Taking 3.5 month old camping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-25-2007, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wondering whether to take my DD camping. We will either go to a campground or camping to a more remote area. DH would love to go very remote with his jeep but I am leary about getting too remote and if something should happen to him, have no one around nor be able to drive the jeep out (it's not your regular stick shift but an old army jeep used for rock crawling). I have to go back to work at the end of the summer and would really like to get away. I am just worried about being too far from medical care with an infant.

What do you think? Anyone take a young baby camping at this age? Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2007, 10:47 PM

We tried taking DD tent camping when she was a little shy of a year old. It was a disaster. It was too hot, she couldn't sleep well and she couldn't play safely- too many rocks in the mouth, thorns on the bushes etc. I guess a 3 month old would mostly be carried, but I would still be extra careful about getting too hot, etc.

DD is 2.5 now. We are just now considering giving camping with her another try.

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:04 PM

I wouldn't have a problem taking a baby that age camping. I can't remember how young my daughter was when we took her the first time, but a baby is largely just going to be carried. I'm not sure how I would feel about it being remote. I think I'd ease into it more, but then again we have never gone really remote camping and just go to campgrounds in National Forests primarily. We love camping with our daughter and she always comes home having tried something new or gained a new skill.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We just took our 3 month old backpacking, and it was great! We found a shady spot, we spent some time in our mesh tent to avoid mosquitoes... It was fantastic!

Mama to Little Beedust.gif born April 2007 -

Expecting a new little one in Mid-October, after 3 1/2 years TTC

Old 07-26-2007, 12:44 AM

We have taken a 2 month old camping, no problems. Was very fun
Old 07-29-2007, 11:30 PM

You will find it much easier this year than next year when your baby is mobile I think. We went camping when ds was a little less than 4 mos old but it was tent camping in a field. Maybe just do the campground thing and go on walks in the daytime?
Have fun.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:00 AM

I took my ds when he was about 4 months, but it was to a BC Parks-type campground (with washrooms and actual campsites). We had a blast. I brought a "bouncy seat" which was a huge help so that he could sit in a safe place and look around while I was cooking at the stove, handling the fire, etc.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:28 AM

We go camping all the time with our almost 3 yr old DD... her first camping trip was at 7 months. My advice - based on my experience - is that getting away to the woods for camping will be awesome for you....

I found that going too remote was very unsettling for me (for the reasons you mentioned) and therefore it wasn't as relaxing a time for me... my DD of coarse was fine. I think that for your first trip with the babe staying a little closer to civilization may be a better choice, again, so YOU will be able to relax.

With a baby sooo young it will be much easier than say in a year... like someone else mentioned.... so enjoy the freedom you have now.

We brought the stroller which was very important so the baby could be put down outside of the tent and not directly on the ground. A swing is a good idea and of coarse the tent.

Have fun.
Nancy
Old 07-30-2007, 01:44 AM
mtm

we did car camping when our youngest was 4 months. It was great, I'd be nervous about remote camping esp if you are not comfortable driving the jeep.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We just went camping with our 3 month old as it was a lot of work. One of us was always having the hold the baby ( of course!) while the other was trying to get the tent up (pop-up trailer), do the cooking, cleaning etc and it felt like more work than usual. Usually dp and I can work together to get stuff done. The baby was fine, but with sleep deprivation common to parents of young babies it wasn't as fun as normal. We canceled our plans to go again this summer and will plan to go next summer instead. So while it wasn't a disaster, it wasn't as easy as it usually is and being home just seems easier this summer.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyPants View Post
You will find it much easier this year than next year when your baby is mobile I think.

We just came home from 5 days of car camping with our two kids. Our youngest is 15 months and he was always a challenge on this trip. We had to basically take turns watching him while the other did whatever camp chores needed to be done. He constantly wanted to run into the road, visit other campsites, etc. We still had a great time, and it was all due to our experience with camping with our kids. We've been taking our kids camping since our first was 4 months.

Here are my suggestions for good car camping experiences with kids.

