how soon, after your normal birth, did your healthy baby nurse? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-12-2003, 02:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SB3, I'll see if I can add to this. Breastfeeding advocates are trying to get away from the public idea that breastfeeding is "best," and "special."

It is being stressed that breastfeeding is the norm, and artifical baby milk is abnormal and/or hazardous.

So many mothers feel, "well, breastmilk is 'best,' " but then feel like, "well, I don't have the time/energy/patience for it, formula is what most people do, it's 'good enough.' "

ABM is seen as the norm, breastmilk as a bonus, like an extra fancy high chair, or the best preschool in town.

I can see, tho, this wasn't your question at all! You were asking, is breastmilk always perfect nutrition, no matter the nutritional status of the mother? Yes, and even in cases of a slight lessening of quality if the mother is actually starving, of course, ABM still isn't even in the ball park.

Excess caffeine or nicotine intake can get into the milk and cause lower supply and a restless fussy baby, in some, not all cases. My mom smoked a pack a day, and bfed me as an infant, yet was thrilled with what a great sleeper I was. And I was calm when awake too.

MY sister was restless and fussy, but who knows if it was the nicotine? She also got bronchitis every winter from all the cig smoke in the house, but I didn't! Poor little kid.

Lifesabeach--sorry for your anguish over your relatives. so sad. Just to reassure you a bit, I have quite a few in-laws in similar situations, with several kids each. Many of these kids are growing up to be wonderful! Do the best you can to support them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2003, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone!

I understand the breast is norm/not special thing. And I also appreciate SB3's coments and encourgement.

I talked to them this morning and this afternoon and between that time he nursed 25 min on each side. He has bruising on the side of his head from the delivery. He sleeps a lot,(duh). ANyway, I'm very pleased to hear the change in tone today. Relieved actually. I worried about her smoking and extracirricular activites~whether they return or not once she's off probabtion and has to pee in a cup at the drop of a hat..but (long sentence, sorry) I've heard/read that bm can be the saving grace to a babe who is exposed to second hand smoke. Funny how in most circumstances our bm is sufficient regardless of our poor condition. I just think God is a great designer.

We are going up next week and I'm gonna make them a weeks worth of meals and stick them in their freezer. I'm praying that I can keep my unsolicited advice to myself.:
Old 06-12-2003, 10:39 AM

I had a completley intervention and medication free labour (not even internals), and it was fairly quick (5 hours of active labour after waters breaking). DD sort of licked and nuzzled fairly quickly, and I tried a number of times more to feed her in the next 24 hours with little success but I can tell you right now that the first time that she WANTED to nurse was 29 hours after the birth. That was the start of 4 months of hell that were all worth it for our now wonderful nursing relationship... I had read that unmedicated babies came out alert and wanting to nurse, she came out, had a quick look around and then wanted to snuggle in and sleep for a day. I found this distressing and confusing at the time because I was so anxious to feed her properly. I will know better if it happens again next time.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I can see, tho, this wasn't your question at all! You were asking, is breastmilk always perfect nutrition, no matter the nutritional status of the mother?
Darylll...thanks so much for answering my question!
Thats really what i was getting at....

Aunt Jennifer....how awesome of you to cook them a weeks worth of meals! Food=love in our house, and this could be a way to open up the floor for questions, so to speak. eating good food, made with love might make your relatives more comfortable, its non confrontational and i bet you she'll love it!

good luck! take pictures!
Old 06-13-2003, 01:15 AM

I had no drugs with either of my kids. DD nursed almost as soon as she was out and ds didn't nurse for about 6 hours. He was much bigger and the nurse actually told me that bigger babies are lazier and that is why he wouldn't nurse right away and why he had trouble learning to latch on properly.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Akayasmama
the nurse actually told me that bigger babies are lazier and that is why he wouldn't nurse right away and why he had trouble learning to latch on properly.

!!!! the things nurses say! Not true! Hypotonic babies, floppy "ragdoll" babies, may have more trouble latching b/c of low muscle tone. I once knew a 14 pound newborn, (born vag BTW) who was like this. OTOH, hypertonic, or tense babies, may also be archy and have trouble latching. But to make a generalization about size like that is just irresponsible.
Old 06-13-2003, 04:20 PM

b'h

i put dd to my breast as she was born. she didn't really nurse though...but she did nurse pretty soon thereafter
Old 06-14-2003, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I was very fortunate.

My four, born at home, all nursed within minutes of delivery, before the cord was even cut.

I thank G-d for this blessing, and I take the credit where it is due to me also.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 06-14-2003, 06:16 PM

Dd1 - born in hospital - I tried to nurse her right away but she wasn't too interested. Nurses had to help us a lot to get her to latch on but once she did, she was fine. She nursed a few times in the hospital.

Dd2 - born in freestanding birth center - crawled up and nursed of her own volition I swear a minute after birth.

Dd3 - born Sunday at home We tried at about an hour old but she wasn't interested. Actually did not nurse for about 36 hours. I was starting to worry. Midwife helped us at home visit check up. She has nursed lots of times since then but it is a hassle to get her to latch on each and every time. She is figuring it out but I didn't expect it to be so hard when dd1 went fairly well and dd2 was sooooo easy. I guess it is the individual baby showing through. I thought that just because I knew what I was doing that it would be easy. Wrong...

Kirsten
Old 06-14-2003, 06:48 PM

I guess I have lucked out with all of my children being born at home and being hungry and alert enough to latch on and nurse almost immediately.

Obviously reading this thread, there are large ranges for normal babies to decide to nurse.

Everything in its own time.

User Tag List