Do kids these days still have sleepovers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-19-2007, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How does that work with households who have family beds?

My dd was born : in May 2006 and my ds was born : in February 2008. : :
: We're on an extended tandem nursing adventure! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2007, 05:48 PM

Funny timing! My 3.5 year old just had her best friend, a 5.5 year old, sleep over last night. He wanted to sleep with her, she wanted to sleep with me. So we all slept in my bed: him, her, then me.

Worked great. Of course, our families are very close and I'm a single mama. I can imagine different family structures would face different challenges.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When my kids were younger and other kids slept over they usually just crashed in the living room or the other bedroom together. (Even when my kids slept in my bed we always had a room "for them".. their toys, their clothes, etc.)

Of course now Dd is older and is off to spend the night at her friends house.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 05-20-2007, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We never had kids sleep over until my kids were in their own beds. I wouldn't have felt very comfortable with trying to figure it out.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
Old 05-20-2007, 10:12 PM

My kids all started having sleepovers around 8 years old, which in our family is long after they have moved into their own rooms. They usually sleep in the living room. My DD had a slumber party for her 9th birthday and it was the cutest thing, this heap of little girls sleeping like puppies.

My boys are not nearly so into it as my DD. Wonder why that is?

computergeek2.gif

Old 05-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownZoo View Post
this heap of little [kids} sleeping like puppies.
This is exactly how my BIL described it when my son slept over with his 2 cousins and 2 of their friends! Apparently they were all piled in a heap sleeping on an air mattress together, all five of them. I wish he'd taken a picture!

I think I'd just ask your child, "Where would you and your friend sleep? Where would you sleep if you went to her house?" It's good to get them thinking about it from the other perspective. And the whole appeal of a sleepover is sleeping together and whispering and giggling, etc. You can't do that with the parents around!
Old 05-20-2007, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I never had any sleepovers with friends before age 9 or so, and I made the same rule for my kids. They just didn't seem ready for sleepovers before then. And they had already graduated from the family bed at that point.

DD2 still occasionally sleeps in my room (in DS' bed). When there's a girl sleeping over, she sleeps in her own room (that she shares with her sister.)

So, co-sleeping has never been an issue with regards to sleepovers, at least not in my house.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 05-20-2007, 11:36 PM

Yes, kids these days still have sleepovers. Mine started at around age 6 or 7 with very good friends. My kids move from our room to their own at 3 months though so it was never an issue here. I do know one family IRL that did family bed - but she had a ds and I had a dd so the sleepover issue never came up.

When our kids have sleepovers here, they sleep either in their room with the friend(s) or in the living room. I wouldn't be comfortable with my kid sleeping in the same bed with her friend's parents. I'd never let her sleepover with someone I didn't trust, but I still don't want her sleeping in bed with adults.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the responses. My daughter is only a year old right now, so obviously we have some time before this will be a real issue for us. But it was something I'd been wondering about since it looks like we're going in for the long haul with the family bed. Sleepovers were a staple of my own childhood.

My dd was born : in May 2006 and my ds was born : in February 2008. : :
: We're on an extended tandem nursing adventure! :
Old 05-21-2007, 02:02 AM

My almost 5 year old had his first sleep over at his "best-friend"'s house about a month ago, his first one. I was a bit nervous about it, A. hardly ever spends the entire night in his own bed. Usually he's curled up with one of us in our bed by 4 am.

A. was sleeping over at a family's home whom I trust completely, so my son and his friend both snuggled into the family bed with friend's mom and dad. A. had a blast, and felt totally safe the entire night. It will be a few years before I'd have A. sleep over at someone's home with whom I didn't share that level of trust.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:25 PM

My son had a friend sleep over when he was 3 -- but only because his friend's mother was at the birth center having his little sister! Both families did family bed, and I ended up with both little boys in bed with me.

By 5, when we started sleep overs with friends with less compelling reasons, DS was moving back and forth between his bed and mine. When he has a friend over he just stays in his room with them, or on the floor of the living room -- wherever they've camped out for the night.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:23 PM

DS has sleepovers. Once per month, I babysit my niece and nephew (Ages 2 and 7) overnight so that my SIL can have a break.

But at the end of the night, DS still wants to sleep with me and DH. After they have played and he is sleepy, he just goes and get in the family bed..leaving niece and nephew fast asleep in the family room.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:26 PM

My son went to his first sleepover that wasn't at grandma's a couple of weeks ago. He and his friend shared the double bed in the guest room of his friend's house. They had a great time.

User Tag List