What parts of AP do you practice? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What AP practices do you follow?
Breastfeeding 190 100.00%
Extended Breastfeeding 170 100.00%
Co-sleeping 197 100.00%
No CIO 192 100.00%
Non-Circ 124 100.00%
Non vax 90 100.00%
Babywearing 185 100.00%
Gentle discipline 187 100.00%
Cloth diapering 137 100.00%
Other-please explain 40 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2003, 10:01 PM
pie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is that non violent communication?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2003, 12:37 PM

I checked:

*Breastfeeding. Not sure if it's Extended or not, since they're only 1!
*No CIO
*Non-vax (except really it is partial vax and some delayed vax)
*Babywearing
*Gentle discipline
*Cloth diapering (when we're at home.. I can't figure out how to do cloth for twins when traveling)

Plus, I checked Other to include:

*Organic baby food, mostly homemade.
*No TV!! No Baby Einstein, etc. videos!! EVER!
*Try to use as many natural toys as we can (wood, blocks, etc... not nosiy plastic toxic over-stimulating things).
*Minimal use of baby "contraptions" (swings, seats, highchairs, jumper, Exersaucer, etc.etc.)
*SAHM for 11 mos.; now working only 16 hours/week, much of which from home. This was a choice we made for AP reasons, i.e., to take the $$$ cut so I could be with both babies as much as possible.
*Use "green" cleaners to minimize household toxins
*Try to use homeopathy first, NOT DRUGS, to treat dd and ds when necessary (ear infections, teething pains, cold symptoms, etc.). I think Tylenol drops here and there is as bad as it gets.
*Others???? I'm sure there are others.

Not sure how much of this is AP vs. "natural family living". But it all comes from the same place in terms of my hopes and goals for how I want to raise my children, so I put it all down warts and all.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mamapie
is that non violent communication?
yes mamapie.
Old 05-25-2003, 12:29 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mamapie
[B]cloth diapering and non vax are not in essence a part of AP. They are a part of natural family living, really, and natural health. The two can and very often do go hand in had but they are not precisely one in the same, in my opinion.]

Mamapie - Yes, you're right. Cloth diapering, non-vax, and also wooden toys, organic foods, natural cleaning solutions, ect., are all part of the "natural living" category. They are not part of the AP definition itself. Although, many of us do some or all of the natural living practices.

Many of us are high on the scale for AP, but lower on the scale of natural living. That's where my family fits in.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I voted everything but non-vaxing, even though I have a girl. I certainly won't circ her. I won't circ my next child if it turns out to be a boy. I've practiced all of these at times, although she weaned from the family bed and the breast between her 3rd and 4th year. She asked to nurse last night, however, but didn't really know how to anymore.

I will probably vax my next child, although I want to delay it for awhile and do it selectively. I did a little of that with my dd, but she has had all of her immunizations through two years. I have no idea if she is supposed to have more or not as she hasn't been to a doctor in two years.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:23 PM

We are relaxed homeschoolers, use slings, EN, no cio, self wean, have an open family bed, gentle parent, rarely use a sitter, infant massage, have a chiropractor and midwife gentle birth if possible, child led toileting, very selectively vax, lots of waldorf dolly/wooden trains here, read mothering since forever, and buy organic. We do not do 'ap', we do the things we choose for mainly instinctive reasons and because that is the way I was raised.(cultural) I grew up near dr sears family in so cal and that is the same way many others there were raised during the early sixties. I think sears is a marketing genious for giving it a label and selling it up in a book. he gets credit for ap but he did not coin it.
We also circ'd, used disposys, love fast food, play gameboy, watch TV especially cartoons, love love our double stroller, kids have their lovies/silkie & pacys as they want, and for fun regularly buy a pinata of sponge bob fill it with sugary candy and offer it up to the neighborhood children to whack at. We are not 'natural' health people IMHO even though I own hemp stuff, birkenstocks, and tie dye. I just like the look cause that is what mom used to wear. this is a very interesting thread-
mom to ds 14, ds9, ds6, dd 3 1/2
Old 05-28-2003, 12:10 AM

nak

I checked everything except non-circ...yes, both our boys are circumcised. We are also homeschoolers (and my dh is a public school teacher : )
Old 05-29-2003, 07:14 AM

I didn't check non-circ as I do not have a boy.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 05-31-2003, 11:47 AM

I breastfeed, cosleep, babywear, gentle discipline, no cio.....

I hope I EN..but Aidan's only 7 weeks old..so who knows on that one!

its funny to see how much things have changed...I was not so AP with Cassidy, I only nursed for 8 weeks and did do modified cio at bedtime with her...

though, I did carry her everywhere and we do gentle discipline..so I'd say we were on the edge...and I learned from my mistakes.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:57 PM

not as much as you guys, but im happy.

we do gentle discipline.

we never do CIO.

i think being gentle is the #1 important thing to me.

i can't imagine spanking him.

User Tag List