Unusual names - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 128 Old 06-29-2003, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just took a look at the popular names thread and thought I would start this one.

I love unusual names and thought we could all share some of the unusual names we have all heard and liked (or detested).

There is one family I know who pretty much all have unusual names: two daughters, Chelsea and Sheray Chelsea is a little uncommon. her two sons, listen to this: Jovan Etrayu (middle name from Neverending story), and her newest addition is Dragon Lore (pronounced DRAY-GUN).

#2 of 128 Old 06-29-2003, 10:57 PM

Most unusual name i've heard of is Siri Iris for a boy. It's a palindrome.

One of my fave alternative names is Naeco. It's ocean spelled backwards.
#3 of 128 Old 06-29-2003, 11:07 PM

I don't know anyone with particularly unusual names, but I have one myself, though it is becoming more common. My name is Rhiannon.

Growing up I didn't like my name much, but now I love it and I am SO glad I'm not just another Jennifer (no offense meant).

So we decided to give our son an unusual name also (DH's name is Dan), and name him Ozaiis (pronounced oh-ZAY-iss).
#4 of 128 Old 06-29-2003, 11:29 PM

One of the women on my old PG board named her son Robinton, after the much-loved Harper of Pern from the Dragonrider's series.

Dragan is a Croatian name. My friend's DH is named that. His friends call him "DRAY-gon" but in Croatian it is "DRA-gan".

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#5 of 128 Old 06-29-2003, 11:35 PM

if we had had a girl, dh seriously wanted to name her sugar magnolia; we had a boy!

i know someone who named their boy grey rabbit. no joke.
#6 of 128 Old 06-29-2003, 11:44 PM

I have an unusual name and hated it until about age 13, tried to change it, hated that too, learned to love it... but it was hard and I copped alot of teasing as a kid that I could have done without

my kids have names that are fairly standard as I had no desire to do the same to them
#7 of 128 Old 06-29-2003, 11:45 PM
Banned

My brother's exgirlfriend is going to name her son Lestat. My brother also named his son Nikoy, which I think he made up.
#8 of 128 Old 06-30-2003, 12:01 AM

If we ever have a girl, her name will be Cynthany Lucerra (Sin-tha-ne Lu-sara).
I came up with Cynthany when I was tired one night. I was trying to say "Cynthia Geary" (the actress from Northern Exposure) and I slurred it. My dh said, "that's pretty" and we decided to use it.

We made a huge mistake, though. Throughout my pg with ds#2 we were sure it was a girl. When we got surprised with a boy, we chose Calvin Lucas. Just using the same initials. Well, if we have a girl, our children will have matching initials and I hate that.

Momma to three fine children, one that lives in my heart and two that live in my arms.
Circumcision is wrong, regardless of gender
#9 of 128 Old 06-30-2003, 12:12 AM

DH family has odd names for the grandkids..

Ours our..

Mercury Alexander.. Ok.. Alexander is pretty normal, but we got heat over Mercury..
and
Xavier Kerrclan.. Again.. Xavier not too out there, but Kerrclan is in refferencee to my dads side ot the family.. THey are scottish from the Kerr Clan.. Ta-Da..

This one due in July will be LIam Lloyd.. Liam pretty popular these days, and Lloyd was dh gpa's name..

His sibs named their kidss..

Ocean Orion, and Noah for his older sis's 2 boys..

Poet for his youngest bro's boy,

Malichi Curtis, and Arianna for his youngest sis's kids...

My family is pretty odd too.. I am Dyan (pronounced D anne.. )and my sister is Leia (yep. .After Star Wars.. If she had been boy she would have been Darth. .)

Warm Squishsy Feelings..

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#10 of 128 Old 06-30-2003, 12:34 AM

My niece's name is December Noel. I know an Amulree who was named after a town in Scotland.

I am contemplating names for my baby to be born in January. If it is a boy it is probably going to be Joel Matthew and if it is a girl it is probably going to be Delaney Skye. Although they may change tomorrow

My son's name is Elijah Markus. I never realized how many people pronounced Elijah with a "zha" instead of a "jah". My dh and I joke about naming our second son Elisha and that would get everyone confused
#11 of 128 Old 06-30-2003, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dyan - Wow, good thing she was a girl!

DDs name is Lilyka. its pretty unusual (hence the reason I chose it for a user name) It is pronounced li-li-ka, should have spelled it Lillica. too late now. it is hungarian apparently.

some other names we had picked that were less than usual were Denali and Indigo (for a boy) and Ocean for a girl.

