What the *bleep* am I going to do with this?*Update* pg 4 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 93 Old 11-09-2007, 02:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just had to give my support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamsmom98 View Post
Well, I think that is plain rude, not to mention cowardly. They thought enough to want to spend some money on your child and you hand it off to the neighbors as a freebie? If I was your mil, I'd be hurt and angry at your total dishonesty and callousness toward a well-meaning gift.

If you don't want your child to have it (by the way, it is listed for children age 3 years and up, so your son is too young for it anyway), show some backbone and tell them honestly. Thank them for the thought and ask that they return it and get their money back as it just isn't something you want your child to have.
Tell them you appreciate the idea (they were just trying to do something nice, for gosh sake, not ruin your child) but that it just isn't the right time for such a toy. That you don't have the room for it at your place nor a safe area for it to be used and that your child is too young for such an active toy in any case.

And, if you son't like it for your child at your place, don't be a hypocrit and allow it at their place. Don't want your child to have the toy? Then don't allow him to have it anywhere.
First, I don't think you are being disshonest by keeping the peace. I would be hurt by her dissregaurd to your feelings and parenting style.

Second, I don't think they were 'trying to ruin your child' but sounds like they are blaitantly questioning your parenting stlye, and your rightfull discisions as a mother. I don't think 'doing something nice' is reason to drop all personal veiws on a subject that you obviously feel uncomfutable about. IF that were the case, many of us would be compromising our veiws.

Third, You are NOT a hypocrit by asking them to keep it at their place. It is not black and white. By asking them to keep it at their house you are doing a few things:
1) allowing DS to enjoy the toy, and still keeping within a safe invironement appropriate for his age.
2) Keeping the large toy out of your house.
3) allowing room to explain to DS that some toys are for ocasional use, and not everyday use. (this can be a special event at grandparents home, giving them special time with him, etc.)
4) Standing your ground with MIL that you will not bend just because she made a 'nice' effort, but at the same time not placing judgement or taking away her right as a grandmother.

Way to go, and hang in there, stand your ground, and you are right to be respectfull, after all, she is Ds's grandma, and as different as the veiws may be, there should be a bridge of love and commen ground.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#92 of 93 Old 11-09-2007, 03:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopin' Mama View Post
Yeah, since no one got hurt, it was pretty funny. Nana doesn't talk much because she is hard of hearing, but I imagine a string of cuss words going through her head.

Someone has video of it, the whole thing lasts maybe 90 seconds. The whole time he is yelling to the dog "Watch out". No one panned the camera to me, standing there looking horrified with my hand over my mouth.

I had already decided to get through that day, I was going to have some beers.
OMG, you can sell it on craigslist before Christmas and make a profit, then you can send the video to one of those awful TV shows and get $$s for it. Come to think of it, I'd pay $$s for the laugh of seeing 90 yr old run over by the Hummer. You could set up a website and charge people to view. C'mon - be creative, make some money out of this fiasco!!
#93 of 93 Old 11-09-2007, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Don't worry about it....he won't be able to reach the gas peddles. My 5 year old has a power wheels car and he drives it fine, but my 2.5 year old who is actually tall, can't reach the pedals correctly and can't put enough pressure on the gas pedals to even get the thing going....no worries....it won't be fun, he won't be able to do it!!!

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page