Help! Bucket seats have invaded Denmark! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 120 Old 10-15-2007, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is that what you call them? Those seats that are car seats, but then pop into their own wheels and it turns into a stroller. I saw three of them in the last week. Two years ago there were zero.

I don't know how or why they got here, but I think they are awful. A babe can litterally go from car to shopping center to coffee shop to home again, without ever getting out of the thing. How are they going to exercise their bodys? Learn to sit up, crawl, stand.... if they are constantly in these seats?

Any research indicating they are unhealthy? I figure if I lobby (we have a Danish "MDC" group) the press, they can do a piece on how bad they are before it gets to be a problem here. If I wait two more years they might be sold in all the stores by then.
#2 of 120 Old 10-15-2007, 06:11 PM

In the meanwhile, if you dislike the seats so much you could always go around poking any little babies that you see sleeping in them. Then their mamas will be forced to take them out when they start crying... voila! problem solved!

Added bonus: you get to give all the moms that do not take their crying babies out for a cuddle the Super AP Stinkeye.
#3 of 120 Old 10-15-2007, 06:15 PM

My argument is: If people (mothers) want to ignore their babies...they will. Bucket seat or not. Just take good care of your own kids and let others worry about theirs...or not.

Adaptive babies 'should' cry enough to get their needs met anyways...

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#4 of 120 Old 10-15-2007, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Buckets have their place.

i appreciated that my baby could warm and comfortable in the car while still meeting all saftey standards. i could put my comfortably dressed baby in the car seat, pile a heap of warm blankets on top of her. all my car was warming up (a little, outside of long road trips the enternal temp of my car in the winter is just above freezing. . . on a good day). then take my my much cozy baby outside, already warm and cozy and properly fastened in and snap her in the car while we didn't loe what precious little heat we had. Same went for summer. no hot buckles or anything.

She always had a clean safe place to park. My children did not want to be held all the time and prefered their space espcially if i was trying to do something else - like eat. I can pay attention to my MIL while she is sitting nect to me. I can also pay attention to my baby while she is sitting next to me.

also, I am strictly opposed to waking a sleeping baby. Its is just rude and inconsiderate to wake a tired person who obviously needs their rest. but it is kinda frowned upon to leave them alone sleeping in the car. and those short people really sleep a lot.

People are perfectly capable of neglecting their babies without the bucket. and people are perfectly capalable of knowing if they are meeting their babies needs. My children all learned to sit up and walk on time. they were strong and healthy. the one who was delayed was the only one we did not use a bucket for. I am not saying it is the reason but obviously using a bucket didn't effect them negatively.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#5 of 120 Old 10-15-2007, 06:31 PM

I don't know what Denmark car seats are like in general, but at least in the USA a bucket seat is one of the safest seats you can put your tiny infant in (short of, say, a Radian or another convertible that is honestly small enough for a newborn). So this could even be a step up in safety and not something you want to be lobbying to stop!

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
#6 of 120 Old 10-15-2007, 07:37 PM

I hate baby buckets.

They've caused certain types of plagiocephaly to skyrocket, and I see people doing all sorts of unsafe stuff with these buckets all the time - propping bottles with clips and rolled towels (hello?! Is it really that hard to interact with your baby for the time it takes for her to eat???) and leaving them in the buckets for entire days (except for diaper changes).

It's easy to ignore a baby in a bucket; I think they're a bad idea.
#7 of 120 Old 10-15-2007, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaKat View Post
In the meanwhile, if you dislike the seats so much you could always go around poking any little babies that you see sleeping in them. Then their mamas will be forced to take them out when they start crying... voila! problem solved!

Added bonus: you get to give all the moms that do not take their crying babies out for a cuddle the Super AP Stinkeye.

and

:

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#8 of 120 Old 10-15-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomom View Post
I hate baby buckets.

They've caused certain types of plagiocephaly to skyrocket, and I see people doing all sorts of unsafe stuff with these buckets all the time - propping bottles with clips and rolled towels (hello?! Is it really that hard to interact with your baby for the time it takes for her to eat???) and leaving them in the buckets for entire days (except for diaper changes).

