Do you ever prevent/discourage a "late" nap? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 34 Old 08-22-2003, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you ever done this? I feel like such a non-ap mom for doing this.

My daughter didn't nap today, despite me providing a good atmosphere and nursing her, etc. for over 2 hrs. Then 5:30 came and she started dozing off. My H argued that I should just let her sleep, but I woke her up after a few minutes because I know that if I let her sleep til she was ready to wake up, she'd be up til midnight or later. My H thought I was wrong and I should have followed her cues and just let her sleep whenever.

So I'm wondering - do you let your child (toddler - almost 2 yr old) sleep whenever, or do you encourage her/him to not nap if it's getting a little late in the day for a nap?

Btw, this doesn't happen very often, maybe once a month or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 08-22-2003, 11:52 PM

I usually discourage late naps so the kids aren't up all night. The only time I go with it is if DH is home (he works overnights and stays up all night on his days off, too) or if they're sick. Usually, I can distract them and keep them up with one trick or another (food, games, bath, etc.)

If your husband will be the one staying up with her until all hours of the morning, sure, let her sleep. If it will be you, I think you're right and it's better to deal with a couple hours of cranky, tired baby than staying up until midnight or later.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#3 of 34 Old 08-23-2003, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

I agree with you. But afterwards I got to thinking about how it's not really following her cues. Just wondered if anyone else wrestled with that.

#4 of 34 Old 08-23-2003, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have done it. I stopped being so ... for want of a better word... dogmatic about her cues when she became a toddler and began to have wants that were clearly seperate from her needs. I also do not feel like the childs needs always supercede those of the adults in the house. We are a family... give and take. I agree with Shel... if there is someone who will not have to lose sleep to tend a wakeful toddler in the middle of the night it's different. It is also, obviously, different if the child is not well.
#5 of 34 Old 08-23-2003, 02:08 AM

I definitely discourage late naps. Now I discourage them all together truthfully, and we stopped naps with dd about six months ago when she turned two years. The issue is that if she sleeps during the day for more than about 20 minutes, she'll stay awake until 10 p.m. Not late if you don't have to get up at 5 a.m. the next day, but very late in our family. We're early to bed early to rise people. It's rare that she wants to nap, but if she's looking/acting tired, I definitely switch to physical activities, such as going outside, to wake her up a bit and deter the napping behavior. It wears on my psyche too much, I like a little quiet time at night, and truthfully, I'm a better parent when I get some time just to quietly think my own thoughts. I see your dh's point though.

Leah
#6 of 34 Old 08-23-2003, 03:48 AM

Cues shmues. If I listened to my toddler's "cues" I would be giving him candy for lunch every day and he is only 13 months.

If after a half hour of trying to get him to nap and he still won't fall asleep I get him up and give him some physical activities to tire him out and then try again. After 5:30 pm I usually don't let him go to sleep though simply because he would be up too late and then wake up the next morning without enough sleep making the whole next day a bad one.
#7 of 34 Old 08-23-2003, 04:49 AM

DS skipped his nap today too. At about 5:30 he started to get a dreamy look in his eyes as he was nursing so I tickled him back into reality. If I would've let him fall asleep I would've been chasing him around the apartment until 1 in the morning. And to be perfectly honest I really don't do my most effective parenting after 9:30pm. So to save us all from late night misery, if ds skips his afternoon nap, we just struggle to keep him occupied and happy until 7:30.
#8 of 34 Old 08-23-2003, 09:36 AM

I agree with the pp. You sometimes have to do what is best for everyone in the family, and so long as the child is not exhausted/terribly cranky, and you can make them happy to stay awake, then go for it! It is different when they are sick, of course, but otherwise, I think it's ok to discourage the late nap. My ds will nap most days from 2-6 and I'd like to wake him from it earlier so he'd go to bed earlier, but I have tried it a few times and it really upsets him, so I am living with a 10-10:30 bed time.

We all do our best, and do what it takes to be "at our best".

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#9 of 34 Old 08-23-2003, 02:25 PM

OMG - 2-6. I would KILL for my DS to sleep more than 2 hours at a time. And even then he will only do it if I am laying down next to him (if I don't lay next to him he will only sleep 45 minutes). I will sit here and dream about all I could get done if he slept 4 straight hours.
#10 of 34 Old 08-23-2003, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies. I like reading more about what you all think. I am still learning how to do the toddler-mom thing (aren't we all?).

