4 year olds in strollers - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 197 Old 05-20-2007, 01:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyPants View Post

Maybe use internet delivery and order your groceries?
I don't know how good they are though.
When money isn't super tight, I actually do that! But you can't use coupons, so I only do it when I get a code for free delivery.
#182 of 197 Old 05-20-2007, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliesMomma View Post
just a quick question: we've been to the mall a few times recently, and i keep seeing kids 3-4 years old or more being pushed around in strollers. they all look like healthy kids who can walk. not to be a b*t*h, but what's up with that? is this a way for parents to keep their kids "contained"? are the kids too lazy to walk?
I haven't read your whole thread. In fact I only read a couple of posts but, yes, my 3.5 yo is too "lazy" to walk. Or put another way, he is extremely strong willed. Seriously, this kid has me beat. If I'd only had my ds1, then the phenomenon of older tots in a stroller would be puzzling to me too.

Our walks were becoming punishments for me involving picking ds2 up and carrying him home as he pulled my hair- and I like to walk. A few weeks ago, my neighbors had a garage sale and sold me their stroller for $5. When I brought it home ds2 jumped into it and buckled himself in. He was delighted with it. We start out walking places and he eventually climbs in the stroller.

So I have a 3.5 yo in a stroller.

Also I do use it for containment. We do talk about car safety and what to do (walk on the sidewalk). However, if he won't stay on the sidewalk, he gets buckled in. Walking into the street just isn't negotiable for me.
#183 of 197 Old 05-20-2007, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliesMomma View Post
just a quick question: we've been to the mall a few times recently, and i keep seeing kids 3-4 years old or more being pushed around in strollers. they all look like healthy kids who can walk. not to be a b*t*h, but what's up with that? is this a way for parents to keep their kids "contained"? are the kids too lazy to walk?

I didn't read all the pages yet I don't see a problem with that, little kids have little legs that get tired especially walking around a mall. I had mono when I was 8 years old, we went to disney for my birthday and my mom pushed me in a stroller Also all kids that look perfectly heathy aren't all the time. I had to open mouth and insert foot one time at the park, I was talking to another mama and commenting on how cute her son was. I asked her " Is he close to one also" (my dd was 10 months at the time, they looked the same age), and she then told me he was 3 years old (he was born at 25 weeks gest. and suffered from cp) I would have never known.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#184 of 197 Old 05-20-2007, 01:44 AM

Jumping in here...
I also didnt read ALL the pages (hey, you guys posted 183 messages when I wasnt looking )
I just got really interested b/c my just-turned 4yo DD rarely walks.
I actually find it disturbing, because I am a self-confessed anti-stroller-snob... though I do try to keep an open mind and assume that the multitude of strollers contain kids who really want to be there, are tired of walking and have parents who cant carry them for whatever reason...

Anyway, DD rarely walks, sometimes we get less than 100M before she flops on the ground and declares that her legs hurt and she cant walk any more. Honestly, we cant find anything physically wrong with her, she just doesnt like walking (though if its a game she can run till the cows come home )
So I sling her most of the time, in a home-made wrap on my back. it works well, and she can sleep in there, but lets be honest, shes a 4-year-old, and I'm only human! after an hour's walk, I'm BEAT!, and sometimes find myself wishing for a stroller. Of course, I didnt bring one, because I'm a stroller snob.
So maybe all those mamas I see in the malls pushing their kids were smarter than me, as I stumble on sweating and lugging a big kid on my back and a bunch of groceries

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#185 of 197 Old 05-20-2007, 01:50 AM

Dunno if anyone brought this up, but I have a BIGGGGGGG 2 y/o- he's about 37-38 inches and 34 lbs- he LOOKS 3 or 4- people always tell me that. YES, I get weird looks having him in a stroller. My husband is deployed and I can only sling one child (the both of them are 57 lbs together and that's 1/2 my weight about). Usually DS walks, but sometimes it's easier on me to push him in the stroller.
#186 of 197 Old 05-20-2007, 02:00 AM

If my child (at any age0 wants to ride in her stroller and if *I* don't mind pushing, then who should care?

Just another wa women divide themselvess from each other. The mplication in this thrread being that mothers who push their older children in strollers are "push-overs."
#187 of 197 Old 05-20-2007, 02:02 AM

I have a 2 yr old who's on the large size for her age. (actually, she only like 23 months).

Anyhow, I just got a jogging stroller for her. Yes, I make her ride in it in stores, as I have stuff I have to get done, and she tends to run off. (or I get a cart & make her ride there). If I have time, which I usually don't, I let her walk until she refuses to hold my hand any longer. Then it's back in the cart/stroller. I do ahve toys & stuff to try to keep her happy.

I didn't know about baby wearing, other than snugglis, which I don't much like, until she was 16 months old. I do have a mei tai, but I can't carry her in it for long enough for shopping. I wish I could.

I did taking her hiking with friends today. It was long, like 1 1/2 hrs, nad steep hills etc. She walked almost the entire way. Her 2 1/2 yr old friend walked some, rode some. And the 3 yr old that was also with us got tired & rode in my daughter's stroller.

