WWYD if you had sextuplets? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-21-2008, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
******* Not a mod here, but: I'd think we should stay away from the reduction/abortion talk as to keep the thread open. *********
Talking about reduction won't get the thread shut. If people try to debate and argue people's choices, that is what would get the thread shut down. You can't have a thread about what one woudl do with hom without talk of reduction.

On that note, I would definitely get a reduction.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks Mama View Post
Sextuplets don't just land in your lap.

I wouldn't have implanted that many embryos.
IVF mom chiming in here, because this misconception seems to keep popping up in discussions about high order multiples and it's driving me bananas.

HOMs are almost always (well, 99.9% of the time) the result of IUI, not IVF. IVF is actually done in part to control how many embryos actually implant in the uterus as a result of Assisted Reproductive Techhologies (ART.) Families like the Gosselins, Dillys, and others all used IUI, not IVF to conceive their children.

Please, please, please, stop lumping all of us who needed IVF to conceive our children into the same category. IVF and IUI are simply not the same thing, it's unfair to continue spreading this kind of misinformation about HOMs and attributing them to IVF when it is just not the truth.

(As an aside, I don't personally take issue with those who do resort to IUI as treatment for their infertility. There are lots of reasons why IUI is used instead of IVF, in large part because it isn't as intensive, invasive of expensive as IVF. It's all about personal choice, folks!)

Mom to twin boys (7/15/05), another boy 5/9/10, and our latest addition born 9/13/11!

Old 11-21-2008, 03:50 PM

I think I would just do my best. I think Jon and Kate are doing their best. I think it's funny how many threads I see where people think they could do it better.

I have a hard time keeping up with one teenager and all she needs to do.

I give them credit for coming up with something that works for them.

But, Kate could stand to loosen up a little.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:22 PM

I would be scared but excited. Put me in the 6 toddlers would be a hoot camp! As far as their baby-hood. I would schedule, schedule, schedule. With 2 young ones i need schedules, with 8 (tups plus my 2) i would have to have schedules. I would nurse as often and as many as I could and put out the call to all the local MDC moms that I needed pumped milk, or come by and nurse a baby (or 2) when you have a chance!

cloth diapers - no way i heck would i even try to put that burden on myself.

co-sleeping - by necessity I'd assume i'd end up with 4 + kids in my bed a night.

Voluteer helpers/freebies - bring it on, show up at the door with your clean background check and i'll invite you in with a smile and a chore list!

My big fear with that many would be, i would spend so much time and energy on the few that were smaller/sickly-er that the robust, healthy babies would get ignored. Knowing myself like i do, I'm sure i would create some sort of list to keep track and make sure the lower-needs babies still got mama time.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolagirl View Post
IVF mom chiming in here, because this misconception seems to keep popping up in discussions about high order multiples and it's driving me bananas.

HOMs are almost always (well, 99.9% of the time) the result of IUI, not IVF. IVF is actually done in part to control how many embryos actually implant in the uterus as a result of Assisted Reproductive Techhologies (ART.) Families like the Gosselins, Dillys, and others all used IUI, not IVF to conceive their children.

Please, please, please, stop lumping all of us who needed IVF to conceive our children into the same category. IVF and IUI are simply not the same thing, it's unfair to continue spreading this kind of misinformation about HOMs and attributing them to IVF when it is just not the truth.

(As an aside, I don't personally take issue with those who do resort to IUI as treatment for their infertility. There are lots of reasons why IUI is used instead of IVF, in large part because it isn't as intensive, invasive of expensive as IVF. It's all about personal choice, folks!)
Sorry, apparently I don't know what I'm talking about. I don't even understand half of the abbreviations you've used in your post.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, spread misinformation, or mistruth!

I was simply responding to the post. And trying to get the message across that 6 babies at once doesn't "fall into anyone's lap" as was suggested by the OP. As you personally know, it's a decision that people who are encountered with using fertility treatments come to consciously.

AND as such, I was saying that I wouldn't DO anything that would put me in the position of having 6 babies at one time. I believe that to be an irresponsible decision, and a multiple pregnancy like that is unhealthy for the mother and obviously unhealthy for the babies who obviously are going to be born very premature in need of all sorts of treatments, and as has been stated here on this thread, the likelihood 6 babies would be able to be breastfed or treated as every baby has the right to be (i.e. worn, nursed on cue, coslept), is slim to none. So that's not right, and its not a decision I would make. That was the point I attempted to make the first time, without being so darned verbose.

