves all you have to do is place the order and say "I would like extra lettuce on it" it is free just want it to get around let our kids can get healthy things in it
#2 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't know that. Not that we go that often but it does happen from time to time. You can also get apple slices insted of fries most places. Sometimes you can get a pack of graham cookies insted of the toy too. Not any healthier but not a piece of plastic junk either.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#3 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 12:10 AM

The lettuce isn't exactly healthy though. Sure it's a "veggie", but that is just iceberg lettuce with no nutritional value.
I just don't let my kids eat there at all.
#4 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 12:15 AM
Banned

I worked at McD's before. You can pretty much add whatever you want.
#5 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 12:19 AM

McDonalds - uck, yick, ewwww. I think I've said enough.
#6 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree, YUCK! My husband and I decided: no fast food for baby! Now, if I could just quit the habit....

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#7 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 12:38 AM

When we go to Burger King we often ask for extra tomatoes and such. I sure wish they'd use something besides iceberg lettuce though.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#8 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 02:48 AM

:Puke
#9 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 02:52 AM

:

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#10 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 03:00 AM

Here in Australia, the happy meal choices are :
cheeseburger, fries, drink
nuggets, fries, drink
toasted cheese/tomato sandwich, box sultana's, juice
pasta shapes (filled with cheese and roast vege's) with a tomato dipping sauce, and a reduced fat milk drink plus a flavoured straw (blech... i don't like these... my daughter would just get the milk)

I haven't let DD have mcdonalds for ages, but I think it's good that there's pasta there as well, now. We have McCafe's, I guess they're in the US too? So we could go to Macca's, I could have a paninni with tomato and fetta, plus an espresso, and DD could have pasta and a juice. And I could have a piece of mud cake afterwards (breastfeeding... I need chocolate for that, right? LOL that's my excuse anyway..!!)
#11 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 04:03 AM

You don't need an excuse for chocolate. It's a food group. :
#12 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_queen View Post
Here in Australia, the happy meal choices are :
cheeseburger, fries, drink
nuggets, fries, drink
toasted cheese/tomato sandwich, box sultana's, juice
pasta shapes (filled with cheese and roast vege's) with a tomato dipping sauce, and a reduced fat milk drink plus a flavoured straw (blech... i don't like these... my daughter would just get the milk)

I haven't let DD have mcdonalds for ages, but I think it's good that there's pasta there as well, now. We have McCafe's, I guess they're in the US too? So we could go to Macca's, I could have a paninni with tomato and fetta, plus an espresso, and DD could have pasta and a juice. And I could have a piece of mud cake afterwards (breastfeeding... I need chocolate for that, right? LOL that's my excuse anyway..!!)
I want those choices!!!! I think we just have the burger and nuggets options.

I get mcD's for me and DH. DD will sometimes share a salad with me while DH and I soley get the cruddier stuff. : I usually end up swinging by the smoothie shop and get her a cup a fruit too.

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#13 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 11:14 AM

I would never, ever, ever special order anything at McDonalds. This is only a result of anectdotal evidence from people I've known who worked at one.
#14 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 11:22 AM

Somehow I can't imagine how the lettuce and tomatoes make it any healthier, yuck! Kinda like how ordering a diet coke w/ a big mac is weight control.
#15 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zo's ma View Post
Somehow I can't imagine how the lettuce and tomatoes make it any healthier, yuck! Kinda like how ordering a diet coke w/ a big mac is weight control.
LOL I agree.
But if you are going to eat it, might as well get some of the better stuff in there with it I guess.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#16 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 02:19 PM

It has to be an EXTREME emergency for us to let DS eat there. If we are on the road and forgot to pack snacks for DS and he is hungry we will stop there and our eating choices are limited, we will absolutely stop there.

For the Happy Meal, we try to stick to as healthy as possible:

2% Milk or just plain ole water in lieu of Soda
Apple Slices/Fruit Cup in lieu of French Fries

I have no problem with DS keeping the plastic toy. Buys me at least 15 minutes of guaranteed quiet time for the rest of the car trip home.
#17 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zo's ma View Post
Well, if you're in the habit of regularly ordering a Big Mac and a coke and then you substitute the Coke with a Diet Coke, it will likely contribute to weight loss because you are consuming fewer calories. Healthy, no.
#18 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throkmorton View Post
The lettuce isn't exactly healthy though. Sure it's a "veggie", but that is just iceberg lettuce with no nutritional value.
It has a bit.

Iceberg lettuce has Vitamins A and C, and iron (although in small quantities), and also adds some fiber to an otherwise non-fibrous meal.
#19 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 02:36 PM

yah, but it's still mcdonald's... even w/ a piece of iceburg lettuce on top!:
#20 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 03:05 PM

I'm shocked that families on here eat at Mcdonalds...that seems soooooo unnatural for a natural family living community.

Even if you add the few vitamins that are in the crappy lettuce and tomatoes that they provide...you are still eating bleached white flour, low grade hormone filled meat (if that's even what the substance is), and processed cheese if you order it with cheese. The chicken nuggets are noooo better...fried food...filled with UNhealthy trans fats...even if you substitute the fries for fruit...you are still getting a crappy meal...I'd rather serve my little one a stick of butter than let her eat there. (or myself for that matter).

This is all without going into the practices that make mcdonalds and other large fast food and soda companies corrupt in nature.

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#21 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 03:08 PM

Here is the nutritional analysis of 1 large piece of iceberg lettuce. There's really no fiber in a portion that is so small, and amount of vitamins is negligible.

