Moms of Many October support thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 147 Old 10-01-2007, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I didn't see a thread for the new month so I figured I'd start one.

I am so glad that autumn is here. Crisp fall leaves and warm socks and snuggling on the couch and warm mugs of tea... What are you all looking forward to for autumn? How do you all celebrate the upcoming holidays? What special challenges do you face as a mom of many to make holidays memorable for everyone?

Here is last month's thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 147 Old 10-01-2007, 09:36 PM

Subbing :-)

How do all of your handle the holidays with yoru childre. I only have 3, but I am the only family member with so many kids and I don't want people to feel they need to buy each of the kids gifts. We have so many toys, I wouldn't mind if the entire family went in a few bucks each and got a zoo membership or something, or if they wanted to buy toys/clothing buy it from a once upon a child type store... But I dont know how to ask without sounding like I expect people to get them something... yanno?
#3 of 147 Old 10-02-2007, 12:38 PM

Hmm, maybe something along the lines of:

"With a family as big as ours at Christmas, I want to make sure that no one feels pressure to get toys for all of our kids. We have so many toys, and with three kids, it can really pile up. If you were planning to buy something, the kids really like the toys at _________ (name of store). A few of the things they've been asking for are... They could also use some clothes in these sizes...

One thing our family could really use is a zoo membership or a membership to some other fun place for kids. The kids really enjoy it when we go to ______, and a membership would make that easier to do."

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#4 of 147 Old 10-02-2007, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yippee! A new thread!

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#5 of 147 Old 10-03-2007, 06:20 AM

I don't what we are going to do for the holidays this year.We just moved to HI so we are going to be on our own.Its kinda exciting.We get to create our own traditions for the first time since we got married.
I am so excited to get the Halloween stuff out, its the start of my holiday season.Yippeee! I like celebrating each season and decorating for it and hope that my kids will look back and remember just like I do about my own childhood.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#6 of 147 Old 10-03-2007, 07:21 AM

Yeah, still here.

StormySar, I kwym. I have an extended family member- my dad's best friend- who is always extremely generous and gives the children 20 pounds each for birthdays and Christmas, which seems like a small fortune in this day and age. And I'm pregnant with my fourth I don't know what to do- they now have grandchildren so at least I can reciprocate with the gifts, but just - bless, you know? It's such a lovely thing to do and so hard on us at the same time.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#7 of 147 Old 10-03-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersmom View Post

I don't what we are going to do for the holidays this year.We just moved to HI so we are going to be on our own.Its kinda exciting.We get to create our own traditions for the first time since we got married.
I am so excited to get the Halloween stuff out, its the start of my holiday season.Yippeee! I like celebrating each season and decorating for it and hope that my kids will look back and remember just like I do about my own childhood.
How exciting to celebrate it at the beach!

I'm jealous of Halloween. Kids usually end up trick or treating in winter coats around here.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#8 of 147 Old 10-04-2007, 10:00 AM

Is it October? No wonder there were no new posts on the old thread :

I like autumn too and I hope this one will be dry and crisp not damp and soggy!

One of my mum's friends always gives our family money at Christmas - she sends a cheque in her card. She also gives the boys and dd money when we see her which she tells them not to buy sweets with It's what she wants to do so I accept graciously and make sure I keep in touch with her at other times during the year.

Some people like to give and others don't: being related or not doesn't seem to matter.

For Christmas day we stay at home and have a lazy day then visit or are visited on Boxing Day. The ILS have a whole going out for Christmas lunch thing going on with my SIL and have done for years and we couldn't afford to pay for 4 of us let alone more now that the family is growing.
#9 of 147 Old 10-04-2007, 05:14 PM

DH just rushed Claire to the ER last night.

The girls tried on their costumes this evening. Claire looked so cute wagging her tiger tail. She fell asleep with it on and woke up screaming! She is itchy and full of hives. She's also having an asthma attack. DH had just left to go to the grocery store so I nebbed her while waiting for him to rush home.

She didn't have to stay long in the ER. They nebbed her again and she perked up for them. She's home on steroids and did well all night. DH and I didn't sleep well because we were in and out of her room checking on her. (Sophia's been up since 4:30 just because so I'm ready for a nap.)

I called her lung doctor today to see if he wants Claire to be back on her steroid inhaler. She has an app't with him on Tuesday so that works out well as a follow up.

It's just crazy to think about how fast things change for her.