My neighbors kids were: Shadow (boy) Sesca (girl - sounds like Fresca) and Draven (boy - long a sound)

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#12 of 128 Old 06-30-2003, 01:27 AM

My daughter is Dagny, named after one of the main characters in an Ayn Rand novel. My husband just insisted. I fought it pretty hard, I wanted something easier, but he is a huge Rand fan and had always, always felt if he had a daughter he would name her Dagny. It is actually a pretty common Norweigan name. Seattle has a large Norweigan community and when we lived up there we met a few others. People with the name are either Norweigan or had Rand Fans for parents.

it is hard for her now ( she's almost 7) EVERY time someone asks her her name I see her get the look. She says "Dagny" they say "HUH?" she says "DAGNY!" They say "daphne?' She says "DAGNY !!! D-A-G-N-Y" they do: and she says " Forget it....just call me D "
#13 of 128 Old 06-30-2003, 01:59 AM

I love a lot of unusual names. Dh is more 'normal', but we compromised pretty well on the kids.

Ds is Maverick Gabriel. My family called him 'little boy' for two months, hoping we would change it. Everyone else thinks Maverick is very cool.

Dd is Charis. (pronounced Care-is) Not too much problem from family and friends, except no one can pronounce it correctly.

I love both Mercury and Orion. Also, Cain and Hawk.

For girls, the prettiest name I've ever heard is Krissoula. And I like the names Silver and Scarlet as well.
#14 of 128 Old 06-30-2003, 02:15 AM

Some unusual names I have run across:

Stavros
Spiros
Canaan
Seth
Areyh
Asher
Aramayis
Justice
Gideon

Me'irah
Giselle
Maureen
Reda
Rhia
Raizah
Angelique
Adah
Moiya
#15 of 128 Old 06-30-2003, 03:52 AM

my sil named her dd Czlicia (pronouced su lee shu) poor girl, she is only 3 and most people can never pronounce her name right...I have no idea what she is going to do once she goes to school
#16 of 128 Old 06-30-2003, 04:37 AM

#17 of 128 Old 06-30-2003, 04:50 AM

JesseMomme My son is Liam too. I didn't think the name was *that* uncommon (in fact it's rising in popularity fast), but people still don't seem to know how to pronounce it. My grandfather was pronouncing it Lie-am. : Whatever.

Liam's middle name is Slainte (pronounced Slan-cha), which is an Irish greeting/toast for good health.

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.
#18 of 128 Old 06-30-2003, 05:31 AM
Dar

I named my daughter Acacia, but she changed it to Rain a year ago. Both pretty unusla, although Rain gets pronounced correctly. (I got so tired of saying, "Uh KAY shah, like the tree..."

We know girls named Ocean and Denali, those aren't that uncommon out in California!

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#19 of 128 Old 06-30-2003, 05:56 AM

my son has a really unusual name, and i'm due in two months with number two.. will definately be going the unusual route again with this one.

lilyka, i LOVE your daughter's name/your user name. every time i see it, i smile.. darned if i almost don't want to use it. i can't, tho, cuz i'll just think of you (not that that's bad .. but you know..)

i'm thinking i'll scour godess and god names.. and if anyone knows any good links to unique names, let me know!
#20 of 128 Old 06-30-2003, 06:02 AM

Dar I have a freind named Denali in CA, wonder if she's the same you know, SC mountains? DOes not pronounce it like the mountain
#21 of 128 Old 06-30-2003, 07:02 AM

I'm Phoebe - pretty unusual when I was a child. Now, with 'Friends', at least people have heard the name, but they never spell it or pronounce it right. I am used to responding to "Foe-bee", "Foe-ee-bee", and "Fifi" and getting mail for "Phebe", "Feebee", and (always cracks DH up) "Phobe"!

DH is Sean. He gets called "Seen" and gets misspelled "Shawn" and "Shaun".

My dad is first name Wirt, middle name Leake. Never met another Wirt. He gets "Wart" (lol) and "Ward" all the time. As a boy, he punched a kid who called him "Wirt the Squirt...he's Leaky," which I thought was very inventive teasing ag

My DD#1 is Faith, not too unusual, but people frequently call her "Fay".

DD#2 is Abaigeal, the Gaelic spelling of Abigail.

DS is our oddest name. Bede, pronounced "Bead".
"His name is Bede." "Sorry?" "Bede." "What?" "Bede!"....
But he has Michael to fall back on as a middle name if he gets tired of explaining his first name.
#22 of 128 Old 06-30-2003, 09:58 AM
Banned

Some of the more unusual names...