Now my daughter did cooperate & hold hands with someone the whole way we were walking. (most of the way, there were steep drop offs. Not safe unless someone was holding tightly on to her.

I also insist she ride on busy streets. When she gets better about holding my hand in stores, we'll revisit that one. The only reason she got out on the hiking trail is there were lots of people, so no problem having someone else push the stroller or taker her hand so I wasn't trying to do both.

I use to carry her & push the stroller/cart in stores whenever she got restless, but besides that she doesn't like that any better than being ing the stroller or cart, she is just to big for me to do that, now.
#188 of 197 Old 05-20-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Not an option in every area. I can't even get someone to deliver a pizza out here - they would laugh in my face if I tried to order groceries!
#189 of 197 Old 05-20-2007, 09:26 AM

I thought of this thread as I wheeled my 4.5 year old 10 blocks to a late dinner. She was too tired and desperate to walk, and instead of having a hungry, tired, melted down kid at dinner I got a hungry, tired kid who felt taken care of and was a delight with her little sleepy eyes. We noticed (it's been awhile since we used it) that she is outgrowing the stroller. Until she does I am hanging on to it. City life with a little one means a lot of walking. Little kids get tired. I do still use a carrier (dd is petite, 34 pounds), and I have carried her home 15 blocks uphill before when she fell asleep on the train, but I'm damn glad to have an umbrella stroller to whip out when it's needed!
#190 of 197 Old 05-20-2007, 09:36 AM

Internet delivery? Talk about exxpesnive.

I have a better idea.

How about those who choose not to use strollers with their sleepy, tired kids, don't. And instead of worrying about other parents who do, worry about yourself and issues you need to work on.

And for those os us who see the benefit of using strollers and how they give relief to tired legs, let's keep on using them.
#191 of 197 Old 05-20-2007, 09:38 AM

Not to mention tired parent backs! I needed a massage after that 15 block trek home with a 34 pound kid sleeping on my shoulder!
#192 of 197 Old 05-20-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper44 View Post
But what really irks me is when I see a healthy (looking), loud and active preschooler being forced into a stroller by parents. I try not to be too judgmental when I don't know anything about the family, but it seems like so many parents force their children into a stroller just so they don't have to deal with them. I see the kid whining and throwing a fit because they don't want to be strapped in. Shouldn't it be a parent's job to take the time to teach their child how to behave in a store? To teach them how to walk by their side and encourage their natural curiosity? I hate it when I see parents using a stroller as a cop out. They just put them in and push them along rather than taking the time to teach them how to behave. It seems to me that's what the OP of this thread was trying to get at...and I agree.
I just read this again.

Part of the teaching process is "You're not being safe/following rules right now so you WILL ride in the stroller/cart. When you're ready to be safe/follow rules you can get out." What's wrong with that? My kids DID learn but it took time. My kids may have objected to getting in the stroller/cart sometimes but they always settled down after 30 seconds and had a good time. I used lots of postive reinforcement too. There was no shaming or harsh words.

Now if somone NEVER lets their child try walking, that could be a problem, but that's not what I'm reading here.
#193 of 197 Old 05-20-2007, 11:16 AM

Yep, also when my DS was about 3.5 (and looked 5!) he would get really tired when we were out. And when he got tired, he got defiant.
If you had seen me say to him "Get in the stroller. Now." after he punched me in the leg for not buying him the ice cream he suddenly wanted, then ran off, you would have thought I was a horrible mommy. If you saw me 1/2 a block away, pushing a stroller with a blissfully sleeping kid in there, it probably would not have bothered you in the least.
#194 of 197 Old 05-20-2007, 11:24 AM

I take a stroller fitness class with both DS's. It's about 1 1/2 miles. DS#1 is free to get out and run/jog/do the resistance band training or other strength work with me when he wants, and then get back in the stroller if he gets tired (he likes to save his energy for the 2 hours we then spend on the playground or in the play space at the mall).

We also live on a very busy street, but are trying our best to walk whenever we can, so if we're going for a walk I sometimes ask him to ride in the buggy until we get a block down, to where there are sidewalks.

And, sometimes if we've had a long day out, he's just tired!
#195 of 197 Old 05-20-2007, 11:31 AM

Wow, I've only read the very first post and I don't have time to read through the pages and pages of replies, but with all due respect to the OP, mind your own business. Geez, why do you care if someone is pushing their kid in a stroller? My son is 4 yrs old and he still occassionally rides in a stroller because his little legs DO GET TIRED.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#196 of 197 Old 05-21-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyPants View Post

Expensive, not available everywhere (definately not here!), and some of us like to read our lables and comparison shop before we buy.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#197 of 197 Old 05-21-2007, 04:16 PM

So, Saturday I took the 3 kids to the BUSY zoo. I took the stroller. I told my mom and her comment was "You know, Mackie can walk"

Uh, really? I didn't know that. *insert eyeroll*

Hmmm, crowded crowded place, with a runner (6yr old). Hmm, I don't think I'm going to trust that I can hang onto all 3 kids with my hands alone. I was greatful for the stroller. especially at the end when my 6yr old had a melt down and refused to walk with us and kept bolting.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page