WWYD if your child/ren unwrapped the presents under the tree? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We don't put any presents under the tree 'til x-mas eve for just that reason. I always unwrapped and rewrapped as a kid. I don't give my kids the chance.

I certainly don't think I would interrogate them like THAT, though. Seems kinda harsh to me. Poor kiddos.

If you can't take the heat get out of the Kitchen.
#62 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
I don't get how a two year old is going to understand that they're not to open them....
Oh my gosh - I sure hope my sarcasim was clear in my post Am I losing my edge?
#63 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think the way they handled it was terrible.

I don't get what they thought might happen with kids that young. I'd prob let them have one out, rewrap the rest, maybe buy one or two more new things that they didn't know, and put them away until it was time to open.

Poor kids.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#64 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 05:17 PM

I do what my parents did, I put the presents under the tree after my kids go to bed on Christmas Eve. I don't expect small children to have that kind of impulse control.

:
#65 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 05:21 PM

[QUOTE=Marsupialmom;10061812]At 2 and 4 I would laugh it off. I might have them help me re-wrap some of the gifts. Honestly at that age I wouldn't have even had any under the tree to tempt them. Especially the 2 year old isn't mature enough to with stand an impulse and temptation.
QUOTE]

Totally! Dd is almost 6, and ds is 3.5. I don't put their gifts out until they're in bed on Christmas Eve. There's no way they could control themselves if there were gifts for them under there. They like looking at the gifts for friends and family, but they haven't attempted to unwrap them. I guess knowing what is in them takes the curiosity away.

Oh, and this is actually the first year that I've put out any wrapped presents at all. I think this is the first year that they "get" that the presents are to be unwrapped by the people receiving them.
#66 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 05:21 PM

Goodness...like kids that young understand why they are being punished so severely. Sheesh...

If they were 12 and 14 I might understand a bit more...but 2 & 4? Thats silly

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#67 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 05:26 PM

We only do four gifts and stocking stuffers, so it's not much to keep hidden. Thus, no gifts under the tree until Christmas morning. She's not the type to get into something like that though, so I wouldn't be worried about putting gifts out ahead of time, but that's just her. I've seen other two year olds that I wouldn't be so sure of.

If I DID put gifts under the tree, I would be more mad at myself for leaving them alone long enough to unwrap them all than I would be mad at the kids for physically unwrapping them.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#68 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 05:28 PM

Our kids are almost that old, and our strategy to prevent that situation was have DS1 help wrap, and talk a lot about how we were going to open these on Christmas, which is when Aunt and Uncle will be here. Are we gonna open them when Aunt and Uncle aren't here? No. Should we open them today? No. Should we wait until Christmas? Yes!
Then we put the presents out of reach of DS2.
And DS1 and I talk every day about how many more days we have until Aunt and Uncle get here, and how many days until Christmas, etc. We had a countdown like this for Thanksgiving and he seems to understand that certain things happen on certain days.

That all said, if they did open the presents in advance, they would help re-wrap them. There wouldn't be much more to it. They're babies, for pete's sake.
#69 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 05:30 PM

I think the parents should have been punished and the children should have gotten cookies and milk.

#70 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
... if they opened presents for themselves, I'd probably just let them keep them but explain that we really wanted to open them all together and that they will have less to open on christmas as a result - I might give her the option of rewrapping them. I would not put any more under the tree if they did it once though.

:
#71 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 05:36 PM

At 2 and 4 I'd be blaming myself for leaving them unsupervised. It's surely isn't their fault.
#72 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStateMama View Post
I think that someone who puts presents under the tree - in sight of and in reach of toddlers/preschoolers doesn't get where they are developmentally, at all. It's an impulse control thing, they just don't have it at all, at 2, and it's still developing in a 4 year old. Parent's job to control the environment, not the kid's job to defy their natural impulse to explore and be nosy.
Well, I just said we have all our presents wrapped and under our tree with our 3 year old.

I only have one child. I do not have a lot of experience with other children. It's absolutely not an issue with our son. He would just not do that.

All kids are not the same.

Besides, my son is not really unsupervised for any long period of time. He likes us to all play together, not play on his own.
#73 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 05:50 PM

use more tape next time.

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!
#74 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 05:55 PM

I'm sorry they handled it the way they did. I would consider it a lesson learned for me.

Angie: mama to Erika and Ani: dw to Ole:::
#75 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
At 2 and 4 I'd be blaming myself for leaving them unsupervised. It's surely isn't their fault.
Totally this

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#76 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I just said we have all our presents wrapped and under our tree with our 3 year old.

I only have one child. I do not have a lot of experience with other children. It's absolutely not an issue with our son. He would just not do that.

All kids are not the same.