#10 of 147 Old 10-04-2007, 07:10 PM

What a fright. I hope you all rest better tonight
#11 of 147 Old 10-05-2007, 06:48 AM

Lisa. I'm so glad your family dealt with it so quickly and calmly, and so sorry that you have to Our Isaac has asthma too, but I hope we've finally found a combination of medication that controls it.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#12 of 147 Old 10-05-2007, 11:01 AM

How scarey, Michelle! I'm so sorry you had to go through that.

Well, morning sickness is easing up here. We need to collect the rest of the pears and apples outside. It's finally starting to look like autumn...YAY!

Orthodox Mama
#13 of 147 Old 10-06-2007, 03:16 AM

Is it time to start thinking about holidays already:. I'm just not ready for that. I have been so busy the last few weeks and there is no end in sight.
#14 of 147 Old 10-06-2007, 06:39 AM

Michelle how scary for you all.I hope you get the right balance of meds.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#15 of 147 Old 10-06-2007, 11:25 AM

She's doing so much better. We just have to avoid the triggers. The hard part is predicting those triggers sometimes. We've known about her food issues and thought that's all we had to worry about.

I'm glad the site is back up!

#16 of 147 Old 10-06-2007, 03:44 PM

Can I join in here? I don't post much, but lurk often and this seems like the thread for me!

I have three little ones, ages 4.5, 3, 15 months and baby #4 is on it's way, due in mid-March. I work full-time outside the house and we have a super busy schedule, so life gets pretty crazy!

Jenn, momma to 4 busy bees
#17 of 147 Old 10-06-2007, 03:59 PM

Kiltiesgirl

I bet your life gets hectic. Mine is insane sometimes and I don't even have an outside home job.
You know what? It's Saturday and we didn't lose Isaac today : How cool is that, and how pathetic is it that I'm this proud? Admittedly, he was locked inside the NCT nearly-new sale with security guards on every door for 8 hours, but still...

#18 of 147 Old 10-06-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltie Girl View Post
Can I join in here? I don't post much, but lurk often and this seems like the thread for me!

I have three little ones, ages 4.5, 3, 15 months and baby #4 is on it's way, due in mid-March. I work full-time outside the house and we have a super busy schedule, so life gets pretty crazy!

WELCOME!

I have girls 6,4,2, and nearly 6 months. I also work full time out of the home.

#19 of 147 Old 10-06-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Kiltiesgirl

I bet your life gets hectic. Mine is insane sometimes and I don't even have an outside home job.
You know what? It's Saturday and we didn't lose Isaac today : How cool is that, and how pathetic is it that I'm this proud? Admittedly, he was locked inside the NCT nearly-new sale with security guards on every door for 8 hours, but still...

no,no,no you must give us more details than that!

#20 of 147 Old 10-07-2007, 04:09 AM

No, seriously. We locked him inside a sports hall for eight hours with a security guards on every door and he didn't get lost (The NCT Nearly new sale is a national institution- people with money and clean childrens clothes sell them to people like me, and it makes money for the NCT It's our equivalent of your Bradley classes, but with breastfeeding support and a campaigning wing as well and less of the husband-coached bit.
The saga is that for three weeks running, every time we took Isaac out anywhere he'd drift off to look at something more interesting than his family, look up, realise that we weren't right next to him and decide that at 7, he's a big boy and can handle this himself. So once he decided that the sensible thing to do was to sit by the car, once he decided to go to the shop we were going to next, and once, bless him, he just sat on the floor and cried. I have to say, that made it a lot easier to find him. : So for the last six weeks or so, every time we take him out in public he's wearing one of his huge collection of tie-dye t-shirts with my mobile number written on his arm, just in case we need to describe him to a passer by or he does it again.
Bless. And in this house, it's ALWAYS Isaac I love him, but he drives me insane on a regular basis.
On the bright side, I got the new bean a moses basket to nap in, a handful of clothes (all unsuitably-sized newborn sleepsuits, but they were cute and cheap) and Skye a huge, huge, huge wardrobe full of clothes for 60 quid, and a big, beautiful nursing cushion. Which I love. I can snuggle it and cuddle it all night long and rest my head and knees and bump on it and it's wonderful I figured that as it looks like I might be tandem nursing this time, at least occasionally, it might come in handy.

