Pica? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-06-2003, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#2 of 8 Old 06-06-2003, 11:34 PM

It was very normal for my son to put EVERYTHING into his mouth too. Only recently has it gotten better (ds is now 17 months), but I still have to watch him because he will still try to do it once in a while (like 4-8 times an hour when we are outside exploring). It used to be literally every single thing he picked up....constantly....rocks, sticks, leaves, trash (eeewwww!), plants, you name it. He still will try to eat sand and dirt at least a few times while playing, but not very much compared to the insanity I was living a few months ago.

I think it is a normal way to explore their environment.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#3 of 8 Old 06-07-2003, 12:04 AM

Yes, a child can have Pica. With one so little it's hard to tell if he's just exploring through his mouth, or if he really has a craving. If it were me, I woudl do some research on Pica via the internet and bring it up with the ped and see what they thought. Pica is usually caused by some sort of deficiency, so if that's the case you really want to asddress it.
#4 of 8 Old 06-07-2003, 12:34 AM

I've got a little "eater" too. She eats anything and everything she can fit into her mouth!

One thing that my Chiropractor said that makes sense is this: Babies are constantly learning about their surroundings, especially as they become mobile and can check things out on their own. And for a baby to really learn about his surroundings he uses all of his senses. What does it feel/smell/look/sound & *of course* taste like? Example: Cecelia finds a small stone that is different from anything she has ever seen before. She examines it with her hands and eyes and since she doesn't know what a rock tastes like, she puts it in her mouth. Yes, it's disturbing to me and I promptly remove it from her mouth and tell her we don't eat rocks, but I try to remember it's all just part of the learning process. I give her plenty of things that she can mouth at home and watch her like a hawk when we are elsewhere. She has eaten dirt, grass, string, crumbs and other things I haven't caught in time, but I keep her away from things that are toxic and do my best to intercept things that are choking hazards. Short of keeping her in a bubble, there's not much more I can do - just wait for the stage to pass.

If I were you I would bring it up to your Pediatrician, but if yours is like mine, she will tell you it's perfectly normal. I think for it to truely be Pica, your son would have to *crave* the things and it seems unlikely to me that an 11-month old would *crave* anything, kwim?
#5 of 8 Old 06-08-2003, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#6 of 8 Old 06-09-2003, 12:42 PM

My youngest dd's first solid food was a maple leaf. Her second "meal" was a library book mark. Not exactly what I had planned: .
It sounds like you are reassured.

Some friends and I were talking one evening about the grossest (is that a word) thing our dd's have ever eaten.

*******WARNING SOME GROSS THINGS COMING UP**********

My dd, now age 17, at crawling age, ate a steaming fresh dog turd as I lunged for her, too late.....

I came home from work one day, when dd, now age 8 was just starting to crawl to find my stupid dog had been in the bathroom trash and had strewn used feminine hygiene products about the house. Ughh. I sat the baby down and went to get a bag in which to bag the peices all up. 2.5 seconds later she had a peice of bloody fluff in her mouth, when there wasn't a bit near her anywhere 2.5 seconds ago. Luckily (I guess) it was bloody fluff from me, but ewwww!!!)

My cat had dragged a little birdie in the house one summer day when my dd#3, now age 3, then crawling age, into the house and tore it asunder. (kitty now has a bell.) Yep, you guessed it. I turned in horror to see the poor little gravely wounded bird flappy uselessly about my living room. Sat the baby down and hollared for big sister to come watch her while I tried to catch the poor bird (to do what with it???) Sister saunters out to the living room to find baby EATING A PIECE OF DYING BLOODY BIRD PART!!!!!!!EWWWWWWW!!!!!!!

That was fun, but I hijacked your thread.... sorry....
#7 of 8 Old 06-09-2003, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lotusdebi
Can babies or toddlers have pica? Pica is an abnormal craving or appetite for nonfood substances, like dirt or clay.
I'm wondering, because I've heard it mentioned twice today in reference to my son. He eats dirt, sand, woodchips, leaves, plants - whatever he can get his hands on! He's almost 11 months old. This isn't something new. Trying to keep these things out of his mouth is very frustrating (and painful - he bites hard!), so I sometimes just let him chew on whatever he has. Should I be worried that he has pica? Should I be talking to his pediatrician? Or is this totally normal for a child his age? I wasn't at all concerned about this until today. First, a mom from playgroup mentioned it. Then, tonite, my mom mentioned it. She's really worried. Should I be worried, too?
My son has PICA and has since he was about 12 months old. He eats all the things you mentioned. Several times we have had to go to the pediatrician for rocks and gravel he has eaten. He is obsessed with sand and will gobble it up like its great. He has also eaten other non-food items. I have called poison control 8 times and yesterday I spent 4 hours in the emergency room because of something he ate. Definitely have the medicine to induce vomiting and poison controls number on hand.
#8 of 8 Old 06-09-2003, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AnnaReilly
I've got a little "eater" too. She eats anything and everything she can fit into her mouth!

One thing that my Chiropractor said that makes sense is this: Babies are constantly learning about their surroundings, especially as they become mobile and can check things out on their own. And for a baby to really learn about his surroundings he uses all of his senses. What does it feel/smell/look/sound & *of course* taste like? Example: Cecelia finds a small stone that is different from anything she has ever seen before. She examines it with her hands and eyes and since she doesn't know what a rock tastes like, she puts it in her mouth. Yes, it's disturbing to me and I promptly remove it from her mouth and tell her we don't eat rocks, but I try to remember it's all just part of the learning process. I give her plenty of things that she can mouth at home and watch her like a hawk when we are elsewhere. She has eaten dirt, grass, string, crumbs and other things I haven't caught in time, but I keep her away from things that are toxic and do my best to intercept things that are choking hazards. Short of keeping her in a bubble, there's not much more I can do - just wait for the stage to pass.

If I were you I would bring it up to your Pediatrician, but if yours is like mine, she will tell you it's perfectly normal. I think for it to truely be Pica, your son would have to *crave* the things and it seems unlikely to me that an 11-month old would *crave* anything, kwim?
My son was about a year when I noticed his desire and almost obsession with eating dirt, gravel, wood chips, etc. Yes, they can crave it.

Kim

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page