*If you have an extra tent, set it up as a "play tent" for the kids. My daughter packed a bag of toys, books, crayons, etc. She brought all of this stuff into the play tent for her and her brother. We use our backpacking tent for the kids as a place to play. It was a great way to keep our toddler occupied, safe, and happy.

*For babies old enough to sit in high chairs, bring a travel chair that can clamp onto a picnic table. This worked out great for my son, as he always had a place to sit during mealtimes.

*If you have mummy bags that don't zip together, bring extra blankets to cover yourself while you night nurse. Sometimes, DS ended up in my sleeping bag, which was not too comfortable. Luckily, it wasn't very cold and I had a few blankets to cover myself with. Also, we sleep on ThermaRest pads, and I found a way to keep my and DS's pads from slipping apart.

Camping with kids is so much fun and it just gets better as they get older (minus the tough toddler years). My 5 year old had so much fun roasting marshmellows and looking at falling stars. She loved all of us sleeping in the tent, drinking hot chocolate in the morning, and taking hikes with us in the day. It was a good experience for all of us.

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2007, 03:20 AM

What are your concerns about the jeeping? We're a jeeping family, so I may be able to shed some light on this for you.

Are you all traveling in this jeep to your camp site? Or are you hauling it in with another vehicle? Sounds like you're driving in it if you're worried about driving it out?

Generally speaking, it is not wise to go out as a single vehicle unit unless you are prepared to fix any problems that arise on the trail. What kind of supplies does your husband carry with him? Tools? On board air? Welder? Winch? Spare tire? Does he have a CB to call for help if needed? I would not go out to a remote spot (so remote that you could not walk out in less then a day) without the above.

Is there anyway another vehicle could go along. Not only to help get you guys out if you get stuck, but in case someone gets hurt?

I would not worry about the baby at that age. It's easy to wear them, so you don't have to worry about them crawling into a fire, eating rocks, etc.

But, I do know what it's like to break down out in the middle of no where while off roading and be set back by hours, days even, when someone snaps a drive shaft or something. I wouldn't want to do that with a baby.

The extent of my effort when camping with a baby is nothing more then getting up to fix myself a drink. If the boys want to go play, that's fine, but if they get stuck, broken, lost, whatever.. then they better have the tools, friends, and GPS's to get them home, 'cause I won't hike it out with a 3 month old!

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We waited until 5 yrs old to take any of our children on longer hikes or camping or other remote adventures. I think under 5 they are too young for various reasons.

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
Old 07-30-2007, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I would not hesitate to bring my 3 month old camping, I would just make sure to take the proper precautions against bug bites, sunburn & heatstroke. Have fun!

ETA: Both of my children have been camping since they were infants, they are almost 3 and 1. They love camping.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Old 07-30-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy68 View Post
We waited until 5 yrs old to take any of our children on longer hikes or camping or other remote adventures. I think under 5 they are too young for various reasons.
I'm just curious what those may be, if you don't mind sharing. Perhaps it's just that my husband and I are such avid remote campers and are quite literally prepared to survive in the bush forever, but I can't imagine why it would be a problem if you are sufficiently prepared.

In fact, I'm taking her camping this week. Not *that* remote, because I'm using my moms car, but there still won't be washrooms, neighboring campers, fire wood piles, running water, etc. Our water will come from a water fall, we'll have to either bring in fire wood or gather it while we're up there, make a food cache, and of course pack out all our garbage. DD is 16 months old.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
I
In fact, I'm taking her camping this week. Not *that* remote, because I'm using my moms car, but there still won't be washrooms, neighboring campers, fire wood piles, running water, etc. Our water will come from a water fall, we'll have to either bring in fire wood or gather it while we're up there, make a food cache, and of course pack out all our garbage. DD is 16 months old.
Ahhhh my style of camping :

have fun!!
Old 07-30-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto l&a View Post
Ahhhh my style of camping :

have fun!!
Thanx, I'm excited too! :

User Tag List