Sorry to have offended. It wasn't my intent.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

Old 11-21-2008, 04:55 PM

I would strongly consider reducing to 3 or 4. But having said that, the question wasn't what would I do if I was PREGNANT with 6, it was what would I do if I HAD six.

I wouldn't co-sleep. I would let them cosleep though, putting two or three babies in a crib since they're so used to it from the womb. 6 mobile babies would not sleep well together in the same bed. One would constantly be waking the others and there's no way I could get good rest with 12 hands and 12 legs potentially hitting and kicking me throughout the night.

I would bf as many as I could and hope for donor milk for the others. While they're in the NICU, I'd pump like a mad woman to get my supply as high as possible and take any and all supplements I safely could. The weaker ones would get more milk, but all babies would at least get some milk - hopefully a little everyday but that would depend greatly on the health of the others.

I'd definitely cd. Out of all the AP things I do, I'd think that would be the easiest. We'd hopefully be gifted a service, but if not we'd keep it to prefolds and covers. It'd mean more laundry, but it'd be the easiest of all of it with no stink issues, we wouldn't worry about stains, no folding, etc.

I'd wear one in the sling at all times and two when they're little. Ideally, dh and all helpers would as well, but who knows if they would. I'd ask for as much help with housekeeping, etc as I could get so I could spend more time taking care of my kids. For all helpers, I'd have two giant dry erase boards hung on the wall of the main room. One would be for the baby crew with who ate what last, diaper changes, and general schedule. The other would be for the housekeeping crew and have a list of things that need to be done. Erase as needed and if you find something that needs to be done but can't get to it, write it up there.

We'd have to have a schedule, no two ways about it. You eat when food is offered or you don't eat (toddlers and older, obviously). We wouldn't be strict with it - if none are hungry til 8am but we usually eat at 7:30, no biggie. If it's close to meal time and some are starting to get hungry we won't wait til it's time. Naptime and bedtime would always be at the same time to keep me sane. We would sleep train, no doubt. Can you imagine getting up 6 different times during the night - and that's all of them just waking once? Yeah, again, schedule. It'd be the only way you'd get anything done.

I would have to research vaccines and HOM/preemies before saying for sure, but most likely we would not vaccinate. Definitely no hep b or eye goop, etc.

Things I wouldn't budge on - gentle discipline, baby led solids, cloth diapering, not spanking, leave them intact. I don't think you have to do bf, cd, cosleep, etc to be considered AP. AP to me is loving your children and treating them with the same respect as adults, while doing the best you can.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:12 PM

What would I do with sextuplets? To be honest, I have no clue. We'd have to move. I don't know how we'd even afford a place to live, let alone clothes, etc. Ugh.

What I would definitely try to do:

Breastfeed to as great an extent as my supply would allow. That would mean rotating babies, so that they all got at least some breastmilk. I have no idea how much I'd be able to manage and how much ABM would be required, though.

I'd definitely cloth diaper. At least my washer and dryer are in my house. I don't want the hassle of having to go out and buy diapers every other day. I can't handle the expense. I'd also try a lot harder to help my children potty learn at an early age...but if they were all like ds2...I don't know...

Cosleeping would be awfully tricky. Maybe I'd have them all in my room and switch around which ones were actually in our bed? I don't know - think I'd have to see how that one worked.

I guess I'd have to do some scheduling, but that would be hard. I suck at schedules.

Survive. Survive. Survive. That would be my main mission. When I look at how crazy things are here right now, with one teenager, two little ones, and a baby-under-construction...cannot even imagine coping with six all at once!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 11-21-2008, 05:28 PM

Even though it's been a year since I last posted in this thread, and now all of my children are in school for at least half the day...even better rested and with more distance, I still think that I'd have to have a suicide prevention strategy in place.

