The BEST gun toy! Update! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 149 Old 08-04-2007, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I absolutley LOVE this

I am not real keen on toy guns, but dh and I disagree and so I love this toy because its not like random "bang bang youre dead" you actually shoot the gun at a log with plastic bottles on it and they fly up in the air and break in half when shot.

Its great. Ds has been playing with it all day long.

Update: My dh has decided he would actually like to own a real gun-and I asked the gun store guy if he had information about safety with children and he said absolutley NO toy guns while having a real one in the house. I am still nervous about the real one-I have a little experience with shooting one a couple of times, but it is pretty deadly. Though I am nervous, I do belive my dh is correct on gun education rather than anti-gun. So the cool toy is gone! (And I think it is fair I give my ds another $20 to go find another toy at the store, LOL...since he only had that for like a week.) Have a nice day everyone!
Jenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 149 Old 08-05-2007, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My ds would love that. It's nice that it is more of a target practice sort of thing then a killing something sort of thing.

My ds has one toy that is a gun and a robot, each with sensors. If your gun gets hit, it vibrates and one of three lights turns on. Whichever device gets three hits first losses. It is a bit loud, though, but extra exciting because it is a moving target.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#3 of 149 Old 08-05-2007, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

I felt so unprepared for the gun thing. I thought my kids would be "peace loving" but it hit me hard when my child, who had never seen a gun picked up a spoon at age 2 and started shooting with it! I have resolved to be ok with guns as long as there is safety information alongside, including classes for dh and I. In fact, I think its safer than never being exposed to a gun at all! I cant imagine what my kid would do if he found a gun at his friends house and he had no idea how dangerous they are.
#4 of 149 Old 08-05-2007, 11:27 AM

That website is just fun all around.

Blessed to be married to my awesome husband since 2006.
Mama to Aidan Robert (Valentine's Day 2008) and Cora Ruth (3-13-2010) :
#5 of 149 Old 08-05-2007, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oh my gosh! That's WAAAAY better than a "bang bang you're dead" game! I would actually consider getting that.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#6 of 149 Old 08-05-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
I felt so unprepared for the gun thing.
My having 5 brothers was great preparation for raising a son. Guns, fire, fireworks, etc. Since my brothers are now all sweet adults who don't go around shooting things or burning down buildings, I am able to not overly worry about my ds doing those things.

#7 of 149 Old 08-05-2007, 02:48 PM

yeah, still could never buy any form of gun or allow my DS to own a toy like that.
#8 of 149 Old 08-05-2007, 03:16 PM

I wouldn't feel good about that in my home either.
#9 of 149 Old 08-05-2007, 08:41 PM

Sorry, I still think that the "best" gun toy is no gun toy.
#10 of 149 Old 08-05-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Sorry, I still think that the "best" gun toy is no gun toy.
Please don't ever apoligize for that statement.
#11 of 149 Old 08-05-2007, 10:03 PM

I'm also of the opinion that the best gun toy is no gun toy. I will not encourage my children to glorify violence.
#12 of 149 Old 08-06-2007, 12:42 AM

Guns are tools, in and of themselves there is nothing about them that glorifies violence. Condemning war games is one thing, but looking down your nose at target shooting is just silly.
#13 of 149 Old 08-06-2007, 12:43 AM

As my ds says, "Mo-om, it's just pretend!"

One of the reason I like gun toys over toy swords (which many anti gun mamas don't mind) is that the children are much less likely to accidently hurt each other. They stand far away from each other and yell "bang" rather than standing near each other swinging sticks. Works for me.

#14 of 149 Old 08-06-2007, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganeilis View Post
Guns are tools, in and of themselves there is nothing about them that glorifies violence. Condemning war games is one thing, but looking down your nose at target shooting is just silly.
What an interesting definition of "silly".

Guns definitely glorify violence. Otherwise, we wouldn't need the speed and loudness of them.

Swords are sexy, so I only let my sons play with them. :

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#15 of 149 Old 08-06-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
They stand far away from each other and yell "bang" rather than standing near each other swinging sticks.
I'm thinking you could teach them to do that same thing with sticks.

But, then...I'm simply anti-gun. Standing far from people, hurting them (pretend or otherwise) is not on my list of things to encourage in my kids.

If they're going to be encouraged to hurt ppl, they can at least look them in the eyes while they do it.

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#16 of 149 Old 08-06-2007, 01:21 AM

Another vote for the "no such thing as a good gun toy" camp.
#17 of 149 Old 08-06-2007, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesstutu View Post
I'm thinking you could teach them to do that same thing with sticks.
In which case the sticks would be toy guns.

#18 of 149 Old 08-06-2007, 01:47 AM

Those with an anti toy gun stance may find this interesting http://www.mothering.com/articles/gr...bang-bang.html

#19 of 149 Old 08-06-2007, 01:48 AM

Like the site says "I want one of those" LOL! Not sure I'd get one for dd though....

CPST
#20 of 149 Old 08-06-2007, 02:56 AM

I have read that article and disagree wholeheartedly with it. I will not let my son play guns, nor swords for that matter.
#21 of 149 Old 08-06-2007, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesstutu View Post
What an interesting definition of "silly".

