How old it too old for a child to be in a booster seat? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How old is too old for a child to be in a booster seat?
7-9 years 23 16.79%
10 years 32 23.36%
11 years 7 5.11%
12 years 16 11.68%
13 years 8 5.84%
14 years 4 2.92%
15 years 1 0.73%
16 years 1 0.73%
17 years 1 0.73%
18+ years if the person hasn't reached 4ft. 9in. 44 32.12%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

#151 of 166 Old 07-07-2007, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyGrace View Post
I have yet to see a 6yo that can fit an adult seat properly. A booster is $14. Why isn't a child's life worth that little? They might get teased? So what?
Oh. Because it doesn't look cool. Because they should be too big for such a thing. They're not, and one look at them in a seatbelt will tell you that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesday View Post
The very hip 15-year-old boy next door often has a pack of friends over in the front yard and they do bike tricks in the street -- they all always have helmets on and I'm sure they would seriously razz any kid who was riding around without one.
Awesome kids!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
this is not a marketing ploy, this is about research and people caring enough about their children to do over and above what the law says and fighting to get the laws changed.

... Things change, research comes out, and I find it reprehensible that some of you base your child's safety on perceived marketing ploys etc.

... Putting him in his carseat is just one thing I do to build trust w/ him, b/c he actually HAS to trust me to know what is best for him.

... Taking them out of their seat seems to me to be reversing some of what we try and teach our children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
: : : :

Y'all know that 'lobby group' is PARENTS, right?

The ignorance on this thread is astounding.

"repeal the law"...give me a flippin' break.
:

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 166 Old 07-07-2007, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9m9m9 View Post
Its funny bc I had some old catalogs from back in the 80's and those backless booster seats are featured in them and were sold back then. Same exact models. Some even included teather straps so they could be used with just lap belts. Notice that through the 80's/90's, these type of seats were rarely marketed but they were always available.
I am going to arrogantly quote myself. What I wrote about aftermarket seat positioners also applies to boosters used with just lap belts. It's not propaganda. I don't make a dime from advocating carseat use; in fact, I spend plenty of my own dimes on training and supplies and childcare while I'm off checking seats. I'm glad that people care enough to lobby for more effective restraints.

Quote:
In most cases, the aftermarket seatbelt positioners raise the lap belt to across the abdomen. This would mean that in a crash, the crash forces would be transferred into the abdomen and there would be a high probability of organ damage. Properly fitting seatbelts allow the crash forces to be absorbed by the shoulders and hips, which are large bones and more able to withstand crash forces than internal organs.

Single WAH mama to a fourteen-year-old girl.
#153 of 166 Old 07-07-2007, 05:03 PM

I can understand where one might see marketing and advertising a $ 300-$ 400 car seat as "propaganda". However, one just can't compare that to advocating and making law the use of a device (a BPB) that enables a vehicles lap and shoulder belts to fit a child, thereby enabling the seat belt to actually fit to restrain said child. When your child passes the 5 step test, then it is a moot point. Do we buy shoes 5 sizes too large for our children and expect them to be able to wear them?
#154 of 166 Old 07-07-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaschildren View Post
I can understand where one might see marketing and advertising a $ 300-$ 400 car seat as "propaganda". However, one just can't compare that to advocating and making law the use of a device (a BPB) that enables a vehicles lap and shoulder belts to fit a child, thereby enabling the seat belt to actually fit to restrain said child. When your child passes the 5 step test, then it is a moot point. Do we buy shoes 5 sizes too large for our children and expect them to be able to wear them?
I will agree with that: yes, it may be "propaganda" to claim that only Britaxes and Recaros and Safeguards will keep kids safe. But keeping kids harnessed and/or properly belted is in line with the laws of physics, common sense, and most states.

#155 of 166 Old 07-07-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
I will agree with that: yes, it may be "propaganda" to claim that only Britaxes and Recaros and Safeguards will keep kids safe. But keeping kids harnessed and/or properly belted is in line with the laws of physics, common sense, and most states.
I think we are in agreement? I don't know about you, but I have had a REALLY tough time as a CPS professional and as a person with the whole recommended/best safety practice equaling big bucks on one manufacturer for many years (and even now only 3 or 4 choices each with their own idiosyncrasies). I am disenchanted with CRS manufacturers in general, vehicle makers, and from uneducated politicians who kill our bills without hesitation. Who does this legislation protect? Vehicle makers and CRS makers. Who is it suppose to protect? Our CHILDREN. But we will plug on. Sigh.

DC
#156 of 166 Old 07-07-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaschildren View Post
I think we are in agreement? I don't know about you, but I have had a REALLY tough time as a CPS professional and as a person with the whole recommended/best safety practice equaling big bucks on one manufacturer for many years (and even now only 3 or 4 choices each with their own idiosyncrasies). I am disenchanted with CRS manufacturers in general, vehicle makers, and from uneducated politicians who kill our bills without hesitation. Who does this legislation protect? Vehicle makers and CRS makers. Who is it suppose to protect? Our CHILDREN. But we will plug on. Sigh.