And, no, for those who asked - H did not stay up with her. We are separated and he went to his own apt at 7pm. I was up with her til 10pm.
#11 of 34 Old 08-23-2003, 03:11 PM

I let Ds nap when he wants to because if I don't he gets REALLY crazy because he's trying to stay awake. It's like he knows if he sits still for more than 60 seconds he'll pass out! LOL

That said, when he does take a late nap, he usually only stays awake an hour later than normal.
#12 of 34 Old 08-23-2003, 09:35 PM

I have no idea how discouraging a nap looks like! Its not possible! "He' dictates if that will happen or not, if I intervene it does not work for him (or me).

No Ive never disrupted his rhythms. It simply wouldnt work in our lives. When he's tired , he sleeps! I do the same.

And yes he is up until midnight most nights, but then so am I so it works in our lifestyle.

BUT!! I am looking forward to the time he drops the naps (I know he might possibly always keep them yikes!)
Occasionally he sleeps by 10pm, this is an exciting event for me LOL

He is 3yo now.
#13 of 34 Old 08-23-2003, 11:10 PM

Sometime during this year ds phased out naps (for the most part). He's 3 3/4. But as he was able to stay awake longer, his nap kept getting later and later. I went with it until he was napping until 8:00pm, then decided not to offer a nap (he nurses down) after a certain time. If he is totally exhausted and falls asleep on the floor, I don't interfere - rarely happens though! Dh could never figure out when bedtime was, because if it was a no-nap day, I might put ds to bed at 7:30. If not, it might be 10:30!
#14 of 34 Old 08-24-2003, 01:20 AM

Quote:
... by kama'aina mama
... I also do not feel like the child's needs always supercede those of the adults in the house ...

There's the heart of it IMO. Whether or not "it's AP" isn't the question for me. It's whether or not it's the right thing to do at that moment. And sometimes pushing them to stay awake so that all sleep better that night (and the friendly neighborhood WAHM ... me ... works better that night) is the right thing to do.
#15 of 34 Old 08-24-2003, 01:46 AM

are struggling with this same issue.I am so relieved to know I am not the only one who wonders if its right to prevent my DD from sleeping if she needs to.She Loves to sneak in those late naps and be up till 1am.I try hard to get her down early.She fights naptime and sometimes if we were up till one the night before and we sleep in she is legitimately not tired till later which keeps moving our schedule later and later.My MIL says just wake her up earlier in the morning but I am tired and dont have the discipline to do that.I also feel its kinda mean to wake get her up if shes tired.I wouldnt want someone doing that to me, kwim??
Anyhow(wow,am I rambling or what??) some days we forgo the nap if I can keep her busy.Other days she fights nap till its late and I figure ok we will have early bedtime and then she will climb up on me and conk right out...like this could ever happen when I want it too!!I will not wake her at this point.Obviously she needs to sleep and I either nap with her or enjoy my calm before the storm ,,,hehe.Occasionally if I am desperate to move bedtime to a more reasonable hour I will let her take her late nap but wake her after and hour or so.This way she is not totally recharged and may be tired sooner....doesnt always work ,btw.
Here is a question ...when we are visiting MIL and Emily hasnt had a nap MIL will always say dont let her fall asleep on the way home.How in the Hell do you keep an exhausted toddler awake in moving car???I give up///LOL

Linda
#16 of 34 Old 08-24-2003, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Ha! We just had a totally disrupted night because of a 6 month old who napped late.(4PM to 6:30) Ah well, he had to have a nap and we had lots of people around so he wasn't getting sleepy. We probably need to provide less excitement.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#17 of 34 Old 08-24-2003, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by untomySelf
I have no idea how discouraging a nap looks like! Its not possible! "He' dictates if that will happen or not, if I intervene it does not work for him (or me).
Ditto for my almost 3-year-old. I WISH I could prevent/discourage naps as he's up 'til all hours of the night (not a huge deal as I am, too, but it would be nice to have a few hours to myself at the end of the night occasionally), but once he's exhausted enough to actually consider sleep, there's no turning back. If I pick him up, whatever, his head will just loll to the side and he'll keep on snoozing. I'm thinking he might be borderline narcoleptic like his dad.... the kid can sleep anywhere, through just about anything.