It's easy to ignore a baby in a bucket; I think they're a bad idea.
I disagree. Poor parenting has caused plagiocephaly to skyrocket, and poor parenting is to blame for propping bottles. My kids had a "bucket" carseat and it was never abused.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#9 of 120 Old 10-15-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
Buckets have their place.

i appreciated that my baby could warm and comfortable in the car while still meeting all saftey standards. i could put my comfortably dressed baby in the car seat, pile a heap of warm blankets on top of her. all my car was warming up (a little, outside of long road trips the enternal temp of my car in the winter is just above freezing. . . on a good day). then take my my much cozy baby outside, already warm and cozy and properly fastened in and snap her in the car while we didn't loe what precious little heat we had. Same went for summer. no hot buckles or anything.
In a freezing cold climate, a bucket seat is incredibly helpful in using a seat appropriately and safely without exposing a child to blisteringly icy winds. Carseat techs keep reminding us that bulky coats in a carseat are *unsafe*, that pads underneath blankets underneath are *unsafe*

I've heard people say, "Well, you just warm the car up first." First of all, not everyone has a setup where that is possible. Second - that only works for the trip *out*. When you return to your ice-covered car, the entire car has dropped back to the 20-below ambient temperature and the clips on the carseat straps could cause frostbite at a touch.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#10 of 120 Old 10-15-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post
In a freezing cold climate, a bucket seat is incredibly helpful in using a seat appropriately and safely without exposing a child to blisteringly icy winds. Carseat techs keep reminding us that bulky coats in a carseat are *unsafe*, that pads underneath blankets underneath are *unsafe*

I've heard people say, "Well, you just warm the car up first." First of all, not everyone has a setup where that is possible. Second - that only works for the trip *out*. When you return to your ice-covered car, the entire car has dropped back to the 20-below ambient temperature and the clips on the carseat straps could cause frostbite at a touch.
Once, my friend was carrying her son to the car in a bucket seat, and she slipped on the ice. Totally wiped out, and she was hurt when she fell. The baby was buckled in -- the seat hit the ground and just rolled over and he never even woke up, much less got hurt.
#11 of 120 Old 10-15-2007, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
A babe can litterally go from car to shopping center to coffee shop to home again, without ever getting out of the thing.
In theory, sure. Unless you are following these people around, there is no way to know that and no reason to assume.
#12 of 120 Old 10-15-2007, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i slipped on ice once while going down stairs. I was right on the edge and she slid safely to the bottom of the hill. good times . . .good times . . .

i don't think so people realize just how cold cold is. we have to scrape ice from the inside of our windows. we don't really have a functional heater in our car. It takes hours of running to get hot air out of it. average winter temp is somewhere right around zero. with a lot of wind. our eyes freeze closed when we go outside. . . thats quite a bit different than taking the time to buckle in your kids when it 40* outside. we litterally run out and jump in and close the doors. And I hate even doing that with babies. there is no way I would completely strip my baby of blankets and coats and everything, buckle them into a freezing (literally) car seat, and then re-cover them all while leaving them exposed by an open car door with wind and ice and snow blowing in. Thank goodness all mine fit in their bucket over their first winter!

i also should add to my list is that despite falling into the size guidelines mine did not fit into her convertible at birth. with the straps as tight as they would go I could still easily remove her without unbuckling. She was about 8-10 ounces over the bottom weight limit. so very small. also she was in such an upright position that her head flopped forward. they almost wouldn't let us take her home in that car seat. especially for smaller babies buckets are best. I fought the separate base for her but in the end she still had to be buckled in every time and i don't think there was ever a day where we had that seat secured in the car properly. I think it is better to get it secured properly and leave it there.

the whole flat head thing, I thought that was caused by "back to sleep". people who prop bottles and leave their child in their carseats all day are the same ones who 10-15 years ago left them all in their cribs, swings, strollers,baby seats, floor all day without attention and propped bottles etc. car seats and the type we have don't change that.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#13 of 120 Old 10-15-2007, 09:56 PM

I dunno. I LOVED the bucket I had for dd when she was a baby. That child NEVER slept so whens he did, there was no way I was going to wake her. Not to mention the whole freezing cold car dash issue...... I do not think using one or not has anything to do with AP.
#14 of 120 Old 10-15-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonR View Post
Is that what you call them? Those seats that are car seats, but then pop into their own wheels and it turns into a stroller. I saw three of them in the last week. Two years ago there were zero.

I don't know how or why they got here, but I think they are awful. A babe can litterally go from car to shopping center to coffee shop to home again, without ever getting out of the thing. How are they going to exercise their bodys? Learn to sit up, crawl, stand.... if they are constantly in these seats?

Any research indicating they are unhealthy? I figure if I lobby (we have a Danish "MDC" group) the press, they can do a piece on how bad they are before it gets to be a problem here. If I wait two more years they might be sold in all the stores by then.
We use one. My baby is an extremely early crawler. I highly doubt the children you see are constantly in them. If so, it is not so much a "bucket" problem, but more an abuse problem, and the parents would abuse the child regardless of the bucket. The things you mentioned would take an hour or two, I'm assuming. That would make the baby free the other 22 hours a day. Research actually shows that newborns are safest in the baby "buckets", as the other seats (even though they say they can be used for a baby as little as 5 pounds) do not position them properly. There is a carseat tech here that can back me up on this

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#15 of 120 Old 10-15-2007, 10:16 PM

Hmm...I think your intentions and noble, but a little misguided...