Guns definitely glorify violence. Otherwise, we wouldn't need the speed and loudness of them.

Swords are sexy, so I only let my sons play with them. :
I don't get this at all... are you being facetious? It's hard to tell.

I don't get separating guns and swords, or bow and arrow... they're weapons, tools meant to injure game or opponents. Why in the world would one think that any particular weapon is any better or any worse when it comes to pretend play?

For the record, I have no problem with play weapons whether swords or guns.
#22 of 149 Old 08-06-2007, 03:35 AM

Quote:
I agree. I come from a long line of practical hunters. We fill our freezers, we use every piece of the animal. As a matter of fact, my mother still has (and uses!) a set of bone handled cutlery they had made from a moose one year.

Guns are tools. A piece of metal and/or wood designed to shoot a bullet at high speeds. What's questionable is what that bullet is being used for, and I got news for you, a bullet can't make that decision. The person holding the gun does.

I don't see how guns glorify violence. Violence comes in all forms. Tonight my daughter got hit in the head with a plastic car. I've seen anti-gun people spank their children. I've heard of objects, anything from cars, to plastic spoons, to rocks, being used as weapons. Violence, is violence, is violence.. it doesn't matter what object is being used, if an object at all.

I'm not anti-gun, but I am anti-violence. There IS a difference.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#23 of 149 Old 08-06-2007, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
I agree. I come from a long line of practical hunters. We fill our freezers, we use every piece of the animal. As a matter of fact, my mother still has (and uses!) a set of bone handled cutlery they had made from a moose one year.

Guns are tools. A piece of metal and/or wood designed to shoot a bullet at high speeds. What's questionable is what that bullet is being used for, and I got news for you, a bullet can't make that decision. The person holding the gun does.

I don't see how guns glorify violence. Violence comes in all forms. Tonight my daughter got hit in the head with a plastic car. I've seen anti-gun people spank their children. I've heard of objects, anything from cars, to plastic spoons, to rocks, being used as weapons. Violence, is violence, is violence.. it doesn't matter what object is being used, if an object at all.

I'm not anti-gun, but I am anti-violence. There IS a difference.
There's not one other thing on your list of possible "weapons" that you own for the sole purpose of causing injury or death.

Causing injury or death is violence.

Ergo, guns do equal violence.
#24 of 149 Old 08-06-2007, 04:38 AM

Quote:
This. I'd like own a gun for target shooting. I doubt I ever will, but if I did, it'd be kept locked separately from the ammo. So it wouldn't be a an option even for self defense. And I doubt live where I'd need to for protection from wild animals, and I don't hunt. So, no, it wouldn't be for violence.
#25 of 149 Old 08-06-2007, 09:00 AM

#26 of 149 Old 08-06-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polka hop View Post
To... cans and bottles sitting on a log? Oh, the humanity.
The poster to whom I was replying was not using her guns for shooting cans and bottles on a log.
#27 of 149 Old 08-06-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Then I guess, according to you, I'm silly.

I don't care what an article says, I'm not allowing gun toys into my home.

I am not interested in raising fodder for the military or prison industrial complexes.

If my kids want to hunt, we can discuss that, but there's absolutely no way that I would ever allow my children to play with something that resembles a handgun.
#28 of 149 Old 08-06-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwebbal View Post
I have read that article and disagree wholeheartedly with it. I will not let my son play guns, nor swords for that matter.
Just curious how you are going to stop him without shaming him if he really wants to pretend a stick, or his finger, or his penis is a gun? What about if he pretends a stick is a knife for cutting up something, then pretends a bigger stick is a bigger knife? How on earth do people control that (leaving aside why would they want to control their child's play)?

What about if your child wants to build a trebuchet? Would you deny him that fine physics experiment because it is a weapon for knocking down castle walls? (We built one out of tinker toys ). Would it be ok if he built it but then didn't try to knock down blocks with it?

I'm wondering how many of the anti-gun crowd have gotten through age 5 without their children (especially boys) playing with guns? I'm sure some have because I'm sure there are boys with a temperament that don't find guns appealing but most seem to.

#29 of 149 Old 08-06-2007, 01:06 PM

Oops... misquoted
#30 of 149 Old 08-06-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
I'm wondering how many of the anti-gun crowd have gotten through age 5 without their children (especially boys) playing with guns? I'm sure some have because I'm sure there are boys with a temperament that don't find guns appealing but most seem to.
Yesterday we went to our county fair. There was a kid's ride with swings that were kind of submarine-shaped with two seats in each swing -- one facing forward and one backwards. Each seat had a black pipe attached that could be aimed at the other swings as a pretend gun.

Honestly, I didn't even notice the "gun" until after my 4.5 year old son was on the ride or I would have steered him toward a different one. As it started turning, he yelled, "Hey mom, what's this supposed to be?"

I had to TELL my son that it was a pretend gun -- he didn't have a clue because he's never been exposed to them. We don't watch tv or movies with guns. His preschool doesn't support weapon play.

I don't believe that making guns out of everything is innate in children. A child who has never seen or heard of a gun isn't likely to start pointing his legos and yelling "Bang, bang, you're dead!" And the idea of a child using his penis as a pretend gun is really nauseating to me.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page