Which is harder, dogs or kids? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2007, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Um, babies. The level of total responsibility for a human being with 24hour needs doesn't compare with having a dog at all. But I certainly do believe humans are superior to dogs by any measure that I find significant, and though we have pets whom we care for conscientiously, I don't consider them to be 'family members' let alone equivalent to my children.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccohenou View Post
Um, babies. The level of total responsibility for a human being with 24hour needs doesn't compare with having a dog at all. But I certainly do believe humans are superior to dogs by any measure that I find significant, and though we have pets whom we care for conscientiously, I don't consider them to be 'family members' let alone equivalent to my children.
ITA with this.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
Um, no it's not. Not remotely like having kids. I find that whole line of thinking offensive and a bit disturbing.
Huh. How weird. What part of it is disturbing and offensive?

I have three dogs, two of which are Jack Russells, and to anyone who knows the breed, I don't need to elaborate. But for those who don't, they are never ending balls of inquisitive energy. To say "oh yeah but you can crate them and leave them alone for a little while".. HAHAHAHA!! That's funny. Um, no you can't. This is NOT a breed that can simply be crated and left alone. Reliably. They need constant supervision, and to be left alone they need to be well fed, well exercised, well trained, and well stimulated.

My two jack russells are by far harder then having a child. When Rhino was an only Jack I wouldn't have thought so, but two of them.. oh my word!

I can communicate with my child now. I'll NEVER be able to communicate with my dogs. My daughter will eventually be potty trained. I will ALWAYS have to walk my dogs in the rain, both of them tangling me up and tripping me, in the middle of the night. Their life expectancy is 15 years. I'd rather change a diaper that takes all of 3 minutes, instead of walking down the side of the road in the pissing down rain until Rhino finds the "perfect spot" to have a dump, then get down with the flash light, find it, bag it, then carry it back while trying to manage two small, and FAST dogs on a leash while holding a bag of warm crap. Potty training with kids happens around what, 2? 3? Um, yeah, I have 12 years of poop patrol left. Sorry you're offended by that.

ETA: And, my daughter is high needs. Has slept a handful of times on her own, nurses every 2 hours still at a year old, always wants me with her, etc, and I STILL think my dogs are hard work. This is saying a lot about my dogs if I think they are harder then my baby.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:59 AM

After reading this thread, I'm sure glad I have cats. And only one child.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
Old 03-29-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
Huh. How weird. What part of it is disturbing and offensive?

I have three dogs, two of which are Jack Russells, and to anyone who knows the breed, I don't need to elaborate. But for those who don't, they are never ending balls of inquisitive energy. To say "oh yeah but you can crate them and leave them alone for a little while".. HAHAHAHA!! That's funny. Um, no you can't. This is NOT a breed that can simply be crated and left alone. Reliably. They need constant supervision, and to be left alone they need to be well fed, well exercised, well trained, and well stimulated.

My two jack russells are by far harder then having a child. When Rhino was an only Jack I wouldn't have thought so, but two of them.. oh my word!

I can communicate with my child now. I'll NEVER be able to communicate with my dogs. My daughter will eventually be potty trained. I will ALWAYS have to walk my dogs in the rain, both of them tangling me up and tripping me, in the middle of the night. Their life expectancy is 15 years. I'd rather change a diaper that takes all of 3 minutes, instead of walking down the side of the road in the pissing down rain until Rhino finds the "perfect spot" to have a dump, then get down with the flash light, find it, bag it, then carry it back while trying to manage two small, and FAST dogs on a leash while holding a bag of warm crap. Potty training with kids happens around what, 2? 3? Um, yeah, I have 12 years of poop patrol left. Sorry you're offended by that.

ETA: And, my daughter is high needs. Has slept a handful of times on her own, nurses every 2 hours still at a year old, always wants me with her, etc, and I STILL think my dogs are hard work. This is saying a lot about my dogs if I think they are harder then my baby.

Your post reminds me of earlier when I said that no one with older kids would say that dogs are harder than kids. They may be harder than your baby but wait until your baby gets older...no comparison.

Jen, former attorney and now SAHM to 11 yo ds and 8 yo ds

Old 03-29-2007, 04:40 PM

Wow, I must be doing something wrong, because I have two dogs and two kids, and there is just *no* comparison. Every day I go to lengths for my children that I would never tolerate for a pet.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
ITA. I thought I loved my cat til I had kids.
Word. But I say this to my friends who haven't had kids yet, but plan to--and who are big time cat people--and they look at me like "omg...she's actually satan, and we never knew." It's seriously like sacrilege to suggest to them that they will not always hold Fluffy in the same regard.

I found that I got (possibly too many) cats as a baby substitute. Now they are way lower on my totem poll. Of course I still feed them, love them, and put up with their infuriating antics, including a raging turf war at the moment. But they are nowhere NEAR as important. When I was pregnant I would stress about what I would do if I had to choose between the pets and my baby. What if she has horrible cat allergies, what if there's a fire...I cringe to think I ever thought it was an issue. My child wins, hands down, every time. Sorry, kitties.

