Why can't she like Polly Pocket and other froo froo stuff? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

#181 of 186 Old 07-30-2007, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marybethorama View Post
Okay, now that I REALLY have a problem with. Art is NOT a waste of time. It's important in so many ways. Now if the kid has no interest, fine. I have a kid who's not really into arts and crafts but we always have done SOME.

Also I think making a 3 yo practice writing her name is a bit much. UNLESS the 3yo has displayed an interest. None of my kids were interested at 3 but maybe some are?
That isn't al that unusual. Many parents would rather thier kids be doing academics than art. They would be happier with a worksheet than a painting. I have had parents ask me if I would be willing to teach a second language and have more computers available to the kids.

"Sure, if you donate the computers"

But, wanting a academic structured pre-school setting isn't that strange. I have at least two or three a year that ask me at the interview about this. We usually decide that my program isn't a good fit.

Thats why I prefer to work with teachers and their kids. We all seem to be on the same page, and it flows so nicely. Plus the parents all know each other, so it's like family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 186 Old 07-30-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy68 View Post
What I don't understand is how she can be so rigid and weird about what her child is doing but yet she feels no guilt in working all day and dropping her off at a daycare to be cared for? [snip] If she wants her child to be protected from life and from the world around her then IMHO she needs to be a SAHM. That's the only way she can come close to keeping her child out of the real world.
I don't want to start the whole WOHM/SAHM debate - but who is to day that she feels no guilt about this? Who is to say that their financial situation doesn't require two working parents? As well, perhaps it is important to her to show her daughter that women have choices other than staying at home and caring for children. I am not saying that I agree with this mother's philosophy, but can we please stop the privileged "If you don't like daycare, stay at home" argument?
#183 of 186 Old 07-30-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post
That isn't al that unusual. Many parents would rather thier kids be doing academics than art. They would be happier with a worksheet than a painting.
Ai yi yi.

I think doing art is right up there with reading to them as the best thing one can do with kids. I do know some parents don't want to do art projects at home so they send their kids to preschool and find other opportunities but I just can't imagine discouraging it altogether.

Like I said before, I'm not talking about forcing a child to do art projects, but making materials available and following their interests. One of my kids used to make me draw pictures of trees and envelopes-hundreds of them. So that's what we did. He's not really crafty but he is creative in other ways.

I find it a bit ironic that the mother in the OP is against her child doing art but she's so worried about commercial characters. That does sound controlling to me. I've known other parents like who are against commercial things AND against art. I'm not saying this woman is like them-I don't know here obviously but I must say I do wonder.

If you want a creative child, I sincerely believe the best way is to give them the opportunity to be creative.
#184 of 186 Old 07-30-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I don't want to start the whole WOHM/SAHM debate - but who is to day that she feels no guilt about this? Who is to say that their financial situation doesn't require two working parents? As well, perhaps it is important to her to show her daughter that women have choices other than staying at home and caring for children. I am not saying that I agree with this mother's philosophy, but can we please stop the privileged "If you don't like daycare, stay at home" argument?
ITA w/this. You summed it up well, so I will leave it at that.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#185 of 186 Old 07-30-2007, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
SHe HAS to work. She is also in school, so the income is very important.
#186 of 186 Old 07-30-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I agree with that and I also think that nextcommercial's daycare is a great place for kids

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page