how soon, after your normal birth, did your healthy baby nurse? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-10-2003, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BIL and gf just had ds #1 at 5pm and 2.5 hrs later he still had not nursed. I know she had an epidural and this can cause laziness, but he's wide awake...or so they say.

anyway, i'm concerned ( a lot of background here, both are recovering addicts/alcoholics since Sept) and I've never had a medicated birth and all of my children latched on immediately after birth...so i'm pretty ignorant when it comes to problems.

so, how bout you?

~Jennifer~

raising 4 incredible boys with an equally awesome dh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2003, 01:00 AM

shosh was born at 11:28 pm, but didn't nurse that night/morning or even the next afternoon. we were both pretty damn tired after 21 hours of contractions that were 3 minutes or less apart!
from everything i read, the baby doesn't NEED to eat for close to 24 hours after birth.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:01 AM

Well, I had one unmedicated birth, two epidurals, one of those epidurals i had pitocin. All my babies were excellent nursers, real champs! I immediately had them at my breast (except for #2, meconium, but less than 5 minutes later he was at the breast), and all three lached on without difficulty, and stayed there for several hours...i went breast to breast.
you might want to define "normal" for clarity.

It might not be the epidural. i heard some babies dont eat for quite a while after birth.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:11 AM

was baby heavily/forcefully suctioned? as a doula I have seen a baby not want to nurse for that reason. their throat is sore.

just a thought.

-Lau
Old 06-10-2003, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

when i said normal i meant vaginal/full term. of course my idea of normal is at home and unmedicated, lol.

he has a forceps mark on his face where they drug him out...i mean lovingly delivered him...he was a little sideways. poor guy. of course, if he could survive the gf smoking meth and drinking during the first 20wks of preg and smoking cigs the rest of the time, i'm sure he'll survive a few hours with nursing:

i'm not bitter, lol, just waiting to rescue this sweet babe.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:30 AM

Poor thing.
Stay strong, stay sweet...they might need you. more than you know.

hugs to you and you new nephew!
Old 06-10-2003, 01:39 AM

With ds#1, I waited until I was in a recovery room to try and nurse, so about an hour.

With ds#2, I tried immediately, but he wanted to wait until I was on the pot (I should have seen the writing on the wall LOL), so about 10 minutes.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
Old 06-10-2003, 02:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've only had one birth, an unmedicated hospital forceps delivery. DD had bruises and marks but latched on in maybe 15 minutes. In the 2 days in the hospital she only nursed a few times though, the longest time being 20 minutes. I think if she needed more than that she would have nursed more; she shared my bed the whole time.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:45 AM

Given the history of the mother I wonder if they have checked things like sugar levels.

I have a c-section when DS was 36.5 weeks. Because he was borderline premie the pediatrician ordered a sugar test done. However, the nurse forgot to check the chart and spent an hour cleaning him up before letting me try and nurse him. By that time his blood sugar had dropped so low that when he wouldn't nurse they tried the bottle and that didn't work. The ped. had a fit and took DS and DH to the nursery so they could tube feed him. After that DS was fine but nursing was impossible for the next 3 weeks (loong boring story).

Let me just say that if and I have another c-section I will be demanding to feed the baby before they clean he/she up.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:15 AM

dd was born by c-section and nursed within 45 minutes. I was adament and asked the nurse while I was in the recovery room to have dh bring her back as soon as possible. And as soon as I saw her again the nurse helped me get her on.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 06-10-2003, 03:45 AM

c/s and nursed right after they sewed me up.

i wouldn't be surprised if the g/f's habits had an effect, but also think not all babes nurse right away.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 06-10-2003, 06:13 AM

Another c/s who nursed as soon as Annabelle was in my arms. If I could have latched her on while they sewed me up, I would have.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:33 AM

With my first, it was DAYS before she nursed. She just didn't want or need to.

Once she decided she wanted to, though, she didn't want to stop.

Diana
Old 06-10-2003, 09:32 AM

my dd nursed within a couple minutes and she was born without intervention
Old 06-10-2003, 10:58 AM

#1 epidural/ vacuum nursing within 20 minutes

#2 no interventions didn't nurse for 14 or 16 hours (of course big brother latched right on there after he was born )
Old 06-10-2003, 11:00 AM

I had pitocin/epidural and eventual vacuum delivery (after 23.5 hours, I was NOT having a c-section!). He nused about 15 minutes after delivery very well, but after that he wasn't interested for a day or so - I'd put him to the breast, he'd latch, and then just kind of hang out.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:48 AM

Aunt Jennifer...How's the baby doing?

Hope all is well and he's off to a good start!
Old 06-11-2003, 10:53 AM

I had Stadal (a narcotic) 12 hours before the birth, and an epidural right before and Aidan nursed 45 minutes after birth.

He probably would have nursed earlier, but they had him on the table because he was 4 weeks preemie and they were working on his breathing.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:34 AM
Banned

Baby #1 was born in 1979 and we weren't able to nurse (hospital policy) for a couple of hours after birth (my mom saw her in the nursery and said, "she looked hungry")

All seven of my other children were born in the birthing room, birthing center, or at home. These children were nursed *immediately* after birth (as in before the cord was cut)

Offering the breast soon after birth (within the first half-hour) is part of the WHO guidlines because nursing close to birth is associated with successful breastfeeding)

Hope your niece/nephew is given the opportunity to nurse!

