I hate "education"- rant! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 48 Old 10-16-2007, 04:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A lot of homeschoolers are looking for playmates for their dc too. Maybe check out local groups to see what the possibilities are.

It seems like you haven't really thought about homeschooling as something that is realistic for you, more like you start to think about it and then something cuts it off like "no it wouldn't work because she needs a lot of social time" or "other homeschoolers would scoff at her Bratz lunchbox"... Those are not really obstacles to homeschooling. Lots of homeschoolers have dc who need a lot of social time and will be just as happy as you to get the kids together. I personally wouldn't bat an eye at the lunchbox! My ds wears spider-man sneakers and I couldn't care less if anyone doesn't like them!

I like mammal mama's idea of combining your need for a babysitter with visiting other homeschooling families. It would likely cost less than a babysitter too.

I think if school's working for someone and their kids then that's great. But it doesn't seem like you are at all satisfied with the school situation and that you are not likely to be any time soon. It's not as if you just have problems with kindy or the teacher, it's the whole system you don't like and I am definitely with you there. Best of luck finding a solution. I'm sure there is one, but it might not be obvious at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 48 Old 10-16-2007, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needle in the Hay View Post
I like mammal mama's idea of combining your need for a babysitter with visiting other homeschooling families. It would likely cost less than a babysitter too.
Yes! In our case, being without a car during weekdays while dh's got it at work, it's such a convenience having 2 of dd's friends brought over 2 days a week. I do feel a need for them to bring their own food -- since this is a regular thing, two 11-hour periods a week. I'm willing to not make any money (as my friend is very low-income); I just can't afford to be out any money.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#33 of 48 Old 10-16-2007, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the moral support! I feel much less upset about this issue now that my PMS is clearing, but I am likely going to change the school she attends. It's not a perfect option, perhaps, but I think it will be better. The school I'm leaning towards has administrators who I jive with. They do assess kids and assign homework in older grades- but a lot of the pressure to do this comes from the parents, not the teachers or administrators.

I know I would rather be in a situation with no assessment and more free time- but I have 2 schools open to me right now, and they are both a lot better than where she currently goes. Maybe I'll considering HS'ing if I feel like I can't make it work at another school.

Much as I dislike education, I think I dislike public education the most. Public school serves too many interests other than the students'. Yesterday they told my dd to collect box tops for the school- to win some prize, and gave her a list of products that have the right kind of box tops. Like, I'm supposed to go out and buy these products?!?!?!?!?! YUCK!
#34 of 48 Old 10-16-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofshmoo View Post
Yesterday they told my dd to collect box tops for the school- to win some prize, and gave her a list of products that have the right kind of box tops. Like, I'm supposed to go out and buy these products?!?!?!?!?! YUCK!
*Shudder*
Guerilla advertising campaigns for grade schools.
Unscrupulous.
#35 of 48 Old 10-16-2007, 09:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
I hated school, even when I was doing well. Kinda like how I'd imagine prison still sucks, even if the guards are decent people and you don't have to fight with other inmates.
You didn't seriously just compare school to prison, did you?
#36 of 48 Old 10-16-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sweeties1Angel View Post
School is totally like prison: you are forced to be somewhere even against your will for a period of time not determined by you. Your time is not your own, you have to ask permission to perform even the most basic bodily functions, you have to follow a long list of rules that you did not help to create, and you are punished if you do not adhere to these rules. Often you have to eat whatever it is you are served at meals in total silence, and then are allowed a certain prescribed amount of outdoors time, again, not when or where you choose.

Oh, and it lasts for years!

"MY best interest?...How can YOU say what MY best interest is?...When I went to YOUR schools, I went to YOUR churches, I went to YOUR institutional learning facilities."-ST
#37 of 48 Old 10-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Banned

School is nothing like prison. Anyone who would make a statement like that has obviously not seen the inside of a prison.
#38 of 48 Old 10-16-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Well, it was a hyperbole, but as Water points out, there are similarities between the two institutions.

I respect that others experience their time in the public education system differently. I really did feel this way, though.
#39 of 48 Old 10-16-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
School is totally like prison: you are forced to be somewhere even against your will for a period of time not determined by you. Your time is not your own, you have to ask permission to perform even the most basic bodily functions, you have to follow a long list of rules that you did not help to create, and you are punished if you do not adhere to these rules. Often you have to eat whatever it is you are served at meals in total silence, and then are allowed a certain prescribed amount of outdoors time, again, not when or where you choose.

