Your children's childhood - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-19-2003, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are you most proud of (and least if you like) regarding the type of childhood that your children are receiving as a result of your parenting and the type of environment you are setting up?

It could be the amount of time they get to spend outdoors in the fresh air. It could be the gentle manner you take with your kids that you wish your parents had with you, etc.

Just curious....thought this could be a fun question
Kylix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2003, 08:57 PM

Interesting question!

The other day, we were reading "Curious George Rides a Bike", and dd was very interested in the diagram that showed how to make a boat out of newspapers. So I got some newspaper and we made a boat. Obviously, once you've made a boat you need to launch it, so we walked down to the river and did so. It was quite seaworthy indeed, and we watched it go until it rounded the bend. Then we hung out and fed ducks and geese for a long time, and then I gave her a piggy-back ride home, and she fell asleep snuggled up against my back.

I thought at the time, yay! This is the kind of mom I've always wanted to be.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:14 PM

I am proud of the fact that my children are being given honest, intelligent answers to their questions. If they express a keen interest in something, we find out more about it. They are receiving the message that their interests are just as important as anyone else's.

I am also happy that my children are incredibly healthy. They were both BF exclusively until 6 months, then intermittently with healthy solid foods. They would rather run and play than do anything else. They both HATE candy, cookies, cake, and soda (thank goodness).

But I think that I am most proud of the fact that our family is so close. We all trust each other completely, and my children know they can come to us with any problem.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:37 PM

This is a wonderful question Kylix!

What I am most proud of is that I have provided a stable, loving marriage for my DD to witness and hopefully emulate. I did not have that (that's an understatement!) and I am so proud of the way DH and I relate to each other, I think it's something that she will definitely reap the benefits from.

Second, I am proud of the fact that my DD has a mother who puts her (meaning DD's!) needs first. Not that I am at all a martyr, but I grew up with an extremely narcissistic and self-absorbed mother whose sole philosophy was "if it's good for me, that's all that matters." I quit a job that I love to be at home with DD, and I don't resent it in the least! Yes, I did it for her but I also did it for me! I see the things that I do FOR HER as also being FOR ME because I love her so much.

I have to stress that I don't applaud martyrdom and all moms need their selfish moments. I just try to limit mine instead of making them the top priority.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:43 PM

I'm proud of the fact that I married a wonderful partner that plays an active role in their lives every moment of every day. Even if something happened to my marriage, I know my children have a father who is going to be there every step of the way and parent the way we decided to parent before they ever came into our family.
I am proud that my children get honest, on their level answers to their questions and that whenever I do have those bad mommy moments they know that I love them and would sacrifice my soul for them.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:43 PM

How interesting...I'd just been thinking about starting a thread like this.

I am proud of the fact that I finally matured enough to pick a life's mate who would not only be a good husband, but a wonderful father. I am proud that my daughter is loved to peices and KNOWS it, that she is always responded to, always validated in how she feels and who she is, that her spirit of adventure and investigation is not squashed, that she is surrounded by cuddles! I am proud of the long, heartfelt research I did to come to a way of parenting that truly feels to be the best start in life I could give her!

I am least proud of the fact that the TV is almost always on when we're home (though thankfully, she shows zero interest in it), that I sometimes spend more time on this board than I feel I should, and that sometimes I lose my temper with DH in front of her (BUT, I made a promise to her 2 weeks ago to NEVER do that again and so far I have kept my promise!).

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 05-20-2003, 01:02 AM

Among so many other details of his almost 3 year old life and my parenting choices during this time, I am proud of the fact that my son has been attending a loving and nurturing daycare since he was 5 months old and is becoming EXACTLY the person I would have wished he would be! I am also proud of the fact that, while being employed outside the home, I am still able to practice all of the components of AP that I want to. Mostly, though, I am in awe of my son each day because I know it's not just my parenting, but also who he is as an individual, that makes a difference.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

I love all the responses...this has turned into a fun thread.
Jmeister, I must say that I think it's a wonderful thing that your children would rather run and play than sit around and eat junk food. I run into far too many kids who do the latter way too much. It's so sad cuz it's a downward spiral.

