Should you tell your child.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-17-2007, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that they aren't very good at something?

(not sure where this belongs)

yes i was watching American Idol last night, and one of the girls singing seriously thought she was really good. She was absolutely devestated when she was told that she couldn't sing. She bawled her eyes out when she went out to see her parents.
I noticed with most of the kids that can't sing the parents are right there telling them that the judges are wrong, they can sing.

Now i have one son who sounds horrible when he sings (takes after me), he knows he can't sing. I haven't come right out and said you are a horrible singer but we do joke about it. He knows he is better at other things.

So are these parents doing their children a disservice by letting them embarrass themselves in front of millions?
Would you not at some point tell them nicely that they aren't very good or do the parents not hear what we hear??

I really felt bad for this one girl because she seemed shocked and devestated that they said she wasn't any good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2007, 12:56 PM

Personally, yes....I would tell my kid if I truly thought he wasn't good at something. Especially if he planned on embarrassing himself in front of the world.

But then again, there are things like art, in which everyone has a different opinion. I mean, lots of people thought that Picasso's paintings weren't worthy of being called art. What if someone told him that he sucked, and he stopped?

I think it depends on the situation. I prefer to compliment my kids on what they ARE good at than to point out what they're not good at. And I'll bet that this little girl on American Idol would never have gotten that far without her parents pumping her up. If she truly was a bad singer, then they were mean for giving her false compliments.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:00 PM

Hmmm... I've known since senior kindergarten that I couldn't sing well. I came home from school, singing Frère Jacques and my mom told me I was flat. So I tried again and I was apparently still flat.
Not wanting to be embarrassed, I mouthed the words whenever I was in choir so that nobody would ever be subjected to my attempts at singing. Now, I sing for DS -- and he sometimes screws up his face at me like "eww".
In many ways, I'm glad my mom told me that I wasn't a good singer, because I know that I have a pretty warped view of my abilities, and still am somewhat convinced that my voice is pretty decent (DH assures me, though, that it's not!). I know that I would have embarrassed myself singing loudly in choir or trying out for school musicals and whatnot.
However, I know I'd have a really tough time telling DS something similar. Ah, I just don't know.

Kimberly: blogging wife to Todd and work-at-home-struggling-with-work/life-balance adoptive mama to Adam (2005) and Leah (2008)
Old 01-17-2007, 01:05 PM

I wouldn't say they suck, but we're a jokester family and would say something like, "don't quit your day job". I think it's downright mean to encourage publicizing a skill that they suck at

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
Old 01-17-2007, 01:07 PM

i wouldn't tell my young child that she wasn't a good singer, because kids take joy in singing.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthea™ View Post
I wouldn't say they suck, but we're a jokester family and would say something like, "don't quit your day job". I think it's downright mean to encourage publicizing a skill that they suck at
that is kind of how we are.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I wouldn't tell them they were BAD at it, but I also wouldn't give them false hope by complimenting their talents, etc.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:12 PM

There are lots of role models for people without traditional singing voices that have done well for themselves and I would let my DS know that (Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, my crush Tom Waits etc - most rock stars wouldn't make it past AI first round auditions), but also be really honest about what his voice (or any skill) limits are, if he was old enough to think about entering a competition, and what a public audition (or private) entails and what a specific competition would be looking for. We mostly listen to ragged voices here so DS has lots of examples .
Old 01-17-2007, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I think that some parents go around with rose colored glasses. They truly believe that whatever their children do, they are absolutely the best in the world at it. They really can't understand why others don't see it!

It's a thin line to walk though when it comes to parenting. I think there has to be a point when you talk to your kids about their strengths, then you tell them that they are much better at A than B. But lets say, like with my ds1 who is 7, that he loves to play soccer. He is not really good at it (OK, sometimes he can't remember what side he's on!), but he loves it all the same. It's good for him, he has fun, etc. Do I tell him and discourage him? I am not, because right now, it's just fun. But he's better at basketball, so I encourage him to do that. When I have to choose what camp to sign him up for, I would choose to send him to basketball camp, if he enjoyed that too. But if he really just wanted to play soccer, so be it. Now if he wanted to try out for the olympic team, I think we'd have to have a serious sit down.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My mom told me in the FOURTH GRADE that she didn’t think I was good enough to sing in the school talent show. I was crushed. I have also had my brother and sister telling me my whole life that I’m a terrible singer.

