Air travel with Britax Marathon?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2007, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you ladies seen this product? It looks ingenious. Unfortunately it's about $70+ ?

http://www.kidsflysafe.com/

It's a harness.
Quote:
CARES (for “Child Aviation
Restraint System”) is an innovative belt-and-buckle harness
safety device that attaches directly to the airplane seat belt. It is the first
alternative airplane child safety system to be certified by the FAA
for all phases of flight – taxiing, take off, turbulence and landing.
The CARES airplane safety restraint harness is for children
between 22 and 44 pounds, and sitting in their own seat. CARES
weighs only 1 pound and installs in just 1 minute!
Quote:
On August 14, 2006, the FAA Rule permitting CARES to be brought on board planes by parents became effective. On August 30, 2006, CARES was certified for use on all United States commercial and private aircraft. The FAA notes that CARES is the only alternative to an FAA-certified car seat permitted on planes for children who weigh between 22 and 44 pounds sitting in their own seats.
I personally don't bring the carseats on board (we fly from California to East Coast once or twice a year.) Too much of a hassle and then my preschooler won't sit in it anyway, wasting valuable real estate space (that seat.)

I usually check it in at the gate (and risk damage).

The last time I rented a car seat in Hawaii, I got an old car seat and my firstborn son was miserable in it. I learned my lesson and I take my own car seat (the ones my kids are used to) so they are more comfortable.

My girlfriend just borrowed my Britax Roundabout (2001 - it's old and it's my back-up) so she wouldn't have to lug her Marathon for a plane trip.

I did recently purchase a folding car seat (very heavy, with latch, can't remember the name) in case I want to travel with something, I can take that.

I found this online.

Safer Airplane Travel with Babies & Toddlers

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2007, 09:04 PM

britax car seats are FAA approved for plane travel as are many others. Do you honestly think I just lug a car seat around an airplane and airport for the heck of it? It is not for some "imagined" safety standard. Turbulence is NOT always announced by the pilots. Plane seats are CPR's, child passenger restraints (the very same car seats you use in a car that are approved by the FAA). A crash is a crash, BUT turbulence is turbulence and it does kill and it does injure. Also, emergency landings can kill and injure. In those cases, a child passenger restraint would help a great deal. I have not found my child's restraint to be bulky and out of place on a plane, it was the safest way for him to fly on an airplane, and so we did that. It wasn't so awful, but then we are prepared to make his flight as safe as we can. Most times on airplanes these days there are no extra seats available for folks to stretch out and use two seats to take a nap. Folks who try to do lap babies are in for a rude awakening when they end up strangers next to them who are less than pleased that they are sharing a row meant for 3 people with four people instead. Bringing a car seat along is not a financial burden, they are not counted as luggage usually, and I would never rely on a car rental place to give me a proper seat for my child. I took a train once, and forgot the seat, and tried getting one from the car rental place, they tried giving me an infant restraint for my 2 yo, then a booster, then a very old seat with no book or instructions on how to properly install it. I asked them to borrow a better seat from a competing company, and finally found a reasonable seat, but it was not ideal, and I will never do that again. Now I travel with our own seat. I hardly call your post data, if you want data, there is some below. The FAA, the NTSB, the AAP, and the NHTSA all recommend children to use child passenger restraints aboard airplanes.

http://www.otoh.org/opal/carseat.html

http://www.faa.gov/passengers/media/childsafety.pdf

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...t/flysmart.ppt
Traveling with children (From the FAA)
Quote:

The regulations allow that a child
�who has not reached their 2nd birthday MAY be held by an adult who is occupying a seat.
The same regulation allows for the child to be in an approved child restraint system (CRS)
A child who is held by an adult has less protection in an accident than any piece of galley equipment on that airplane

In an accident occupants typically experience 20g's or 20 times their weight
A 20 pound child will react with a moving force of 400 pounds - there is no way you will be able to hold on to them
Strapping them into your seat belt will cause them to sustain fatal internal injuries and is illegal

