Do you let your kids go up the slide? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you let your kids go up the slide?
No, I don't. 74 16.09%
Yes, I let them. 310 67.39%
Other. 76 16.52%
Voters: 460. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 203 Old 07-14-2007, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verity View Post
If we're alone, or with close friends who don't care, I let them. Otherwise, I go with the flow of the other parents around. Some parents really seem to care, so I don't let my kids go up when other parents have an issue with it and/or the playground is crowded.

Me too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 203 Old 07-14-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&IsMama View Post
I'm honestly : that people are even debating this at all.
I'm not really seeing much of a debate; just people answering the question and giving a reason why. I hope no one here has felt that others are trying to convince them to do things differently.
#183 of 203 Old 07-15-2007, 10:56 AM
Banned

I do, unless other kids are trying to go down, and no running up!
#184 of 203 Old 07-15-2007, 11:37 AM

of course, when it's appropriate. and if it's a playground rule to only go down the slide, I'd still let them if there weren't other children on it-they need to learn that some rules are made to be bent.
#185 of 203 Old 07-15-2007, 11:56 AM

Wow!!!

Almost 200 replies about playground slides....

I abstained from voting, as DD is too young and I have no experience with this. I guess if no one is coming down, why not?
#186 of 203 Old 07-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Banned

DH took DD to the park and I bet he is letting her walk up the slide right now.

ETA: Maybe not. I just stepped outside and it is about 95 degrees. Slides get hot when it is hot here.
#187 of 203 Old 07-19-2007, 04:03 PM

We have a slide at our park that has bumps on it so that you can climb it. That sucker was born to be climbed up. The other day, my DD tried to go down that slide, and couldn't figure out why it was so bumpy.
#188 of 203 Old 07-20-2007, 10:21 PM

nope, my daughter is a very shy kid at times, especially when the playground is crowded. she has been the kid who gets trampled by kids comming up the slide while she's trying to go down. i watch her especially on the slide cuz i almost always have to tell someone's kid to watch out for my kid, she's trying to come down the slide. we have the good metal slides too, nice high ones, she shoots off the end and i catch her, it's such fun for her. why should she have to wait an eternity for this kid to climb up when she was there first? nope nope nope, get off kid, go up the ladder, down the slide.
#189 of 203 Old 07-20-2007, 10:46 PM

they can do whatever they want as long as they are aware of the other kids around them (most especially small/younger children) and know their own limits (like jumping off of certain high things, but not others...)

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#190 of 203 Old 07-20-2007, 11:18 PM

It depends on the slide.

I don't allow them to climb up high slides with low walls. It didn't ever bother me--before I saw a child (and not a little kid either, obviously a fit, competant climber) momentarily lose her balance and because most kids are a little top heavy she fell straight down onto her head. It was an older slide with very low walls, and she was almost to the top. After seeing and hearing that crunch (she never regained consciousness before the EMTs got there, I don't know what happened to her) and hearing the kind of scream I heard from the poor mama I can't stomach it. But a lot of newer slides have higher sides so it's not as much of an issue.

Ironically, the only slides I feel comfortable with them climbing up are the tube slides, but I only allow them to do that when we're the only family at the playground and I can monitor who's where. (They already know to yell "clear!" at the top so that anyone in the tube has warning to start sliding down. )

I guess I'll have to deal with other mamas thinking I'm a UA violation towards my kids at the park...but even though this was years ago, when I was a nanny and not even a mom yet...I still will never forget that sickening sound or the mama screaming for as long as I live. I still feel a little ill when I see kids climbing on the low-wall slides, so I have to look away. But I consider that my problem and my preference rather than something that other mamas should allow/not allow. Obviously, what I witnessed was a rare occurance.
#191 of 203 Old 07-21-2007, 04:20 AM

let me kids climb up the slide, provided no one's coming down. It caters to their sense of exploration and individuality, I think, and opens up their creative, imaginative sides.

Yes, the slide was designed to be used in the one particular manner. But how many other things out there designed to be used one way are actually used several different ways? I can think of several:

Baking Soda (baking, cleanser, play dough, smell remover)
Diaper bags (who doesn't use these as a purse, too?)
Jump Ropes (Limbo anyone? How about a snake?)
Swings (now how many of you didn't try to wrap the swing around the top bar when you were kids, or use them as a means to climb up on top of the swing set? I'M SUPER MAN!

Let them explore and use their imaginations, I say. If it doesn't get in the way of someone else's playtime, then go for it.