For the record, I can sing. I was in all-state choir in high school, as well as being in the hand-picked show choir and I’ve been singing solos since the eighth grade. A few years ago, I was offered a spot as the lead singer of a band, which unfortunately I had to turn down. To this day, I have no idea why they all told me over and over again that I couldn’t sing, unless it was either jealousy or just plain meanness.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Old 01-17-2007, 01:19 PM

Depends on the age. I think that after the age of 10, yes, I'd gently say something.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Good singing is often subjective and technique is not the be all end all, that's for sure. Children sing with heart and purity - what does technical talent have to do with it? Bob Dylan is a great example. Bruce Springsteen is another one - his voice is really getting rough lately.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzharmony View Post
Bruce Springsteen is another one - his voice is really getting rough lately.
Ah, but it makes it just that much better, IMO. Whole lotta love for the way he sings it out. I have a huge crush on him .
Old 01-17-2007, 01:30 PM

in thinking more about this, I think I'd rather my child's story be:

"No matter what, my mom always believed in me. Noone else thought I could make it, but my mom always supported me."

than:

"my mom told me i was a lousy singer/soccer player/basketweaver, so even though I loved it, I never did it again."
Old 01-17-2007, 01:34 PM

I don't think I would come right out and tell her that she sucks. But I'd probably encourage her to concentrate on her hobbies that she was good at, and hope the singing took a back burner. If she really really loved singing, I'd put her into voice lessons and hope that 1) it helped her improve or 2) it made her realize that singing wasn't worth persuing. I love singing, but I know I'm not a pro. I'm glad that nobody has ever told me I suck. Because I know that although I'm nothing special, singing is something that makes me feel good. And I would have been crushed and embarassed if my mother had told me that I was a horrible singer.

I was in a band with a guy in highschool who seriously could not sing. He refused to let the rest of us sing, because he thought he was a rock star. Nobody would tell him that he sounded like hell, because he was our friend and we didn't want to hurt his feelings. I'll never forget the day that we had band practice at the guitarist's house. I went upstairs to get a break from the singing, and my friend's father was up there laughing about how horrible it was. He finally walked downstairs and said "Guy, you sound like a dying cat. Please stop." The band kind of dissolved after that. Probably a good thing, because our first gig would have been horribly embarassing.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzharmony View Post
Good singing is often subjective and technique is not the be all end all, that's for sure. Children sing with heart and purity - what does technical talent have to do with it?
On a show like American Idol, it has a lot to do with it.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:46 PM

Yeah, I probably wouldn't come right out and say "You're absolutely awful". I would definitely point out things that he IS good at.

But, if it was a situation like American Idol...Where they wanted to fly out and audition on tv...I would not want him to embarrass himself. Maybe I wouldn't say that his singing is horrible...but I'd perhaps say that I don't think it's what they are looking for, etc.

So many people on American Idol actually think that they can really sing well. It amazes me that not even their friends have told them that they are not particularly talented in singing. I mean so many of them are absolutely horrible singers. I think it's actually mean to let them make fools of themselves. If that happened to me, I would ask my friends/family why they didn't tell me the truth.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:49 PM

I'd tell my children the truth in a loving way. I think it's mean to encourage a child to do something as a career if they're not good at it!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
Old 01-17-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama ganoush View Post
in thinking more about this, I think I'd rather my child's story be:

"No matter what, my mom always believed in me. Noone else thought I could make it, but my mom always supported me."

than:

"my mom told me i was a lousy singer/soccer player/basketweaver, so even though I loved it, I never did it again."
ITA. Also, maybe the parents think the child is wonderful? You know how love can blind people, I can imagine thinking my child is amazing at something, being able to see beauty in whatever she does, where others cannot. Who's to say it's the parents that are wrong, kwim?
Old 01-17-2007, 01:53 PM

I think it's important to do things for the joy you get out of it, and not for approval or praise. That's the message I try to give my kids.