I thought I understood sleep deprivation until I had twins. And as a twin mom I cannot even begin to fathom triplets. The complications and energy drain does not multiply, it goes up exponentially. I don't think it's possible to exclusively breastfeed beyond 3. I nursed 3 for awhile, and nursed my twins until they self weaned (none of my kids did cereal or baby food, we went straight from the breast to table food, chopped/smooshed as necessary of course). I grew healthy kiddos but I was extremely depleted after weaning, it took me a couple of years to truly recover, and nursing twins and comfort nursing a toddler is NOT maxing yourself out like hom would be.

I'd like to think that I could selectively reduce, but I'm pretty sure I couldn't. I couldn't even make a decision that would have guaranteed the life of one, I chose instead to risk them both. Luckily for me and them it worked out, but it took me years before I wasn't daily haunted by that either--so I know that I probably wouldn't have the guts to reduce. (after having been through my experience, I must say that i have one hell of a lot more respect for parents who decide to go for reduction or abortion--I too believed that was the 'easy way' out until I had it stare me straight in the face, now I know there ARE no 'easy ways out'.)

It's true that you'd probably get some commercial help as long as you've got the right look (HOM families of color in general do not receive as much public attention and assistance).

For me personally though, it would be devastating. I am an introvert. I am a shy person. Having a ton of helpers in and out of my home all the time (and yes, that would be necessary for quite a long time) would put me through the wringer emotionally when I would be already physically drained. I guess i'd be a little more able to deal with the extremely painful readjustment of AP expectations now that I already had to do that with twins. But it'd still be painful.

My only hope would be to arm myself with whatever I needed to do just to survive that first year/year and a half. It can be done, taking one step at a time, but...for me that would be a very hard journey. It's not even really all that fun for me to think or fanatsize about.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Sorry, apparently I don't know what I'm talking about. I don't even understand half of the abbreviations you've used in your post.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, spread misinformation, or mistruth!

I was simply responding to the post. And trying to get the message across that 6 babies at once doesn't "fall into anyone's lap" as was suggested by the OP. As you personally know, it's a decision that people who are encountered with using fertility treatments come to consciously.

AND as such, I was saying that I wouldn't DO anything that would put me in the position of having 6 babies at one time. I believe that to be an irresponsible decision, and a multiple pregnancy like that is unhealthy for the mother and obviously unhealthy for the babies who obviously are going to be born very premature in need of all sorts of treatments, and as has been stated here on this thread, the likelihood 6 babies would be able to be breastfed or treated as every baby has the right to be (i.e. worn, nursed on cue, coslept), is slim to none. So that's not right, and its not a decision I would make. That was the point I attempted to make the first time, without being so darned verbose.

Sorry to have offended. It wasn't my intent.
High multiples happen in medicated IUI cycles that are not monitored well enough by the docs. But also in Clomid cycles that are not even monitored a lot of times because they are often without IUI.

You can only know much risk you are willing to take with fertility treatments when you are actually infertile and really face the choices. Going through infertility makes you stretch what you are willing to do to have a child IMO.

Carma
Old 11-21-2008, 05:48 PM

I would move to Nebraska.

Kidding, people. I'm kidding.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:57 PM

The first thing I'd do would be call my best friend and tell her she'd be moving in ASAP. And ask if she'd be willing to induce lactation.

After that ... I don't know. Take my ideal, figure out which parts would work with that many babies, and then wing the rest.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg View Post

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

Old 11-21-2008, 06:03 PM

re: comments about "not putting oneself in that position".

The Dionne quintuplets were born in 1934. The family was poor, and already had five children. I doubt highly that they attempted any kind of fertility measures, even of the folklorish variety. They most certainly didn't have IVF or IUI or anything else of that sort in 1934. Five children. That's HOM. The only thing they did to "put themselves in that position" was have sex.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 11-21-2008, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hum..

I would ask my sisters to induce lactation. I would move into a bigger house
I would CD, to me diapers are diapers. I would cosleep, how else would you get sleep!

I would probably reduce. I can't say for sure, but I would have to think long and hard about it.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Old 11-21-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg View Post

Kidding, people. I'm kidding.
I live in Nebraska.....not the best place to be
Old 11-21-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma View Post
High multiples happen in medicated IUI cycles that are not monitored well enough by the docs. But also in Clomid cycles that are not even monitored a lot of times because they are often without IUI.

