Preschool age children in "I am Legend" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 200 Old 12-24-2007, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My parents watched the kids this afternoon during the baby's nap and we went to see "I am Legend". It was the first movie we had been to in a couple of years and we really enjoyed it except....

There was a couple behind us with two little kids (probably 4 & 5) who were crying and asking to leave the scary movie. I thought it was really scary and haven't been able to get the kids out of my mind for hours. Truthfully, dh and I talked and it seems like the movie should have been R rather than PG-13, not that we think a 4 or 5 year old should see a PG-13 movie...

Has anyone seen it, is it me?
#2 of 200 Old 12-24-2007, 01:10 AM

Quote:
who were crying and asking to leave the scary movie.
If the parents didn't leave, I would have complained to the management.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 200 Old 12-24-2007, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

We actually did (they told us that if the rating has PG in it it is up to the parents) Another man in the audience actually asked the parents to leave and the mom took the kids to the bathroom but she brought them back a few minutes later
#4 of 200 Old 12-24-2007, 01:14 AM

That's just awful. I just don't get why some parents do that.

DH and I almost never go see movies because the kids are too young and it's not worth the babysitter money. Instead we get movies from the "red box" for $1 and watch them after the kids have gone to sleep. If we think the movie will be okay for the 3.5 year old, we take it slow and if she gets scared, we turn it off.
#5 of 200 Old 12-24-2007, 01:25 AM

I absolutely agree with you about the rating. It should have been 'R'. The only thing I can figure is that they rated it PG-13 because there's no sexual content. Because, you know, sex is a no-no for teenagers but extreme violence is A-OK.

There was a little boy, about 3 or 4, in the theater when I saw it. It was really disturbing that his parents thought it was okay to bring him. What disturbed me even more is that he wasn't the least bit bothered by it.
#6 of 200 Old 12-24-2007, 02:29 AM

I'm kinda scared to see it. Just the previews looked scary.

Some parents don't really care if it upsets their kids, or ruins the movie for others, they just think they "deserve" a night out, and the rest of us apparently should just suck it up and be more understanding.

I didn't get to go see a grown up movie in a theater until my daughter was ten, and even then it was movies like Free Willy.

I have been in several grown up movies where kids were shlepped along. The movies are boring for the kids, I don't even see how a parent can have fun with their children begging to leave.
#7 of 200 Old 12-24-2007, 07:13 AM

Poor kiddos. I have not seen the movie, but I have seen the previews, and my Ds just went and saw it the other day so I heard quite a bit. I don't think there should be an across the board "No kids!" rule for every single violent/scary/sexuality involved movie, but I am right there with you on being saddened by seeing overwhelmed and frightened children forced to watch a movie they are not ready for. Parents ought to be more mindful than that IMO.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#8 of 200 Old 12-24-2007, 07:21 AM

Definatly not a movie I would take my kids to. We saw it Thursday night also the first time me and dh had been to a movie in many years. There were only older people there and half of them left talking about how scared they were.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#9 of 200 Old 12-24-2007, 08:22 AM

I haven't seen it, but heard enough about it to know that I wouldn't say it's appropriate for a 4 or 5 year old. To me PG 13 usually means more of "ages 10-13, NOT that it's okay for a young child to see it.
I just don't see how she could even be sitting there listening to her kids ask her to leave the 'scary movie' and just keep sitting there!
#10 of 200 Old 12-24-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
I don't think there should be an across the board "No kids!" rule for every single violent/scary/sexuality involved movie, but I am right there with you on being saddened by seeing overwhelmed and frightened children forced to watch a movie they are not ready for. Parents ought to be more mindful than that IMO.
I agree.

We actually saw the movie yesterday with my five year old. She wasn't at all scared, and never has been during stuff like that (and she's seen some movies that really freak me out). She giggled at me when something happened that made me jump.

It was a really good movie. However, the power went out last night for a few minutes and I was totally picturing the infected humans coming after me in the dark!

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#11 of 200 Old 12-24-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessy1019 View Post
However, the power went out last night for a few minutes and I was totally picturing the infected humans coming after me in the dark!
:

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#12 of 200 Old 12-24-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
:
that is me all the time when it comes to scary movies. I enjoyed them so much more when I was little . . . probably why I don't have a problem letting my kid watch what she wants. There may come a time when this stuff freaks her out too much!

Really, though, I am Legend didn't scare me as much as a lot of horror movies do. There was so much more to it than just horror stuff.

Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#13 of 200 Old 12-24-2007, 06:00 PM

I don't think it's R worthy, but I wouldn't have taken DS to see it by any stretch.
#14 of 200 Old 12-24-2007, 06:20 PM

We recently saw American Gangster and the same thing happened. The children were 5-7 and all I could think about was them being exposed to that level of brutality and violence at that age......