The only option is to put them into an approved CRS
What's NOT approved
Booster seats
Vest / Harness-type CRS's
Belt-positioning booster seats
Belly belts

�Approved CRS's have a label that states:
�This restraint is certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft�
If your child is:
Under 20 LBS - use a rear facing CRS
20 to 40 LBS - use forward facing CRS
Over 40 LBS - use the seat belt with no CRS

Ask airline if they offer a discounted fare for a child traveling in a CRS
A CRS should be placed in a window seat so it will not block the escape path
CRS�s will not be allowed in an Exit Row
Check the width of your CRS, if wider than 16 inches is unlikely to fit into a coach seat

If you do not purchase a ticket for your child, check with the airline and avoid flights during their busiest times
In many cases the airlines will allow you to use a CRS in an empty seat without having to pay a fare, however check with the airline for their policy regarding an empty seat, prior to booking the flight
From the AAP http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...s%3b108/5/1218
Quote:
In a study comparing persons fatally injured in aircraft in 1980 and 1990, blunt injury (in particular, head injury) from deceleration forces was the most important threat to survival. Head injuries were listed as the immediate cause of death in 33% of those younger than 15 years. As with other forms of transportation, effective restraint systems decrease the probability of head injury.

Turbulence is the leading cause of nonfatal injuries to aircraft passengers and flight attendants. From 1981 through 1997, there were 342 reports of turbulence affecting major airlines. Three passengers died, 80 had serious injuries, and 769 had minor injuries.

A child on the lap of an adult cannot be effectively restrained in a motor vehicle or aircraft crash. A child who travels on the lap of another occupant or unrestrained in a motor vehicle has a substantially greater risk of injury and death, compared with a restrained child. Hazards associated with the on-lap position are also well documented in aircraft crash investigations. Three children on the laps of adults were fatally injured and others nonfatally injured in the 1987 crash in Denver, CO, the 1989 crash in Sioux City, IA, and the 1994 crash in Charlotte, NCwhich were all caused by turbulence. The NTSB has reported 2 crashes in which CSSs were used and provided protection to children
Old 04-01-2007, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

We're home and chose not to bring the seat on the plane. I am planning to go to Target and buy a smaller, lightweight seat for future air travel. Here's why:

1. DD was not able to sleep stretched out between us well, nor on my lap. She woke every 20 min or so crying and needing to nurse and get more comfy. In her carseat on the way to Aus she slept great since she's used to her seat and it kept her from rolling around. I now have to go see the chiropractor tomorrow cause my back is messed up from holding a sleeping toddler in a strange position for several hours.

2. There was some turbulence and they asked us to put on seat belts. She did NOT want any part of the plane seat belt. Had it been her carseat I don't think she would have complained too much since she's used to it.

3. Our car seat didn't make it on the final leg of our flight so we were left at the airport without a seat to get her home in. Luckily the airline had a spare (crappy but better than nothing) which they lent us but if they hadn't we would have been SOL.

4. Rental car seats suck!

I now think it's worth the hassle of carrying a lightweight carseat through the airport to ensure the child is safe not only on the plane but that you have your carseat when you arrive to where you're going.

I would buy one of the CARES harnesses but we live in a small town with a small airport. All of the flights out of here are either prop planes or very small jets that have seats that are not compatible with the harness. The reason is that the tray on the back of the seat is inset in the seat so if the harness was installed it would interfere with the tray being able to close.

Hope this helps!!!
Old 04-02-2007, 10:36 AM

I had no idea so many people used car seats on planes for toddlers. Granted I don't fly much now, but I flew all the time growing up and in my pre-kid adult years, and I rarely encountered turbulence. I guess I don't understand why it's so much safer (since most crashes would result in death for everyone), or at least safer enough to the degree that it's worth the pita. Though I can see those stats up above. It's just that ime the child being restless chance is like, 100% (have only flown once with him though), and ime the turbulence chance is not so high.

