so worried, - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-09-2007, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am worried that my daughter is getting emotionally affected by my going to work. when i'm home a two days in a row she's fine. when i have to go to work and she's at daycare she just sits in a corner and does not play with the other boy there(the sitter's son) and does not run around or nothing. i'm really worried. should i take her to the psycologist? will she get used to it?

**i'm a flight attendant i work a funky schedule, i work tuesdays and wednesdays (sometimes leave on tue and get back on wed afternoon) then i'm off thursday and back to work friday off saurday and work on sunday....**

my daughter is 17 months old, currently breastfeeding, cosleeping and being worn

michelle~carola's and paola's mommy~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-09-2007, 04:28 PM

How long has she been in daycare?
#3 of 5 Old 11-09-2007, 04:50 PM

michelle. of course your daughter is affected by being apart from you but that does not mean that she is being emotionally damaged or scarred. it's wonderful that you are breastfeeding, co-sleeping and babywearing - what a lucky girl to have you for a mom.

at this point, from what you wrote, i don't think she needs a psychologist. she just needs lots of love from you when you're home and from her caregiver when you're away. also, at 17 months, kids don't always play with other kids. they are generally more into their own worlds than intersted in really socializing with others. i'm sure as she gets more comfortable in her surroundings she will get more connected with the people there.

it's really hard to be a working mom (no disrespect to SAHM - it's all hard work) and there are times when we all have felt like we're not doing so great at either job.i hope you can find a balance that works for you and your dd.

take gentle care...
#4 of 5 Old 11-09-2007, 06:12 PM

I think she's acting pretty normal for a 17 month old who is not used to being away from her Mom. As long as you are comfortable with her caregiver, I'd give her some more time. Make sure her babysitter is doing all she can to be kind and nuturing, and she'll adjust.

My son was so very attached to me, and when I went through a divorce when he was a young toddler, he had to stay a few hours a day with my Mom so I could work. He did cry for me ... but I knew he was in loving, caring arms and that she was doing everything to care for him and make him feel secure. Soon enough, he came around and was very, very attached to her as well. He never wanted me to leave him, but he was happy in her home and adjusted well.

My best suggestion is to make sure the babysitter knows some of the things that will help to settle and make your daughter more secure, and then give them time.

It's hard to leave your little one, I know.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#5 of 5 Old 11-09-2007, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

she's been going to the same nanny since june this year, and in june and july i use to only work two days a week ( my dd used to play a bit then.)
i was off for two weeks in august and the whole month of september. and in october i started going on trips where i was gone overnite (only about two times in october and once so far in november) and working five days a week. now in november i work 4 days a week, but i don't always fly every day...

the nanny seems to be affectionate with her at least from what i can see, she got them some LEGO's to play with and apparently my dd does not play with them, she even got her her own doll... my dd just sits around doing nothing.

this makes me so sad if i could i would stop working but i can't

michelle~carola's and paola's mommy~

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page