Kid-and-stuff transport idea for airports - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 08-22-2007, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got back from a trip with two kids (and DH) across the country and thought I'd share something cool we figured out. We flew, and brought the carseat on the plane for the 2yo. In the interest of having enough to keep us all busy on the flight, plus transporting stuff, we had the following with us as we walked through the large airports in Chicago and Seattle:

1. Chicco umbrella stroller
2. Diaper bag backpack
3. Grownup backpack (medications, toiletries, my purse, etc.)
4. Convertible carseat
5. Kids' rolling suitcase
6. Sling

In the past, we've had the carseat balanced on the big tank stroller, the baby in the sling, the older kid pulling the little suitcase, and someone wearing two backpacks. It was awkward. This time, we didn't bring the big stroller and thought it would be even worse, but we were headed for a cruise and wouldn't have room for the tank stroller, so we brought the little one.

When I went to balance the carseat on the stroller, I realized that it fit just perfectly into the seat of the stroller. Like, wedged in there! If I tipped the stroller forward, it barely moved. So then I tried wrapping the sling around the carseat and stroller to see if it would hold the carseat in, and whadya know?! It did!

Then I realized I had no way to carry the 2yo, with the sling wrapped around the carseat. I looked at it carefully, put the 2yo in there, cinched the sling tightly around her waist, and tried wiggling the stroller. Not a budge from the carseat!

So, I took one of the backpacks from DH and pushed the stroller, carseat attached, through the airport. I wouldn't have taken my eyes off it for a second with the 2yo in there, nor would I have gone very fast, but to get from point A to point B without breaking our backs, this was AWESOME. I thought I'd share it with you all in case it might help you travel through an airport sometime. Here's a picture.

(In advance to all who might post that it wasn't safe, my hand was on the carseat at all times, and DD was always in my line of sight. She was also tipped back so she couldn't slide out. No worries, we were cautious!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page