You can only know much risk you are willing to take with fertility treatments when you are actually infertile and really face the choices. Going through infertility makes you stretch what you are willing to do to have a child IMO.

Carma
Thanks for the clarification.

I can only imagine infertility would make a person questions one's decisions.

But I can tell you for certain that my beliefs are such that I would not ever choose or have chosen to have the possibility of 6 children, infertility or no. I certainly am grateful never to have been put in the position of even approaching those discussions in my life, but not having been there in person doesn't mean if I were that I would drastically change my perspective on the fairness & rightness of treatment of babies.

In the same way as I knew long before having a baby that I'd never let any future baby cry it out - because that's just not how you treat another person. I didn't need to have a baby to know that.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

Old 11-21-2008, 06:10 PM

If I found myself with six babies in my tummy I would not reduce, I just personally could not CHOOSE which babies to keep and which ones go, that is not for me at all. I really don't know what I would do after the birth, I guess I would have to wait and see what is best for the family at the time. Sometimes we never know what will DO until we HAVE to do it.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
re: comments about "not putting oneself in that position".

The Dionne quintuplets were born in 1934. The family was poor, and already had five children. I doubt highly that they attempted any kind of fertility measures, even of the folklorish variety. They most certainly didn't have IVF or IUI or anything else of that sort in 1934. Five children. That's HOM. The only thing they did to "put themselves in that position" was have sex.
Okay, but don't you think its farily safe to assume currently the large majority of multiple births (we're not talking twins or even triplets here) are because of fertility treatments, not random chance, right? The story the OP was talking about was 6 babies born at once, because of fertility treatments, as I understand. Correct? And so they made a choice to put themselves in that position. And so, no, I wouldn't make that choice. I think that's a realistic statement to make.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:20 PM

I would honestly probably reduce.

If by some weird miracle I ended up with sextuplets naturally with no fertility treatments and I somehow didn't find out until they were all born (yes, I'm stretching here!) I would probably cry, then I would enlist the help of EVERYONE I know and find a way that DP could stay home and we could still make enough money.

I probably wouldn't co-sleep unless it was necessary for a specific child's comfort. I don't think I'd schedule meals because I can't work on a schedule.

I would try my damndest to breastfeed all of them. I love nursing, I make 3 times as much milk as my baby needs anyway, and I think it'd just be totally freaking awesome to BF multiples. I know that realistically it's probably no fun at all though.

I really admire moms of multiples. I had nightmares when I was pregnant that it was twins. It must be really tough. I know I'm just scraping by with one!
Old 11-21-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Okay, but don't you think its farily safe to assume currently the large majority of multiple births (we're not talking twins or even triplets here) are because of fertility treatments, not random chance, right? The story the OP was talking about was 6 babies born at once, because of fertility treatments, as I understand. Correct? And so they made a choice to put themselves in that position. And so, no, I wouldn't make that choice. I think that's a realistic statement to make.
I don't think it's a realistic comment. The question in the thread title was "what would you do if you had sextuplets?". If people don't want to address that, that's fine. I just don't see the point in holier than thou comments about putting oneself in that position, when it could conceivably (ouch - bad pun) happen to anybody. I'm currently pregnant and this will be my last baby. I've always wanted four and my family will be complete once this baby arrives. That doesn't mean that nature couldn't throw me a curve ball in the form of twins or triplets...or even quads or quints...

Is it likely? No. The likelihood of having HOM doesn't have anything to do with what I'd do if it happened, though. It's a hypothetical question, so I don't get why people are addressing it solely as an issue of fertility treatments and choices. It could happen without those treatments, and the question is about how we'd handle it if it did happen...not about whether we'd put ourselves in that position in the first place.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:28 PM

1. Buy a bigger house.
2. Move my mother in.
3. Move my MIL in.
4. Get a bigger washer
5. Inform all helpers that my job is to BF as many as possible and they get to bottle feed, bathe, and change the rest because while not BF I will be eating or sleeping. Actually, I will be eating while BF and sleeping at all other times.
6. Wrangle volunteers from local mom's group and church
7. tell husband he needs to magically triple his income.

Mostly sane mother to twins.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:30 PM

Oh goodness, I don't know.