I wish I had more to my own thread. I look forward to rejoicing in my own children's childhood(s) when that day comes.

Keep the testimonies coming!!!
Kylix
Old 05-20-2003, 08:26 AM

This is a great topic! I am most proud of the decision to allow dd to self-wean (20 months and still going strong!). I am also proud of our commitment toward healthy eating. Dh especially has made big changes in that dept. We both grew up with overprocessed, preservative- laden, prepackaged meals, and definitely don't want the same for her.
What am I least proud of? I don't feel I have made enough of an effort to find playmates for dd. We go to the park and to storytime twice a week, but I sometimes wonder if she needs more time around other children.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:30 AM

I am proud that dd loves to bike and camp as much as she loves to dress up and be a faiiry princess...
I love that her competence and self-assurance grow every day. I love that she makes me soup...and that I eat it, no matter what!

I love that she stands up for herself and that she knows it's okay to say it's NOT ok when I yell!

I love that she expects explanations, and that we try to give them to her.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:32 PM

i love that my daughters are being raised in a loving, safe, reliable family. my parents divorced when i was very young and all my childhood i went back and forth between my parents which SUCKED!!! not until i was 18 had i ever stayed in a single place more than 2 weeks!!!!i love that my daughters know they will always be listened and attended to and never belittled. that they love nature and the *best treat* is going camping or working in the garden. i am incredibly thankful that as females they are able to be raised to be strong, intelligent, thoughtful ladies who can raise hell just like a man. and right now i feel so blessed that my oldest dd's favorite story for me to tell when we are all snuggled up in bed is the story of her sister's birth
golly i think my pregnancy hormones are racing 'cuz i don't know if i want to or
i am TRULY blessed
Old 05-21-2003, 12:04 AM

Well, Cole is only 6 months old but I think the thing I'm most proud of in parenting him so far is that we've introduced him to a lot of experiences - we take him everywhere with us, he's been hiking and he's been to Boston and Dallas, he goes to restaurants and the park, we're taking swim classes right now...it's not that our lives are a whirlwind of activity, but I do try to show him things. He gets bored if we stay at home too much.

In the future, I just want to be able to parent him with patience and acceptance. I want him to remember his childhood as a time when he felt secure and loved. That to me is the best start I can give him.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sozobe
Interesting question!

The other day, we were reading "Curious George Rides a Bike", and dd was very interested in the diagram that showed how to make a boat out of newspapers. So I got some newspaper and we made a boat. Obviously, once you've made a boat you need to launch it, so we walked down to the river and did so. It was quite seaworthy indeed, and we watched it go until it rounded the bend. Then we hung out and fed ducks and geese for a long time, and then I gave her a piggy-back ride home, and she fell asleep snuggled up against my back.

I thought at the time, yay! This is the kind of mom I've always wanted to be.
Off Topic for a moment: Sozobe this is my dh's favorite book as a child we looked all over for it the night I found out I was pg. We did the same thing with dd and I just diid this today with ds. Loved your post

Anyaway back to the question. I like that my childrens childhood is filled with little family traditons and spontanaity. Every monday night me and dd take a walk together. Our weekends are calm and filled with lazy days at the park hiking, catching fireflies. Getting in the car on Sunday picking a spot on the map and going exploring. Giving our kids time to be kids YKWIM. Puttin on shows for us and making art projects. I love taking a simple thing and making it extra special, cutting my kids sandwhiches with cookie cutters, sponatneous lunch picnic with our teddie bears.I bring bubbles everywhere to make waitning for daddy to get out the store fun while blowing bubbles out of the car window. Taking ds to Natural History musuem to see the dinos because that is what he is into now. Taking dd to the DIA a couple of years ago to see the Monet exhibit because she watched a video on him and was really into trying to draw lillie pads.Putting on music and dancing all together in a big circle. Dh is taking a dance class with dd my dh hates to dance but he is making this extra effort because we know one day she will look for a man who will go that extra step to make her smile just like her daddy does, he is even in a recital with her. I love that I never backed down from doing what was best for my children and they sense that I truly believ, we co-sleep when everyone thinks it is crazy I BF'ed both my kids and am still nursing my 27 month old. I could go on forever so i will stop now

User Tag List