Shantra who is now a mom and her daughter is Trinity(!)

I know a Kaede which is unusual (I'm not being judgemental I think these names are lovely)

My children (after the first two) have unusual middle names which are (omitting the first two) Lael, Lavi, Love, Lemuel, Lucas, and Lisbeth.

DB
#23 of 128 Old 06-30-2003, 10:29 AM

Well, I thought my DD's name was unusual when I chose it (3+ years ago). Now, I see it's come up frequently on the Popular Names thread.

If we'd had a son, though, his name would probably have been Sean. I liked Asher, as well.

A friend named her son Rainey and her daughter Aira. Both cool.
#24 of 128 Old 06-30-2003, 11:11 AM

i'm new to these boards and don't post much but here goes....

my name is Hope -- not so 'unusual' but very uncommon. as a kid I heard a lot of "that's not a name, it's a word" pretty much dislike my name until high school boys thought it was cool. I wouldn't trade it for anything now

my dd is named Meta after my grandmother. The 'e' has a long 'a' sound. she was swiss/german and the name was a popular derivation in German from Margaret in the early 1900's. since naming her, I have run into several adults who say 'oh, that was my grandmother's name too' but my boss who is a native German has never heard of it.

anyway, she'll have to fight the pronunciation game but i figure it will giver her character and my grandmother was a special lady.
we have friends who named their ds after a great-granfather -- Thor -- they are of Norweigan descent and live in a town that is still very norsk
#25 of 128 Old 06-30-2003, 11:59 AM

My name seems more unusual since moving west... Moira.

DD is Tanis. We have yet to meet another one. It's traditionally a woman's name, but there are a few male Tanis' popping up in baby sites on the internet... apparently it's the name of a bisexual knight (or something similiar) in a series of pulp fantasy novels. This is the only instance I can think of for a name to shift from female to male rather than the other way around. Her middle name was slated to be "Jones" after Indiana Jones (Tanis is also the name of the place the lost ark was buried in the movie), but we chickened out and went for Elizabeth. Happy with that decision now, because I didn't realize at the time how decrepit Harrison Ford had become (not age... Callista!).
#26 of 128 Old 06-30-2003, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Worldshakerz
Just : Jovan Etrayu (middle name from Neverending story), and her newest addition is Dragon Lore (pronounced DRAY-GUN).

my dogs name is Falkor from Neverending Story, noone ever knows what I am talking about....how cool...nak
#27 of 128 Old 06-30-2003, 12:44 PM

My dd's name is Tsifira. Believe it or not, at 15 months, she is pretty close to being able to say it.
#28 of 128 Old 06-30-2003, 12:53 PM

My dd's name is Tsuneo (Soo-Nee-Oh) Phri (Free). Other unusual names I have run across IRL are Maxx Cyber, Teegan, Ambrea, and Jaelithe. I know there are more, but my brain's a little tired today....
#29 of 128 Old 06-30-2003, 01:21 PM

#30 of 128 Old 06-30-2003, 01:25 PM

My name is Deirdre, (not the Deirdre who uses Deirdre as her user name). I have always appricated it's weirdness.
My daughter Caitlin Rose's name was unusual when we picked it. My sister is named Katherine, and Caitlin is a Gaelic form of that. Oh, my, now there are so many, and so many different ways of spelling it. But I have only met one Caitlin her age, the rest are nine and down.
My daughter Madeline was named by her big sister after the little girl in Paris. Madeline gets called Madelynn frequently and Maddie, which she hates. Her dad picked her middle name. He made it up after my friends that helped us with the pregnancy and birth. It's Jo (after Jodi) Leah (after Leah) Beth, (after Mary Beth and Elizabeth) Les (after his sister Leslie) and Lyn ( after his sister Lynn). So the whole name is Madeline JoLeahbeth Leslyn. She loves it.
My youngest was named Charlotte for a few hours, but it just did not seem right. Now she is named Claire, after no one, the name just came to me. I only know one other Claire, and she is a grown up. Her middle name is Maureen, after my older sister.
I wanted to name Madeline "Juniper". But once a "mystic" guy told me I would meet my first born (who died of SIDS) again and her name would be JUNE. I had completely forgotten the encounter with this guy, as I believed at the time that he just took my 20.00$$ and made up something. I have never met a baby named JUNE. But while pregnant, I had a dream that reminded me about the prediction that I would meet JUNE. I woke up and told her dad that we could not name her Juniper. It just seemed a little heavy load for a brand new baby to carry. Weird huh? I still love the name Juniper. Juniper Pearl. Juniper Joy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page