I think I would probably have to reduce as well... Which would be so hard for me, because I really don't believe in that sort of thing for myself... I didn't terminate with DS though, even after my doctors pretty much begged me too -- that was because he had a birth defect though, and that's not something I'm willing to terminate for. But since being pregnant with 6 would put all of the babies lives in danger (and my own), I think I could do it. Plus, having 6 would put one in the hospital for MONTHS. There's no way we could swing that with a 3yo with SN at home.

That being said, if I did have 6...

First of all, I would need help. Probably at least 3 caregivers and at least 2 housekeepers, round the clock.

I would still BF as much as possible and I would be on MDC begging local moms to donate milk. Most humans can produce enough for 3, so I'd just nurse them all as much as possible and get the other half or so from donations. I'd start "collecting" milk well before I gave birth though and store it in a huge deep freeze.

As far as sleeping arrangements, I would probably turn my bedroom into one big bed. But I'd probably still have a crib in the room for the ones that need some space, because that's always possible. Not every baby loves co-sleeping.

I'd still BW, and have plenty of extra slings on hand for my helpers.

I'd still cloth diaper as well. No way could I handle that much garbage, it would give me a freakin panic attack. My housekeepers can take care of the laundry. LOL

All of that is in theory, anyway. Those no telling what I'd really do if that really happened to me. o.O

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

Old 11-21-2008, 06:36 PM

if i were to spontaniously have 6 babies i would first off freak out then i would

• freeze as many meals as i could before the birth.
  • pair the babies up in cots and co-sleep with whom ever needs it the most at any given time.
  • work in shifts with DH if needed, he takes them for 3 hours, then i take then for three hours while he gets some sleep
  • BF the sickest baby as much as possible, rotate the rest, pump in between source donated BM/milk banks/possibley even a wet nurse/use formula if i have too.
  • hire a cleaner to come in once a day to hoover, wash dishes, make beds, do laundry.
  • hire a diaper serivce and use cloth diapers
  • rope in some family to help
  • carry 2 each between me and DH or two myself and the others in some sort of pushchair, facing me, not facing out. when they were a bit older if i thought it was safe i would have my eldest carry a baby every so offten.
while i would love to have twins, 6 im not so sure, but no matter how many babies i have i will try to keep the kind of schedule we have already. i would put in a lot of forward planning, freezing meals, getting enought clothes, nappies, checking out milk banks, formula, bottles, double breastpumps, etc. each baby would be colour coded simply so we know who has been fed, what, when, how long, how much if bottle fed, when they were changed, what was in the nappy, who napped, how long, who was in the wrap last, who's turn it is next.

kiz
Old 11-21-2008, 06:38 PM

If I naturally became pregnant with 6 babies I would still reduce. It would be a heartbreaking choice to make but one I feel would be best.

If some reason I was handed 6 babies tomorrow I would go rent a hospital grade pump and start pumping like mad (I'd feel very lucky I was lactating already), I would try to find as much help as I could and do my very best to care for all the babies and my children as best I could. I would definitely have to get on whatever finacial assitance I could as well because we are poor and 6 more babies would more than break us.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 11-21-2008, 07:11 PM

I'd have to divide and conquer. Seriously. There are things I'm sure I could give up with Baby A that Baby B would need and so on.

I would not make myself crazy trying to BF and pump. I pumped for 27.5 mos for a singleton, and still had to supp. No way would I put myself through that hell for 2.5oz/baby/day. I'd do it for however long they were in NICU, and a month or so after that, and that's it. If my defective breasts somehow made more, I'd consider it for longer, but, I'd still have to supp. I would be willing to nurse for quite a while, but it would be mostly non-nutritive.

My DD slept better in a crib for the first 9 mos. I'd put whichever Babies could sleep well in a crib(s) together in pairs. I'd take whichever really needed me there into bed. And I realize that might vary by day.

I'd definitely baby-wear. It made life so much easier with DD in general. I'd obviously have to switch out babies, but, I'd probably have a baby on me every waking hour.

I *would* try to get them on a schedule, at least for sleeping - or, probably, 2-3 schedules. Just so I *could* have some individual time with each baby. If I could get Babies A/B to nap from 12-2, and babies C/D from 1-3,and E/F 2-4, I'd have some indi. time with each.

