Daycare Question at the bottom of page - How to write an advert for.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 10-17-2007, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS starts school fulltime in January. My college course doesn't start until September. I plan on not working throughout the summer holidays so I can look after ds while school is closed. His summer break begins in July.

So for 6-7 months, from January 2008 until July 2008 while ds is at school all day, I have decided to work as a daycare provider in my home.

Im not sure whether to call myself a day care provider, babysitter, or child minder. What would you suggest?

I want to look after ONE child only, between the age of 0-6 months when I begin.

Im aiming to find a black african couple who live nearby, because there are a lot of african families in my town where both parents work all day in the city and are in a hurry to get back to work as soon as possible after the birth - they dont tend to take advantage of the maternity leave they are allowed and are back in the work place within a few weeks. Their youngest children are put in nurseries (daycares) from as young as 2 weeks old.

Personally im against daycare centres, and would feel really good about being able to look after a child instead of him/her having to be in a daycare centre, the baby will have my full one on one attention for most of the day.

I'd be willing to care for the baby from 7am until 6pm or if necessary 6:30pm. So obviously I will have DS and the baby in my care from 7am-9am when ds then goes to school. Then I will just be looking after the baby from 9am until 3:15pm. Then I will have them both in my care again from 3:15pm until 6pm.

My mom is supporting me on this 100% and she lives a 10 minute walk away if I need her for some emergency or whatever, and shes had 4 kids herself. I do have 3 concerns though. 1 We have an 8 month old dog, very small, but it is likely to put parents off because of hygiene or they may worry it might attack their baby etc - extremely friendly dog but you know how over-protective us mamas can be - so its understandable ofcourse. 2 We live in a large apartment, not a house which also might put parents off because we have no garden for their child to play in - but it is coming upto winter and a baby is too young to play outside anyway. 3 I don't drive, which may be a disadvantage in their opinion. It doesnt bother me because we live so close to everything, but it may concern them.

My question for right now is... How do I advertise myself? I have found about 10 different african supermarkets and hairdressers where I want to place an advert in the windows. But I dont know what exactly to write on the advertisement. What did you write on yours? What should I put? I want the parents to know I have a child myself, so they will feel safe leaving their baby in my care knowing ive raised my DS and he is almost 5. Help please!

Edited to Add: I dont plan on being approved by any social services so I wont be a "registered child minder" or whatever. I dont want to bother with all that because I only plan on doing this for those 6-7 months, and they make you comply with so many safety things etc etc it gets ridiculous.

Also I just got back from the town and noticed 2 adverts in 2 of the store windows that I WANTED TO PUT MY ADVERTS IN! one just simply said "need a babysitter? im available from 9-3 monday-friday, call me " The other one was more specific and said they are approved by some education department or something. damn I dont feel good about it now theres 2 others already advertising

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page