Santa Claus: yes or no? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Santa Claus: yes or no
Yes 164 61.19%
No 75 27.99%
Other (not sure of what an other might be, but I'm sure someone has one!) 29 10.82%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And why or why not?
#2 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 12:43 AM

Yup we do Santa. We grew up with him and wish to pass the tradition down to our children. We teach that Christmas is a time for family and charity.
#3 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 12:51 AM

We haven't done Santa yet and my boys are both still young. I guess if we're going to do it we'll do it this year. To me it isn't super important either way (weird I know), dh and I will probably talk about it the closer we get to Christmas.
#4 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 12:51 AM

Yes there is a Santa at our house... However, he just puts candy canes on the christmas tree, and brings the stockings. No way am I letting a fat old elf get credit for our hard earned money. If it fits in the stocking, Santa brings it. Otherwise... nope.

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#5 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 12:51 AM

My theory is "Santa brings socks" I was raised with Santa and my husband was not. We are Christian so we will be hopefully raising our child with a different focus on the holiday....but it's difficult to cut all of the cultural references out. So, Santa can come and bring socks and the other smaller gifts, while any large gifts will come from family. We'll see how it pans out as she gets older.

Mama to a goofy : girl and babycakes :
#6 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 12:54 AM

Other.
Have not given it any thought.

DS 6 DD 8
#7 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 12:56 AM

We don't do Santa. To us that's not what the holiday is about. We're Christians and we choose to focus on the birth of Christ instead.

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#8 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 12:59 AM

yep
#9 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 12:59 AM

Yup. Because its fun. Some of my most vivid memories are of early christmas mornings sneaking down with my brothers to see what Santa brought us. Something amazing about that possibility that all your dreams could come true.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#10 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 12:59 AM

Yes. I think magic is wonderful

-Angela
#11 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 01:03 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
i have such fond memories of Christmas and Santa! i want my kiddos to have a piece of that
however, my mom never ( that i can remember) used Santa in the "bad" way (i.e. "you better be a good girl or Santa will not come and put you on the naught list") i truly hope to be the same way

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#12 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug View Post
i have such fond memories of Christmas and Santa! i want my kiddos to have a piece of that
however, my mom never ( that i can remember) used Santa in the "bad" way (i.e. "you better be a good girl or Santa will not come and put you on the naught list") i truly hope to be the same way
We had friends who had a son that Santa "didn't visit" one year because he was "bad" during the Christmas Eve service at church :
#13 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 01:14 AM

No. To me, that would be lying. I have never liked Santa anyways. Actually the whole American Christmas thing is rather unappealing. There are other ways to make Christmas magical.
#14 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug View Post
my mom never ( that i can remember) used Santa in the "bad" way (i.e. "you better be a good girl or Santa will not come and put you on the naught list") i truly hope to be the same way
My parents never did that either.

I voted no.

I clearly remember being very skeptical of the whole thing from a very early age. My parents kept trying to 'keep the magic alive' or whatever, and I eventually (at age 4) had to basically trick them into giving it away. I did not enjoy being lied to, I felt betrayed and tricked and etc.

I don't lie to my kids. I think there is plenty of magic around that is not fictional. A butterfly from a brown dried up thing that used to be a caterpillar? Now that is magical.
#15 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

The lying thing is what gets me...Santa is fun, but I can't imagine lying to them for fun, you know? This is a case where I believe "to each his own"... I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.
#16 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 01:27 AM

No. I don't want to lie to my kids. I remember pretending to believe in santa to make my family happy. I've heard too many people say they were angry or sad when they found out the truth. I've heard people say that it takes away the magic if you don't do santa, but I want my children to know the real magic of Christmas - the kindness of people, the way it changes people for the good - even if it's for a short time. Besides my kids have witnessed birth - or as we say in our home - true magic!
#17 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 01:30 AM

I voted that annoying other. : I never believed in Santa (confirmed by my mom). She said Santa was an "idea" but that we were never told that he brought gifts. I'm not sure I agree with that since my brother believed in him. Anyway, she completely went over board with our stockings. We had three foot tall stockings that were FULL.

* WARNING - The following is just my own rant
Over the past couple of years I have struggled with what to think of Santa/Christmas now. I am not religious. I am not close to my family and this year I may not get together with family simply because it is a holiday. I do not want a holiday family. If my family does not want anything to do with me the rest of the year, why would I want to get together on what should be a special holiday? I would like to find something special to DH/me and go from there. Last year the stockings were hung, but we used them to put a couple of gifts from each other. We kept it very small. I am much more comfortable with that.
/rant

I'm not sure what we will do by the time we have children.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#18 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 01:32 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheartedmama View Post
We had friends who had a son that Santa "didn't visit" one year because he was "bad" during the Christmas Eve service at church :
that is so sad

i dont see it as a lie IMO... i see it as imagination and allowing it to wander

but i can see how it would be viewed the other way... to each their own i right

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#19 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 01:32 AM

Yes, with hesitation. We were not going to, and my dd picked it up all on her own. My grandparents encourage it. For their sake (the kids and the grandparents who are very old and precious to us) we are going to do it. But we are not going overboard with it, either.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#20 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 01:35 AM

Yes, but only because of the magick of the season and tradition that was passed down from my grandmother. Santa doesn't get credit for really awesome gifts or anything like that. He writes a really personal letter that the kids usually figure out is from me when they're around 7 or 8. (I've been doing it for years, did it for my cousins when they were younger) He leaves little touches around the house.

