Girl/Boy room sharing - ideas? pics? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-30-2007, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't know where to post this so mods, please move if necessary....

At the time we have a two bedroom home (planning on adding on in awhile, but could be years...)

We have a 3 year old dd and a 1 year old ds, and another ds on the way. Does anyone have any clever/cute ideas about how to do the bedroom? DD and DS will be room sharing once the baby comes.....

If you have your boy/girl kids sharing a room, include pics too if you will! I need ideas. It's a small room and only has a tiny closet and one window at the end of the wall.
#2 of 6 Old 01-30-2007, 08:55 PM

We've got twin beds (that are bunkable) side by side. DD has a pink ballerina quilt and ds has a blue airplane quilt. The rooms not really big enough for much else besides the dresser.

Busy mom and loving it... dd (2/03), ds (6/05), dd (8/07), ds (12/09), ??? due 5/12

#3 of 6 Old 02-01-2007, 12:24 PM

My son and daughter share a room. I don't have pictures, but there are 2 beds--one twin, one toddler--both against walls, kind of in an L shape by the corner of the room. There's a table and chairs in the middle of the room, and 2 dressers and 2 storage systems for toys/art/sports equipment, etc.

Her bedding is pink with Dora (she picked it out) and ds's is a blue comforter. Stuff on their walls is mostly their art, and also a poster from kids science day at the local U. They're now 6.5 (ds) and 3 (dd) and don't seem to mind sharing a room at all, though the plan is to move this year and get a bigger place, because I think ds is getting to an age where he might like some space from his sis.
#4 of 6 Old 02-02-2007, 12:16 PM

My DD will be 21 months old when DS2 is born, and they're going to be sharing a room. I'm getting them matching gender-neutral bedding (hopefully something with light blue, brown, and yellow polka dots -- that's what I have in mind anyway). I'm planning to do a couple of girly wall hangings in those colors on DD's side of the room and a couple of boyish ones on DS's side of the room. I'm also getting those wooden letters to spell out each of their names above their beds.
#5 of 6 Old 02-02-2007, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I shared with my younger brother when I was a little kid. Mom made a room divider out of bricks (12-15" square) and boards--she painted the decorative bricks with primary color enamel paint. Then she put some kind of particle board (you know, that would take push pins; we were a little older) on opposite ends, fastened to the shelves, so that each side had a bulletin board and a couple of shelves. Twin beds. I honestly don't remember if the bedding matched.

I hope I'm describing it adequately. It's been over 30 years, so I don't have pictures!

Mom of two girls.
#6 of 6 Old 02-03-2007, 05:27 AM

My Dd and Ds shared a room until they were about 5 and 7 or so. They each had a twin bed in there, but at that point Dd was still mostly sleeping in my bed and Ds would come in around 4 am or so. Each had their own simple shevling unit/bookcase, and half of the closet. (Blue basket and hangers = one kid, Red basket and hangers = other kid )

A neat room dividing idea is to run a sheets across a clothes line that you've got secured along the ceiling in the middle of the room. The sheets come together/split apart like curtains so they can be pulled at night or whenever a kid is wanting privacy, and pulled open tied back during the day for open play, etc. If you wanted to you could let the kids do handprints in paint on the sheets or other cool stuff to make it personal.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page