It doesn't help that he's in that awkward in-between phase of almost not needing a nap but not quite able to go without it. These days naptime is consistently about 4 p.m. and bedtime is between 11 and midnight.
#18 of 34 Old 08-24-2003, 05:13 PM

Discouraging naps when they're already 3/4 asleep doesn't work at all. By that point, I just have to let it go. It's when she's more cranky and irritable and sleepy. To distract, I will play games, read books, give a snack, make her help clean up the house, etc. When they were little babies, I would let them sleep whenever, but now that they're older that just doesn't work. If they're really sleepy at 5 pm, I'll stall with dinner and bathtime and try to get them to sleep by 8- that's late enough for bed, but 5 is too early for bed, but too late for nap. We usually go to bed between 9 and 10, so if dd sleeps at 5, she'll fight to stay up until 11 or 12.

But again, if there's just nothing I can do to distract, I'll let her sleep, but then we deal with late wake up the next morning and it snowballs.

I'm rambling- hope it makes half ounce of sense.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#19 of 34 Old 08-24-2003, 08:31 PM

You know what I'm finding so interesting about this thread, is that it seems all the toddlers are pretty much the same: my daughter will also stay up quite late if she has a late nap during the day.

This kind of "predictability" is very new for us. Just over a month ago, DH and I were tracking her naps and they had no correlation with bedtime. But in that time she's become extremely active and now things are totally different. Not only is she going to bed before 9 o'clock every night (unheard of for the first 11 months of her life!) but she takes one nap, and if that is late she will be up until almost 11 pm.

When talking about newborns and babies, it seems all our little ones had their own, and often different, rhythms. But now as toddlers they are all "evening out" such that many of us have toddlers who are doing the exact same thing (going to bed fairly early, but not if they have a late nap).

Ugh, I know I'm babbling, but do you see what I'm getting at here? To me it is just further evidence that most kids will just naturally grow into a "normal" bedtime and nap pattern when they get older, and that sleep training for babies is not absolutely necessary (as my mother swore I'd have a kid who went to bed at 11 pm for the rest of her life, lol).

Oh yeah, I do try to "discourage" late naps, but if she falls asleep I won't wake her up. I'm tempted, LOL, but I just can't bring myself to do it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mama to DD14 and DS12, both born on MDC.
#20 of 34 Old 08-24-2003, 08:45 PM
Banned

The only time I do that is if she's dozing off when we're just a few minutes or less from the house. If she sleeps in the car, she won't sleep in the house. And I consider ANY sleeping she does a BLESSING because it means time to myself!!! :LOL
#21 of 34 Old 08-24-2003, 09:10 PM

Generally, we try to avoid late naps.
I've noticed hyperactivity when my kids get super tired. Then it makes it five times as hard to get them to nap.... then they just totally crash out around dinnertime. I don't think that passing out from exhaustion is really following a child's cues, either. I've noticed that if I'm actually AT HOME late in the morning (we do lots of playgroups and social activities in the am. that usually carry on until early afternoon), my DS takes his best, most restful naps around 10:30 or so, then he'll take a short one in midafternoon. However, if he skips a morning snooze, it actually makes it harder to put him down later in the day. My DD really sleeps best around 12 or 1 pm, but as I said earlier, we're usually out at that time. If I've had a horrible day and am totally exhausted, I'll sometimes just let them crash out for a couple hours around dinner time and let them stay up later after their "naps". But generally we discourage this.
#22 of 34 Old 08-24-2003, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If my almost 2-year-old happens to make it until 5:30 p.m. or so without a nap, he'll fall asleep then and sleep all night until 7:30ish the next morning. His little body still desperately needs a nap every day (usually 2-3 hours), and he very rarely makes it past 3:00 p.m. without a nap.

If my son was like your daughter and would actually wake up from a late nap and want to stay up late, I still don't think I would discourage late napping just because I would think it would make the child very irritable and unhappy to be forced to stay awake when exhausted. It is torture to me when I am extremely sleepy and something or someone is keeping me awake, so I'd imagine the child would feel the same way about it.

I do like to have my alone time in the evenings, though, so that's a tough call.
#23 of 34 Old 08-25-2003, 03:00 AM

I'm not talking about forcing someone who just can't stay up to stay up ... although we did have that situation at one a time.

Our building's elevator was being replaced and was out of commission for five weeks. Well, with a 4+yo and a 2+yo and a newborn in the sling, sometimes we'd be out and about and someone (or two) would fall asleep in the stroller. Now, if we were coming home from errands and I saw someone just nodding off in the stroller a block from home ... well, you bet I woke them up. Hard enough walking up five flights without having to carry sleeping children plus one being worn ...

Anyway, I know that's an unusual circumstance and not really what's being discussed, but there are times when they can put it off if need be.