Although I am passing on a weekend trip with the kids, b/c there's way no way I"m going to rely on the rental carseats or put my 4yo in a booster, and the trip and carseat lugging and hotel issues and everything doesn't seem worth it to me (call me lazy). So I can respect the striving for safety thing. But I still don't know if i'd use them on the plane.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:24 PM

Moochie Mamma ,

Thank you so much for your update! Glad you all made it back safely. Sorry it was a rough trip!

It definitely helps and we will be bringing our carseat on board. (We have both a Marathon & a Roundabout and we travel with the Roundabout.) Our 13 hour flight is next Tuesday!
Old 04-02-2007, 02:58 PM

I haven't flown internationally, but have made several flights with babies/toddlers within the US. My observations:

*the airline wants you to check the carseat.
*the flight attendents are not happy to have to deal with you getting a bulky car seat to fit in the small airplane seats.
*ditto on any passengers who may be sitting near you - although in my experience, the car seat must be on the window so as not to restrict anyone getting out in case of emergency, but of course, you will be in the middle seat next to the car seat. However, the person in front of you cannot recline because the car seat and/or toddler's legs/feet are in the way.
*actually getting you, the toddler, the carseat, the luggage, your carryons, etc. from your car to the airplane is a nightmare. If you have more than one adult, it isn't as bad - but I'd never take a car seat if I was the only adult. Been there, done that - ugh.
*almost no one takes car seats. Every time I've flown with kids, my kids are the only ones on the plane that have car seats.

I can appreciate the "my kid is going to be as safe as possible/I'm going to prepare for every possibility/will deal with any amount of stress to make that happen" argument. I thought that way too - when I had only one kid.

On the flip side, I can imagine that the rental car car seats leave quite a bit to be desired. And that many kids would sleep better in their car seat. So IF I were to take a car seat on a plane (I really don't think I'll ever do this again - dd3 is almost four), I'd buy/borrow something small/lightweight. NO WAY that my Britax Wizards are going on a plane... Honestly, the seat next to it would have only partial room, and we all know that you are squeezed in as it is.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwebbal View Post
britax car seats are FAA approved for plane travel as are many others. Do you honestly think I just lug a car seat around an airplane and airport for the heck of it? It is not for some "imagined" safety standard. Turbulence is NOT always announced by the pilots. Plane seats are CPR's, child passenger restraints (the very same car seats you use in a car that are approved by the FAA). A crash is a crash, BUT turbulence is turbulence and it does kill and it does injure. Also, emergency landings can kill and injure. In those cases, a child passenger restraint would help a great deal. I have not found my child's restraint to be bulky and out of place on a plane, it was the safest way for him to fly on an airplane, and so we did that. It wasn't so awful, but then we are prepared to make his flight as safe as we can. Most times on airplanes these days there are no extra seats available for folks to stretch out and use two seats to take a nap. Folks who try to do lap babies are in for a rude awakening when they end up strangers next to them who are less than pleased that they are sharing a row meant for 3 people with four people instead. Bringing a car seat along is not a financial burden, they are not counted as luggage usually, and I would never rely on a car rental place to give me a proper seat for my child. I took a train once, and forgot the seat, and tried getting one from the car rental place, they tried giving me an infant restraint for my 2 yo, then a booster, then a very old seat with no book or instructions on how to properly install it. I asked them to borrow a better seat from a competing company, and finally found a reasonable seat, but it was not ideal, and I will never do that again. Now I travel with our own seat. I hardly call your post data, if you want data, there is some below. The FAA, the NTSB, the AAP, and the NHTSA all recommend children to use child passenger restraints aboard airplanes.
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
I haven't flown internationally, but have made several flights with babies/toddlers within the US. My observations:

*the airline wants you to check the carseat.
*the flight attendents are not happy to have to deal with you getting a bulky car seat to fit in the small airplane seats.
*ditto on any passengers who may be sitting near you - although in my experience, the car seat must be on the window so as not to restrict anyone getting out in case of emergency, but of course, you will be in the middle seat next to the car seat. However, the person in front of you cannot recline because the car seat and/or toddler's legs/feet are in the way.
*actually getting you, the toddler, the carseat, the luggage, your carryons, etc. from your car to the airplane is a nightmare. If you have more than one adult, it isn't as bad - but I'd never take a car seat if I was the only adult. Been there, done that - ugh.
*almost no one takes car seats. Every time I've flown with kids, my kids are the only ones on the plane that have car seats.