I have seen parents that constantly heap praise on their kids for everything they do. I can see where this might give a child a false sense of their abilities, and place too much importance on the opinions of others--kids that always look for external approval.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:58 PM

i say no because of my own personal experiences. i could not carry a tune if it was a bucket, i literally could not tell you what instrument is playing in any song, just NO musical talent. BUT in the 1st grade i wanted to sing 'i'm proud to be an american' at the school talent show' and i did iin front of 200 people and they all clapped for me and i thought i did a terrific job, years later seeing the tape you can tell that the pianist was having a hard time keeping up with me because sometimes i sang slooooow and sometimes really really fast .

2nd example; i love to dance and have taken Jazz and tap lessons for years and always participated in the recital every year. i always did okay could keep up with the routines but i NEVER knew that the music in background had something to do with the dance moves (my mom can relate an argument we got in about how i was convinced the music was totally unrelated) but you know what, i had a ball in dance class! so anyways, you can take away whatever you like from my stories just know that i was always a very confident kid.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:03 PM

My mom always said "it's not HOW you sing, it's THAT you sing." In my family, I couldn't even tell you who has a worse voice - mine, my mother's, or my father's. Well, I guess I'm going to go with my dad's.

Anyway, I would have been crushed if my mom told me I was a horrible singer. Obviously she never told me I was a good singer, either, cause I never had any such illusions.

I don't see the point unless a kid was actually submitting an application to American Idol or whatever.

Kids should sing. They should sing rhymes and sing along to CDs and they should sing in the choir and so on. They shouldn't feel embarrassed.

I don't see the point in telling a kid they can't sing. You bring up American Idol, how many kids perform on there every year anyway? Do you think your kid is likely to? Do you think you need to tell your kid they can't sing "just in case" they apply to perform on AI?

What if your kid had a hook nose or was 5 pounds overweight or something? Do you make sure to tell them they aren't "that" attractive, just in case they think about being Miss America?

Do you make sure to tell your kid they aren't "that" athletic, just in case they are dreaming of becoming the next Michael Jordan?

Sure, you protect them from the judgement of others before they actually take that leap, but no need to protect ALL kids from the very, very low chance that they will try to compete on a national level on their talent.

You may think this is unrelated, but my mom told me when I was a kid that my fat stomach made me look like I was pregnant. I was a thin kid who didn't have abs of steel, ok? When I actually "was" pregnant (started out at 119 pounds) and got a big belly I suddenly was able to enjoy my belly for the first and only time - I could wear a bathing suit, or a tight outfit. I'm not preggers anymore, so I'm back to covering a belly that probably looks perfectly normal. But my mom's words stuck with me for life.

Don't make your kid embarrased to sing, even alone in the car along to the radio, for the rest of his or her life just in case they are thinking about American Idol!!!!!!!!!!!

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:12 PM

Now where would William Hung be if his mother had told him he sucked?

Just kidding. I think I would not encourage with false praise, but not discourage either. I also would get them voice lessons if they really loved singing.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
So many people on American Idol actually think that they can really sing well. It amazes me that not even their friends have told them that they are not particularly talented in singing. I mean so many of them are absolutely horrible singers. I think it's actually mean to let them make fools of themselves. If that happened to me, I would ask my friends/family why they didn't tell me the truth.
I think a lot of it, A LOT of it, is that people may be wonderful singers when they aren't scared to death. But singing in front of Simon, Paula and Randy (and wasn't Jewel there last night, too?) scares the pants off them. This is why I never made it in any high school musicals. I could sing in the car, in front of my parents, in front of my friends, in front of my mirror But I couldn't do it in front of an audience, or even the director of the play.

Now, to the subject at hand....my mom is a pretty decent artist. She went to art and design school after high school, but didn't graduate because my grandfather got hurt and she had to get a full time job to help with finances. Anytime I brought something home from art class, she'd tell me how I could ahve done it better.

Eventually, after art class, I'd just take whatever I'd made and wad it up in a heap in the bottom of my bookbag. I know now that I was secretly hoping my mom, who cleaned out my bookbag every night, would find it and figure out what was wrong. But no, she never said anything. She'd unwad them and tell me how I could have done it better.