If their heads are falling over and their eyes are closing and it's just not going to happen (the staying awake) no matter what we do, then we really don't have a say in it anyway, do we.
#24 of 34 Old 08-25-2003, 10:04 AM

I do discourage late naps with my 3.5 y/o. If I dont she is like all others and is up too late for me to handle, I NEED that time for myself and/or dh.

However, if I see that she is tired beyond words and suffering from the need to sleep I will let her take a cat nap, 15-20 minutes then I try to get her up. It is so hard to see her so sleepy that she is falling down from clumsiness and such. In these situations I have to look beyond my needs as an individual and step up as a mindful mother and let my time go for that day. This doesnt happen often so when it does I kind of enjoy having her up a bit later and really taking our time with bedtime, reading extra stories, enjoying time with each other while her sister is already sleeping.
#25 of 34 Old 08-25-2003, 01:48 PM

yes, yes, and yes....I discourage late naps. I'm all for listening to cues, but within reason. Sometimes, mommy really does know best. If dd doesn't take a nap, then the "late" nap is considered bedtime. At her age (19 months) she needs an early bedtime in order to get her 12 hours of sleep. Only that way is she refreshed and happy. Just like one of the other poster's said, you can't always do exactly what your child wants. Otherwise, we'd eat icecream and candy ALL day long and never take naps. When it is a matter of what she NEEDS (like solid restorative sleep) versus what she wants (to stay and play), then it's all about doing the Right thing! Just my 2 cents!

Libby
#26 of 34 Old 08-30-2003, 10:10 PM

My 13 month old still takes two naps. The first one is usually from 11:30-2 but then he is tired again from about 5-6:30. I actually welcome the second nap because that is when I have some time to spend 1 on 1 with my older son. We will play for awhile then make dinner together and eat once baby wakes up. They both go to bed around 10pm which I don't mind because I'm up till at least midnight. Baby wakes up at 8am and the older one at 9-10am.
#27 of 34 Old 08-30-2003, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
We don't usually run into problems there because DS goes for a nap everyday between 1 and 3 PM. But if we ever did have to face that situation I would let him nap. Even if it was just for half an hour, it would make him feel better and not be too much of a risk of pulling an all nighter with a 14 month old.

My neighbor does try to stay away from late naps. Usually by bedtime the kids are so wound that she ends up having a harder time getting them to sleep.
#28 of 34 Old 08-31-2003, 02:17 PM

Hi,
I'm fairly new to these boards, but I do have 4 kids so I thought I would add my 2 cents worth. I am struggling with the same issue with my 13 month old. If you do not have other children, it is much easier to go with the child's natural sleep/wake. However, when there are six of us, then we all need to give and take. I cannot let my son sleep at 6pm and then stay up to 11pm and expect to be pleasant during the nightwaking or getting everyone ready to school the next day. So we work on set bedtimes for everyone and some time for mom to herself! Hopefully! Good luck!
#29 of 34 Old 08-31-2003, 11:36 PM

In a word, yes. Since DS's was about 20, 21 months, we have days where naps just don't happen in the usual routine--we try but it just isn't happening. I have a few mommy guidelines I follow when this happens...

First, if he's not down by 2:30-3ish, I tend to discourage the nap at all. He's an UP ALL NIGHT guy if he takes a late nap. This is one of the few things that really drives me bonkers. Nighttime is my only downtime and I need it.

Second, once I realize that the nap isn't going to happen, I tend to keep activities light and less stimulating than usual for the remainder of the day. In addition, I feed him something hearty in the late afternoon because once he's tired, dinner can be iffy.

Third, I put him to bed early. Even as early as 6:30 if necessary... if he's in good spirits, I keep him up as long as he stays even keel, 7:30 is usually the latest he'll want to stay up if he hasn't napped. When things start getting rough around the edges, we do an abbreviated bedtime routine and off to slumber we go. He out in seconds and usually sleeps right on through to the usual wake up time.

If this only happens once a week, great. But I always try to help him back to his nap routine the very next day because honestly, he does better with the nap. If he goes two days in a row without one, there seems to be this cumulative effect on his sleep and it really changes his pesonality. KWIM?

Best of luck!

Em 43 - Wife to hubby Mom to DS born: Jan. '01
#30 of 34 Old 09-01-2003, 10:33 PM

I think a big part of APing is being in tune with your baby and providing the best atmosphere in general... sounds like you're doing just that.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page