Like anything else, bucket seats are one of a multitude of things that can be abused or non-conforming to the AP lifestyle. The rationale behind your cause could have expanded to include strollers, cribs, bouncers, and so on. A hands-on or neglectful parent will use or abuse any tool.

You have to weigh out the pros and cons and when coming to safety and the convenience factor of loving, AP parents who posted above, you'll have a losing (or just no) battle.
#16 of 120 Old 10-15-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonR View Post
How are they going to exercise their bodys? Learn to sit up, crawl, stand.... if they are constantly in these seats?

Um, you're kidding right? Most babies in North America use that kind of car seat, and yet, amazingly enough, by and large they still learn to sit up, crawl, stand, and even walk! And the average first age for these hasn't actually changed in the past generation, since they've become popular, so I've got to believe that their use doesn't lead to these kinds of problems.

That and everything else the other poster said!
#17 of 120 Old 10-15-2007, 11:23 PM
ggs

We used one, and my DD learned to sit up, crawl, and walk just fine. My DS is in one right now-he's sitting up, and scooting as well.

As others have said, any type of baby gear has the potential for abuse, but just because one uses a bucket, or a stroller, or a bouncer (or anything else) doesn't mean that the child is stuck there, 24 hours a day. Aren't you making some huge assumptions about parents who use buckets?

This thread makes me :.
#18 of 120 Old 10-16-2007, 12:28 AM

We used a "bucket" too and never had a problem with our child learning to crawl, walk, etc.

I don't know what the safety laws in Denmark regarding infants riding in cars, but I agree with PP who say how these carseats help keep newborns safe
#19 of 120 Old 10-16-2007, 09:55 AM

There are plenty of non-bucket car seats for new babies. We had one, and DS still uses it now at 3.5 years old. We never saw the need or the point of a bucket, seems insanely bulky and cumbersome. We slinged (slung? ) DS from day one and it was a breeze. No stroller, no bucket, no problem. It's not a "better" way, but it certainly works just as easily methinks. I don't think one is easier than another either, it's just a choice.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#20 of 120 Old 10-16-2007, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Why does it bother me so? Because I have never seen a Danish mother use them, and then last week I saw 3! But I have seen the 8 other mothers in my english-speaking mother group, over the last year, and every single one of them, except for me, has one of these things.

6 of them keep their children in it a majority or even ALL of the time. We would meet at a cafe and eat lunch/drink coffee for 2 hours, then go to the playground for another hour, then drive home. And the DC would be in the seat in the car (fine, that's where he/she SHOULD be), but also the whole time in the cafe, the whole time in the playground, then the whole time on the way home. Like 5 hours. My DC would be crawling on the floor, or in my lap tasting the food, or sitting/crawling in the playground or wherever. They wouldn't even take them out to put into a high chair. I even said to the mommas, "Maybe DC would like to come play with Lea?" and I got "No, DC doesn't like sand/dirt/whatever." And this happened every single week. One baby I NEVER saw out of the bucket, not once, in 6 months. Now that makes me sad :

I suppose I could say, I won't associate with these people. But then I deprive my children of english and expose them only to Danish. That has large drawbacks too, living in a foreign country and cutting yourself and family off from your own culture and language.

As many of you wise women posted, the seat itself is not the problem, neglectful parenting, which can just as easily take place in a crib/stroller... as well. Still I think it is sad, this seat entering into mainstream culture.
#21 of 120 Old 10-16-2007, 01:48 PM

I honestly loved the bucket, especially with dd. She did not sleep well, and waking her up once she was asleep was something I'd avoid at all costs (I don't like to wake sleeping babies, anyway - but especially dd). I tried transferring her to a carrier a few times, and she screamed for ages. Moving the bucket was no problem and she didn't wake up...easier for her, and only a little more difficult for me.

My biggest problem with the bucket was that it had a clip for a shopping cart, and it was almost impossible to unclip it when we were done shopping.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#22 of 120 Old 10-16-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
In theory, sure. Unless you are following these people around, there is no way to know that and no reason to assume.
Ummmm...why else would you be carrying it around then? If you wanted to get your child out of it, they wouldn't be in it in public in the first place.

Basically, it's buckle them into the bucket, snap it into the car, unsnap it to take them into the mall/whatever, snap it back in when you get back to the car, snap it out to take them into the house. If you see someone with a child in there it's not a far reach to understand the kid pretty much stays in there....or else the parents would be carrying them. I mean isn't that what they're used for?

