Thumb-sucking Debate - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-10-2003, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My middle child, Sophia, will turn 5 next month. My DH wants her to stop sucking her thumb. I sucked my thumb at night until almost 12 & my mother always respected that & never interfered. She said, "when she doesn't need to do it anymore, she won't", and that was true indeed. We actually argue about it because I don't want him to say anything to her & he insists that it can be done GENTLY. I think braces are less important than her emotional well being, but he can't be swayed...any advice or good articles ro read on either side of the argument??
#2 of 13 Old 05-10-2003, 12:47 AM

I sucked my thumb at night until I was 8 years old. (I never sucked it during the day.) No one ever made a huge issue of it, but my mom did subtly suggest I stop, and I remember my grandmother trying to bribe me with $ to quit. I did get braces at age 8, and my orthodontist told me if I didn't quit then, I might cut my finger on the braces at night. I quit the very first day I had my braces! My siblings, neither of whom sucked their thumbs, both wore braces too, by the way. I would suggest allowing her the security of thumb sucking. There is no major issue I could think of which would b big enough or problematic enough to force her to stop.

Edited to add: I just realized this doesn't help your argument because it isn't documentation. Sorry!
#3 of 13 Old 05-10-2003, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No documents here either, just have to say what I always do - I sucked my thumb until I was 10 and have always had perfectly straight teeth, the straightest in my family. All my non-thumb-sucking siblings had to have braces. I wonder if thumb sucking actually helped me?

And yes, I agree that giving up the thumb is just like giving up the breast or diapers - the time will come when it does, but interference is likely to make the child cling to it more.
#4 of 13 Old 05-10-2003, 01:46 AM

I think you should at least talk to your DD about it. When my daughter was 5, I asked her how she felt about her thumb sucking. She told me she wanted to try to stop. She helped come up with a plan to stop. (She only sucked at night and chose to wear cotton socks on her hands to remind her not to suck.) After about 2 months she was done with the sucking and really happy with herself.
#5 of 13 Old 05-10-2003, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Alexa, THANKS
I never thought of it like that...I never considered that she may want to stop. I was worried that puting focus on it might make her self conscious. Maybe not!
#6 of 13 Old 05-10-2003, 07:47 AM

My mother told me she would put something on my thumb that would make blisters break out in my mouth if i sucked my thumb. I was hysterical, and still think about that threat now, almost 30 years later. I don't even know if such a thing exists, but it certainly existed in my nightmares for many years. So, my only moral of this story is to please not put yucky stuff on her thumb

btw, I think the need for braces might just be genetic, but I've never researched it... you could probably do a google search on it and find some info.
#7 of 13 Old 05-10-2003, 11:04 AM

We are going throught he same thing now, but with a freaking binky. My dd just turned 4 a couple weeks ago and still LOVES her binky at night. I am trying to do some gentle encouragement, while consulting with her on a plan.
#8 of 13 Old 05-10-2003, 12:54 PM

Another long-term thumbsucker (until 6) with straight teeth. I thought I had read that they'd ruled out the thumb-sucking crooked teeth connection?

#9 of 13 Old 05-10-2003, 08:57 PM

Uhhh....I have everyone beat on the long term thumb sucker issue - 35 and still working on it. I find now it completely unconscious, occasionally I wake up in the middle of the night, drool all over my pillow (yuck) and my thumb near the mouth. Right hand only, please! Usually when I'm really stressed - went for about two weeks straight after my grandma died suddenly. (Yeah - let talk regressing there). My dh says he always knows when I'm really stressed out - I'll fall alseep, and without waking the thumb pop into the mouth.

I also have straight teeth. Wore braces for 8 months, only becuase there was not enough room for all my teeth (including wisdom) so out came 4 and everything moved forward. Orthodonitst couldn't believe I was a thumb sucker. He nearly fell over when at 16 I told him I still occasionally was. Oh, I also hooked my index finger over my nose - no long term damage there either.

My mom never made an issue of it, mostly becuase it was only at night when I went to sleep. I would lie down, grab my blankie with the silk on top and pop in the thumb.

I completely agree with some of the other ladies here - it will come when it comes. Don't push her - its her security. She'll stop eventually (unlikely she'll continue to 35 - I'm just strange!)

Hey, I want a thumb sucking smiley!
#10 of 13 Old 05-10-2003, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I also did the nose-hooking thing! And that was what people teased me about - thumb sucking was all right, but not that weird nose hooking.

I think it's wrong to tamper with a child's body by putting tabasco sauce on her thumb and things like that. I wouldn't like it if someone tampered with my body to try and get me to stop my numerous annoying habits - nail chewing, itch scratching, lip biting, eyebrow twitching, etc.

#11 of 13 Old 05-10-2003, 10:33 PM

T Greaseball - does that make us hookers?
#12 of 13 Old 05-10-2003, 10:45 PM

I sucked my thumb, too, until 5 or 6 - some kids just have a strong need to suck for a long time.

My dad made comments about it that made me feel bad, but he made lots of comments about lots of things that made me feel bad - shame as a motivator. sigh.

However! I think asking her and letting her come up with the desire & the plan to quit would be so empowering!

Just don't use shaming. Not that you would.
#13 of 13 Old 05-11-2003, 01:54 PM

Thanks Stacey31 for this thread! I have a 11 month old who sucks her thumb and am appreciative of this advice to keep tucked away til the future if it becomes an issue.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page