We did it - 3 car seats in a Subaru wagon!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2007, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought I'd post about our success, since I have seen many 3-car-seat threads and Subaru wagons are a popular car.

The successful formula:

1 FF Sunshine Radian covertible (for ds, 2.5), rear passenger side
1 Graco infant seat W/OUT the base (for ds2, yet to be born!), rear middle
1 Fisher Price Safe Voyage Booster w/back (for dd, 5), rear driver side

Installing the infant seat without the base was the key...this is safe to do, right? I assume it's as safe as an install with the base, otherwise they wouldn't have that option?

I am sooooooooooooooooooooo happy that we don't have to buy another car!

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Banned

It's safe to install without the base. Although personally, I would put the booster in the middle as the least protected seat (if it has a shoulder belt.) Otherwise I would put the forward facing convertible in the middle, as the next least protected seat.

Oh, and this thread requires photographic evidence :
Old 01-23-2007, 11:21 PM

Yeah, I'd put the booster in the middle of you can. rf infants are the best protected. And those seats are actually MUCH safer installed without the base.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:21 PM

Way to go!
I have evidence for 3 in a Honda Civic!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 01-23-2007, 11:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
And those seats are actually MUCH safer installed without the base.
The seats are equally safe, with or without the base
Old 01-23-2007, 11:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
Way to go!
I'm impressed, I have two rear facing in the back of a Hyundai Santa Fe. They are both in Britaxes. There is absolutely no way we could get another seat in there :
Old 01-23-2007, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
Way to go!
OMG Ryan has gorgouse eyes he is going to drive the girls wild
Old 01-24-2007, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, we had Britax seats and they had to go. Oh well, better to spend $300 on new car seats than $27,000 on a new car!

Re: putting the booster seat (or the Sunshine for that matter) in the middle, I wish I could, but the only way to do that would be to take the back of the booster. That seems less safe to me. But really, what IS better - having a 5yo sitting in a booster w/back on the side, or putting her in a backless booster in the middle?

Old 01-24-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemizflava View Post
OMG Ryan has gorgouse eyes he is going to drive the girls wild
Thanks! He gets a lot of compliments on his eyes. They really are amazing.

As for carseats...we lent the Britax to my mother for her car since we couldn't fit it...
Until this month. Nate needed to move out of his infant seat. So my husband bought a minivan--agh!!!! I'm still getting over the shock of owning one. But now Nate is in the Britax, and now that AJ is 3 (and weighs as much as Ryan) they're both in backed boosters, and I've given the Graco convertible to my mother instead (I don't like that carseat much anyhow).

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 01-24-2007, 03:19 PM

I have to say that I'm VERY impressed. I tried for about 45 miutes to get my 3 kids carseats into my mom's subaru wagon and failed. But I was using 2 convertables and a backless booster.

What beautiful children everyone has!

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

Old 01-25-2007, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrie View Post
I have to say that I'm VERY impressed. I tried for about 45 miutes to get my 3 kids carseats into my mom's subaru wagon and failed. But I was using 2 convertables and a backless booster.
Two convertibles would work, but they could probably ONLY be the Sunshine Radian seats, and the backless booster would have to go in the middle. A RF Radian could also go in the middle, with a booster (back and all) on the side.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:22 PM

I have an outback wagon, and in two emergency situations I have managed to cram a Britax boulevard, a britax husky and a graco high-backed booster into my backseat. It goes something like this...install boulevard behind passenger seat (which is moved way forward) tighten boulevard, install husky in middle but do not tighten, place high back booster behind drivers seat and buckle child into it (move loosely installed husky aside slightly to buckle kid into booster) climb past kid in booster, sit on console between front seats and scrape all the skin off knuckles while tightening husky install. Repeat all steps in reverse to free everyone.
I certainly wouldn't want to make a habit of this, but it did get us through those emergencies.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:22 PM

I must say I'm impressed! I would like to see pics on how you did that, though. Now that I'm starting to think about a third , I need to convince DH that we wouldn't necessarily need to buy another car. We have a Forester and honestly, with DS in a Britax Marathon and DD in an Evenflo convertable, there's barely enough room for the pile of toys in between them!
Old 01-26-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royals95 View Post
I must say I'm impressed! I would like to see pics
on how you did that, though.
Me, too.

Quote:
Now that I'm starting to think about a third ,
Ditto.

Quote:
I need to convince DH that we wouldn't necessarily need to buy another car.
Yep!

Quote:
We have a Forester and honestly, with DS in a Britax Marathon and DD in an Evenflo convertable, there's barely enough room for the pile of toys in between them!
Well, we have an Outback, but yeah that.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
3 in a civic is impressive!

We've had 3 in an Outback since August. One rear facing infant 'bucket' with base, a forward facing 5-point harness and a booster. But.. my 6 year old can't buckle himself into the booster anymore with the infant seat next to him. So I get to buckle all 3 in, which can take some serious time if they aren't cooperative!

We have now bought an 8-seater minivan (expecting twins) and it seems so enormous! I haven't actually driven it yet, it just sits in the drive and looks at me! I will not drive until I get around to selling the Outback.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:08 PM

the hard part with that situation would be that, in using the infant seat w/o base in the middle, you would have to reinstall it every single time you took it out, unless you were leaving it in the car all the time and using a sling/ect to car baby in out of the car. IF you are reinstalling it often with it being in the middle and being 'wedged' between two seats, it might give you a faulse sense of it being installed tighly when actully it's just not moving around b/c it's stuck between the two seats out boards...
How big do you babies tend to be when born? A good option for when baby is tall enought (ie the sholders being above or at the bottem slots) then the baby would probably fit nice and great in the raidan rear facing since it has very low bottem slots and is a nice thin seat...
Old 01-30-2007, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

We will do a permanent install of the infant seat. We hardly ever took those seats out even when we were using a base - too heavy!

Ideally I would like to RF the infant in a Radian, but the only way that could work is it the RF infant goes in the middle. That would then cut me off from the backseat, where it seems like the kids are always needing to have something passed back or forward, picked up from the floor (during red lights only of course!), etc.

User Tag List