I can appreciate the "my kid is going to be as safe as possible/I'm going to prepare for every possibility/will deal with any amount of stress to make that happen" argument. I thought that way too - when I had only one kid.

On the flip side, I can imagine that the rental car car seats leave quite a bit to be desired. And that many kids would sleep better in their car seat. So IF I were to take a car seat on a plane (I really don't think I'll ever do this again - dd3 is almost four), I'd buy/borrow something small/lightweight. NO WAY that my Britax Wizards are going on a plane... Honestly, the seat next to it would have only partial room, and we all know that you are squeezed in as it is.
Just wanted to respond to a few things, as we've flow a lot over the last 2.5 years (DD took 22 flights by the time she was two).

*the airline wants you to check the carseat. Nope. Never had anyone with the airline tell me they wanted us to check the seat. In fact, we are always getting comments on how nice it is to see parents bringing the car seat on.
*the flight attendents are not happy to have to deal with you getting a bulky car seat to fit in the small airplane seats. Again, we've only ever had positive comments regarding the seat from airline employees. Flight attendants also go out of their way to assist us when necessary.
*ditto on any passengers who may be sitting near you - although in my experience, the car seat must be on the window so as not to restrict anyone getting out in case of emergency, but of course, you will be in the middle seat next to the car seat. However, the person in front of you cannot recline because the car seat and/or toddler's legs/feet are in the way. Nope. The seats always recline in front of us. Even in those little 50 person planes. If the seat were rear facing this may be an issue. Also, I always sit next to DD in the middle (as you said, they have to be in a window) so we've never been a bother to other passengers.
*actually getting you, the toddler, the carseat, the luggage, your carryons, etc. from your car to the airplane is a nightmare. If you have more than one adult, it isn't as bad - but I'd never take a car seat if I was the only adult. Been there, done that - ugh. I too did it when I was 38 weeks preggo with DD, so I can relate. Yep, it's a pain.
*almost no one takes car seats. Every time I've flown with kids, my kids are the only ones on the plane that have car seats. I have seen quite a few car seats on planes actually (I travel for business as well so tend to fly a bit). All of my IRL friends also travel w/ their car seats. I of course see as many lap babies.