Are there any Shel Silverstein fans out there? A phrase of his comes to mind while exploring this thought:

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, the listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can
be." ~ Shel Silverstein
#192 of 203 Old 07-21-2007, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natures Encore View Post
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, the listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can
be." ~ Shel Silverstein

I love this poem. Shel Silverstein is wonderful.

#193 of 203 Old 07-21-2007, 07:18 PM

At home he can climb up the slide all he wants.

At the park he can climb up the slide as long as the park isn't crowded and nobody is getting ready to come down.

At the indoor play area no climbing up because there are always kids waiting to come down. I hate it when we are there and there are half a dozen kids trying to go down and there is a kid climbing up.

When he was younger I was always a "up the stairs and down the slide" Mom because he didn't understand the variations of the rule.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#194 of 203 Old 07-22-2007, 11:38 AM

Yes!
Just the other day though, a mom was yelling at her 4ish yo DD to "Stop going up the slide! Look- now that little boy (my DS) thinks it's okay to go up the slide. I bet his mommy is not happy about that!"

Actually, I was fine and he knew how to climb up the slide loooong before he saw this girl do it!
#195 of 203 Old 07-22-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRitchie View Post
Yes!
Just the other day though, a mom was yelling at her 4ish yo DD to "Stop going up the slide! Look- now that little boy (my DS) thinks it's okay to go up the slide. I bet his mommy is not happy about that!"

Actually, I was fine and he knew how to climb up the slide loooong before he saw this girl do it!
I would have told the mom that!
#196 of 203 Old 07-22-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerchild View Post
It depends on the slide.

I don't allow them to climb up high slides with low walls. It didn't ever bother me--before I saw a child (and not a little kid either, obviously a fit, competant climber) momentarily lose her balance and because most kids are a little top heavy she fell straight down onto her head. It was an older slide with very low walls, and she was almost to the top. After seeing and hearing that crunch (she never regained consciousness before the EMTs got there, I don't know what happened to her) and hearing the kind of scream I heard from the poor mama I can't stomach it. But a lot of newer slides have higher sides so it's not as much of an issue.

Ironically, the only slides I feel comfortable with them climbing up are the tube slides, but I only allow them to do that when we're the only family at the playground and I can monitor who's where. (They already know to yell "clear!" at the top so that anyone in the tube has warning to start sliding down. )

I guess I'll have to deal with other mamas thinking I'm a UA violation towards my kids at the park...but even though this was years ago, when I was a nanny and not even a mom yet...I still will never forget that sickening sound or the mama screaming for as long as I live. I still feel a little ill when I see kids climbing on the low-wall slides, so I have to look away. But I consider that my problem and my preference rather than something that other mamas should allow/not allow. Obviously, what I witnessed was a rare occurance.
Breaking out of my silence here to dredge up my Parks and Recreation Administration Degree..........(dusty and unused for many years outside my own mind, but still, it counts for something!)

This brings up the entirely separate issue of equipment safety. Older slides are not designed with safety in mind, just speed and sliding. Period. They are not safe in any real manner unless used in an orderly, old-school fashion. Same goes for things like merry go rounds, basic swings, dome climbers, and the absolute worst in my opinion - those metal animal swings. They're horrible, and they are heavy enough to actually kill a child if the child is struck in the head by one in motion. But they're still out there, and will be for decades to come. It's expensive to remove old metal pieces, and even more expensive to install appropriate new surfacing and equipment.

If you look at more "modern", safety conscious playground design, the taller slides are typically enclosed and only found on equipment designed for older children (aged 3+), or are the spiralled slides with higher sidewalls. Shorter slides, those made specifically for todder aged/sized equipment, still have short sides but they don't have the height problem, so the short sides are ok. The rule is that age-appropriate equipment will not allow for fall greater than the height of the average child using it. So, for instance, platform heights, slide heights, etc. will be no more than about 36" on toddler play equipment, and roughly 4-5 feet on equipment for older children. Climbing UP a slide is considered expected and accepted use, especially for toddler equipment, and the sides are lower for parental involvement.

So, IF the equipment is being used inappropriately (older children climbing up the OUTSIDE of a structure that allows them to gain access to greater height, for example), then of course the fall could be more potentially dangerous. And no matter how well constructed the equipment is, if a child wants to find a way up something, they're going to find it.

You CAN find newer equipment in many parks that do not meet these basic standards - this typically happens if the city or locale that installed the play facility lacks a formal parks department, or if it's a private facility like a housing association or the like. You also find a lot of play areas with limited space that have the smaller sized equipment physically attached to the larger equipment via a bouncy bridge or the like. This does not violate accepted use standards, but it does put the burden of safety on the parent or adult that accompanies the child.