The dog still holds a softer spot in my heart, but still NOTHING like the massive, flaming love and protectiveness for my daughter.

As for ease, phhhhbt. Wow. My dog has never once had a three alarm poop on my sweater at three am while running a fever and biting my nipples and trying to crawl off the end of the bed. We taught her all the commands she knows in less than a month and we can leave her for 8 hours with a water bowl and some toys.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:43 PM

Dogs are a total PIA but not nearly as much work as my kids.

My dogs are loved but they are just dogs and if push came to shove I could find them another loving home. My kids are human and will demand from me everything I have until the day I die and I could and would never give them up.

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

Old 04-02-2007, 12:55 AM

The question "which is harder, dogs or kids?" is ambiguous. If the question is who has greater needs, obviously, it's the kids. In that sense, kids are "harder."

If the question is "whose needs are more difficult to meet?" My answer is the dog's--thus dogs are "harder."

Everyone I would trust to care for my dogs, I would also trust to care for my kids. There are many people I trust with my kids, but I'd never leave my dogs in their care.

My mom is an excellent example. She's a fabulous grandmother. She takes great care of my kids. Her dog has only left his backyard chain a handful of times in the past decade. There's no way I'd ever ask her to care for my dogs.

I know so many people who have dogs who shouldn't (like my mom.) I know lots of people who parent differently than I do, but I wouldn't say that any of them shouldn't have had children.

What I'm saying is that its pretty easy to put the needs of a child in an appropriate place in the household heirarchy. Obviously, the kids deserve a high rank. It's much more difficult for some folks to provide appropriate care for a dog. Afterall, it's just a dog. :

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
Old 04-02-2007, 01:17 AM

Okay, I didn't read all six pages of posts.

Dogs never grow up. You always have to feed them. You always have to clean up after them. They never learn to bathe themselves.

I'm not a pet person, can you tell? My DP came with 3 dogs. It's been an adjustment.

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
Old 04-02-2007, 01:49 AM

A childless friend of mine, when DD was tiny and I was having a hard time getting schoolwork done, he tried to advise on the basis of his 11 years of cat ownership. I was not amused.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:26 AM

: <--- my response to the couple mentioned in the OP.

My dog can be put in her kennel when she misbehaves or is not associating well with visitors in our home. My dog can be sent to the vet's for a week if we are going on vacation and it would be too difficult to take her along. My dog feeds herself, all I have to do is set down the food and she eats it. My dog is potty trained, all I have to do is open the door and let her outside and she does her business. My dog listens consistently when I say "no," and generally does as she is told. When my dog is tired, she curls up on her bed and goes to sleep.

My son...well....let's see. When he is misbehaving or not dealing well with visitors in our home, we have to deal with the tantrum and misbehavior head on, we cannot simply lock him in his room for the duration of the visit or until the misbehavior ends. When we go on vacation, we cannot send my son to the pediatrician's office to be boarded for a week. My son cannot feed himself. My son is not potty trained. My son does not listen to "no" consistently, and he most certainly doesn't do as he is told all the time . When my son is tired, he cries/whines/is generally crabby and needs me to hold him and rock him down in a very specific environment, and must sleep with a special blanket in a dark room with white noise.

If my kid were as easy as my dog, I'd have had at least 2 more kids by now. LOL.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:48 PM

I stopped reading after a few pages, but just have this vision of nursing a puppy...

=
dogs & kids are equally, but differently destructive (dog ate mattress, kids broke window)
both have ways of taking over your bed

dog harder
can't bring on subway
health insurance not covered by work
shorter lifespan means grieving over dead dog likely every 1-2 decades if you always have one. that sucks.

kids harder
nurse all day as babes
can't be left home alone for at least a decade
colic, colic, colic

end comparison, really must get some things done!

mom to a 7 year old lego fanatic and a 5 year old cross dresser
Old 04-02-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkpmomtoboys View Post
Your post reminds me of earlier when I said that no one with older kids would say that dogs are harder than kids. They may be harder than your baby but wait until your baby gets older...no comparison.
Good point. So let me rephrase that... right NOW my dogS are harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamallama View Post
The question "which is harder, dogs or kids?" is ambiguous. If the question is who has greater needs, obviously, it's the kids. In that sense, kids are "harder."

If the question is "whose needs are more difficult to meet?" My answer is the dog's--thus dogs are "harder.":
Very well said. I guess in actuality there are certain aspects of each that are easier. And harder. And like you very clearly illustrated, the needs of each are very different, and very difficult to compare.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:41 PM

Ok, here's my comparison of my unruly Humane Society hound dog and my 6-month old twins:

Barfs on the floor: Both dog and both babies
Barfs on me: Dog (once), babies (often)

Knows where to go to the bathroom: Dog
Has gone to the bathroom on the floor: Both
Has gone to the bathroom on me: Babies

Whines: Both
Cries: Both (dog howls when babies cries)
Barks: Dog and son

Understands basic commands: Dog
Follows basic commands: None of them

It's a pretty close race but the babies outnumber me while the dog is a fair fight: babies are harder.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:09 AM

Crisstiana....
Old 04-03-2007, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Kids are much harder.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 

User Tag List