I realize that every parent makes their own decisions about movies, but some times it just leaves me

I'm still trying to decide about allowing my 12 yo ds to go see it with my dh. He hasn't seen any really scary movies in the theater yet and I'm not sure if it would be too intense.
#15 of 200 Old 12-24-2007, 10:33 PM

And people wonder why kids are so violent? Not that that's the only reason..but I really do believe that kids who are exposed to violence, be it on TV or in the home, are much more likely to act out violently themselves. Some parents really don't have any common sense. Poor kids.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#16 of 200 Old 12-25-2007, 12:47 AM

Poor kids! That will seriously warp their minds, trust me! My brother is 8 years older then me and he would babysit me and always watched those scary movies. Zombies, chainsaw massacre...It was horrible and it left me a very paranoid adult!!!!

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#17 of 200 Old 12-25-2007, 01:11 AM

I think people would be wise to drop the blanket statements here.

My personal experience as a child and as a parent directly contradicts the two previous posts.

Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#18 of 200 Old 12-25-2007, 01:47 AM

Honestly, I think people with kids age 5 or under shouldn't be allowed into movies that are more than G rated. Or they should be allowed in on special days only.

I say this because I have yet to see a single movie that was above G rated where, if a child aged 5 or below was there, did NOT make noise. I personally don't care what people expose their kids to. But, don't take them to movies that you want to personally see and where your child is bored or scared and making noise, thereby disturbing my viewing.

So, I agree - don't take them. But, I'm coming from the very selfish viewpoint. Don't take them because it disturbs my viewing, lol.
#19 of 200 Old 12-25-2007, 02:43 AM

Quote:
I think people would be wise to drop the blanket statements here.

My personal experience as a child and as a parent directly contradicts the two previous posts.
How old is your oldest child? The impact of watching violence, etc., doesn't always become apparent until later. And sometimes the impacts aren't outwardly obvious but still run quite deep. I know that I'm still, at 32 years old, discovering the ways my early exposure to twisted things effected me. Besides that, children go through phases where they seem better able to handle things and then are much more sensitive. That's certainly been the case with my 7-year-old.

In addition, I have to wonder, "what's the point?" Why do children need to see things like a creature dragging a human being around by the neck and shaking him like a vicious dog?
#20 of 200 Old 12-25-2007, 03:47 AM

I think all kids are diffrent and therefore ready for diffrent things at diffrent ages. But if my four year old child was CRYING and BEGGING to leave, I'd leave. Gee, if thats not an obvious sign that they were NOT ready to see soemthing like that, what is? Poor kids. I mean, at that age, they dont always understand the line between fantasy and reality. They saw it on the movie, its real.

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#21 of 200 Old 12-25-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic View Post
Honestly, I think people with kids age 5 or under shouldn't be allowed into movies that are more than G rated. Or they should be allowed in on special days only.

I say this because I have yet to see a single movie that was above G rated where, if a child aged 5 or below was there, did NOT make noise. I personally don't care what people expose their kids to. But, don't take them to movies that you want to personally see and where your child is bored or scared and making noise, thereby disturbing my viewing.

So, I agree - don't take them. But, I'm coming from the very selfish viewpoint. Don't take them because it disturbs my viewing, lol.
I absolutely hate people who disturb movies . . . but people of all ages do it. When we were at I am Legend, it was the people in the back talking loudly who annoyed me. My daughter didn't make a sound because she knows better.

I think movie theater management should be stricter about booting people out if they are making noise -- children and adults alike. I don't think the answer is a blanket ban on kids in movies with a greater than G rating.

Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#22 of 200 Old 12-25-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
How old is your oldest child?
She's five, but I'm 27 and haven't had any ill-effects from watching adult-themed movies as a child. I am not concerned that my children will, either.

Quote:
In addition, I have to wonder, "what's the point?" Why do children need to see things like a creature dragging a human being around by the neck and shaking him like a vicious dog?
What's the point of any form of entertainment? We go because we enjoy the experience of watching a movie and talking about it as a family. Children (and adults) don't NEED to see anything or participate in ANY form of entertainment . . . but as long as they're enjoying it, it's good by me.

I also think that there was so much more to that movie than monsters and violence . . . and all the rest is the stuff we've been talking about.

Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#23 of 200 Old 12-25-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic View Post

I have to disagree When my youngest ds was a baby he went to lots of movies with me. He either nursed or slept and didn't make a peep. He wasn't at all into the movie, I'll admit but he also wasn't disruptive. He was just the kind of baby who would sit quietly in my lap. If I had had an active, noisy baby I would have stayed home.