Santa evolves here. One year he couldn't find a pen and he borrowed the computer instead and left the letter on Wordpad. Then he changed all the screensavers on the 3 computers to alternate red and green and said christmasy things on them.

We do change some things, like we don't actually call it christmas. We call it Yule and we do celebrate Yule.So we do quite a few things for the winter season.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#21 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 01:42 AM

Yes, because I love the tradition and I'm glad my parents "lied" to us! I wasn't bitter at all when I found out the truth and in fact, I wish I still believed!

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#22 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 01:47 AM

Yes, because I'm a nostalgic sap. But he only fills stockings. No big gifts left here.
#23 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 01:58 AM

I answered "no". I'm split on this. I was raised with Santa & I have memories of getting excited & waiting up for him & being surprised about stockings, etc. & then after I knew the truth (about 5 1/2 yrs old), I pretended to believe so that younger sis's could hold onto that excitement for longer.

But I also have ideas that I want to teach a more genuine type of excitement about the holiday season & giving in general that won't be a fallacy (even if it was exciting before I knew the truth). Its challenging to explain.

I prefer them learning something about the general *spirit* of giving & how magical & spiritual that can be when you make the time & effort to do it & the mysterious feeling in the air around the whole holiday season in general... like families/friends getting together after a while of not visiting & the silence & feelings of peace that many people get excited about. Or the feeling of giving & helping people communicate & celebrate for whichever reasons they celebrate. & the traditions, whichwever they seem to love, I want to introduce many things then see which ones my family feels closest with. My sister has the tradition that they watch the whole Star Wars series including the remake! One of my other sisters spends a day with her dd making cookies & decorating the house. How gorgeous.

I'm not a mom yet, so I have time to ponder, this is how I feel now. I probably won't go too far into the Santa concept. I may introduce him as a *spirit* of sorts & leave it to stockings & giving, etc. However, I will try hard to explain Santa in a way that is accepting & respectful so if my kids friends do believe, mine will know that having that belief is cool too.

Ahhaha... all of you who have kids already are laughing at my naivete... I can feel it

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
#24 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by number572 View Post
I prefer them learning something about the general *spirit* of giving & how magical & spiritual that can be when you make the time & effort to do it & the mysterious feeling in the air around the whole holiday season in general... like families/friends getting together after a while of not visiting & the silence & feelings of peace that many people get excited about. Or the feeling of giving & helping people communicate & celebrate for whichever reasons they celebrate. & the traditions, whichwever they seem to love, I want to introduce many things then see which ones my family feels closest with. My sister has the tradition that they watch the whole Star Wars series including the remake! One of my other sisters spends a day with her dd making cookies & decorating the house. How gorgeous.

Ahhaha... all of you who have kids already are laughing at my naivete... I can feel it
I don't think it's niavete. It's what we shoot for actually, but you said it beautifully!
#25 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 02:15 AM

I answered "other" because ds is only 21 months and we're not sure what we're going to do yet. I'm leaning toward doing Santa stuff, but making it clear that Santa is just a pretend character we use to make Christmas more fun.

I'm really uncomfortable with the rampant consumerism and greed at Christmas, and I kind of feel like telling ds that this man exists only to bring him all kinds of presents feeds into this. Dh and I have talked about having a family tradition where we each make one gift for each other, and it has to be home-made.
#26 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 02:20 AM

Yes, because it's fun.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#27 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 02:31 AM

No Santa here. We don't celebrate Christmas. We celebrate Yule or the first day of Winter.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#28 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 02:44 AM

I voted other because we, my dh and I don't talk about Santa, I mean Jesus is the reason for the Season. The only way that we explain the archtype of Santa is that he represents the three wise men and their gives to Jesus.

The ONLY reason that Santa is even a word in our household is b/c the ILs' are freaking bent on making him the reason for Santa.

Case in point, I have actually had to physically tussel with the SIL as she tried to take my dd out of my arms to have her sit on Santas lap. She thinks that we are being "unrealistic" about Santa b/c "sooner or later they will hear about him from their friends"....WTF!!!
#29 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 02:55 AM

As a Christian we do not celebrate the Christmas season as a Santa day. We do not 'do' Santa at all in associating with Christmas. We do a fun day on St. Nick day (I think it is Dec 10) and learn all about the real St Nickolas.

But for Christmas, we celebrate the birthday of our Saviour. And everything we do is focused on Him. As a child, we never did Santa and I have never regretting it for one moment. My children have 'magical' Christmases without any reference to Santa and I am glad.

Besides, if it were not a spiritual conviction, I would still hate the idea of lying to my children (and telling them that Santa is real and delivers gifts to all the good children of the world and that sort of stuff is lying to me since it is not true) and the commercializing of it. Making Christmas all about gimme, gimme, gimme and what I can get.

We do have gifts for my children, and we do enjoy opening them, and the children do tell us things they would like to have (not, "Hey, for Christmas I want...", but "Someday, can you get me..."). We also have gifts for the adults (it IS a birthday party after all!). But we do not focus on the gifts, they are just a part of our entire celebration.

Anyways, that is my reasons for no Santa.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#30 of 160 Old 09-20-2007, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnmom View Post
Case in point, I have actually had to physically tussel with the SIL as she tried to take my dh out of my arms to have her sit on Santas lap. She thinks that we are being "unrealistic" about Santa b/c "sooner or later they will hear about him from their friends"....WTF!!!

Do you mean DD... b'c I could truly commisserate with your "dh" giving an objection about HAVING to take a sit on some weird guy's lap, yk?!?!

Well, actually I could commiserate with your DD as well... if she objected.

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page