Moms of Many November support thread - get out the turkey! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 136 Old 11-23-2007, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Helen - sometimes the universe sends you a sign....

DiD - if you can still see a good side then that's no bad thing and we'll be looking out for news of a good night 20 days or so from now!

Jenny - fingers crossed for you

Inthe meantime does anyone have any tips for bouncing dd out of her 2am bedtime and 11am wake time? She has reverted to her newborn wake/sleep pattern after being ill and although I don't really mind parenting night and day this is wearing me out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 136 Old 11-23-2007, 10:36 PM

fingers crossed for you kidzaplenty

Flapjack, I hope you don't have any long, drawn out warnings but instead a pleasant birth experience. Use your past to guide you, not trap you. How's that for easy to give, hard to take advice?

DiD, enjoy your wedding, guilt-free. Are your cycles all over the place or is this continued improvement?

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#123 of 136 Old 11-23-2007, 10:40 PM

Orangefoot, is the rest of your house on a regular routine? It isn't a quick fix but sometimes we all turn in early even if it means cooing at the babe in bed, in the relative dark and quiet. This helps turn things around along with getting up in the morning even if it has been a late night. I hope you get some sleep.

I never have any real solutions, just ideas for slow, hard work.

#124 of 136 Old 11-24-2007, 12:17 PM

Well dd1 is also on a late night thing too which doesn't help as we share our room with both of them. We have tried going to bed early twice this week but lying in the dark with an active 14mo who is absolutely not tired and trying not to respond to the also not tired 4yo is not much fun and ultimately fruitless. Sometimes when I'm lying in the dark I wonder how many hours of my life I have spent waiting for one child or another to go to sleep. It must be days worth. Dh is worse at it because he actually falls asleep himself which leaves the small person free to stay busy....

Last night little dd asked to go to bed at 12.30 and was asleep by 1am which is a one hour improvement. I tried getting her up earlier yesterday morning but she kept flopping onto the bed again with her eyes closed so I just left her to sleep and got on with some work while it was quiet. We have been on long walks in the afternoons too but her brain is just busy busy busy.

For my sanity I'm just accepting that she is going to be up pottering around til later and I'll take her to bed when she is ready so as not to feel like I am in a mortal struggle which I don't have the patience or energy for. Oh and accept that this may take some weeks......
#125 of 136 Old 11-24-2007, 01:43 PM

a mortal struggle

My toddler doesn't nap but once I gave up and just realized that I could struggle daily or just accept that she was too tired and cranky for evening activities I opted for the latter so I do understand. I have my oldest two quiet and my little girls in bed relatively early and I am so ready to be more 'off duty' but my baby is just up later, often happy but not always. Giving in and taking what comes is much more pleasant that a battle over sleep but those are some late nights! I hope you can all agree on a more comfortable sleeping patern soon!

#126 of 136 Old 11-24-2007, 02:27 PM

Orangefoot, have you read NCSS? I have a copy lying around somewhere (I think it's in the house, I bought it because I spend so much time around other people whose children don't sleep) you can borrow.
Mommajb, I've mentally written the birth story already. 20 minutes pushing, preceded by ROM, preceded by 1-3 hours of nice regular escalating contractions, preceded by a good nights sleep. Preceded by nothing interesting.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#127 of 136 Old 11-25-2007, 08:55 PM

Ahh silence and stillness. M' girlies are both asleep and little dd dropped off at 10.30. The long walks must finally be having an effect

Now I have time to tidy up the floor in the living room, make the boy's lunches, clean up the kitchen ad maybe get to bed in time for....
#128 of 136 Old 11-25-2007, 10:50 PM

Get to bed! Quick while you still can!

#129 of 136 Old 11-26-2007, 02:18 AM

May I join here too? I have 4 but the oldest is my 15yrold dsd that we have part time. I am alone a lot with the youngest 3 and frequently feel overwhelmed. My youngest is 3 mos. and has reflux so the other 2 are not getting much attention these days.
#130 of 136 Old 11-26-2007, 07:27 AM

I think overwhelmed qualifies you Welcome!

OK, serious question. Is taking someone else's kid (9yo) out somewhere intrinsically more stressful than having a fourth child who is a small baby? Saturday was- erm, not fun, really, despite the vast buckets of chocolate we came home with, and DH and I basically just crawled into bed and slept asap.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#131 of 136 Old 11-26-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
OK, serious question. Is taking someone else's kid (9yo) out somewhere intrinsically more stressful than having a fourth child who is a small baby? Saturday was- erm, not fun, really, despite the vast buckets of chocolate we came home with, and DH and I basically just crawled into bed and slept asap.
I think taking any child that is not yours out is hands down more stressful than your own forth, baby or not. Absolutely. I am not really sure why, but I think it is just easier knowing the child is yours, as well as what you can and cannot do with that child. Having someone else's child is stressful because there is always that difference in how they are being raised by the different parents (techniques, parenting styles, and especially discipline issues), plus the carefulness you take to not overstep yourself.

Anyways, that is just how it is with me.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#132 of 136 Old 11-26-2007, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question: How do you keep it quiet enough for your littlest ones to take decent naps with the rest of the mob home? When it was warmer I'd just send them outside, but now that it's getting cold out, I'm having trouble coming up with non-TV methods for keeping them quiet at naptime.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#133 of 136 Old 11-26-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
Question: How do you keep it quiet enough for your littlest ones to take decent naps with the rest of the mob home? When it was warmer I'd just send them outside, but now that it's getting cold out, I'm having trouble coming up with non-TV methods for keeping them quiet at naptime.
Not sure what ages you are talking about........Crafts, coloring books, eating!!!!!!(harder to talk w/ your mouth full)...fold laundry, read a book, write a book learn to sew, knit, etc. make Christmas Cards.
#134 of 136 Old 11-26-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
If you figure this out do share!! My 2 and 4 yo are so loud all the time the baby is always being startled awake. Wearing him helps, sometimes I let the 4 yo go with her sister to deliver papers on our block, playing seems to result in either happy or frutrated noises. I could sit and read to them the whole time but I need a break. I know where you are coming from!

On other topics, I really avoid taking other kids places with us. I feel so overwhelmed with my own troop that adding in more just shouldn't be done. That said, my son likes to bring a friend along and I have been saying yes a bit. It wears me out for so many reasons. Luckily we really fill our van so we often just can't.

#135 of 136 Old 12-03-2007, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Play dough, painting, I read outloud.

That is WHEN I can actually keep them quite. :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#136 of 136 Old 12-03-2007, 07:25 AM

Are we going to a new month? Or not?

Orangefoot could use your thoughts- I got a PM from her husband yesterday to let me know that their youngest is in hospital, and Orangefoot is in there with her. I don't know any details yet, but I'm hoping everything is going to be OK.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page