DC
I think we are *completely* in agreement! I am not anti-Britax -- my daughter adores her "cow" Marathon (and the fact that she adores it makes it so much easier to keep her harnessed!). But I am frustrated that the answer to "how do I keep my child safe?" is so often "buy a fancy spendy seat", and also that people who can't afford to spend $300 per seat feel frustrated that they can't keep their child safe and end up going straight to backless boosters or even seatbelts.

#157 of 166 Old 07-16-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
well my 7 year old is 4'3" and I can't imagine making her sit in a car seat. my 10 year old is short for her age but has to be over 5'9" or right at it. I wouldn't dream of making Madeline sit in a carseat. How humiliating. I don't know a single person in real life who would even consider it.
You may not have a choice soon. My state just passed a new carseat law. 8 years old AND 60lbs to be out of a booster.

#158 of 166 Old 07-17-2007, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just wanted to take a moment to address the issue of "forcing" a child to sit in a carseat and the fear of a resulting dismantling of trust. This was quite a sub-theme in the thread, going a couple of pages back.

It might become a matter of "forcing" if the child has been given reason to believe that other options are normal/acceptable. Our 6-year-old is in a high-back booster. None of her friends are. This is of absolutely no concern to her (yet she is quite 6-going-on-17 in many other ways). I realize there are limits to that; if she would be in a booster at age 14 and none of her friends were, I would be foolish if I didn't expect a fight.

But back to normalcy diffusing a need to "force":
My kids see that my husband and I wear seatbelts every single time we are in a vehicle. They have no reason to think anyone is "forcing" us to do that. It's simple: it's just what you do. No child in my family feels "forced" to have a drink of milk/water/juice when thirsty. It's simple: it's just what you do.

"Force" applies in situation of multiple choices. At least some of the comments around not forcing one's child into a traumatic carseat ride were made by individual(s) who had clearly in the past presented traveling in the car out of the carseat as an option.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#159 of 166 Old 07-17-2007, 02:27 AM

My son is very small for his age only about the size of an average six or seven year-old instead of almost ten. He is very embarrassed about his booster. When it comes to giving him a ride after school with his friends in tow he would rather walk home than to let them see him in a booster.
I put that out there cause it does matter to some kids. Luckily our truck has adjustable seat-belts, they can be raised up or down and he is just barely too mall on the lowest settings still. Hopefully by the end of this year that will have changed.
#160 of 166 Old 07-17-2007, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
Unless your kid is tall enough to sit safely in a seatbelt it's absolutely stunned to say, "Ok, you know, I think at 9 you are old enough to die in a car crash. No booster for you!"

Good grief. If your kid needs a booster, put him in it, don't pass on your weird insecurities to your child (the general 'you' of course)
You.are.the.coolest

I voted 18+
#161 of 166 Old 07-17-2007, 12:14 PM

I haven't read through the 8 pages of responses yet, so sorry if someone has already shared something similar-
I am 5'3" and my first vehicle was a HUGE diesel Blazer, with an un-adjustable steering wheel. Much like the grannies on the first page, I HAD to sit on something in order to see where I was going and fit in the seat belt properly (my dad was a paramedic so seat belt safety was drilled into our little heads from the beginning.)
I had an adult version of a backless booster, I think my parents got it at an auto parts store.
It wasn't a big deal at all. After a while, I put bumper stickers and punked it out a little. My friends thought it was cute.

Really, booster seats today are so common, low profile and not baby-ish in any way.

Mom to 2 little ladybugs, age 4 and 6, and wife to that guy that lives here. 
#162 of 166 Old 07-17-2007, 12:54 PM

Oh for the love of....

Stop putting your own issues with embarassement on your children. The stupid culture of our youth, with being embarassed to wear knee pads and helmets is long gone and good ridance.
#163 of 166 Old 07-17-2007, 01:14 PM

#164 of 166 Old 07-17-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeter9 View Post

Interesting. The Recaro Start was listed as a seat to avoid.
#165 of 166 Old 07-17-2007, 01:29 PM

For those who think a 5point harness isn't necessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LFo8vVi04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azgBhZfcqaQ

Yep, torture.

Lily - it could be because it is a Canadian site and the Recaro I don't know if it is approved for the same parameters as the US.

edit: sorry it is a UK site.
#166 of 166 Old 07-17-2007, 01:31 PM

Didn't read all the posts above....

One of my best friends in high school was 4'10". No embarrassment at all about using a booster seat to drive (mostly to help see over the dashboard). I don't think she was in a booster seat as a passenger, but mostly because there just wasn't much awareness about the issues when we were kids.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page