Besides, my son is not really unsupervised for any long period of time.
That's cool he has that self-control. Maybe my 4 year old would be able to handle it, but I think that two together tend to play off each other a bit. My 2 year old is a bit of an instigator and he is far more likely to do something he's not supposed to if she leads the way.

Mine are usually unsupervised for long periods of time when I let them get out the knives or matches.

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#77 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Mine are usually unsupervised for long periods of time when I let them get out the knives or matches.

I'm sure we'll be in trouble with 2 kids, but seriously, my one kid is not really the getting in to stuff type.
#78 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 06:09 PM

I question the judgement of putting the presents out this early, but I can see how unsupervised presents could be opened without anyone noticing until it was too late.

I thought you were going to say that they were told that they couldn't have the presents ever, which is a threat I've heard people use before
#79 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
That's cool he has that self-control. Maybe my 4 year old would be able to handle it, but I think that two together tend to play off each other a bit. My 2 year old is a bit of an instigator and he is far more likely to do something he's not supposed to if she leads the way.

That's how mine are. Blake is usually pretty good at doing what he should, but if Gavin, say, gets up on the kitchen table, stomping and yelling, Blake will follow suit. I never thought it'd be the baby giving the older one bad ideas.
#80 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I never thought it'd be the baby giving the older one bad ideas.
Seriously!

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#81 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 06:37 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmom View Post
At 2 and 4 I would laugh it off. I might have them help me re-wrap some of the gifts. Honestly at that age I wouldn't have even had any under the tree to tempt them. Especially the 2 year old isn't mature enough to with stand an impulse and temptation.
:

And letting a 2 yo. eat dinner in his/her bedroom is a scary thought.

There's just something ironic about punishment being doled out because, "dangit, kid, I wanted your gift to be a surprise." Um, "little less love, little more common decency," as the song goes.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#82 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82 View Post
I never thought it'd be the baby giving the older one bad ideas.
My little brother gave me every bad idea I ever had!

No, really!

I MEAN IT.

Uh, don't tell him I said so, though, okay?
#83 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 06:54 PM

We don't have presents under the tree for that very reason - it's not fair to ask young children to sit and look at the gifts, and expect them not to open them for days/weeks. I think it's too much to ask of them, and it's setting them up to fail. All of our presents go under the tree when the children are in bed Christmas eve.

DS:15 DD:12 DS:7 DS:5
Surrogate baby born: 9/17/12
Surrogate baby due: 12/14/14
#84 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 06:58 PM

I would have kicked myself in the ass for being so stupid as to leave those gifts there with a 2 yo and a 4 yo around.
#85 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 07:10 PM

There are gifts under the tree right now, and I know the kids may unwrap them. If they do, I'll rewrap them and put them up. It's hard to find space for them all, which is why they're under the tree. But, if the gamble doesn't pay off, I'll try to find somewhere...and just explain that the gifts are for Christmas, and are for other people (I don't have the gifts for our kids under the tree yet, because if they open those, they'll know what they are.) I'm glad they're more interested in pulling ornaments off the tree, though. Actually, dd is leaving everything alone, but ds2 isn't even quite two and a half - anything is possible!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#86 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 07:31 PM

I'm also half horrified and half amused at the punishment. There is no way on earth I'd make my kids eat dinner in their rooms. I won't even allow my kids to eat dinner in their rooms. Our house rule is absolutely no food upstairs - ever. It applies to everyone.

Actually, aside from the computer desk, where I keep my sunflower seeds, the only time we let food out of the kitchen and dining area is when we make a big bowl of popcorn when we're watching a movie.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#87 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 07:32 PM

My oldest did that when he was little. There were only a few presents so it wasn't a big deal. We just told him that those were for Christmas morning and we taped them up again.

I don't know what I would have done if it had been ALL the presents. Probably the same thing.
#88 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Nikki~ View Post
My 2 year old found his gift this year at his grandmother's house. He had pulled it out of the gift bag, came running out and said "Look a car. A car for me?" And his grandmother said "Yes, it IS a car. Very nice! Lets put that back now", and just placed it back in the bag and put the bag up high where he couldn't see it. :P I thought that was a good way to handle it.
I think Grandma handled it really well

He'll still be excited when he opens it I'm sure since he's only 2.
#89 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboroson View Post
I would have kicked myself in the ass for being so stupid as to leave those gifts there with a 2 yo and a 4 yo around.

Our gifts don't out until chritmas eve. One year though DD was probably around 2 and found a book in my closet and she was so thrilled,. It was just an early present.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#90 of 91 Old 12-20-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post

That said, my aunt took away her children's gifts (ALL of them) when they opened them and didn't give them back. I think that's a pretty unreasonable response to 2 and 4 yr old behavior (and sort of what I guessed the OP was going to say).
That was just plain mean, no matter what age the kids were

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page