I avoid most artistic pursuits like the plague now. I don't even like to color or draw with my daughter.

In high school, when I was in my school's chorus, and was up for a solo (which ended disastrously because of my aforementioned inability to sing solo in public ) I was singing the solo part for my mother and she told me it wasn't good enough and this is how I should do it. And then she butchered the song.

That was my senior year and I abandoned all vocal pursuits in college, despite my aunt, who had been a vocalist herself, telling me I should "do something" with my voice.

I'm not blaming anything on my mom. I really think she was just trying to help me excel at the things I'd chosen to do. But she really could have gone about it a bit differently.

No, I wouldn't give my daughter false praise. But I wouldn't be too hard on her, either. And I refuse to EVER tell my children that they "CAN'T" do something. The word isn't in my vocabulary. If it's something she's committed to, she certainly CAN. And I'll help anyway I can.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
Old 01-17-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't tell them they were BAD at it, but I also wouldn't give them false hope by complimenting their talents, etc.
I agree.

I think you can tell your child they don't have the talent for something without coming right out and saying it.

If I make a huge fuss about how great she is at X, but don't say too much when she does Y, the message comes across that she is better at X. Without coming out and hurting her feelings by saying "you stink at Y".

I think the problem is when parents praise EVERYTHING their child does, no matter how good or bad it is.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:45 PM

Slightly OT....but I was struck by the one 16 year old kid who was turned down, went outside, started crying, and then said "But I wanted to start out famous!" and his Mom patted his back and said "you will be famous. you will be."

Um, is that really a realistic goal? Just to be 'famous'??? Eh, I"m not wording this exactly how I want it - but it just struck me that even more than wanting to sing, etc, etc, he wanted to be famous, and AI does seem to attract that. Kinda sad imo.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:47 PM

Here was/is my situation I have a 15yr old who is a big muscular kid 6ft & 170 who plays football ( 9th grade) He starts as a defensive end and center. All through is junior league years he was really good. My 12 yr old isnt built like that he is more a runners build but he loves football to. Now if he grows 6 inches and gains 50lbs he could be really good but as it is he is average. He asked what I though about him playing highschool football in 2 yrs. I told him if he really wanted to it would be great but if he wanted to check out the cross country track I thought he would be really good at that too since he usually has the best time when running the mile in PE.

I mean I didnt want to say .... YES play football I think you'd be great because unless he grows ALOT he will get crushed and maybe get 2nd or 3rd string. IF he chooses to run I know he will be good and get to have more participation time.

Yes I would tell my children if they needed to redirect their efforts.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
Old 01-17-2007, 03:03 PM

I wouldn't discourage my child from singing especially if he loved it, and I'd let him know that *I* liked to hear him sing, but I would not fill him with false hopes like many parents on AI and SYTYCD do. Everyone remember Dave Kenneth Soller?
Old 01-17-2007, 03:11 PM

False hopes. Yes, exactly.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Slightly OT....but I was struck by the one 16 year old kid who was turned down, went outside, started crying, and then said "But I wanted to start out famous!" and his Mom patted his back and said "you will be famous. you will be."

Um, is that really a realistic goal? Just to be 'famous'??? Eh, I"m not wording this exactly how I want it - but it just struck me that even more than wanting to sing, etc, etc, he wanted to be famous, and AI does seem to attract that. Kinda sad imo.
That is exactly the situation I was going to bring up! Why oh why would that mother comfort her son by telling him he would be famous??? That's just demented in my opinion - the first thing I thought of was the profile for mass murderers that I saw on PBS once - young men who have the "go west young man and make your way" idiology - then for whatever reason their expectations aren't met and they go and shoot up a McDonalds. (That is obviously the condensed version.)

Couldn't she have said something more comforting and realistic, like sayyyy "fame isn't everything - you're great in my book and your family loves you". The false praise is just so so wrong.

Also - I don't think my dd has the best singing voice - but I think she should try whatever she wants to. If she wants to sing in a talent show I'm only going to encourage her. It's good for her to have confidence and to learn what it's like to be on stage. Would I tell her she's got a better voice than the others in the competition? No. Also - she can hear and she knows a good singer when she hears one.

User Tag List