Just my experience - I wanted to show the other side as well, for moms who may be on the fence about this issue. We've always had a very good experience with the car seats on planes. Granted, I usually fly with DH so that makes it easier. Alone is tough!
Old 04-02-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
I had no idea so many people used car seats on planes for toddlers. Granted I don't fly much now, but I flew all the time growing up and in my pre-kid adult years, and I rarely encountered turbulence. I guess I don't understand why it's so much safer (since most crashes would result in death for everyone), or at least safer enough to the degree that it's worth the pita. Though I can see those stats up above. It's just that ime the child being restless chance is like, 100% (have only flown once with him though), and ime the turbulence chance is not so high.
I travel for business quite often and I experience turbulance on almost every flight I take. Usually it is very minor and doesn't last long though. I will tell you that I have been in such severe turbulance that I don't think I would've been able to hold onto a baby or toddler to keep them from flying up and hitting the ceiling of the plane. It's so scary and it came on out of the blue, with no notice at all. This is why we fly with a car seat. JME...
Old 04-02-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Though I can see those stats up above. It's just that ime the child being restless chance is like, 100% (have only flown once with him though), and ime the turbulence chance is not so high.
I said it earlier and I don't mean to say I told her so, but the OP talked about how her daughter was restless on her 14 hour flight and slept for only 6 hours, so she didn't take the car seat, and her daughter barely slept. I pointed out before that return flight that perhaps it might end up being that way, that without a car seat a child would be less likely to sleep. Now OP, I don't say that to be rude or "I told you so", I appreciate the fact that you had your experience and shared it with the board, and learned from it. I am grateful you did that. I know for my own son that would be the case, he knows he can fall asleep in his car seat, but regular sleeping would be harder for him on a plane out of a car seat. If a child is restless, you CAN take them for a little walk to the bathroom, or even take them out of their seat, but to not have that seat when you need it seems so short sighted. Turbulence DOES happen, and you might not think the chances are that high, BUT if if it did, what would you do then? Of course you could try the regular seat belt (if your child has a seat, lap babies would be at serious risk), but I personally would not rely on that. It just doesn't seem adequate for the extreme turbulence we are talking about, the kind I and the poster above me have experienced. I know I could not have held onto my child when we were dropping hundreds if not a couple thousand feet at a time.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I said it earlier and I don't mean to say I told her so, but the OP talked about how her daughter was restless on her 14 hour flight and slept for only 6 hours, so she didn't take the car seat, and her daughter barely slept. I pointed out before that return flight that perhaps it might end up being that way, that without a car seat a child would be less likely to sleep.
That is ONE SINGLE case. Most kids do fine sleeping with a comfy pillow and blanket (we bring our own). My dd would be climbing the walls if we brought her car seat. And in my experience, watching dozens of other kids on international flights, so would they. You are giving all of this advice and you haven't even ever flown transatlantically (or pacifically) according to your past posts. Flying in the US and flying OUS are really two completely different animals with a whole different set of rules and completely different tricks that work. You are giving advice based on short flights (anything under 6 hours is short IMHO).
Old 04-02-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoablessing View Post
:

Just wanted to respond to a few things, as we've flow a lot over the last 2.5 years (DD took 22 flights by the time she was two).

*the airline wants you to check the carseat. Nope. Never had anyone with the airline tell me they wanted us to check the seat. In fact, we are always getting comments on how nice it is to see parents bringing the car seat on.
*the flight attendents are not happy to have to deal with you getting a bulky car seat to fit in the small airplane seats. Again, we've only ever had positive comments regarding the seat from airline employees. Flight attendants also go out of their way to assist us when necessary.
*ditto on any passengers who may be sitting near you - although in my experience, the car seat must be on the window so as not to restrict anyone getting out in case of emergency, but of course, you will be in the middle seat next to the car seat. However, the person in front of you cannot recline because the car seat and/or toddler's legs/feet are in the way. Nope. The seats always recline in front of us. Even in those little 50 person planes. If the seat were rear facing this may be an issue. Also, I always sit next to DD in the middle (as you said, they have to be in a window) so we've never been a bother to other passengers.
*actually getting you, the toddler, the carseat, the luggage, your carryons, etc. from your car to the airplane is a nightmare. If you have more than one adult, it isn't as bad - but I'd never take a car seat if I was the only adult. Been there, done that - ugh. I too did it when I was 38 weeks preggo with DD, so I can relate. Yep, it's a pain.
*almost no one takes car seats. Every time I've flown with kids, my kids are the only ones on the plane that have car seats. I have seen quite a few car seats on planes actually (I travel for business as well so tend to fly a bit). All of my IRL friends also travel w/ their car seats. I of course see as many lap babies.

Just my experience - I wanted to show the other side as well, for moms who may be on the fence about this issue. We've always had a very good experience with the car seats on planes. Granted, I usually fly with DH so that makes it easier. Alone is tough!

How many of your flights were international flights on not US carriers?
Old 04-02-2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
How many of your flights were international flights on not US carriers?
None, so that is definitely an area where I lack experience. I was simply sharing our experience with airline personnel and the actual plane logisitcs. Not sure what we would do if we flew overseas.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoablessing View Post
None, so that is definitely an area where I lack experience. I was simply sharing our experience with airline personnel and the actual plane logisitcs. Not sure what we would do if we flew overseas.
Believe me.... it is TOTALLY different on non US carriers. The OP was flying internationally.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Believe me.... it is TOTALLY different on non US carriers. The OP was flying internationally.
Yes, but mamatoablessing was responding to Kirsten who herself said that she never flew internationally.

