Fess up, do you have a thing about sippy cups and older toddlers/preschoolers? - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Sippy cups for two year olds
despise them! 42 8.24%
Don't hate them, but why not a cup? 89 17.45%
Get a life, who cares? 207 40.59%
I use them 104 20.39%
I love them, as much as I love my Starbucks adult sippy 68 13.33%
Voters: 510. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#331 of 332 Old 02-18-2008, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I admit it, my three year old still uses a sippy cup. Not the baby type ones, one with a straw type lid. He doesn't run around with it, and he can use a normal cup at restaraunts, it's just easier to be out and about and have some portability. We do use regular water bottle type ones too. And I don't feel bad about that at all.

Mindy, sorry you're feeling unwelcome. When I first came on here I had never seen many of the ideas presented. It was a little overwhelming and I wasn't sure I belonged. But I've stayed and learned so much. The main point I think these mamas are trying to make is that these forums are based on Mothering magazine, and therefore are attachment parenting based. Extended breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering, etc...that's what it's all about. I would just urge you to keep an open mind as you're browsing, and to respect that fact that the moms on here are passionate about their parenting beliefs. We get enough flak outside of these boards for many of our choices, and shouldn't have to face critisicm here too. Before this board I had never considered BFing beyond even a year, and now I'm still happily nursing an 18 month old, and plan to continue for as long as DD and I still want to.

Welcome to MDC, sorry you got out on the wrong foot. You don't need to agree with everything, just be aware that there are very strong opinions here. Hope you stick around!
#332 of 332 Old 02-18-2008, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm putting on my mod hat to take a moment to remind everyone that Mothering Magazine has very specific ideals that we as members of its message boards must uphold in our posts here at MDC. Mothering's Core Value and Purpose -- Natural Family Living:
Quote:
Mothering.com is the website of natural family living and advocates natural solutions to parenting challenges. We host discussion of nighttime parenting, loving discipline, natural birth, homebirth, successful breastfeeding, alternative and complementary home remedies, informed consent, and many other topics from a natural point of view. We are not interested, however, in hosting discussions on the merits of crying it out, physical punishment, formula feeding, elective cesarean section, routine infant medical circumcision, or mandatory vaccinations. We do not tolerate any type of discrimination in the discussions, including but not limited to racism, heterosexism, classism, religious bigotry, or discrimination toward the disabled. We will not host discussions that involve explicit sexual references and are cautious about discussions on volatile topics such as abortion, religion, and race. See statement of purpose below.

MDC serves an online community of parents, families, and parent, child and family advocates considering, learning, practicing, and advocating attachment parenting and natural family living. Our discussions concern the real world of mothering and are first and foremost, for support, information, and community. Mothering invites you to read and participate in the discussions. In doing so we ask that you agree to respect and uphold the integrity of this community. Through your direct or indirect participation here you agree to make a personal effort to maintain a comfortable and respectful atmosphere for our guests and members.
We need to support, advocate and foster an MDC community where living naturally is the norm, because that is Mothering's belief and purpose as both a magazine and a website.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page