If insurance replaced your car seat due to a car accident.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-11-2007, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS & I were in a minor car accient last week, the other lady's fault, and when her insurance contacted me I told them that I had 2 carseats in the van at the time of the accident and I needed to know how to go about replacing them. The ins adjuster said just buy new carseats and send them the receipt and they will reimburse me.
I'm going to replace them with Britax carseats, but I'm wondering if the INS company will laugh at me when I send them the receipt? She didn't tell me there was a price limit or anything, but I don't want to get stuck paying the bill!

Anybody have expierience in this department? I feel a little strange calling them up and asking if they're going to cover my $600.00 carseat bill if you KWIM?!

Lynisha ~Car Seat Tech-Scrapbookin'-Cake Decorating-semi-crunchy wife & SAHM to 2 + one on the way in Nov~

#2 of 14 Old 03-11-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthbaby View Post
DS & I were in a minor car accient last week, the other lady's fault, and when her insurance contacted me I told them that I had 2 carseats in the van at the time of the accident and I needed to know how to go about replacing them. The ins adjuster said just buy new carseats and send them the receipt and they will reimburse me.
I'm going to replace them with Britax carseats, but I'm wondering if the INS company will laugh at me when I send them the receipt? She didn't tell me there was a price limit or anything, but I don't want to get stuck paying the bill!

Anybody have expierience in this department? I feel a little strange calling them up and asking if they're going to cover my $600.00 carseat bill if you KWIM?!
make sure you get it on paper first and you should be fine
#3 of 14 Old 03-11-2007, 08:51 PM

Save the old car seats. If they say anything about the price of the new ones tell them you are replacing what you already had and they are welcome to take the old seats if they need proof.
#4 of 14 Old 03-11-2007, 08:55 PM

As long as you're replacing them with something of equal value it should be fine. I mean.... they aren't going to pay for Britax unless you had Britax seats that were damaged. Kwim?

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#5 of 14 Old 03-11-2007, 09:14 PM

We were rear-ended last May. They didn't care at all if we were replacing with equal value or not. In our case, we were, but they didn't care and it wasn't a factor. DO keep your old seats. They may require you give them to them to destroy.

-Angela
#6 of 14 Old 03-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Banned

IME, they don't care if the seats are of equal value. Get the new seats and submit the claim
#7 of 14 Old 03-11-2007, 10:42 PM

IME most insurance companies will not pay more than the current retail value on the seats that were affected. So if you had Britax, then they have to pay for like replacements which are Britax. Go ahead and see what happens when you turn the receipts in but be aware they may say no and you will be responsible for the difference.

DC

ETA: Check with your present carseat manufacturer also. They may offer a replacement/reimbursement program of their own in which case you can collect twice.
#8 of 14 Old 03-11-2007, 10:43 PM

We replaced DD's Boulevard recently because of a crash (just before my due date). Annoyingly, I hadn't installed the bucket yet for baby, so we only got one replaced I would have appreciated the new baby bucket. Anyway... I did call and ask, because I was worried they would balk at the bill. They said as long as it was the same seat, it was OK. She did check online to verify that they were that expensive, she had never written a check for a seat that was $300! And I had to supply original reciept.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#9 of 14 Old 03-11-2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyavery View Post
And I had to supply original reciept.
The receipt for the carseat that was damaged? or the new one you bought as replacement?

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#10 of 14 Old 03-12-2007, 01:10 AM

I had to buy the same seats or as close to them as possible. They asked for the brand and style of each one and then I had to turn the old ones in w/ the receipt for the new ones.
#11 of 14 Old 03-12-2007, 01:44 AM
Banned

Same thing here -- we had to replace the old seats with new that were the same or similar. If you want to upgrade, you could probably do that and just pay the difference. You should get a settlement (to cover vehicle damage, and pain and suffering for each person who was in the car) from the accident if the other driver was at fault anyway, so you'll still wind up ahead.
#12 of 14 Old 03-12-2007, 01:50 PM

Yep I bought new Britax and they sent me a check. They did make a comment at the price "$270 for a casreat?" and I said yes they are Britax and thats what I had. They HAVE TO replace what you had and you do NOT need to show them a receipt for the original. If they tell you that say you obvisouly no longer have it and can send pics of the original seats. And they will probably let it go.
#13 of 14 Old 03-12-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchyMama2 View Post
The receipt for the carseat that was damaged? or the new one you bought as replacement?
Just the new one But a friend wanted to replace her Graco with a Britax and wanted the $$ value of the Graco not a replacement seat. She had to show her original reciept for the Graco to get the $$ rather than a seat.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#14 of 14 Old 03-12-2007, 11:56 PM

I was just recently in this situation. The other driver was at fault (rear end collision), and he's insured by State Farm. My son was riding in a Marathon when we were rear-ended, and I decided to upgrade to a Boulevard following the accident. I submitted the receipt for the Boulevard to State Farm, and an agent called to confirm that I was replacing the car seat I had before. I told him the truth and said my previous car seat was a Marathon and less expensive. In the end, State Farm paid what the Marathon was worth, and I paid the difference for the Boulevard.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page