I'd hire some sort of outside help to do housework. Whether that's a local teen, a housekeeper, even paying a friend, etc.

We used sposies with DD, but, with six babies, I'd invest in a lot of cloth diapers.

I would MANDATE Mommy-alone time. Even if it were only an hour or two a week. I'd hire a couple of baby-sitters, and GET OUT for a coffee, or to go to the library, or something. And time alone with my older DD.

However, we plan for DD to be an only, so, hopefully, I won't ever have to face this issue.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:40 PM

I'd be more worried about DH running away. We used clomid (only, no triggers or IUI) and did ultrasound monitoring to be super careful. Planned to cancel the cycle if we got more than one egg. Even so, DH was so freaked out that we'd have more than one. I think he watched a few minutes of the John and Kate show and it scarred him. The midwife was sure it was only one at my 10wk visit, but he was still worried until I had a 20wk u/s. I'm going to laugh so hard if more than one pops out.

And fyi, it's not IUI that would cause HOM either. Some people do IUI because of a male factor, but have a perfectly normal cycle and produce one egg. They might do a trigger shot so they can time the IUI better, but that doesn't make more eggs, just releases it at the best time. It's those injectables that'll get you.

Out of curiosity... For those against IF treatments, what do you think about a woman getting treatment for a hormonal imbalance that doesn't cause any problems for her physically other than lack of a cycle? I don't ovulate, but I assume taking clomid after every period would create a cycle if I wanted one. That wouldn't technically be infertility treatment but a hormone imbalance treatment. IF usually has a medical cause behind it. Is that ok?

mom to DD 3/09
Old 11-21-2008, 10:11 PM

The reduction question is so tricky-- because it's not just about what it would be like to have 6 babies-- it's whether having those 6 babies (rather than reducing) endangers them all. Even with *just* triplets, there's a 25% chance of spontaneously losing all 3 of them midway through the pregnancy (vs. a 5% chance of losing all 3 if you reduce down to two). I can't even imagine what the numbers/odds must be for a sextuplet pregnancy. Luckily it's rare, but from what I understand the majority of people who choose to keep "all" of the babies in such very-high order multiples actually lose all of them as a result.

I'm very grateful that this is a choice I haven't had to make.

Like dachshund, I cannot ovulate on my own due to hypothalamus problems, so never would have gotten pregnant (currently with twins) without a lot of help.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamolly1 View Post
The reduction question is so tricky-- because it's not just about what it would be like to have 6 babies-- it's whether having those 6 babies (rather than reducing) endangers them all.
With out a doubt it does and it's a risk to the mother's life as well. I have three other children that need their mother very much and I couldn't personally take that risk. I doubt thankgoodness I'll ever be in that situation and have to make that tough choice.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 11-22-2008, 11:13 AM

Honestly, I wouldn't choose a fertility treatment that could result in six children in the first place. It sounds pretty expensive to begin with, and would be even more so if I ended up with 4-5 more kids than planned. I'd sooner adopt.

If I became pregnant (naturally) with 6 kids, I'd probably make the very painful decision to reduce down to twins. It'd be one of the few times I'd ever think of doing something like that, but I'd consider it a huge medical risk.

Of course, it's really difficult to answer these questions. Until you are actually in those shoes, you probably have no idea what you'd do.

Enjoying the adventure of NFL with my partner-in-crime , DD 03.09 , , &
Old 11-22-2008, 02:25 PM

I ever became pregnant with high-order multiples, I would selectively reduce to twins. While I love John and Kate Plus 8, and I've seen a lot of healthy, happy kids from multiple pregnancies.. there are a lot of sad stories out there. Anything over two would be too risky for both me and babies. It would be very hard and sad to do so, of course, but I doubt it will ever happen..

I can't imagine having two babies at once, much less 3 or more. I hope I never have twins!

I think most of the multiple pregnancies today are the result of fertility treatments, but they did happen before any of that was invented. And still do - quite common in some areas of Africa, especially. I heard of one woman who has had 7 out of her nine pregnancies multiple - twins, triplets, and quads. Sadly she didn't have access to good medical care, and most of the babies died.

User Tag List