DB
Old 06-11-2003, 11:57 AM

All of mine nursed within ½hr after birth - as soon as I got my mitts on them. I have all hospital births.

Hope your nephew is doing well.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sweetbaby3
Aunt Jennifer...How's the baby doing?

Hope all is well and he's off to a good start!
I just have to stop myself from getting too....invested here. It's soooo frustrating.

I called yesterday and the nurses had been giving him bottles...the gf says his blood sugar was low. But she said he was nursing a little bit but only 5 minutes at a time. I got the feeling that she thinks/or is being told this isn't good enough. I encouraged her that all mine did that. She kinda brushed me off but dh talked to BIL. He said that a LC was coming by today. Then he started saying how he wasn't bf and he was healthy and ok and *g* lot's of people turn out fine without bf'ing.: Yeah, well I got beat with 2x4's and I turned out great...doesn't mean it was optimal, lol.

anyway, they can't afford anything I don't know how they think they have the luxury to give bf a try for all of 24 hrs and then walk away committed to formula for a year!? I swear. if people don't want to bf because it's hard or they're lazy, just say it. own up to it for heavens sake. Don't start up with all the lame a$$ excuses to justify it. I've seen too many moms struggle under very real cirmstances to bf successfully...this kinda crap irks me. And believe me, I'm not jumping the gun here. These 2 are complete idiots. For every 1 minute I think they might actually get their crap together, there are painful months/years where it's obvious they are never going to get it together.

I'm just back to being pissed that they brought a child into their screwed up little world and there's nothing we can do to keep irresponsible idiots from reproducing It's not just about bf either...it's the enitre package.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:38 PM

I had a c/s and Tracy latched on about 45 minutes after birth. The nurse in the recovery room (nameed Tracy) was joined by my labor nurse (also named Tracy) and they encouraged me to go ahead. So, I did. Amazingly he latched on great....it was the next couple times that he didn't get it. Its like he forgot after that one time!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
Old 06-11-2003, 05:00 PM

I am so sorry about this. I cant imagine standing by, just watching two people sytematically wreck an innocent baby's life. I have been thinking about your thread, and am keeping my fingers crossed... should they screw up, you would get guardianship!

I hear ya about the breastfeeding. If they dont want to, dont like it, cant stand it, just say it. I dont like excuses either. but we also have to remember that drug addicts, at their core are very selfish. even in recovery, its all about *them*, so to me, not wanting to breast feed fits in with this, after all, breastfeeding your child is a selfless act....you are totally giving of yourself, kwim?

another thing to consider is that formula might not be so bad if she isnt caring very well for herself. I wonder, would her diet, if it was poor and lacking, affect the "quality" of her milk? I mean, if she's smoking cigarettes, eating popcorn and twinkies, formula might be better, kwim?
Old 06-11-2003, 08:34 PM

Both my daughter nursed withen an hour after birth. My son however was doped on demoral and ending up not nursing at all.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sweetbaby3

another thing to consider is that formula might not be so bad if she isnt caring very well for herself. I wonder, would her diet, if it was poor and lacking, affect the "quality" of her milk? I mean, if she's smoking cigarettes, eating popcorn and twinkies, formula might be better, kwim?
NAK. breastmilk has been called "the great equalizer" precisely b/c its quality does not vary directly w/ the mother's diet. however, the nutrition has to come from *somewhere*, so the mother's health is compromised to a degree.

sweetbaby3, i *totally* agree with you about the selfish nature of drug addicts. BTDT with my brother.

BTW, DS was born in the water at home and he did not nurse right away. actually, he did not have a lot of interest until the third day. i had a remarkably healthy pregnancy. he is just a very laid-back guy! as i type, he is nursin' 'n nappin'!!

jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
Old 06-11-2003, 09:16 PM

Jean...so mothers milk will always be optimum, it just "takes" from the mothers resources? I figured it might work that way, but wasnt sure. Thanks for taking the time to answer me....and not slam me!

Warmly, Lisa
Old 06-11-2003, 09:25 PM

Quote:
so mothers milk will always be optimum, it just "takes" from the mothers resources?
Can I correct you again?

Breastmilk is never "optimal" formula is inferior, breast milk is just normal.

So yes, a poorly nurished mother's milk is normal (except in cases of extreme malnutrition).
Old 06-12-2003, 12:12 AM

I had a hospital birth with an epidural, and DD nursed within 20 minutes or so.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:20 AM

Home/water birth with #2, he nursed within 5 minutes for about a half an hour.

Momma to three fine children, one that lives in my heart and two that live in my arms.
Circumcision is wrong, regardless of gender
Old 06-12-2003, 12:37 AM

Mallory, if you felt i was correct:
Quote:
So yes, a poorly nurished mother's milk is normal (except in cases of extreme malnutrition).
why correct me?

I meant "optimal" in the best possible way. optimum=ideal, perfect, optimal. the best or most favorable (from my Websters Unabridged Dictionary). So when i said optimal, that mean the best, or better than formula.

Good G*d. :

User Tag List