I hate them with a passion.

I've been at MANY gyms/open play/jr. bounce houses and seen these things lined up against the wall completely ignored...full of babies. It's not a fluke or a one-time thing.(I understand not EVERYONE abuses them like this...at least the people on MDC....but the majority DO.)

Also, is no one else aware of the cultural implications that the OP is mentioning?!?!? If we'd been used to seeing regular strollers, babies being carried and slings all over the place all the time and that was the norm, we'd be pretty pissed about these "transitional" hunks of plastic too!!!!!!
#23 of 120 Old 10-16-2007, 02:52 PM

I think that, like most baby gear, carseat carriers can be misused. I don't particularly think that they're misused more than any other type of gear.

A couple of positive things about carseat carriers: Like someone else mentioned, they're actually much much safer as carseats for infants than the larger convertible seats. And further, I don't think that this has been mentioned yet, but when you're using a stroller for an infant, the carseat carrier enables you to interact with them much more directly by lifting them up higher toward you and turning them to face you. It actually makes me a little sad that my DD has outgrown the carrier, because now when I'm strolling her I can't see her face and interact with her like I used to. Even with her in the sling or the front-carrier, we had physical closeness, which was nice, but I still couldn't see her face.
#24 of 120 Old 10-16-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attachedmamaof3 View Post
If you see someone with a child in there it's not a far reach to understand the kid pretty much stays in there....or else the parents would be carrying them. I mean isn't that what they're used for?
Sure - by some people. Do you think without the bucket, they'd suddenly be devoting all their time and attention to the baby? My mom knew people who ignored their kids and propped bottles and what have you when she was a kid...in the 40s.

Quote:
I hate them with a passion.

I've been at MANY gyms/open play/jr. bounce houses and seen these things lined up against the wall completely ignored...full of babies. It's not a fluke or a one-time thing.(I understand not EVERYONE abuses them like this...at least the people on MDC....but the majority DO.)!
Why hate the seat, just because some people misuse them? I've known plenty of people who used buckets, and they weren't lining their kids up against gym walls or bounce houses. Of course, you probably wouldn't see those buckets, precisely because they're not being misused.

I suspect that c-sections contribute to the use of buckets, too. I know that I could put a bucket in a shopping cart and pick up some groceries long before I was physically up to carrying my baby around the mall in a sling or other carrier.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#25 of 120 Old 10-16-2007, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I love the infant carseat. It's very handy. I don't neglect my kids. The two things do not go hand in hand.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#26 of 120 Old 10-16-2007, 04:25 PM

Well I'm pretty sure DH was grateful for our bucket. DS never went to sleep for him unless he was cocooned in the thing

I think that maybe the OP should look at the safety standards of the bucket style seats before she starts lobbying against them. Yes, they make it easier to carry the baby around, but the parents who would leave the baby in it all day would have found another way to do it without the buckets.
#27 of 120 Old 10-16-2007, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyKitty View Post
Well I'm pretty sure DH was grateful for our bucket. DS never went to sleep for him unless he was cocooned in the thing

I think that maybe the OP should look at the safety standards of the bucket style seats before she starts lobbying against them. Yes, they make it easier to carry the baby around, but the parents who would leave the baby in it all day would have found another way to do it without the buckets.
Exactly, and maybe they would find a much less safe place to leave the baby.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#28 of 120 Old 10-16-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyKitty View Post

But the thing is, that in Denmark bucket-type carseats have been used for years. In the car, where they belong. What's new is snapping them on to a set of wheels and using them as strollers. People here use huge lay down type strollers, like a crib on wheels. This way the baby can lay down and rest. And almost everyone uses slings or at least babybjorn-style carriers a lot. So that is the alternatives to the bucket seats. IMO they are a lot better for the baby and just as safe, outside of the car.
#29 of 120 Old 10-16-2007, 04:54 PM

I still don't understand what the OP could lobby against. I am in germany and see lots of germans using the buckets, the big strollers, the slings, and the carriers. I don't understand what the issue is, honestly.
#30 of 120 Old 10-16-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attachedmamaof3 View Post
Ummmm...why else would you be carrying it around then? If you wanted to get your child out of it, they wouldn't be in it in public in the first place.
1. To keep the baby warmer while outside

2. To allow the baby to sleep instead of being jostled awake.

This does not mean that once you are INSIDE or the baby WAKES UP that you don't pick a baby, who wants to be picked up, up and take her out of the seat. I often did this.

Many, many pp's have explained this.

UMMM, what don't you understand about that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page