When did you start covering up around your DC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-11-2007, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The other post about children running around naked outside got me thinking. How old were your children when you started covering up. I am very comfortable my DD is only 6 months old and we (DH and I)shower and bath with her. I grew up in a house with 4 people and only 1 bathroom so we never had a problem going to the bathroom while someone was taking a shower. Maybe this is weird to some but I have never had an issue, but my DH is a little more reserved. What age do you think its inappropriate to shower with DD or change in front of her? I dont want her to think beign naked is bad.

Melissa-:,:,, mama to Madyson (11-18-06) and Maisie (5-20-09). DW to Doug (10-23-04).
#2 of 13 Old 06-11-2007, 03:32 PM

Never...I still don't cover up around my kids. I grew up in a nudie friendly house and this is one too. No biggie.
#3 of 13 Old 06-11-2007, 04:10 PM

I'm planning on taking the cues from my children. When they start to act uncomfortable with my nudity, I'll cover up around them.

The only irritating thing is that if DD sees me without a top, she starts trying to climb me like a tree to nurse

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#4 of 13 Old 06-11-2007, 04:24 PM

I started keeping my bottom half covered around ds1 a couple of years ago (he was about 12). He was becoming uncomfortable, so I followed his cues. I still don't worry too much about it if he sees me without a shirt, as I've been breastfeeding for the last four years, with another baby on the way. Seeing breasts is just a fact of life around here...even his teenage male friends are pretty much over being traumatized by it...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#5 of 13 Old 06-11-2007, 04:30 PM

My DS will be 6 in October, and I still don't cover up at all around him. DH and I both still shower with him. He hasn't expressed any discomfort whatsoever in me being nude around him, and he doesn't seem modest at all about his own body yet, either.
#6 of 13 Old 06-11-2007, 05:45 PM

DDs are 8 and 4 and I still can be nude around them. DP has started getting more private, though (completely with dd1 and semi with dd2). She told him the otherday that his penis "looked like a poop" so I think that embarassed him into closing doors whilst using the bathroom...
#7 of 13 Old 06-11-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkenny View Post
Never...I still don't cover up around my kids. I grew up in a nudie friendly house and this is one too. No biggie.
:

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#8 of 13 Old 06-11-2007, 06:31 PM

I will take cues from DS. Neither DH and I are covering up around him...As soon as DS expresses discomfort, we will stop.
#9 of 13 Old 06-11-2007, 08:26 PM

DS is 6.5 and neither BF nor I cover up around him. he still bathes and showers with us. We'll take our cues from him.
#10 of 13 Old 06-11-2007, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yep, take your cue from the kid. I have dd that could be naked all the time. My son, though,started being shy about skin when he was 6. I drape some parts a bit around him, so that HE is not embarrassed.
#11 of 13 Old 06-11-2007, 09:22 PM

My daughter is 10 and I still don't cover up around her. But it doesn't bother either one of us. If it did, changes would be made obviously.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#12 of 13 Old 06-12-2007, 02:09 AM

I don't cover up around them yet, and they all walk around naked when they are looking for clothes or after baths. DH covers up all of the time. The first time that DS really saw his dad naked, when he was 3 , he looked down at his own penis and up at daddies and his eyes nearly popped from his head . They also have such funny questions about body parts and hair and stuff, I don't mind. Last year, about around the time DD/almost 3 weaned, she asked to see my "boobies" after I had come from the shower and was about to get dressed, and I said sure, she looked at them for a moment and said "They're beautiful mommy". I nearly cried. Yeah know, some people are very modest and others are more relaxed, you will know when it is time to cover up, trust you mama instinct.

: :

Samanthawild.gif mama to 5 joy.gif                                                         

#13 of 13 Old 06-12-2007, 02:46 AM

My boys are 9 & 2. I don't cover up around DS2, but I make some effort to cover around DS1. I'm not super-prudish about it, though. I like showering with the door closed for my own sense of privacy more than worrying about the DC's comfort.

I agree with the pp's about just following your kids' cues. I don't really think much about it, but DS1 walked into the bathroom the other day just as I was bending over to put on undies and I got the "oh... gosh... sorry" from him I guess I should pay more attention to the door now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page