for those who do Santa - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 12-14-2007, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where do you hide your gifts? Do you wrap them and then hide? Hide them unwrapped and then wrap all night Christmas Eve? I have some hidden in my closet -though my kids play store in there a lot and I am constantly running in to see and make sure they havent discovered my stash! LOL I also have a few items in my parents garage. Nothing is wrapped yet though.
#2 of 20 Old 12-14-2007, 11:01 PM

We don't do Santa but we tend to do large gifts. Last year the kitchen was stored at the in-laws and dh put it together there, putting it in dd's room after she went to bed. This year, it's a train table and track set. It's currently in our closet, unassembled. Dh's plan is to put it together after she goes to bed on Christmas Eve. We'll see.

Mama of three.

#3 of 20 Old 12-15-2007, 01:42 AM

I hide the gifts, unwrapped, and wrap when I find the time. As the kids have gotten older, the hiding places have had to get a lot more creative!
#4 of 20 Old 12-15-2007, 01:49 AM

So far everything is just shoved in our wardrobe, but DS is only two and doesn't go in there.

I have no idea where to put them when he's older!

It's complicated.
#5 of 20 Old 12-15-2007, 02:33 PM

I hide them in our suitcases! I got this idea from my mom and it works well. For now they are unwrapped.
#6 of 20 Old 12-15-2007, 03:03 PM

Santa doesn't wrap presents he brings to our house. sooo...the scooter ds is getting is in the neighbor's garage and the globe for dd is still in the big shipping box in our bedroom.
#7 of 20 Old 12-15-2007, 03:07 PM

We hide them in the closet. All our Christmas gifts are in the closet, and the ones from Santa are behind everything else. I also have a dedicated roll of "Santa wrap". At some point, I'll wrap the Santa gifts and stash them again. If they'll fit, we put them up top in our closet, and hide them under the piles of old clothes that we've been meaning to sort out for a year and a half.

Stocking stuffers are shoved into the back corner of our closet, in bags.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#8 of 20 Old 12-15-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoTwo View Post
Where do you hide your gifts? Do you wrap them and then hide? Hide them unwrapped and then wrap all night Christmas Eve? I have some hidden in my closet -though my kids play store in there a lot and I am constantly running in to see and make sure they havent discovered my stash! LOL I also have a few items in my parents garage. Nothing is wrapped yet though.
Why would you hide any gifts in a place where they play a lot? That kinda makes no sense.
#9 of 20 Old 12-16-2007, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

yah but if you could see my closet it would! LOL there are lots of nooks and crannies in there and they generally just play at the doorway.
#10 of 20 Old 12-16-2007, 05:43 AM

I use the purloined letter method.

Several small items are in the plastic store bag and just scrunched up and stacked on the top of a bookshelf in the family bedroom. I have been cluttering DD's drawers by putting clothed that are to small up on the self along with bags of things to donate. (Every thing's up high since DD would just put the to small clothes back in her drawers and wear them some more. I have to be low key moving her old stuff to the car to donate-so it collects until the right moment present it self. DD is not ready to just give away her "stuff".)

I also told her that Santa was mailing some presents to our house early (so we can take them to grandma's house for Christmas) so any boxes that arrive go under the tree unopened. This is totally working! She's excited to see the boxes but OK to wait to open them. I have been wrapping up the stuff and putting it back in the box when I get a chance. Can I just say I love shopping online!

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#11 of 20 Old 12-16-2007, 04:18 PM

We spend the night at my parents house (one hour away) and Santa comes there. So I've done most of my shopping on the weekends with my Mom, and she'll take the stuff back to her house.

We've got a few things to pick up this week, and I'll probably just keep them in the trunk.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#12 of 20 Old 12-16-2007, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We hide them in our closet. Our closet is so jammed with clothes and junk that, if one of our children can actually manage to get past all that stuff to find the Christmas presents in the way, way back, more power to them!

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#13 of 20 Old 12-17-2007, 01:21 AM

They're all hidden in the main coat closet. Fortunately ds doesn't go in there (and if he does he'll get lost ). They are almost all wrapped

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#14 of 20 Old 12-17-2007, 01:28 AM

Most of ds's gifts are still on the UPS truck. When they get here I'll just leave them and do all the wrapping on Christmas Eve after he goes to bed. He's only 2.5, so he hasn't exactly caught on to it all yet.

Dh's are hidden in my sister's closet.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#15 of 20 Old 12-17-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needle in the Hay View Post
I hide them in our suitcases! I got this idea from my mom and it works well. For now they are unwrapped.

Hey, that's a great idea! Thanks!

(OP - DS is six months old. He has a present wrapped in dedicated Santa paper. It's "hidden" on the top shelf of the office closet, while the rest of the presents are under the tree. As he's 6 m.o., I'm not too worried about him finding it, but I was dorky enough to wrap it in separate paper and "hide" it. DH is also banned from talking about it in front of DS. )

Writer, wife to a great DH, AP mama to one sweet boy 6/07 and expecting a girl in October!
#16 of 20 Old 12-17-2007, 09:07 AM

I have storage space in a knee wall next to a dormer. So far my son has been trained to stay out of there but the day may come when it requires a lock.

Kris wife to Stew and mom to Joey 8/03 who cares for , 2 frogs and a worm
#17 of 20 Old 12-17-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needle in the Hay View Post
See, that wouldn't work for us since the kids go on "trips" with our suitcases all the time. For now, our are in my closet, unrapped and covered with blankets and shoes. Next year, though, we're going to have to get creative, like maybe the hayloft in the barn.
#18 of 20 Old 12-17-2007, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
another one here who doesn't wrap Santa presents, but we do wrap presents from Mom and Dad. I haven't wrapped a thing yet, though. All my stuff is stashed in the guest room closet. They rarely go in there.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#19 of 20 Old 12-17-2007, 02:16 PM

I've never heard of wrapping gifts from Santa! So obviously, Santa doesn't wrap his gifts at our house! I think Santa must be lazy and tired by the time he gets to our roof!

All the gifts (the wrapped ones from me and DH and the unwrapped ones from Santa) our hidden in the garage under a large tarp. The only time the kids are in the garage is when they're going to and from the car, and so they're never alone in there to go exploring.

I put the wrapped ones under the tree in the days leading up to Christmas, one gift at a time.

DH hides his gifts to me in the attic, b/c he knows I NEVER go up there - attics give me the willies! My gifts to him are under the same tarp as the kids' gifts.

I like the idea about hiding gifts in suitcases! I'm definitely going to file that one away!
#20 of 20 Old 12-17-2007, 02:23 PM

I stash all gifts in rubbermaid tubs in the storage room in our basement. I take out gifts whenever I have time and ds is asleep or not around and wrap. Santa gifts are wrapped and tagged with special "santa" wrapping.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page