I did have to stop taking him to any movies for a while when he was a toddler and all he wanted to do was run around. By that time we only went to kids movies but even at those, I took him out if he was disruptive. Luckily the phase passed quickly.
#24 of 200 Old 12-25-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
She's five, but I'm 27 and haven't had any ill-effects from watching adult-themed movies as a child. I am not concerned that my children will, either.
I am glad it didnt bother you, but your kids arent you. Something that frightens them, might not you. I watched alot of "adult" movies growing up, but that doesnt mean that I want my children exposed do that b/c "it didnt effect me" That is just a rather immature attitude, IMO.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#25 of 200 Old 12-25-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
I am glad it didnt bother you, but your kids arent you. Something that frightens them, might not you. I watched alot of "adult" movies growing up, but that doesnt mean that I want my children exposed do that b/c "it didnt effect me" That is just a rather immature attitude, IMO.
I actually have a lot of reasons for letting my kids watch the things that they choose to watch, only one of my reasons being that I was allowed the same freedom as a child. I don't believe in censorship, for one thing. I trust my children to tell me if something is bothering them so that we can work it out, for another. I trust myself to know my own kids and what will work for them, even if it goes against the grain. I trust my instincts where my children are concerned. I believe that there's nothing we can't talk about or explain in terms they can understand. Etc, etc.

I am very comfortable with my decisions and decision-making process.

And to the poster who mentioned bringing her little ones to the movies a lot. We always did the same, and it's been great for all of us. It makes me : when I hear parents of young babies talking about how they "never go the movies anymore." There's no reason at all not to take a nursing infant.

Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#26 of 200 Old 12-25-2007, 09:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
I actually have a lot of reasons for letting my kids watch the things that they choose to watch, only one of my reasons being that I was allowed the same freedom as a child. I don't believe in censorship, for one thing. I trust my children to tell me if something is bothering them so that we can work it out, for another. I trust myself to know my own kids and what will work for them, even if it goes against the grain. I trust my instincts where my children are concerned. I believe that there's nothing we can't talk about or explain in terms they can understand. Etc, etc.

I am very comfortable with my decisions and decision-making process.

And to the poster who mentioned bringing her little ones to the movies a lot. We always did the same, and it's been great for all of us. It makes me when I hear parents of young babies talking about how they "never go the movies anymore." There's no reason at all not to take a nursing infant.
I agree with you entirely. My children (almost 7, almost 3, and 11 months) are allowed to watch whatever movies DH and I are watching. We don't generally take them to R rated movies (because that's our child free time ) but we do take them to the movies. They rarely have nightmares and have never had one after seing a horror movie. They're not any more violent than other children their ages. They're not desensited to real life cruelty and my oldest actually cries if I go to kill a spider. I'm sure all of you who are opposed to children watching horror movies will think I'm lying or delusional and that's fine--you can believe whatever you want.

They've been going since birth and they don't cause any problems. The one time the middle child threw a fit (during a kids movie) I took her out until she calmed down. No biggie. If you don't expose your children to the movie theatre, you only have yourself to blame if they make a scene when you do take them.
#27 of 200 Old 12-25-2007, 11:30 PM

I think if a child isn't bothered by the level of violence seen in many R-rated movies, that's a sign of desensitization. And the data actually appears to support that. Personally, I don't see that as a healthy thing... but different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Oh, and the censorship issue doesn't really hold water for me. If a child had the experience to thoroughly understand the impact that a movie like that might have on him/her, that would be one thing. Young children simply don't have the life experience to enable that level of awareness or decision-making. That's why they have parents - to guide them and support them as they grow into a person who can make those decisions. I feel like it's disrespectful of children to treat them as little adults who always know what's good for them.
#28 of 200 Old 12-25-2007, 11:42 PM

I totally agree that different kids are ready for different things at different ages, but if my kid was crying and asking to leave, I would leave. And if I for some reason didn't notice that my kids were upset and someone else asked me to leave, I would leave.

I actually left a movie because of this (not my kids, someone elses) and told the manager why I was leaving. I went to see 1408 (scary stephan king-john cusak movie), it's a horror movie, and someone brought in two kids, one about 5 and one about 3 and sat behind us. I got really shaky and knew if I stayed, I'd be thinking about them and crying the whole movie (I was pregnant too, so those hormones may have played a role in the crying part). But we left and told the management why. I was so glad we left, but we saw a crappy movie instead, and we don't get out much, so I was annoyed about that, plus, i thought about those kids anyway, even though they were in a different theater.

R~mama to 3

#29 of 200 Old 12-26-2007, 12:17 AM

I don't think kids under a certain age shouldn't be allowed into an R or PG-13 movie because they might disrupt other people, but because THEY ARE CHILDREN! Society has a DUTY (although its been sadly forgotten and abandoned by most people it seems) to protect children from unnecessary trauma and violence. If I managed a movie theater and saw parents walking into a movie like I Am Legend with a 4 year old I would INSIST that they leave immediately. Some people just have really questionable judgment, at least in my opinion, and that is all the more reason why the theater should be allowed to establish a rule like this-TO PROTECT THE CHILDREN.
#30 of 200 Old 12-26-2007, 12:53 AM

Several posts have been removed from this thread. Let's work together to keep this thread as a productive conversation. If you don't see your post and wonder why, pm me and I will let you know. Thank you

Whatever will be, already is...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page