Walking in public? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-06-2003, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How old were your children when they started walking distances outside?

My dd is 14 months old and has recently decided that she would prefer to walk when we're out an about. She has always been a sling rider who refused a stroller at anything but breakneck speed. So, when she asks to get down and walk, I set her down, hold her hand, and off we go.

The problem is that I am growing tired of the criticism. Every day, I hear something, usually from a tourist, about "dragging that tiny baby around." Dd is fairly small, but she LOVES our walks. I always have the sling for when she gets tired and she tells me when she is done.

I've also had other moms tell me that I shouldn't let her "get in the habit" of walking places in case I need to restrain her. Usually, when I hear that phrase, I ignore the advice. But, safety is an issue. I do hold her hand and we are working on stopping at all curbs and looking (OK, she stops, I look).

Is it really so unusual for a 14 month to walk in public? Am I just being too sensitive?
#2 of 10 Old 06-06-2003, 02:53 PM

My first dd started walking at 9 1/2 months, she was competent enough at about 12 months to be walking with us on our walks. She started just walking a few block but it seemed in no time at all she was walking 10 blocks+ no problem. She wasnt into hand holding she just walked beside or followed us.

We never had any negative feed back about her walking so far or so early. Most where amazed that she could walk so far and then go home and play like she never gone for a long walk.

So cute to see a little one walking
#3 of 10 Old 06-06-2003, 02:54 PM

My little guy walks all the time. I do hold his hand and someitmes his big brother likes to hold his other hand. He does like riding in the stroller, too. He usually rides in the stroller when I am walking for exercise. Ignore other people and do what is best for you and your babe. Why would safety be an issue if you are with your babe?
#4 of 10 Old 06-06-2003, 05:05 PM

Sheesh, what is wrong with "other" people (translation of "other" - anyone who doesn't think like me, tee hee )??? If the child is happy walking and there is no threat to her safety, then why not let her walk? Having a sling or stroller handy in case she gets tired is important on longer walks (of course you could just carry her in your arms, too), but I don't get what the big deal is. God, everywhere you go, someone has an opinon...:
#5 of 10 Old 06-06-2003, 05:37 PM

I can't believe people are actually saying those things to you!

My kids were walking when we were out and about by the time they hit a year. Earlier, in fact (DD was 11 months, DS 10, when they started wanting down while we were out). It may just have been that both of my kids are big (DD is very tall for her age, DS is just big) and they have always been mistaken for being much older than they actually are (people would assume they were about 2).

She "shouldn't get in the habit?" What, like they don't walk? Wouldn't you rather she be in the habit of walking than used to being ferried everywhere? To an especially b*tchy person I think I'd say something to the effect of gee, you should go back to your car, you might get USED to being out in the open and what would happen when you had to go HOME?! It is roughly equivalent - why spend all that time unhappy just so that you are "used" to it later, when it may be important for what, a couple of minutes? Like there's an issue anyway?

I don't even know what I'd say to those tourists. I'd probably give them a look to melt metal, though. Aside from it being none of their darned business, what on earth would they prefer? You staying at home all day with her in the baby bouncer? Probably. These aren't the people you want to listen to, anyway. I'm thinking, what, were they soap-opera queens when they had their kids? Suuure, that's soooo much better. ARGH.

OK, sorry, I'm PMSing. Life sucks. I'm mean. Sorry.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#6 of 10 Old 06-06-2003, 06:29 PM

Garsh! What is with people? Tell them you are training her to be a sherpa for your next expedition to Everest. Stupid people. Can you tell I'm PMSing too?

Denny
#7 of 10 Old 06-06-2003, 06:57 PM

People are criticizing you for letting your child walk?

Maybe they should check out the stroller thread

My 5 year old has been walking out of the stroller or my arms since that age. he would have none of it, kwim? screw them.
#8 of 10 Old 06-06-2003, 07:36 PM

Restrain them?????

I figure I give my pixie a chance whenever he wants to burn some of his energy off! If that means slowly walking holding his hands down the street and stopping to investigate E V E R Y T H I N G and everybody along the way...so be it!

What is wrong with people??!!??!?!?!?!?

Your daughter sounds like she is perfectly happy. Tell those tourists to get back in their cars and drive home. Sheesh.:
#9 of 10 Old 06-06-2003, 08:48 PM

I agree with the others - that's insane that people feed you that crap!!

You do what makes you and your DD happy and to h*ll with the naysayers. What is it with people who feel the need to butt in like that?

I love denny's sherpa reply - that's a great one, lol!

edited to add: I've been practising a "comeback" for just such an occaison, although so far I haven't had to use it. I give my best rolled eyes face and say "You've got to be kidding; who told you *that*?".

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#10 of 10 Old 06-07-2003, 04:11 AM

My DS is 16 months and has been walking since 11 months. He would much rather walk because he likes to explore.

I get mixed reactions, some people think he is too little to walk by himself and others think he is just cute.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page