Calories 2
Total Fat 0 g

Dietary Fiber 0g

Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 1%
Iron 0%

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c20dw.html

(choose the portion size from the pull-down menu)
#22 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 03:12 PM

i agree.
#23 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrymamma View Post
even if you substitute the fries for fruit...you are still getting a crappy meal
I disagree. Fruit is Fruit and 2% Milk is 2% Milk.

I don't consider Fruit and 2% Milk a "crappy meal".
#24 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 03:24 PM

I don't know about the fruit cup, but I did read that those apple slices are totally processed and full of added preservatives and sugar. How else could apple slices not get all brown and mushy? There is a company who makes them exlusively for MacDonalds... they are to apples what fries are to potatoes, more or less.

If you're already going to eat there (and let your DCs eat there) for whatever reason, I suppose it's better to opt for the moderately more nutritous (or less unhealthy) option. But it's never going to be as good as bypassing fast food altogether.
#25 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 03:33 PM

We all know that mickey d's is crap, most all chain store food is crap.

But I want everyone to keep in mind one thing.

I was raised by a woman who had extreme food and TV values... no sugar...EVER, no meat,dairy, the closest thing to fast food was tomato soup. and god forbid I ever had kool aid or soda, Popsicles, and for the longest time... i hated chocolate, until i learned that carob and chocolate are not the same.
No TV either.. one hour a week.

When I went to my friend's houses... I BEGGED for the sugary treats, zombied myself in front of their TV.

Then I went away to school... and discovered diet Pepsi, fast food and because I was never taught moderation of these things, I did a huge number on my body.

So in my adult house... we eat well, we do meat, dairy and organic veggies, and food from our garden, the neighbors trees and the like. BUT the kids get to go to Mickey D's, or their favorite Taco bell, they get the occasional soda, they are allowed to make reasonable responsible decisions about food NOW. And I admit we will go months with out eating fast food, and then finals hit and I am bringing home fast food every night for a week. (then we all are begging for real food again)

TV.. during the summer, the TV is rarely on, because there are lots of things to do and be.. during the Oregon rainy winters, we do watch more, IN MODERATION and the children get to make the decisions on whether they want to play card games, or watch TV.

BTW... my mom never learned this lesson.. I have a 15 year old brother (I'm 37) and when he is at my house... his head is in my son's psp, or he's zoned out on the boob tube... and raiding my fridge for goodies... And at 15, he can wipe out both my inside fridge and outside fridge of all things "banned" at mom's.
#26 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 03:38 PM

Well, I have no issues re: McD either way but wanted to share a chuckle...

We have Bearded Dragons (AWESOME little pets) but the breeder made sure that we understood NEVER to feed them iceberg lettuce as it won't give them enough nutritional value. ANd, yeah, sure enough, they adore organic dark leaf lettuce.
But, hey, if you're balancing out your diet w/more than crickets, go for it.
#27 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyuka View Post
:Puke

:
I think it would take a lot more than a little lettuce to make McDonalds healthy.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#28 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobybunny View Post
We all know that mickey d's is crap, most all chain store food is crap.

But I want everyone to keep in mind one thing.

I was raised by a woman who had extreme food and TV values... no sugar...EVER, no meat,dairy, the closest thing to fast food was tomato soup. and god forbid I ever had kool aid or soda, Popsicles, and for the longest time... i hated chocolate, until i learned that carob and chocolate are not the same.
No TV either.. one hour a week.

When I went to my friend's houses... I BEGGED for the sugary treats, zombied myself in front of their TV.

Then I went away to school... and discovered diet Pepsi, fast food and because I was never taught moderation of these things, I did a huge number on my body.

So in my adult house... we eat well, we do meat, dairy and organic veggies, and food from our garden, the neighbors trees and the like. BUT the kids get to go to Mickey D's, or their favorite Taco bell, they get the occasional soda, they are allowed to make reasonable responsible decisions about food NOW. And I admit we will go months with out eating fast food, and then finals hit and I am bringing home fast food every night for a week. (then we all are begging for real food again)

TV.. during the summer, the TV is rarely on, because there are lots of things to do and be.. during the Oregon rainy winters, we do watch more, IN MODERATION and the children get to make the decisions on whether they want to play card games, or watch TV.

BTW... my mom never learned this lesson.. I have a 15 year old brother (I'm 37) and when he is at my house... his head is in my son's psp, or he's zoned out on the boob tube... and raiding my fridge for goodies... And at 15, he can wipe out both my inside fridge and outside fridge of all things "banned" at mom's.
:
#29 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy View Post
Well, I have no issues re: McD either way but wanted to share a chuckle...

We have Bearded Dragons (AWESOME little pets) but the breeder made sure that we understood NEVER to feed them iceberg lettuce as it won't give them enough nutritional value. ANd, yeah, sure enough, they adore organic dark leaf lettuce.
But, hey, if you're balancing out your diet w/more than crickets, go for it.
Lucky my beardie would not eat veggies or fruit until he was a year old and now he downs the stuff.

Macdonald's = grease burgers... blah... If we do fast food we do Wendy's, you have the choice of baked potato, yogurt, fruit cup, chili, mandarin oranges, and of course fries.
I'm sure the other stuff is not any better for ya but it is a start.
#30 of 134 Old 01-10-2007, 03:49 PM

Did you know that you can buy the cool toys without buying the nasty food!! I do that all the time so my kids can have the toys and I don't have to smell the food.

Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page