Baby Einstein - RANT - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2003, 01:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Clarity
they sell toys now??? Missed that completely. The ones I had seen used other company's toys...
They have a whole website that has toys and cd's and books from the baby einstein series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2003, 01:31 AM

I feel like I've missed out on some quality "me" time. I tried them once when my son was little and he just crawled away. He's now 2 and still has never seen any videos, etc. We do watch the news but never have the volume on. I have always just hated the idea of him sitting passively and watching, but it sure is tempting. I do have to respect those of you who are able to have breathing space while their kiddos enjoy it!
Old 06-08-2003, 03:26 AM

Location: In the Central Valley, dreaming of my home by the bay..
DD watches them often with DH, or when I am cooking lunch. She enjoys them. We have Mozart and Bach. She laughs, and watches intently. But I can honestly say I don't believe that TV is the devil either, and mine is usually on all day, for noise if nothing else. We have Disney Channel or Noggin on most of the morning. We are not necessarily watching it, but it's in the background.

SpiralScoutin' Homeschoolin' Mama to Michael, Citizen of Portlandia, age 21, Danielle, Artist in Residence, Age 9 & Jack-Jack, Minecraft Maniac, Age 6
Old 06-08-2003, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Spookygirl
But I can honestly say I don't believe that TV is the devil either, and mine is usually on all day, for noise if nothing else. We have Disney Channel or Noggin on most of the morning. We are not necessarily watching it, but it's in the background.
Same here, Spookygirl!

I wanted the Baby Einstein videos for DD so badly this past Christmas. Sadly, I did kinda buy into the "make your baby smarter" thing. Thank God I've wised up!

That said, DD has rarely watched them. Some of the little segments hold her interest, but a lot of them don't, so she goes back to playing with her toys. I actually just used them the other day to buy me some time to get a much needed snack.

FWIW, I find the language one kinda boring, but mildly informative to DH and me. DD isn't into it AT ALL.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:27 AM

I saw the Baby Einstein videos at my sister's house before dd was born and it seemed to me that the point of the video was to mesmerize and put a kid into a trance. I don't see how that could have any educational value.: Especially when a baby or toddler needs to bring multiple senses into the learning situation. I think it is all marketing to the parent without any real substance for the child. Of course most TV is this way. Dd is VERY high-needs and still at 16 months has to have me right next to her to nap & sleep at night, but now she does play well by herself. I used to have to sling her to get anything done. I think if I'd put her in front of these videos it would have shortened her attention span and now we'd both be in a worse situation. Just my opinion.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:49 AM

We own 3 of them that dd still enjoys every so often. When she had gas/colic at around 4 mos. old the Baby Mozart tape was the *only* thing that calmed her down long enough to stop crying. I sat down and watched them with her. She loves the Baby Dolittle Neighborhood Animals one with the antics of the animals.

These videos/DVD's were made by a SAHM who didn't want to leave her children to work outside. She borrowed equipment and shipped the videos out of her garage for awhile, and finally sold it to Disney when it got too large for her to handle. The original videos are a lot better than the ones that Disney did after they took over.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 06-08-2003, 12:32 PM

I also hated the fact that the music is not the real thing! (we have watched them quite a few times though.) The music-as-brainfood theory isn't just about the melody; it is the whole package of different instrumental sounds, ranges and dynamics.
There is a series of videos called Brainy Baby that are similar to baby einstein and they do have real orchestral music. There is also a video we have enjoyed called Mozart Nature Symphonies with great music and animal scenes.
Some good educational videos are the Bilingual Baby language series (basic, but a good introduction) and a sign language video called Talking Hands.
Old 06-08-2003, 12:40 PM

can i buy yours? we love them only want dvd's
Old 06-08-2003, 12:40 PM

can i buy yours? we love them only want dvd's
Old 06-08-2003, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I can't imagine an older child liking them.
All kids are different.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:23 AM

I like the animal videos, as well as Van Gogh .. .. but Shakespeare is my favorite! Very calming . . . . . . DD is 14 months old and loves them almost as much as Raffi.

Andrea
mommy to Greta 3/14/02
Old 06-09-2003, 01:07 AM

It seems like they are a great thing to put most kids in front of so they will keep quiet.

That said I'm not a fan. I think I have seen the animal one and it didn't seem to have much real animals in it. Watch a PBS/National Geographic animal program. I agrree with all of the negative comments on the music. I would like to see proof that these videos are actually intelectually stimulating and do lead to brighter kids.

The evidence is that kids who listen to classical music turn out 'brighter'. But one of the reasons why classical music is helpful is the complexity of it when compared to the simplicity and repetitiveness or other music. So it seems to me that when you take all the complexity out of the music and show 'simple' pictures on the screen you are actually defeating the original purpose. Don't you think? Just my opinion.

I'll repeat, it seems to be good for keeping kids passive and quiet.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:14 AM

Quote:
. I think I have seen the animal one and it didn't seem to have much real animals in it. Watch a PBS/National Geographic animal program.
Very interesting you say that. The creator made the animal videos so that they are all "in their element" and not in say the circus performing. She wanted them to be in nature and not caged up at all. I liked that about those videos since I abhor the circus.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:01 PM

We have Baby Shakespeare and Baby Doolittle and Mallory (18 months) loves both of them. She watches them on Saturday/Sunday mornings while I clean the kitchen.

I certainly don't think that she'll become a genius because she's watched Baby Einstein DVDs. It's just entertainment. Sometimes she does seem a bit mesmerized, but usually she watches as she's playing with her toys. She has a few favorite scenes that provoke screams of joy and laughter. And she recognizes the poetry from Shakespeare when I quote it back to her. (Yes, the same effect could have been achieved if I'd read poetry to her myself.)

I like the animal scenes from Doolittle. They're short, sure, but they do show the animals in their natural habitat. And I think there are shots in the giraffe, elephant, and monkey segments with mama and baby animals snuggling together, which is sweet.

All the marketing bugs me a little. We have a couple of the board books. Mallory loves these too but I've gotta say the writing is not that great. (I think Julie Clark wrote them.) In one she rhymes "lizards" with "little birds." Ick! We also have two puppets--the dragon and the goat--and Mallory demands a puppet show from my husband the instant she wakes up every morning. So yeah, we caved to some marketing pressure, but it's amusing my kid, so I'm okay with that.

And I'd much rather listen to a music box orchestra than to Barney songs or the Teletubbies saying "eh-o" five thousand times.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:39 PM

DD and DS have never watched TV, ever. My principle concern is that it's hard enough to develop a strong bond with two babies at once, much less if I start putting them in front of a big mechanical box every day while I clean up in the kitchen.

But I have to say that I get the allure of these videos. I have been tempted to turn on Sesame Street or something like that from time to time, and I totally understand why busy moms love Baby Einstein, Mozart, etc. etc. I don't think they're categorically bad, just not for us at this time.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:30 PM

My MIL gave us some of these videos as a gift when DS was born and I almost sold em on Ebay. Turned out to be glad I hadn't. DS is pretty freakin' high needs, and there was a phase during which he'd actually sit in the swing and watch a video for 15 whole entire minutes, and believe me, those minutes were more precious than gold.

He hated that weird CGI clown on Baby Newton, though... and there's another one with some toy robots which always made him cry, too.

We usually turned the sound off and put our own music on. Not that the music I tended to choose was probably brain-stimulating or anything, but it didn't grate on the nerves of the adults present.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:57 PM

Well, Goo likes to bawk at the chickens and such, and she likes the dragon puppet, but she has just as much fun when we go to the library and play with the puppets!

I guess this is a personal thing. She doesn't mind the music, but I am not thrilled with it.

User Tag List