We're taking a US carrier next week, so I'm not anticipating any trouble flying with our carseat. I'll report back.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiValleySteph View Post
Yes, but mamatoablessing was responding to Kirsten who herself said that she never flew internationally.
I thought she was responding to the OP. Sorry.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:03 PM

Australian carriers also recommend car seats for childen during flight.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:06 PM

: <-- see as "data" flying at me...

Wow! Thanks for all the numbers and such. Sincerely. It was really something to see OP's report on how her trip home went.

All the input has me back on the fence more so than before...
1st, I apologize to anyone who found my musings offensive, in my own pp.

K, with that said I'm hoping OP doesn't mind a minor hijacking; I don't know that yet another thread on this topic is nec, and hope to just get input from y'all here.

DD sleeps very well, now, in her car seat; if it's suggested that she try a car-nap she conks right out. I wasn't worried about the car-rental car-seat, but now I am. And OP's experience on her trip home made me think it might be best to just bring it... some other factors are that she'll be just over 2.5, it's a 45 min drive from home to the airport, this is DH's first time traveling further than 2 hours outta town, he does NOT deal with stress or hurrying well, nor fussy folk (be it me, dd, or flight attendants), and has a fear of flying, so will likely be medicated!... Departure is 8AM, arriving about 10-11, I think given the time change - Pacific NW to Hawaii, direct flight, but have to drive from airport to country side of the island Oahu, like 45 min, and we will be driving frequently while there for 5 days, in order to cook and clean for a friend who's due at that time.

To those of you who have no complaints about bringing the car seat, what kinda things did you do, or do you recommend to make it flow easier, etc?

For those of you for whom it's a pita not worth doing, what if it was easier to do? How did you deal with toddler-issues, did you experience turbulence, etc, with your toddler?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hi- don't mind hijaking at all. If I was you I would just take your seat. She's used to it, you know how to install it, you'll be assured it will make it there with you, etc. I'm going to buy a lightwt seat so I always have one with me when flying with DD until she's over 40lb.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moochie Mamma View Post
Hi- don't mind hijaking at all. If I was you I would just take your seat. She's used to it, you know how to install it, you'll be assured it will make it there with you, etc. I'm going to buy a lightwt seat so I always have one with me when flying with DD until she's over 40lb.
Hi moochie! Thanks! So interesting enough, dd just started complaining that her "back hurts" in her seat, and dh checked it tonight, and it seems to almost be coming apart, a plastic piece from underneath (flimsy, like a spacer or something) had come loose. (!?) And the styro-foam side under the upholstery had a break in it, so we're gonna be in the market for a new too... maybe you could point me in the right direction if you have already found one you like... or maybe I'll find one to point you to! Good luck! Looks like we're taking it!
Old 04-05-2007, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrennaMama View Post
To those of you who have no complaints about bringing the car seat, what kinda things did you do, or do you recommend to make it flow easier, etc?

We bring the stroller- carseat goes on stroller, dd goes on my back. We pre-board if possible and put the carseat in. Get a belt extender as you board. Makes installing and uninstalling the seat much easier.

good luck!

-Angela
Old 04-05-2007, 12:33 PM

there is a trick with the seat belt as well, is to turn it so the latch to undo it is backwards, so you can reach it and it doesn't get stuck in the car seat. I always use bungee cords or the latch attachment to attach the car seat to my stroller. Put the kid on me (sling or ergo) or sometimes even in the seat (it worked when he was older), pre-board, ask for help if needed, if just asking someone to hold the baby while you put the seat in. I rear faced my kid on airplanes till me was 1, and if the flight attendant gives you a hard time about that (sometimes people complain about not being able to recline) have them look up their own regulations. Make sure you are not in an exit aisle as well.