There list of safety guidelines is a mile long.
#197 of 203 Old 07-22-2007, 02:24 PM

I voted 'other'.

When no one is around they can go up the slide all they want, but when there are others playing on the grounds, they go down the slide only. To me, it is just a matter of respect to the other children and space.
#198 of 203 Old 07-22-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
It depends on the slide.

I don't allow them to climb up high slides with low walls. It didn't ever bother me--before I saw a child (and not a little kid either, obviously a fit, competant climber) momentarily lose her balance and because most kids are a little top heavy she fell straight down onto her head. It was an older slide with very low walls, and she was almost to the top. After seeing and hearing that crunch (she never regained consciousness before the EMTs got there, I don't know what happened to her) and hearing the kind of scream I heard from the poor mama I can't stomach it.
I had to grab hold of my child's shirt once, as he threatened to topple over a high-walled slide. It was very frightening, and I was of course very glad that I always climb up the slide with him. I hope to gawd that little girl is ok

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#199 of 203 Old 07-22-2007, 03:11 PM

I let ds go up (or, actually TRY to go up).
I tell him that people going down have the right of way. So if someone is waiting to go down, they go first. If there's a line of kids waiting to go down, he can't go up the slide until it's empty again.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#200 of 203 Old 07-22-2007, 04:17 PM

I wasn't saying that I blame the parks system...there's inherent "danger" in any play situation, whether it's running across your lawn or climbing on the monkey bars. And considering how hard it is for most parks and rec depts. to get funding, I don't blame them for not paying an astronomical amount to rip out the older equipment all at once, when as I said the really serious injuries are pretty uncommon (I hope).

I was just speaking as to *why* I don't let my kids climb up most slides. It doesn't have anything to do with me being a banal brute who wants to squash all semblance of freedom and creativity so much as the fact that I do not want to infect them with my fear, I can eat it with a lot of things, but the sight of any child climbing up one of those old metal slides or plastic ones that aren't enclosed still makes me taste vomit at the back of my throat. I don't want to overreact, so I just have that rule into place.

I wouldn't mind if DH let them climb up slides. I just do not want to see it. And it's hard to explain but I just can't allow that in my presence. When they look over and wave at me proudly, I want them to see their joy and pride reflected back, not horror. I just wanted to point out that there's more than one reason why some folks might not allow their kids to climb up the slide, that doesn't automatically mean they'll be a jerk to other kids or because they're a control freak or a bubble-mom.
#201 of 203 Old 07-22-2007, 04:19 PM

Absolutely! I help them!

Our OT pointed out that it's a great way to build up your core muscles.

We do it only if there aren't kids at the park trying to come down though. This is part of the reason I prefer odd times at the aprk.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#202 of 203 Old 07-22-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I wasn't saying that I blame the parks system...there's inherent "danger" in any play situation, whether it's running across your lawn or climbing on the monkey bars. And considering how hard it is for most parks and rec depts. to get funding, I don't blame them for not paying an astronomical amount to rip out the older equipment all at once, when as I said the really serious injuries are pretty uncommon (I hope).

I was just speaking as to *why* I don't let my kids climb up most slides. It doesn't have anything to do with me being a banal brute who wants to squash all semblance of freedom and creativity so much as the fact that I do not want to infect them with my fear, I can eat it with a lot of things, but the sight of any child climbing up one of those old metal slides or plastic ones that aren't enclosed still makes me taste vomit at the back of my throat. I don't want to overreact, so I just have that rule into place.

I wouldn't mind if DH let them climb up slides. I just do not want to see it. And it's hard to explain but I just can't allow that in my presence. When they look over and wave at me proudly, I want them to see their joy and pride reflected back, not horror. I just wanted to point out that there's more than one reason why some folks might not allow their kids to climb up the slide, that doesn't automatically mean they'll be a jerk to other kids or because they're a control freak or a bubble-mom.
After having witnessed what you did, I'd probably handle things differently with my own kids as well. I just wanted to take the opportunity to point out some basic playground tenants and equipment guidelines for folks to be aware of. I don't begrudge any parent the rules they have for their children unless those rules seriously infringe upon MY child's enjoyment of safe play. I'd love to start a separate playground safety thread, but I'd need to really dig out my info, and so much of it is a few years old that it's past dated and probably not quite as accurate as it should be anymore.
#203 of 203 Old 07-23-2007, 12:02 PM

Depends on how busy the park is. If there are only a few people there, I don't care about my kids climbing up the stairs. But if the park is busy, then I ask them to only go down.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page