What is mainstream in your area? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 06-30-2003, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Zag-
I guess mainstream is not so bad a word if used like the OP intended. (didn’t mean ANY offence, OP). I think talking about Mainstream as what most people do/think can be helpful. I don’t think, however, that it should be used to condescend and I have seen it used this way here at MDC. (it seems like the term baby bucket is also not so nice but I did a search and this has been done here and I don't think we are even alowed to talk about it and it's not the topic of this tread...I was just wondering-thanks)

To get back on topic:
I live in Heidelberg, Germany now and the range of parenting styles is HUGE! It’s so nice to see all the different cultures of parents together at the parks and stuff. People seem to be all over the board with specific practices combining really AP stuff with really not AP stuff, kwim? As a result, people seem to be more moderate about their choices and tolerant of people making different ones…I love this!!

For example I went to this “Green” family festival this weekend. It was a typical crunchy family fest with organic food, drum circles and etc. but everyone was drinking heavily...fun! BTW, strollers are the total norm here and they are all big huge things that rock and have shocks and stuff. But this is a cultural thing because most people don’t drive. One more thing, candy is offered to all children in shops and even in the homeopathic pediatrician’s office.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 33 Old 06-30-2003, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maintream around here....I'm in central new york...

Boys are circed wtih out second thought.

Breastfeeding is hardly seen -I've never seen other mommas breastfeeding at the mall, and there's ALWAYS tons of moms/babies there. I think I can count on one hand other breastfeeding moms I saw at wic appts.

Baby holders are overused. Not by everyone, but lots of people insist on dragging babies around in carseats no matter where they are. I've only seen two other slinging mommas in real life, while "people watching" - they looked like OTSBHs actually.

NO ONE uses cloth. Unless they're the ones keeping the one cloth diaper service thats in the tricounty area in bussiness - I haven't run into them.

VERY FEW people will even consider homebirth. I only know two other mommas IRL here who attempted homebirth but transfered. They still count as HB advocates in my book though of course.

We have a lot of Vegs/Vegans in the area, and many people tend to be environmentally concious...

and I know this can't possibly be mainstream, but I was in for a shock a few weeks ago while at FIL's another momma was feeding her 6 month old girl hot dogs, sugared ice tea, macaroni salad and baked beans Then her b/f tried giving my toddler beer!!
#33 of 33 Old 06-30-2003, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in central NJ where most attempt to bf but only for a few weeks, 4 months tops. Extended Bf is unheard of. Cloth diapering and not circing is also unheard of. I had one neighbor who didn't vax her kids and everyone always talked about how they were insane (literally).
Most of the moms in the area have nannies so they are mostly secret spankers. They'd never do it in public (that's for the "lower class" like one other poster said) but do at home. CIO is huge and highly recommended.
But a lot of people are really into eating well or vegetarian lifestyle.

Stephanie, mom to 3 big girls ('94, '99 & '02) and to my little guy (12/30/09) intact & CD'ed!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page