Oh, and ask for a seat belt extender, makes it easier.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrennaMama View Post
I posted earlier about the GoGoKidz attachment that we have for the carseat. DS likes to pull it around the airport while we hold the carryons. If he tires of pulling it, I just pile the carryons in the carseat.

Here is DS pulling his carseat at 20mo, I think, before a redeye flight (hence the PJs) from West Coast to East Coast. He slept the entire way, no problems. We didn't bother with the stroller on this trip.

I get the seatbelt extender as well from the flight attendent while boarding. Sometimes it takes them a while to get it, but it's worked out pretty well.

DH is in the process of rigging up a tray for DS for our 13 hour flight next week. You can't generally use the tray table with the carseat. He's using a wooden puzzle. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
We bring the stroller- carseat goes on stroller, dd goes on my back. We pre-board if possible and put the carseat in. Get a belt extender as you board. Makes installing and uninstalling the seat much easier.

good luck!

-Angela
Thanks! So it looks like I will totally get a belt extender...!

Quote:
there is a trick with the seat belt as well, is to turn it so the latch to undo it is backwards, so you can reach it and it doesn't get stuck in the car seat. I always use bungee cords or the latch attachment to attach the car seat to my stroller. Put the kid on me (sling or ergo) or sometimes even in the seat (it worked when he was older), pre-board, ask for help if needed, if just asking someone to hold the baby while you put the seat in. I rear faced my kid on airplanes till me was 1, and if the flight attendant gives you a hard time about that (sometimes people complain about not being able to recline) have them look up their own regulations. Make sure you are not in an exit aisle as well.

Oh, and ask for a seat belt extender, makes it easier.
Backpack/ergo, check! Belt extender, check, again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiValleySteph View Post
I posted earlier about the GoGoKidz attachment that we have for the carseat. DS likes to pull it around the airport while we hold the carryons. If he tires of pulling it, I just pile the carryons in the carseat.

Here is DS pulling his carseat at 20mo, I think, before a redeye flight (hence the PJs) from West Coast to East Coast. He slept the entire way, no problems. We didn't bother with the stroller on this trip.

I get the seatbelt extender as well from the flight attendent while boarding. Sometimes it takes them a while to get it, but it's worked out pretty well.

DH is in the process of rigging up a tray for DS for our 13 hour flight next week. You can't generally use the tray table with the carseat. He's using a wooden puzzle. I'll let you know how it turns out.
SIL is giong on a trip too, and we're looking at getting that GoGoKidz set-up to share; thanks, I'll check the link... totally cute pic!

Please do let me know about the tray situation as we're thinking of either trying to constrict one or buy something...
Old 04-23-2007, 03:55 PM

We're back! DS rode in his Roundabout for our int'l flights on United. No comments about the carseat either way from flight attendants. It worked well for us. On the "to" flight, DS slept only about 2 hours out of a 13 hour flight, but still sat in his carseat all except for about 30 min of walking around and bathroom trips. On the return, DS slept about 3 hours of a 10 hour flight. He did lay in my lap to nurse and to rest for about 30 min.

He's 2.5, by the way.

We also took some internal China flights. He had his own seat, but we didn't bring the carseat. He was sitting in his seat buckled in when we were about to descend on the first flight. The flight attendant asked me to hold him instead, I did. The 2nd flight I just held him the whole time.

We did make up a tray out of a wooden puzzle base. It worked reasonably well. It was just so cramped because the carseat doesn't recline and there isn't much room when the person in front reclines. DS was still able to use our makeshift tray for playdough, coloring, snacks, etc. By far, the thing he most wanted to do was watch DVDs on the portable DVD played (bought for this trip). He has quite limited TV at home, so this was a real treat for him.

I'm glad we used the carseat on this trip. I'm not sure how much longer we will keep using it, though, just because of the space issue. It was very cramped for him. We could barely get his legs between the carseat and the reclined seat in front. He didn't complain, though.

ETA - We did use a selt belt extender. Both times we were told to try it w/o it first. Umm... this isn't our first time travelling with the carseat.

User Tag List