#21 of 147 Old 10-07-2007, 11:33 AM

Wow what a haul Helen! Ours is next week but I'll have to do some training and get myself in the zone before I get there; last time it was all a bit pointy-elbows and I wasn't in that kind of mood!

I did peruse the clothes rails where it was quieter and find a purple tiered Boden skirt for Amelia and a green tropical fruit t shirt which she has worn to death. And I caught up with loads of people I hadn't seen for a while which was good.

I'm glad you've had an Isaac-full weekend to keep your blood pressure down

Welcome Kiltie Girl
#22 of 147 Old 10-07-2007, 01:32 PM

Saying hi, subbing, etc., etc.

Today is my due date... I'm clearly going post dates. Interesting. First time for that. Although I was induced with #1 and #2.... I had a homebirth with #3 and same midwife/homebirth planned for #4. Was a few days before my due date with #3. My contractions are not lasting for long stretches in the evening, but they are getting a bit stronger... Have to make red rasberrry tea today!

I have been so busy with the other three, I'm thinking I haven't let myself relax enough to let the right hormones release.

But with fall, and new school-year, getting last minute things for the new baby, dealing with my crazy/busy riot-boy toddler, signing up for the Y (we got our family membership scholarship, yea!!!), checking out/planning for field trips, organizing our curriculum, getting dentist appointments, making sure we have cold-weather clothes/shoes, getting the whole place cleaned and tidy, multiple birthdays! .... goodness... I joked with a friend recently that sometimes I forget how many human beings are in this household that need to be managed. And that's just with THREE kids so far!

I could not live without my dayplanner/notebook.

I finally ordered my henna kit and did my own belly (for my first time ever using it). I have to remember to post pictures online. It looks pretty cool, even though I'm all type A perfectionist with my art and thought it would be horrible and blurry from smudging.

I am so looking forward to Halloween!! And the cold weather. I have been so hot this summer and it is STILL hot! I love the fall and the leaves and the apple cider and pumpkins and pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread!

I am looking forward to having a brand new lil tiny mushy butt and using my cold-weather fleece pouch on Halloween! Think I could incorporate a new-babe in pouch into a costume????
#23 of 147 Old 10-07-2007, 02:17 PM

Absolutely. Go as a penguin, it would be adorable

#24 of 147 Old 10-07-2007, 02:24 PM

I dressed my ds in tie-dye for years so I could find him when we went out in public.
#25 of 147 Old 10-07-2007, 07:20 PM

Oh Molly! Get going on that costume idea! I'm useless in that dept.

#26 of 147 Old 10-07-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclisa View Post
Oh Molly! Get going on that costume idea! I'm useless in that dept.
Oh, me too. I don't know, the pouch is green. Maybe I'll try paint my face green and try to find green clothes at Goodwill and say the baby is a ....

wait for it.....

pea in a pod!!!!

First, he or she has to come out. I am rooting for late Monday, anytime Tuesday (taking our house guest to the airport early Monday, ). Please send me birth vibes ladies!!!
#27 of 147 Old 10-08-2007, 12:37 AM

Well, it's early Monday here now. I think you should have a baby today

#28 of 147 Old 10-08-2007, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieB View Post
I dressed my ds in tie-dye for years so I could find him when we went out in public.
My kids are in the same colors and when I dress them in something that MIL sent I can't find them all day!Who was that kid that just went UP the slide?Who is that hanging off the edge?Oh crud ! He's mine!Where is... oh hes right in front of me.

Congrats on not losing Isaac.That is a feat when they want to drop off the radar even if it took him being locked in a room with security.

Easy quick labor vibes Molly.
DH is finishing up putting in a dishwasher for me.He is supposed to do the dishes if I get dinner done by 6.Now that it is his turn he sees the need for a dishwasher.LOL At least I won't be up late doing dishes.Now if I could just figure out an easier way to do groceries....

#29 of 147 Old 10-08-2007, 09:58 AM

Oh man..I went to a baby shower this weekend with all first time yuppie mothers. Sheesh. Can I tell you the sheer amount of stuff she received?? It was unreal. But we had fun, and there was another mom there with 5 kids, so that was neat to meet someone else IRL.

Molly--best wishes for a nice, easy delivery.

Ok, kids are eating breakfast and have to get ready for school. I just want to go back to bed....
#30 of 147 Old 10-08-2007, 01:52 PM

Yours have school today?

Mine are out because of Native American Day. (Columbus Day for the rest of the nation)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page