Oh, and it lasts for years!
So true, especially about your time not being your own! That was what I hated the most: I could even handle the continual thirst (I always craved more than the 3 swallows of water we were each allowed on our way in from recess) --

But to not even be allowed my daydreams -- that was intolerable. So I snuck off to my secret world as often as I could, and just endured the reprimands and ridicule every time I was caught "not paying attention."

I'm glad some people have fun in the institution; that doesn't make it any less an institution.

#40 of 48 Old 10-16-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
School is nothing like prison. Anyone who would make a statement like that has obviously not seen the inside of a prison.
I've been on a couple of tours. It's true the prisons don't have all the cute, colorful posters. And they don't close for weekends, holidays, or parent-teacher conferences, either.

And at least the schools let you keep your underclothes ... at least they did the last time I was there.

But some of the "Lord of the Flies"-type behavior you can see on the rated R prison-flicks ... well, maybe there's not as much rape in school as in prison (at least as prisons are portrayed by Hollywood), but I think there's every bit as much cruelty.

Still, I guess the highschool diploma doesn't interfere with your job prospects as much as the prison diploma!

So, yeah, I'd definitely choose school over prison. But that's about all I can say for it: it's better than prison.

#41 of 48 Old 10-16-2007, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammal_mama View Post

So, yeah, I'd definitely choose school over prison. But that's about all I can say for it: it's better than prison.

#42 of 48 Old 10-16-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Commonly, literary analogies are drawn between s*x and death. I've never personally experienced the latter, and I'm quite certain which of the two I would prefer, but that doesn't negate the analogy.
#43 of 48 Old 10-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Banned

i dunno. someone very close to me spent time in a military prison and he has conceded that some public schools are, in fact, "like prison". military prisons are very different from civilian ones though. much less overcrowded and it's the only time in a military persons life that they have more rights than their civilian counterparts. still it's freakin prison and the fact that someone who's been there has said some are similar makes me sad for the kids who do have to go to those schools.
#44 of 48 Old 10-18-2007, 10:36 AM

I'm of such two minds about it.

I had several completely different school experiences. All of them were in crowded classrooms with desks in a row with bells dictating the time, etc. But at one school I felt pretty tortured, and at the other, I felt like it was a second home.

The difference institutionally I think was that at the second although I was expected to conform, I was still recognized as an individual. I had teachers who were focused really strongly on the work of the class - not really into self-esteem building the way we would think about it - but they were very open to my side of the bargain - my ideas and learning. They didn't assume that there was only one way to teach or to learn.

The other difference was socially which is a whole other can of worms.

Anyways, I am highly suspicious of school as an institution, but I did want to say that I think that sometimes the predictability and everything can be a framework for learning, too.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#45 of 48 Old 10-18-2007, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

I am very suspicious of the institutional nature of school. I don't like that peple have coercive power over y kid and her future- and especially the extent to which that coercive power is used to control my kids' ideas about government, corporations, history, etc.

That said, I do think kids want to be part of something, and have a purpose. Since our society does not give kids an opportunity do take part in any meaningful work or in society in a meaningful way, schools fill that void. Dd loves being part of something and having a purpose. Bravo to homeschoolers and people who live on a farm who can create that for kids outside school. In y 'hood nobody is home during the day. If you're not wrking or at school, you can feel pretty left out.
#46 of 48 Old 10-18-2007, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

I guess what I mean is a person might rather be in a prison (of sorts) with friends and a common purpose, than alone wih nothing to do.
#47 of 48 Old 10-18-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildJenn View Post
Anyways, I am highly suspicious of school as an institution, but I did want to say that I think that sometimes the predictability and everything can be a framework for learning, too.
Yes, prison can be a framework for learning, too -- but I managed to learn dominoes pretty good without having to be incarcerated.

Not trying to be snarky ... just succeeding!

#48 of 48 Old 10-18-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammal_mama View Post
Yes, prison can be a framework for learning, too -- but I managed to learn dominoes pretty good without having to be incarcerated.

Not trying to be snarky ... just succeeding!
very true!

I grew up in a home where homeschooling would have been nightmarish which also influences my quest for good institutions, private or public. As suspicious of them as I am.

My son's still young and in a wonderful montessori right now, so I have the luxury of being philosophical about it for now.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page